ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 04-27-2021, 07:17 AM   #1
WichitaSooner
All-American

Default Brothers Groves

Really nice article about them in The Athletic today. Talks about how lightly recruited they were in high school, how they improved after getting to college, and what ultimately led them to decide OU was the best fit. Tanner said one thing he liked was that Moser recruited them separately rather than as a package deal; he spoke with Tanner first, then said he would study video and decide whether Jacob would be a good fit.

Was interesting to read that Jacob only hit eight 3s all season before the KU game. I do worry that some fans will have unrealistic expectations based on only having watched them play once, on their absolute best day, but Iím confident they both will really help us.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:21 AM   #2
sdcloud9
Starter

Default Re: Brothers Groves

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Really nice article about them in The Athletic today. Talks about how lightly recruited they were in high school, how they improved after getting to college, and what ultimately led them to decide OU was the best fit. Tanner said one thing he liked was that Moser recruited them separately rather than as a package deal; he spoke with Tanner first, then said he would study video and decide whether Jacob would be a good fit.

Was interesting to read that Jacob only hit eight 3s all season before the KU game. I do worry that some fans will have unrealistic expectations based on only having watched them play once, on their absolute best day, but Iím confident they both will really help us.
I totally agree.....fans tend to judge players by their best day when it should be what they bring to the table every day. I think they'll both contribute and OU will be better for having them.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:31 AM   #3
soonerbms
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post

This is know as Trevor Knight Alabama Reaction Syndrome in the medical community. Itís when a player looks all world against a superb opponent but then plays like trash the next season.
soonerbms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:32 AM   #4
pnkranger
All-American

Make no mistake, we took Groves because of his passing, rebounding, and scoring around the basket ... and his potential to defend in Moser's system. Any three point shooting we get is a bonus.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:01 AM   #5
BoulderSooner
Administrator

if anyone wants a 30 day guest pass to the athletic PM me .. i think you will find it is well worth it . .
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #6
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
Make no mistake, we took Groves because of his passing, rebounding, and scoring around the basket ... and his potential to defend in Moser's system. Any three point shooting we get is a bonus.
jacob is the little brother .. tanner hit 17 on about 2 attempts a game before KU

UNC and UVA both came after Tanner Groves

Last edited by BoulderSooner; 04-27-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:06 AM   #7
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
if anyone wants a 30 day guest pass to the athletic PM me .. i think you will find it is well worth it . .
the story says Jacob is now 6'9 fyi
Old 04-27-2021, 08:19 AM   #8
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
If his made 3s were actually just 2 pt shots then that's okay with us. As long as he can show some range and cause the opposing defense headaches then it's mission accomplished.
sheepdogs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:25 AM   #9
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
No question about it! It would be a mistake to assume any player not named Stephen Curry is going to be consistent from three in every game. It’s obvious Porter Moser’s greatest strength is his ability to teach and then coach players who buy into his system of basic fundamentals, most of them clearly defined in your post. I see no reason to believe that will change.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:13 PM   #10
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

Quote:
this is exactly how I see it. Even a blind squirrel gets an acorn once in awhile..(as far as 3's).
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:25 AM   #11
lexusooner
Walk-on

That’s a great story. Sounds like Tanner had it clicking all season dominating in the mid-major ranks. Jacob played inconsistently all year then got hot over the last several games.
One D1 offer for Tanner and Jacob began as a walk on. Can’t help but root for the kids sounds like they’re having fun.
Having a coach with a reputation for turning successful mid-major post players into successful B12 post players is to our advantage with the transfer portal the new way of life in the recruiting world.
lexusooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:06 AM   #12
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
this is exactly how I see it. Even a blind squirrel gets an acorn once in awhile..(as far as 3's).
the center groves brother made 3's all season ..