ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-23-2021, 12:24 PM   #51
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Default Re: Ethan Chargois to Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Chargois was asked to be the 5 all 4 years at SMU. By stats, and Manek was on a better team so really his stats would be higher if he was at SMU, Manek is a better rebounder, 3pt shooter, finisher, and blocked more shots. I wasn't a big Manek fan, but I also don't think Chargois is going to provide OU with anything more than what Dante Buford did. You say he knows how to play inside, but his shooting % proves that otherwise. I really hope he's a good defender because if he's not I just don't think he's that big an upgrade over KK or if Vic had his head on straight.

As far as Chargois & Tanner over Manek & Vic? Duh, Tanner moves the needle big time.
From a previous post.

"During his freshman and sophomore he took a lot more shots and shot 58% and 50% respectively from 2 point range."

These are good to very good numbers.

In addition, Brady averaged 5 rebounds last season according to ESPN while Ethan had 5.4 with less playing time. Their best rebounding seasons were identical at 6.2 and Brady played a bit more/game than Ethan.

Last edited by sheepdogs1; 04-23-2021 at 12:35 PM.
sheepdogs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #52
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Chargois was asked to be the 5 all 4 years at SMU. By stats, and Manek was on a better team so really his stats would be higher if he was at SMU, Manek is a better rebounder, 3pt shooter, finisher, and blocked more shots. I wasn't a big Manek fan, but I also don't think Chargois is going to provide OU with anything more than what Dante Buford did. You say he knows how to play inside, but his shooting % proves that otherwise. I really hope he's a good defender because if he's not I just don't think he's that big an upgrade over KK or if Vic had his head on straight.

As far as Chargois & Tanner over Manek & Vic? Duh, Tanner moves the needle big time.
You don't know Manek's stats would be higher at SMU. Manek was the 5 at OU this year. He played with a bunch of guards. He should have had DOUBLE the rebounds he had. Chargois played on the court at the same time as another really good rebounder(Hunt) and other bigs. Manek should have cleaned up as a rebounder with all the midgets around him.

You are the one who replied to my comment and changed the narrative that Chargois was better than Manek. I said "he will be an upgrade to what we've had". And I totally stand by that. Nobody knows what the new roles will be and how the lineup and rotation will shake out. And nobody knows how guys will play, of course.

If I were picking a team and needed a 5 and was picking between Chargois and Manek, from what i've seen i'd choose Chargois. If I was picking a 4, and already had a tremendously talented, physical banger at the 5 I MAY choose Manek. It depends on my scheme and what I want my 4 to do. If it was camp outside the 3 pt line and shoot 3s? Maybe Manek. If it was work in tandem with my 5 down low and fight and scrape? Probably Chargois. How many games did we lose because we couldnt' get a * defensive rebound? More that I can freaking count! How many times did the opposing team get an ole'!! from Manek on their way to bullying him for a score inside? Yes, you guessed it, more than I can count.
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:57 PM   #53
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Welcome to OU Ethan!

Honestly it won't take much to be better than Kur/and or Vic. If he can do almost 9 and almost 6 at OU like he did at SMU, that will be good. Oklahoma boy too, which is always nice.

Now, Porter can focus on '22 bigs..
agree 100 %...
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #54
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-Fool View Post
Considering the front court talent we’ve worked with over the past 2-3 years, Ethan would’ve been a welcome addition to the team and perhaps even a starter. He’s 6’9. Can hit the 3. Has solid footwork and a mid-range game. Calling him our #2 post is a coup.
Finally, a voice of reason in this love fest for a front court that was woefully lacking in nearly every area of the game last season.

I think the Groves brothers, Hill and Chargois have the potential to be our best front court in years. If we add another big, I see that as a bonus. I honestly believe this team of bigs is already head and shoulders better than last year. I say that with all due respect for our departed players on a personal level. This group is simply better, and it’s not even close.
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #55
WichitaSooner
All-American

The starting front court in ‘19-20 was Doo (first team all league) and Brady, who averaged 14.4 and 6.2 boards and shot 38 percent from deep. That’s a pretty dang nice combo. Yep, we all know Brady has defensive issues. Yep, we all know that neither of them played like old school bigs. But the sport has changed dramatically in recent years and not many teams have a lot of traditional bigs. The guys we have coming in will absolutely be better at certain things than most of our recent posts, but some people are acting like it’s been years since we have had post players who do anything well. That’s not remotely true.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:33 PM   #56
Sooner04
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-Fool View Post
Considering the front court talent we’ve worked with over the past 2-3 years, Ethan would’ve been a welcome addition to the team and perhaps even a starter. He’s 6’9. Can hit the 3. Has solid footwork and a mid-range game. Calling him our #2 post is a coup.
Bingo. Instead we were forced to watch our 5 "show" 38-feet from the basket time and time again. Ethan would've looked good in crimson and cream for four years, but I'm happy we'll at least get him for one. I guess I'll get over the fact that he's not much of "rim protector".

(Cough)
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:39 PM   #57
sanguinetti
Role Player

i think it's a good get for us. not crazy about the Manek comparison since Brady played "out of position" for us a lot. and i credit him taking that role. but, i can also see from his end....and a chance to suit up at UNC, so be it. go for it young man.

10 days ago we didn't have enough bodies to win 10 games....especially in the post. AAC is a pretty good league.

i'm on board with it.
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #58
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

I only see a resemblence to Manek with his outside shot but he does a better job of getting open both outside and going to the hoop than Manek.

And his inside game is light years better than Brady. Manek probably a better rebounder but not by a lot.

He and the Groves boys and Hill gives us a solid inside game which was probably our biggest weakness in 20-21. The need to help inside on defense really hurt us defending the trey.

From the film I have seen of Loyola's games shows great movement away from the ball to get open. Ethan will do well in that offense.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #59
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
From a previous post.

"During his freshman and sophomore he took a lot more shots and shot 58% and 50% respectively from 2 point range."

These are good to very good numbers.

In addition, Brady averaged 5 rebounds last season according to ESPN while Ethan had 5.4 with less playing time. Their best rebounding seasons were identical at 6.2 and Brady played a bit more/game than Ethan.
So he was better as a freshman sophomore at shooting. How does that help next year? Again they are identical rebounders, imo Brady is better, and people (including me) b**ch constantly about his rebounding.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #60
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
You don't know Manek's stats would be higher at SMU. Manek was the 5 at OU this year. He played with a bunch of guards. He should have had DOUBLE the rebounds he had. Chargois played on the court at the same time as another really good rebounder(Hunt) and other bigs. Manek should have cleaned up as a rebounder with all the midgets around him.

You are the one who replied to my comment and changed the narrative that Chargois was better than Manek. I said "he will be an upgrade to what we've had". And I totally stand by that. Nobody knows what the new roles will be and how the lineup and rotation will shake out. And nobody knows how guys will play, of course.

If I were picking a team and needed a 5 and was picking between Chargois and Manek, from what i've seen i'd choose Chargois. If I was picking a 4, and already had a tremendously talented, physical banger at the 5 I MAY choose Manek. It depends on my scheme and what I want my 4 to do. If it was camp outside the 3 pt line and shoot 3s? Maybe Manek. If it was work in tandem with my 5 down low and fight and scrape? Probably Chargois. How many games did we lose because we couldnt' get a * defensive rebound? More that I can freaking count! How many times did the opposing team get an ole'!! from Manek on their way to bullying him for a score inside? Yes, you guessed it, more than I can count.
If he got more shots & the ball in his hands more against worse competition he’d have better stats, not hard to comprehend. Of course his efficiency could take a hit, like Chargois’ wasn’t good.

Double rebounds? Lol, you want him to average 10 rebounds a game? Fight & scrape? Great interior D? Have you seen Chargois? You act like we are getting Spangler...we aren’t. What has Chargois shown that he’ll be better than KK, much less Manek?
Old 04-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #61
skyvue
Final Four

It's impressive that a player who merely "had some good games" ranks 14th all-time in scoring at OU (just three points out of 13th place), this despite playing out of position for much of his career and dealing with Covid and a detached lung his senior season. And then to get snapped up by a blue blood program soon after hitting the portal? Remarkable, really.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #62
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
It's impressive that a player who merely "had some good games" ranks 14th all-time in scoring at OU (just three points out of 13th place), this despite playing out of position for much of his career and dealing with Covid and a detached lung his senior season. And then to get snapped up by a blue blood program soon after hitting the portal? Remarkable, really.
Manek was a great career player. I wish he would’ve progressed more in other areas of his game, me & others thought he could’ve been a 3/4 player instead of a 4/5. But he never progressed his perimeter game (ball handling & defense). He was also hurt by the game moving to the perimeter & smaller lineups, which left him no one to guard.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #63
Stikboy
All-Conference

I make a post trying to give an opinion on how I believe Chargois will be good for us... a positive post... in the midst of some pretty negative ones. Not even mentioning Manek at all. And somehow you old bitties twist, obfuscate, and do your usual hyper-paranoid creation of some ridiculous argument defending something that wasn't even made mention of in the first place. You cannot make this * up. Congratulations ladies!
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #64
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
I make a post trying to give an opinion on how I believe Chargois will be good for us... a positive post... in the midst of some pretty negative ones. Not even mentioning Manek at all. And somehow you old bitties twist, obfuscate, and do your usual hyper-paranoid creation of some ridiculous argument defending something that wasn't even made mention of in the first place. You cannot make this * up. Congratulations ladies!
You said he was a definite upgrade, quoting someone who said Chargois would probably be a starter in the frontcourt. I simply asked as politely as I could if you thought he’d be an upgrade over Manek since he was a 4 year starter in the froncourt that was considered, even by me, as the weak link of the team. You answered with a 3 paragraph bombardment of defensiveness ridiculing our previous front court with many exclamation points. So I give comparisons that might show Manek is better, and that your reasoning that Chargois is an upgrade might be wrong.

I was hoping for a reply for your reasoning why you thought Chargois would be better. Instead you complain about over reactions over a question towards you in which you reply with an over reaction.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:49 PM   #65
Eielson
All-Conference

I don't think Chargois is an upgrade over Manek. I do think he's an upgrade over the rest of our frontcourt departures.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:46 AM   #66
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I don't think Chargois is an upgrade over Manek. I do think he's an upgrade over the rest of our frontcourt departures.
He's not an upgrade over Manek, and he doesn't have to be. He and the Groves brothers need to be more productive than Manek, Iwuakor and Kuath. On paper, it appears they will. Let's hope it translates on the court as well.

Where I'm going to miss Brady is when his outside shot is falling (ex: against Missouri). We just didn't lose many games when he was knocking them jumpers down. If he was able to do that against Gonzaga, we would have really scared them. I'm hoping with that last scholly we get someone who can stretch the defense like he did. We really need to focus on offense with that last scholly.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:07 AM   #67
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
the highlite video of him on DB he most definitely is an up grade, at least offensively than any post we had.

Vic was athletic but not a ball player. Anytime he touched the ball, outside of a putback he was lost. This kid can put the ball on the floor from the 3 pt line, drive and finish.

If we can get 8 or 9 pts and 5/6 boards from him it'll be great.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #68
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

Manek's high production is higher than Chargois
Manek's low production is lower than Chargois

Manek produced more than Chargois will when hot.
Chargois will produce more than Manek when Brady was not hot.

Inside offense and defense and consistency was Manek's weakness.

But other than size and outside shooting I don't see much to compare. Pretty different players overall.

Not downing Brady. One of my favorite Sooners. Will watch UNC basketball some now just to see how he is doing.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:02 AM   #69
sdcloud9
Starter

[quote=WaymanFan;678984]He's not an upgrade over Manek, and he doesn't have to be. He and the Groves brothers need to be more productive than Manek, Iwuakor and Kuath. On paper, it appears they will. Let's hope it translates on the court as well.

I totally agree.....on paper, the front court is better.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #70
Dr Sleep
Walk-on

People love to bash on Manek. He should have played the 3 and 4, but he played the 5 too much I liked seeing him a KK in the game together. I don't know much about Ethan than an couple articles I read. Different player, but doubt he is a better player than Manek.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #71
BanjoCharley
Starter

For this years team he is 100% better because he is here and Manek is not.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:30 PM   #72
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sleep View Post
People love to bash on Manek. He should have played the 3 and 4, but he played the 5 too much I liked seeing him a KK in the game together. I don't know much about Ethan than an couple articles I read. Different player, but doubt he is a better player than Manek.
Absolutely not
Old 04-24-2021, 11:49 PM   #73
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
the highlite video of him on DB he most definitely is an up grade
Everybody looks good on a highlight video. If not, you need to fire the videographer.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:15 AM   #74
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Absolutely not
Agreed. Some folks around here don't really understand positions very well.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:19 AM   #75
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Agreed. Some folks around here don't really understand positions very well.
I know all the positions.