ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-22-2021, 07:59 PM   #26
TINY
All-Conference

Default Re: Ethan Chargois to Oklahoma

Does he have a relationship with BT?
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:30 PM   #27
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Eh well OU needed a 3rd post with Vic leaving.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:25 AM   #28
tmeyer3307
Role Player

Chargois more of a backup 5 for us or compete with Hill at the 4? More of a 3 man rotation with him, Hill and Groves with Big Rick getting 5-12min a game? I was just thinking if Big Rick isn't the guy, Chargois plays more 5 and little Groves splits time at 4 more with Hill then.
tmeyer3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #29
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer3307 View Post
Chargois more of a backup 5 for us or compete with Hill at the 4? More of a 3 man rotation with him, Hill and Groves with Big Rick getting 5-12min a game? I was just thinking if Big Rick isn't the guy, Chargois plays more 5 and little Groves splits time at 4 more with Hill then.
Jacob (little) groves is more a guard than a post. Just FYI.

He’s plying outside 95% of the time. But will defend a big if needed.

Ethan and tanner are our inside defenders. Ethan will likely back up tanner.
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #30
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:
Chargois 1st big off the bench IMO. Hill starts at the 4 and goes about 50-50 with the smaller groves bro.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:35 AM   #31
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Chargois 1st big off the bench IMO. Hill starts at the 4 and goes about 50-50 with the smaller groves bro.
Because of hill’s athleticism and ability to defend multiple positions, I also think we can go big at times with Hill at the 3, J Groves at the 4, and T Groves at the 5. Or go small with hill at the 5 and J groves at the 4. Hopefully issanza can develop as a defender this year.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #32
mict085
All-Conference

I don’t think Jacob groves is going to play in the post very much. He’s a perimeter player and does most of his damage from the outside.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:07 AM   #33
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
i think he plays the back up 5 .. but he also very much could start at the 4
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:29 AM   #34
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Chargois highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhe81VVW49M&t=101s
Old 04-23-2021, 09:30 AM   #35
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
i think he is a bit better then some are giving him credit for
Old 04-23-2021, 09:42 AM   #36
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
I like what I see with the caveat that this is a highlight video. Those don't always tell the whole story.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:49 AM   #37
NYC-Fool
Walk-on

Considering the front court talent we’ve worked with over the past 2-3 years, Ethan would’ve been a welcome addition to the team and perhaps even a starter. He’s 6’9. Can hit the 3. Has solid footwork and a mid-range game. Calling him our #2 post is a coup.
NYC-Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #38
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
I like what I see with the caveat that this is a highlight video. Those don't always tell the whole story.
There’s a pretty good highlight video out there that shows good and bad. I’ll see if I can track it down
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #39
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
There’s a pretty good highlight video out there that shows good and bad. I’ll see if I can track it down
https://youtu.be/bguYy6fub0E
Old 04-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #40
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-Fool View Post
Considering the front court talent we’ve worked with over the past 2-3 years, Ethan would’ve been a welcome addition to the team and perhaps even a starter. He’s 6’9. Can hit the 3. Has solid footwork and a mid-range game. Calling him our #2 post is a coup.
I agree with this. Regardless of his rating or offers, he's a definite upgrade to what we've had, no question.
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #41
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
I agree with this. Regardless of his rating or offers, he's a definite upgrade to what we've had, no question.
Agreed
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #42
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:

His career high scoring came against Southern Miss with 25 pts and his career high rebounding was 12 against Houston and Wichita State thus he can post big numbers. These numbers seem a bit of a stretch with Vic on the floor.
sheepdogs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:34 AM   #43
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
So what we've had the past 4 years was Brady Manek. Honest question (not trying to be a douche), do you think he's better than Manek?
Old 04-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #44
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
So what we've had the past 4 years was Brady Manek. Honest question (not trying to be a douche), do you think he's better than Manek?
Manek was a starter, Chargois is going to come off the bench. So the comparison is to who has come off the bench for us at the 5. Last year that was probably KK. EC should be a better overall player than KK was.

I like a lot of things about EC. My only real concern at this point is his shooting percentage. 37% from two for a big guy is pretty terrible. But it should be tolerable off the bench.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #45
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Manek was a starter, Chargois is going to come off the bench. So the comparison is to who has come off the bench for us at the 5. Last year that was probably KK. EC should be a better overall player than KK was.

I like a lot of things about EC. My only real concern at this point is his shooting percentage. 37% from two for a big guy is pretty terrible. But it should be tolerable off the bench.
My response was to people saying that he'd start over Hill.

I haven't seen him play since last year, but if he's not a very solid defender then I wouldn't put him over KK. His shooting numbers are bad for a post. People can talk about his assist numbers, but his turnovers are high.

Now if he's a good defender then he's definitely the best backup big OU has had in a while.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:51 AM   #46
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post

I believe the 37% stat is both 2 point and 3 point shots combined, and if that's the case, then he shot 41% from 2 point range during the previous season. During his freshman and sophomore he took a lot more shots and shot 58% and 50% respectively from 2 point range.
sheepdogs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #47
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
For what Moser probably wants his role to be? Absolutely. OU has been soft as a pillow in the interior, and that includes post defense, rebounding, and interior scoring. And much of that is squarely on Manek. While Manek had some very good games here, he was a tremendous liability defensively. He wasn't as good a rebounder as OU needed from a "big". He's skilled offensively(mostly when he's hot from 3) but when he's not I believe he was a net minus, considering the position he was playing.

The comparison really should be the Eastern Washington Big to Manek, and Chargois to either Kur or really Vic. We don't know if Chargois will start next year but if he is a backup there's no question he will an upgrade. He doesn't look like the greatest athlete but he's a big body who can rebound, play defense, and wow!!! He appears to be able to dribble and has somewhat of a feel of how to play(pass to the open guy, flow in the halfcourt). Plus, he can shoot from 3 and was only 5 percentage points behind Manek in that area.

OU relied on Manek too much to score. Most of it was from the outside. OU has needed an inside banger presence, rebounder, a big who can do a big's job. Manek didn't really fill that bill. OU doesn't need Chargois to be Manek. OU needs Chargois to play like a big. And now that OU has him and Tanner, yes, the immediate future at the 5 and the 4 is looking much, much better.

Manek should have never been relied upon to be the main big. Manek was a great kid and i'm glad he was passionate about being a Sooner. He had some good games. He saved our bacon some games(it could be argued he should have never been put in that position). But i'm actually happy that he, Kur, and Vic are gone and we've acquired two true post guys who know how to play inside. So yes, i'll take Chargois and Tanner over Manek, Vic, and Kur all day any day seven days a week and twice on Sundays. Especially in the new system..
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #48
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
For what Moser probably wants his role to be? Absolutely. OU has been soft as a pillow in the interior, and that includes post defense, rebounding, and interior scoring. And much of that is squarely on Manek. While Manek had some very good games here, he was a tremendous liability defensively. He wasn't as good a rebounder as OU needed from a "big". He's skilled offensively(mostly when he's hot from 3) but when he's not I believe he was a net minus, considering the position he was playing.

The comparison really should be the Eastern Washington Big to Manek, and Chargois to either Kur or really Vic. We don't know if Chargois will start next year but if he is a backup there's no question he will an upgrade. He doesn't look like the greatest athlete but he's a big body who can rebound, play defense, and wow!!! He appears to be able to dribble and has somewhat of a feel of how to play(pass to the open guy, flow in the halfcourt). Plus, he can shoot from 3 and was only 5 percentage points behind Manek in that area.

OU relied on Manek too much to score. Most of it was from the outside. OU has needed an inside banger presence, rebounder, a big who can do a big's job. Manek didn't really fill that bill. OU doesn't need Chargois to be Manek. OU needs Chargois to play like a big. And now that OU has him and Tanner, yes, the immediate future at the 5 and the 4 is looking much, much better.

Manek should have never been relied upon to be the main big. Manek was a great kid and i'm glad he was passionate about being a Sooner. He had some good games. He saved our bacon some games(it could be argued he should have never been put in that position). But i'm actually happy that he, Kur, and Vic are gone and we've acquired two true post guys who know how to play inside. So yes, i'll take Chargois and Tanner over Manek, Vic, and Kur all day any day seven days a week and twice on Sundays. Especially in the new system..
Chargois was asked to be the 5 all 4 years at SMU. By stats, and Manek was on a better team so really his stats would be higher if he was at SMU, Manek is a better rebounder, 3pt shooter, finisher, and blocked more shots. I wasn't a big Manek fan, but I also don't think Chargois is going to provide OU with anything more than what Dante Buford did. You say he knows how to play inside, but his shooting % proves that otherwise. I really hope he's a good defender because if he's not I just don't think he's that big an upgrade over KK or if Vic had his head on straight.

As far as Chargois & Tanner over Manek & Vic? Duh, Tanner moves the needle big time.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:15 PM   #49
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Chargois was asked to be the 5 all 4 years at SMU. By stats, and Manek was on a better team so really his stats would be higher if he was at SMU, Manek is a better rebounder, 3pt shooter, finisher, and blocked more shots. I wasn't a big Manek fan, but I also don't think Chargois is going to provide OU with anything more than what Dante Buford did. You say he knows how to play inside, but his shooting % proves that otherwise. I really hope he's a good defender because if he's not I just don't think he's that big an upgrade over KK or if Vic had his head on straight.

As far as Chargois & Tanner over Manek & Vic? Duh, Tanner moves the needle big time.
these are my thoughts also ... .

but i will say Chargois on a better team should be able to buy in to a roll that will allow him to perform better ...
Old 04-23-2021, 12:18 PM   #50
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
these are my thoughts also ... .

but i will say Chargois on a better team should be able to buy in to a roll that will allow him to perform better ...
That may be very true. Some people play better on worse teams, some on better. Chargois best year was his team's worst year, that's why I'm a little hesitant saying he's a starter. 3rd big (12-18mpg)? Absolutely.