ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 05-11-2021, 01:10 PM   #4476
TheMont
Role Player
 
TheMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 792
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
Our pitching concerns me.
Big ditto. Our close games this season feel a lot the 2017 and 2018 football teams -- we need every bit of our electric offense to win games, and I nervously bite my nails to the bone when we don't have the ball.

Though, to be fair, OU's pitching this year is nowhere near as bad as OU football's defense was at the end of the Mike Stoops era. I just hope the pitching woes don't hold us back from a championship like the Stoops defense did. I don't see us running the table without an elite game or two out of G.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #4477
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMont View Post
Big ditto. Our close games this season feel a lot the 2017 and 2018 football teams -- we need every bit of our electric offense to win games, and I nervously bite my nails to the bone when we don't have the ball.

Though, to be fair, OU's pitching this year is nowhere near as bad as OU football's defense was at the end of the Mike Stoops era. I just hope the pitching woes don't hold us back from a championship like the Stoops defense did. I don't see us running the table without an elite game or two out of G.

I expect UCLA to be a relatively heavy favorite to win the Natty because they have most of their 2019 national championship team still available. The have two outstanding with Garcia who beat us twice in the 2019 WCWS and Faraimo a near elite starter. And while we know that great pitching normally beats great hitting but this year's Sooner are not just a great hitting team they may be the best hitting team of all time. We will definitely have more than just a chance for that Natty. JMHO!
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:38 PM   #4478
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,459
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
I expect UCLA to be a relatively heavy favorite to win the Natty because they have most of their 2019 national championship team still available. The have two outstanding with Garcia who beat us twice in the 2019 WCWS and Faraimo a near elite starter. And while we know that great pitching normally beats great hitting but this year's Sooner are not just a great hitting team they may be the best hitting team of all time. We will definitely have more than just a chance for that Natty. JMHO!
Our pitching concerns me, too. Our offense is really good, I知 just not sure they can manufacture enough runs to beat the best teams we値l face later on if G or Shannon don稚 improve. I知 hoping one of them, or both, will rise to the occasion when the tournament lights come on.

Nicole May has been the most reliable of the three lately. Any chance Patty moves her into a starting position, or is that too much too soon for our freshman closer?
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:34 PM   #4479
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Our pitching concerns me, too. Our offense is really good, I知 just not sure they can manufacture enough runs to beat the best teams we値l face later on if G or Shannon don稚 improve. I知 hoping one of them, or both, will rise to the occasion when the tournament lights come on.

Nicole May has been the most reliable of the three lately. Any chance Patty moves her into a starting position, or is that too much too soon for our freshman closer?
Interesting question. May had 10 starts in her 21 appearances but only 2 (ISU & Texas) of her 10 starts were against conference teams or Georgia. Her last 6 appearances were all in relief as were 8 of her 10 appearances after the conference season began.

I don't see that changing as I see Patty and Rocha not wanting to take Juarez out of starting game 1 of a series for fear of damaging her confidence. And Saile who was her primary reliever/closer in 2019 has had massive recent control issues as we witnessed in game 3 against the pukes when she walked 4 and hit a batter in 2/3 of an inning.

Patty and Rocha are in a quandary.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #4480
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,357
Default Re: Softball

I think the fears are way overblown. We just won 2 out of 3 against the second best offense in the country. It wasn't surprising that our pitchers struggled somewhat against a team with hitting as good as OSU's.

We've lost two games all season one because we were tired and disinterested (yeah, if Bama can use that excuse, so can we) and the other against a Top 5-6 team that was jacked out of their minds wanting to beat OU.

Though I'm not a betting man, I predict that G and Shannon will pitch much better in the Big XII tourney and the rest of the postseason. The Sooners will have no problem beating the teams we'll see in regionals and SR. When we get to the WCWS, we can still win with great offense and average-to-good performances from G, Shannon and Nicole.

I'd say our chances of beating Montana Fouts or Gabbie Plain are about 60 percent. Not more than 50 percent chance of beating Garcia.
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:23 PM   #4481
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
I think the fears are way overblown. We just won 2 out of 3 against the second best offense in the country. It wasn't surprising that our pitchers struggled somewhat against a team with hitting as good as OSU's.

We've lost two games all season one because we were tired and disinterested (yeah, if Bama can use that excuse, so can we) and the other against a Top 5-6 team that was jacked out of their minds wanting to beat OU.

Though I'm not a betting man, I predict that G and Shannon will pitch much better in the Big XII tourney and the rest of the postseason. The Sooners will have no problem beating the teams we'll see in regionals and SR. When we get to the WCWS, we can still win with great offense and average-to-good performances from G, Shannon and Nicole.

I'd say our chances of beating Montana Fouts or Gabbie Plain are about 60 percent. Not more than 50 percent chance of beating Garcia.
Don't forget OU likely will have to beat Garcia twice and the last time we faced Garcia was the 2019 WCWS finals when Garcia beat OU twice. If it comes down to an OU vs UCLA the bruins will be a strong favorite in Vegas as they know full well Garcia is the only elite college pitcher in college softball today.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #4482
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,357
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Don't forget OU likely will have to beat Garcia twice and the last time we faced Garcia was the 2019 WCWS finals when Garcia beat OU twice. If it comes down to an OU vs UCLA the bruins will be a strong favorite in Vegas as they know full well Garcia is the only elite college pitcher in college softball today.
UCLA would be the favorite, and rightfully so.

But this isn't the same Oklahoma team the Bruins beat in 2019.
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #4483
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
UCLA would be the favorite, and rightfully so.

But this isn't the same Oklahoma team the Bruins beat in 2019.
You are correct the 2019 team had much better more consistent pitching and the 2021 team is a much better hitting team.

As we all know historically quality pitching normally beat quality hitting. But in a short 3 game series who knows. What we do know is in 2019 OU was a slightly better hitting team than UCLA and UCLA was a slightly better pitching team than OU primarily because UCLA had an elite pitcher in Garcia.

In their series for the WCWS championship their pitching out performed both our hitting and pitching for a 2 game sweep primarily because of Garcia started both games and threw 12 of the 14 innings. And UCLA still has Garcia in 2021 and she has a season era of 0.59 and has allowed on 3 HRs in 83 innings (1/27.7 innings) versus Juarez's era of 2.59 and 17 HRs allowed (1/5.1 innings)

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/110/stat...egory_id=14861

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stat...egory_id=14861
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 05-12-2021 at 03:15 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #4484
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,143
Default Re: Softball

Sooners Dominate Big 12 Awards

NORMAN Oklahoma Softball collected four of the five individual awards from the Big 12 conference and placed all eight nominees on all-conference teams with an additional three named to the freshman team. The league announced the honors Wednesday.

Jocelyn Alo was named Big 12 Player of the Year, Grace Lyons earned Defensive Player of the Year, Tiare Jennings garnered Freshman of the Year and head coach Patty Gasso was voted Coach of the Year. The honorees were selected by a vote of the conference head coaches.

Alo collects OU's 14th Big 12 Player of the Year award and fifth in the last six seasons. The top-10 finalist for USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year has paced the Sooners and NCAA at the plate in 2021. She leads the country in home runs (26) and slugging percentage (1.147) and ranks second in RBIs (71) and seventh in batting average (.481). In league play, Alo is batting .500 with seven home runs, 22 RBIs and a 1.042 slugging clip.

Lyons, the anchor of OU's nation-leading defense, wins OU's fourth Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year award of the last five seasons. The junior has started all 44 games of the season and all 131 games of her career at shortstop dating back to her freshman season. In 2021, she has registered 45 putouts and 50 assists to just three errors for a .969 fielding percentage. Additionally, the Peoria, Ariz., native has turned six double plays on the year. Lyons has been equally impressive at the plate with a .447 batting average, 12 home runs and 42 RBIs.

One of two freshmen in the country named as a top-10 finalist for USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year, Jennings wins OU's sixth consecutive Big 12 Freshman of the Year award and ninth overall. She was the unanimous choice for the award by the league's head coaches. The San Pedro, Calif., product has been exceptional at the plate and in the field in 2021. She's blasted 23 home runs, good for third in the country, batted in a nation-leading 72 runs and ranks 10th with a .468 batting average. In the Big 12, Jennings ranks first in RBIs, runs scored (60) and shares the lead with 14 doubles. She's second in the country and conference to teammate Alo with a 1.057 slugging percentage. In the field, Jennings has started every game of her rookie campaign at second or third base and registered 44 putouts and 35 assists to two errors for a .975 fielding percentage.

NFCA Hall of Fame head coach Patty Gasso collects her ninth consecutive Big 12 Coach of the Year honor and 13th overall in her 27 seasons at Oklahoma. Gasso has led the Sooners to a 42-2 overall record and their ninth straight Big 12 regular season title, along with an 11-week hold on the No. 1 national ranking in both major polls. No other Big 12 coach has won more than three Big 12 Coach of the Year awards.

OU collected a league-best 11 spots across the three all-conference teams. The Sooners placed five on the All-Big 12 First Team with freshman Jayda Coleman and redshirt senior Shannon Saile joining Alo, Lyons and Jennings. Alo and Saile were unanimous selections.

Sophomore Mackenzie Donihoo, senior Lynnsie Elam and redshirt senior Giselle Juarez were placed on the All-Big 12 Second Team while Coleman, Jennings and Nicole May garnered unanimous All-Big 12 Freshman Team honors.

Alo's first team accolade marks her third All-Big 12 First Team selection while Coleman, Lyons, Jennings and Saile collect their first selection. Saile was a second-teamer in 2019. Donihoo and Elam are awarded their first conference honor while Juarez wins her third after being named Pitcher of the Year and All-Big 12 First Team in 2019.

OU's five first-team selection ties for second most in program history behind the six selections the 2000 and 2019 teams garnered.

No. 1 OU returns to the field this weekend for the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship in Oklahoma City. The top-seeded Sooners open pool play Friday with fourth-seeded Baylor at 2 p.m. CT before a 7:30 p.m. matchup with six seed Texas Tech. The championship game will be played Saturday at 3 p.m.

OU's first two games of the weekend will be shown on Big 12 NOW on ESPN+ while the championship game will air on ESPN2. All the action can be heard on The Franchise 2 (103.3 FM, 1560 AM) in Oklahoma and nationwide on the TuneIn app.

https://soonersports.com/news/2021/5...12-awards.aspx
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #4485
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,357
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
You are correct the 2019 team had much better more consistent pitching and the 2021 team is a much better hitting team.

As we all know historically quality pitching normally beat quality hitting. But in a short 3 game series who knows. What we do know is in 2019 OU was a slightly better hitting team than UCLA and UCLA was a slightly better pitching team than OU primarily because UCLA had an elite pitcher in Garcia.

In their series for the WCWS championship their pitching out performed both our hitting and pitching for a 2 game sweep primarily because of Garcia started both games and threw 12 of the 14 innings. And UCLA still has Garcia in 2021 and she has a season era of 0.59 and has allowed on 3 HRs in 83 innings (1/27.7 innings) versus Juarez's era of 2.59 and 17 HRs allowed (1/5.1 innings)

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/110/stat...egory_id=14861

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stat...egory_id=14861
I guess we should set our sights on second place.
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #4486
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
I guess we should set our sights on second place.
I don't think we set our sights on 2nd stressing instead everything possible to win the natty while realizing the probably of it happening is not great. Which should mitigate or disappointment should we fail.

Anyone can win a 3 game series with an unexpected break or two. Even last place Kansas gave our puke neighbors to the north their only conference loss excepting their 2 losses to the Sooners.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:37 AM   #4487
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,357
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
I don't think we set our sights on 2nd stressing instead everything possible to win the natty while realizing the probably of it happening is not great. Which should mitigate or disappointment should we fail.

Anyone can win a 3 game series with an unexpected break or two. Even last place Kansas gave our puke neighbors to the north their only conference loss excepting their 2 losses to the Sooners.
Are you saying the likelihood of Oklahoma beating UCLA in a best-of-three series is comparable to that Kansas win over O-State?

UCLA with Garcia in the circle is formidable, to say the least. But I can't help but recall 2017 when no one gave the Sooners a chance against Florida and the unbeatable Barnhill and Gourley.
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:04 AM   #4488
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
Are you saying the likelihood of Oklahoma beating UCLA in a best-of-three series is comparable to that Kansas win over O-State?

UCLA with Garcia in the circle is formidable, to say the least. But I can't help but recall 2017 when no one gave the Sooners a chance against Florida and the unbeatable Barnhill and Gourley.
As you cite anyone can beat anyone on a given day. But the likely Vegas odds will indicate UCLA is the favorite. Which doesn't mean they will win just that they are likely to win.

All I did was give a relative recent example of a situation where the best team does not always win with the Kansas reference with no other inference.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #4489
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,357
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
As you cite anyone can beat anyone on a given day. But the likely Vegas odds will indicate UCLA is the favorite. Which doesn't mean they will win just that they are likely to win.

All I did was give a relative recent example of a situation where the best team does not always win with the Kansas reference with no other inference.
I think we basically agree, Spock, except for the part about "best team." I believe the more accurate term would be "best pitcher."
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #4490
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Softball

My position is based totally on the premise that quality pitching normally beats quality hitting but we did win the nattys we have won because we hit the ball against the quality pitching of the WCWS averaging 4.8, 5.0 and 6.4 runs in 3 nattys but only 2.25 (2, 3, 1 and 3) runs/game in the 2000 wins.

Our pitching only somewhat failed us in 2016 when we allowed an average of 3.7 runs per game in the WCWS fortunately our offense was up to the task averaging 6.4 runs.

Against Auburn for the championship in 2016 we gave up 11 runs to tigers in the second game but ultimately won with pitching winning game 1 3-2 and game 3 2-1. Thank you Paige Parker.

https://soonersports.com/sports/softball/schedule/2016
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 05-14-2021 at 12:38 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #4491
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,357
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
My position is based totally on the premise that quality pitching normally beats quality hitting but we did win the nattys we have won because we hit the ball against the quality pitching of the WCWS averaging 4.8, 5.0 and 6.4 runs in 3 nattys but only 2.25 (2, 3, 1 and 3) runs/game in the 2000 wins.

Our pitching only somewhat failed us in 2016 when we allowed an average of 3.7 runs per game in the WCWS fortunately our offense was up to the task averaging 6.4 runs.

Against Auburn for the championship in 2016 we gave up 11 runs to tigers in the second game but ultimately won with pitching winning game 1 3-2 and game 3 2-1. Thank you Paige Parker.

https://soonersports.com/sports/softball/schedule/2016
Yep!
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:54 PM   #4492
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Softball

OU run rules Baylor 10-2 and the pukes beat the whorns 3-2 so barring a major upset by Tech or ISU it will be the Sooners vs the pukes tomorrow night for the tournament championship.

https://big12sports.com/documents/20...al.pdf?id=6256
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:04 PM   #4493
Soonerguy06
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 763
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
I think we basically agree, Spock, except for the part about "best team." I believe the more accurate term would be "best pitcher."
If UCLA has the hitting ability they did against us in 2019, on top of their elite pitching, they should beat us. Just my opinion. They are in a much tougher conference and had we been in the same conference this year we would have more losses, hands down.
If we could steal a transfer pitcher in the off-season next season would be best looking team we've had maybe ever. What are the odds of stealing Texas's pitcher that sat out this season for next season?
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #4494
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,143
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerguy06 View Post
If UCLA has the hitting ability they did against us in 2019, on top of their elite pitching, they should beat us. Just my opinion. They are in a much tougher conference and had we been in the same conference this year we would have more losses, hands down.
If we could steal a transfer pitcher in the off-season next season would be best looking team we've had maybe ever. What are the odds of stealing Texas's pitcher that sat out this season for next season?
Nothing against our current pitchers but I would think any elite pitcher who wants to transfer would have OU at the top of their list.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:51 PM   #4495
skyvue
Final Four
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,864
Default Re: Softball

Sooners run-rule the aggies to take the Big 12 tourney title. Very nice win. oswho was the last conference team we hadn't run-ruled this season, so one more box checked.
__________________
展hen most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.
優r. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #4496
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Nothing against our current pitchers but I would think any elite pitcher who wants to transfer would have OU at the top of their list.

Just my opinion but there are likely several high quality pitchers that are apt to enter the transfer portal. However, it is my take that UCLA's Rachel Garcia is the only elite pitcher in college softball in 2021. 14-0, 0.60 era, 94.0 innings and 3 HRs allowed (1/31.33 innings).

Our key in the circle in 2022 is likely Nicole May and incoming freshman Jordyn Bahl.

https://uclabruins.com/documents/202...021SBStats.pdf

https://www.softballamerica.com/stor...s-at-oklahoma/
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 05-15-2021 at 07:26 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:08 PM   #4497
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,143
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Just my opinion but there are likely several high quality pitchers that are apt to enter the transfer portal. However, it is my take that UCLA's Rachel Garcia is the only elite pitcher in college softball in 2021. 14-0, 0.60 era, 94.0 innings and 3 HRs allowed (1/31.33 innings).

Our key in the circle in 2022 is likely Nicole May and incoming freshman Jordyn Bahl.

https://uclabruins.com/documents/202...021SBStats.pdf

https://www.softballamerica.com/stor...s-at-oklahoma/
I haven't seen Garcia play. I did watch the last few innings of the Bama/Florida game and the Bama pitcher was impressive.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:53 AM   #4498
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
I haven't seen Garcia play. I did watch the last few innings of the Bama/Florida game and the Bama pitcher was impressive.
Bama's Montana Fouts a junior might be the closest thing to Garcia. She has great stuff and throws the ball up to 73 mph. But she has never had an extremely low era (career 1.52) due to playing in the SEC or at least that seems to be the excuse.

One noteworthy point is innings pitched. She has thrown 175.2 innings and likely another 40+ before season's end this year compared to Garcia's 94.0, Juarez's 91.1 and Saile's 77.0 which might another 30-35 innings.

The tide's coach Murphy has always seemed to heavily use his starters something Patty abandoned somewhat after Paige Parker's 252.1 innings in 2016 dropping her to 187.1 in 2019.


https://stats.ncaa.org/player/index?...egory_id=14861

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/110/stat...egory_id=14861

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stat...egory_id=13301

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stat...egory_id=14861
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:01 AM   #4499
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Softball

Puke perspective on loss to the Sooners in B12 tourney. Kenny Gajewski had very positive comments regarding the Sooners. Always does which I am certain puke fans detest. He is now a puke but I like that guy.

https://www.stwnewspress.com/sports/...988a70ae5.html

OUDaily article:

https://www.oudaily.com/sports/weve-...9b5e29519.html
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 05-16-2021 at 02:43 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:18 AM   #4500
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,357
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Bama's Montana Fouts a junior might be the closest thing to Garcia. She has great stuff and throws the ball up to 73 mph. But she has never had an extremely low era (career 1.52) due to playing in the SEC or at least that seems to be the excuse.

One noteworthy point is innings pitched. She has thrown 175.2 innings and likely another 40+ before season's end this year compared to Garcia's 94.0, Juarez's 91.1 and Saile's 77.0 which might another 30-35 innings.

The tide's coach Murphy has always seemed to heavily use his starters something Patty abandoned somewhat after Paige Parker's 252.1 innings in 2016 dropping her to 187.1 in 2019.


https://stats.ncaa.org/player/index?...egory_id=14861

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/110/stat...egory_id=14861

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stat...egory_id=13301

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stat...egory_id=14861
Fouts IS elite. When Montana is on her game, she rivals Garcia as the best pitcher in softball (Gabbie Plain could be included in that conversation).

Fouts' problem, as you implied, is potentially being over-used. Murphy has no choice but to pitch her a bunch of innings, since she's the only pitcher on his staff that can dominate top opponents. Murph's walking a tightrope, because he runs the risk of wearing down his ace, especially if he has to give her too many innings in the SR and WCWS.
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com