ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 07-22-2021, 12:40 AM   #26
stormspencer
Elite Eight

Default Re: So we may be seeing the Big 12 RIP.

Damn straight! Bring it on....would love to go to the SEC. And btw, I think this would prove beneficial to our basketball program as well.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:51 AM   #27
WaymanFan
Administrator

I have no idea which Big XII schools are the highest ranked academically (guessing Texas is #1), but the Big 10 conference has higher academic standards than the other conferences. Because of that, I'm not sure which Big XII schools would measure up...but guessing the majority won't.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:05 AM   #28
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
I have no idea which Big XII schools are the highest ranked academically (guessing Texas is #1), but the Big 10 conference has higher academic standards than the other conferences. Because of that, I'm not sure which Big XII schools would measure up...but guessing the majority won't.
Kansas is an AAU school which is big for the Big 10. And I'm sure if the SEC thing falls through the Big 10 would take OU. I don't see the SEC thing falling through at this point though.

ACC will want to pick up some teams to get to 16. I think with the NIL money ND has to join a conference now at this point and I'm sure ACC or Big 10 would offer enough to get them to 16.

The PAC would be smart to add some Texas schools like Houston, Tech or Baylor.

Iowa State fits regionally in the Big 10 but I'm not sure the Big 10 would take them. Of course it depends on what goes on with Notre Dame.

I think we will either see Mountain West/AAC/Conference USA for the rest of the old Big 12 teams
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:24 AM   #29
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
OU going to SEC without OSU sounds completely fabricated. Can't imagine the state allowing that.
there is nothing keeping OU and osu in the same conf ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:25 AM   #30
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
Kansas is an AAU school which is big for the Big 10. And I'm sure if the SEC thing falls through the Big 10 would take OU. I don't see the SEC thing falling through at this point though.

ACC will want to pick up some teams to get to 16. I think with the NIL money ND has to join a conference now at this point and I'm sure ACC or Big 10 would offer enough to get them to 16.

The PAC would be smart to add some Texas schools like Houston, Tech or Baylor.

Iowa State fits regionally in the Big 10 but I'm not sure the Big 10 would take them. Of course it depends on what goes on with Notre Dame.

I think we will either see Mountain West/AAC/Conference USA for the rest of the old Big 12 teams
ND is in the ACC for all sports but football .. .and with the new 12 team playoff coming they have 0 reason to join a conf ..
Old 07-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #31
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
Precisely. If OU and the SEC both truly decide that they want this to happen, OSU will not a stumbling block.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:30 AM   #32
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
The Siamese twins perspective is an old and worn out one.
sheepdogs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #33
sdcloud9
Starter

Quote:
It's not like OU and OSU won't play twice every year anyway. I love this move for OU.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #34
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcloud9 View Post
It's not like OU and OSU won't play twice every year anyway. I love this move for OU.
why would we play twice every year if we aren't in the same conference?

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:35 AM   #35
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
why would we play twice every year if we aren't in the same conference?
because it would be a good home non con game for both teams .. to sell tickets
Old 07-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #36
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
because it would be a good home non con game for both teams .. to sell tickets

It would be once on an annual basis at most
Old 07-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #37
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
It would be once on an annual basis at most
disagree ..
Old 07-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #38
Darwin
Starter

I think it is about leverage and feeling out what the lay of the land will be with the massive shakeup that's coming when current contracts end. OU may feel the 4 super conference model isn't happening soon so this may be the next move.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:50 PM   #39
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
disagree ..

You believe they would schedule 2 non conference games between each other in a given year? When have other teams done this?
Old 07-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #40
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
You believe they would schedule 2 non conference games between each other in a given year? When have other teams done this?
Yeah, I find it very unlikely two noncon opponents would play twice a year. I canít think of any examples of this happening, though I may be overlooking some. Heck, when rivals/state schools go their separate ways, sometimes they donít even play once a year. Playing twice a year would really limit the rest of your noncon slate.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #41
BoulderSooner
Administrator

ou and osu added 2 non con home and home baseball games recently ..

and osu and OU basketball played home and home when they were in different conf's
Old 07-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #42
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Yeah, I find it very unlikely two noncon opponents would play twice a year. I canít think of any examples of this happening, though I may be overlooking some. Heck, when rivals/state schools go their separate ways, sometimes they donít even play once a year. Playing twice a year would really limit the rest of your noncon slate.
It might have occurred due to a holiday tournament type of thing, but that is an outlier scenario.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #43
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
ou and osu added 2 non con home and home baseball games recently ..

