ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 07-19-2021, 09:41 PM   #51
pnkranger
All-American

Default Re: OSU is loaded....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
We shouldn't talk or know about OU's opponents? I disagree. Any basketball talk is better than no basketball talk. Dissecting an opponent gives insight into the season approaching. Some of us want to know the ins/outs of teams on OU's schedule.
My criticism was that the board is so willing (and knowledgeable) to discuss OSU's players in detail. What they expect. How they view them playing together as a unit. Who will start. What roles they'll play.

Every time we try to discuss similar things about OU, we get push-back "don't get too excited, we don't know how these guys will play," etc. Our board is full of Moncrieffe experts, but who has watched game tape of Jordan Goldwire or seen more than the Kansas game tape of the Groves brothers. Anyone watched Alston Mason's Mokan Elite highlights? Or seen him in person?
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:51 PM   #52
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
My criticism was that the board is so willing (and knowledgeable) to discuss OSU's players in detail. What they expect. How they view them playing together as a unit. Who will start. What roles they'll play.

Every time we try to discuss similar things about OU, we get push-back "don't get too excited, we don't know how these guys will play," etc. Our board is full of Moncrieffe experts, but who has watched game tape of Jordan Goldwire or seen more than the Kansas game tape of the Groves brothers. Anyone watched Alston Mason's Mokan Elite highlights? Or seen him in person?
Have you asked those questions on one of the many threads about OU players? Because I can say yes to all 3 of those questions & have gushed over Goldwire.
BCSooners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:34 PM   #53
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
No offense guys, but...
LOL. Just a way to alert one that I am going to offend you.

And as someone that has been on this board from about the beginning, didn’t know there were rules limiting the appropriate responses to a thread.

The point in my response is there has been a lot of hype and building up of OSU and Texass. Almost to the point of overkill and forgetting that the most of the rest of the league also upgraded their rosters, including us. Including KU. If those orange teams were the only ones making upgrades through the portal and incoming players, then, yeah, maybe the buildup would be warranted. But why no talk about KU in the same way? They are ranked in the top 4. Baylor in the top 7-8.

Nothing wrong about talking about what’s happening in hoops, particularly within our own conference. It just feels like a lot of adoration for those two teams on this board.
MJSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:50 PM   #54
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSooner View Post
LOL. Just a way to alert one that I am going to offend you.

And as someone that has been on this board from about the beginning, didn’t know there were rules limiting the appropriate responses to a thread.

The point in my response is there has been a lot of hype and building up of OSU and Texass. Almost to the point of overkill and forgetting that the most of the rest of the league also upgraded their rosters, including us. Including KU. If those orange teams were the only ones making upgrades through the portal and incoming players, then, yeah, maybe the buildup would be warranted. But why no talk about KU in the same way? They are ranked in the top 4. Baylor in the top 7-8.

Nothing wrong about talking about what’s happening in hoops, particularly within our own conference. It just feels like a lot of adoration for those two teams on this board.
If there was more "adoration" of KU do you think it would be received differently than OSU talk? We know that's likely not to be the case for there would be an offering of disdain. Secondly, OSU is a local rival/competitor and the rivalry which exists between OU and OSU is a different breed than the one which exists between us and KU.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:36 PM   #55
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
If there was more "adoration" of KU do you think it would be received differently than OSU talk? We know that's likely not to be the case for there would be an offering of disdain. Secondly, OSU is a local rival/competitor and the rivalry which exists between OU and OSU is a different breed than the one which exists between us and KU.
I think for a lot of us, with respect to this particular OP, is that he always hypes up teams that clearly aren’t “loaded.” KU, Baylor, and Texas (at least this season) all have legitimately elite talent and are projected to be among the five or ten best teams in the country. OSU is clearly not in that weight class. But just like he has done in the past with teams like TCU and ISU, the OP is making the Pokes out to be world beaters. He is certainly entitled to post whatever he wants, but if you constantly hype up other teams beyond any reasonable level, then it is only natural to expect some push back.

I’m perfectly fine with people discussing other teams, especially conference teams. But if you are going to be over the top in your praise of a team that hasn’t really accomplished much and is projected to be middle of the pack this season in the conference, then you have to take whatever heat comes your way.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:50 AM   #56
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
I’m perfectly fine with people discussing other teams - WichitaSooner
That is so nice of you. Thank you for being fine with what some people talk about.

Quote:
Nothing wrong about talking about what’s happening in hoops- MJSooner
Great!

Quote:
Every time we try to discuss similar things about OU, we get push-back "don't get too excited, we don't know how these guys will play," etc.-pnkranger
Every time?

Quote:
We shouldn't talk or know about OU's opponents? I disagree. Any basketball talk is better than no basketball talk. Dissecting an opponent gives insight into the season approaching. Some of us want to know the ins/outs of teams on OU's schedule.-NAIA
One would think......
Old 07-20-2021, 08:07 AM   #57
steverocks35
Final Four

It makes me laugh how upset some people get and rush in here to DEFEND THE HONOR OF THE TEAM AT ALL COSTS! You don't get an award for gallantry. It's just basketball. Who cares if someone wants to talk about the prospects of a different team in the league? ABD never put our team down, relax.
steverocks35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #58
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
It makes me laugh how upset some people get and rush in here to DEFEND THE HONOR OF THE TEAM AT ALL COSTS! You don't get an award for gallantry. It's just basketball. Who cares if someone wants to talk about the prospects of a different team in the league? ABD never put our team down, relax.
Actually, he did. Not overtly, but his "info" was definitely spin. It always is. He didn't have to mention OU in that post at all, but if he was going to, he should have given an evenhanded account of both teams. He definitely did not, as I pointed out in my comments above.

I don't have any problem with posts about other teams. Had he not mentioned OU in his post, I wouldn't even have responded. But "info" that is cherry-plcked and slanted? That's abd's standard MO, and I'll push back on it every time.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #59
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Actually, he did. Not overtly, but his "info" was definitely spin. It always is. He didn't have to mention OU in that post at all, but if he was going to, he should have given an evenhanded account of both teams. He definitely did not, as I pointed out in my comments above.

I don't have any problem with posts about other teams. Had he not mentioned OU in his post, I wouldn't even have responded. But "info" that is cherry-plcked and slanted? That's abd's standard MO, and I'll push back on it every time.
Push back why? Are you afraid someone will be sad that the team isn't going to be as amazing as you think they will be?

It's okay to just let the season play out and see what happens instead of jumping in to defend their honor.
steverocks35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #60
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
Push back why? Are you afraid someone will be sad that the team isn't going to be as amazing as you think they will be?

It's okay to just let the season play out and see what happens instead of jumping in to defend their honor.
I always let the season play out. I never make preseason predictions. And I wouldn't bet a large order of fries on the Sooners' prospects this season for the sole reason that I don't have any idea what their ceiling is or their floor. I'm looking forward to finding out.

So I'm not offended that anyone might think any given team is better than OU. I, too, can name Big 12 teams that I think will likely be better than OU. I object when they play fast and loose with the facts by cherrypicking them and skewing them, as I detailed above, and abd is the primary source of that kind of nonsense on this board.