and osu and OU basketball played home and home when they were in different conf's
Sticking to basketball, that was then. I mean how many years ago was that? Modern day scheduling says nope.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #44
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Sticking to basketball, that was then. I mean how many years ago was that? Modern day scheduling says nope.
it would be a brand new situation ...

and because of tv /branding / this state it very very likely would happen ..

and that is from a very good source
Old 07-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #45
BCSooners
Sweet 16

They might go home/home to start, but that will eventually go to once a year. Cincinnati & Xavier don’t even go home/home anymore.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #46
thebigabd
National Champion

I really hate this move, and don't see it as a good thing for OU at all. I don't even think its good for the fans. I hate it all around.

On top of that, if OU and Texas leave I think Oklahoma State stands to be in a good position. Their two primary obstacles are gone, and they get to face an easier league and a better chance of getting the playoff birth.

New Big 12
Oklahoma State
Kansas State
Kansas
Iowa State
Texas Tech
Baylor
West Virginia
TCU
Cincinnati
Central Florida

If the Big 12 can stay in place after OU and Texas leave, and add some potentially good programs like Cincy and Central Florida, a team like OSU would have an opportunity to run the table and get in the playoff.

Lets assume for a second that Cincy, WVU, Baylor, UCF, Texas Tech, ISU, etc (or some combo of 4-5 of them) were all top 25 teams.... That happens REGULARLY. Not top 10, but #18... #24.... #12, etc. Those teams achieve that on a regular basis.

That's ENOUGH wins for an OSU to run the table and be in a playoff position.

Meanwhile, OU has to go to play Alabama, Texas, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Tennesee, etc. It's a total bloodbath.

OU hasn't won a championship in 21 years.... but they do have a great history of conference dominance. That ends most likely. It will be far less frequent if nothing else.

Am I wrong here?
Old 07-22-2021, 04:10 PM   #47
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I really hate this move, and don't see it as a good thing for OU at all. I don't even think its good for the fans. I hate it all around.

On top of that, if OU and Texas leave I think Oklahoma State stands to be in a good position. Their two primary obstacles are gone, and they get to face an easier league and a better chance of getting the playoff birth.

New Big 12
Oklahoma State
Kansas State
Kansas
Iowa State
Texas Tech
Baylor
West Virginia
TCU
Cincinnati
Central Florida

If the Big 12 can stay in place after OU and Texas leave, and add some potentially good programs like Cincy and Central Florida, a team like OSU would have an opportunity to run the table and get in the playoff.

Lets assume for a second that Cincy, WVU, Baylor, UCF, Texas Tech, ISU, etc (or some combo of 4-5 of them) were all top 25 teams.... That happens REGULARLY. Not top 10, but #18... #24.... #12, etc. Those teams achieve that on a regular basis.

Meanwhile, OU has to go to play Alabama, Texas, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Tennesee, etc. It's a total bloodbath.

OU hasn't won a championship in 21 years.... but they do have a great history of conference dominance. That ends most likely. It will be far less frequent if nothing else.

Am I wrong here?

Most are predicting the conference collapses.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:22 PM   #48
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post

New Big 12
Oklahoma State
Kansas State
Kansas
Iowa State
Texas Tech
Baylor
West Virginia
TCU
Cincinnati
Central Florida

Am I wrong here?
If OU & Texas leave itís no longer a P5 conference. They could run the table & still wonít be ranked top 4. They will also lose talented recruits because it wonít be a P5 conference anymore.

Also if the SEC turns into a super conference then the others will follow suit. About 3 more teams will get plucked away.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:29 PM   #49
red recluse
Starter

with the 12 team playoff, i am for the move in football. the move in basketball makes me want to jump off a ledge. an ingrown toenail is more fun than watching sec basketball.
red recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:37 PM   #50
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Best we will see is it be at the OKC arena every year with some big sponsor as a non-con Bedlam game. I think Mizzou and Illinois have in St. Louis every year. But it'll be weird not having Bedlam every year for basketball. I'm sure it would get a slot on ESPN every year.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote