ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #1
WichitaSooner
All-American
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,681
Default Obanor in portal

That dude balled out in the tournament for ORU.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:57 AM   #2
NAIA All-Star
All-American
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 2,697
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Odd timing with the uncertainty surrounding Abmas. Will he return to ORU? Their fans think he will. Maybe Obanor knows Abmas is set to leave and jumping ship as well?

Either way, as good as Obanor is, I don't see a match with OU having Chargois and Groves. Not only that, but you'd have to tell Issanza to leave and most think he's staying at this point.

Goldwire
Harkless
Hill
Chargois
Groves

I could see Obanor land in Texas somewhere (Houston kid). Arkansas makes sense as well. Can't wait to see where he lands. A lot of teams are full.

Last edited by NAIA All-Star; 07-02-2021 at 09:01 AM.
NAIA All-Star is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
Odd timing with the uncertainty surrounding Abmas. Will he return to ORU? Their fans think he will. Maybe Obanor knows Abmas is set to leave and jumping ship as well?

Either way, as good as Obanor is, I don't see a match with OU having Chargois and Groves. Not only that, but you'd have to tell Issanza to leave and most think he's staying at this point.

Goldwire
Harkless
Hill
Chargois
Groves

I could see Obanor land in Texas somewhere (Houston kid). Arkansas makes sense as well. Can't wait to see where he lands. A lot of teams are full.
He'd be a great 4 for OU, but like you said, we have T. Groves and Mawein, so I'm not sure he makes much sense. But the kid is a player.

I'd like to see him at Houston. I think he'd do very well for them, and I think they probably have a "need" for a guy like that. Hopefully both he and Abmas stay put. To me, those guys being at a school like ORU is what makes college bball fun.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
NAIA All-Star
All-American
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 2,697
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
He'd be a great 4 for OU, but like you said, we have T. Groves and Mawein, so I'm not sure he makes much sense. But the kid is a player.

I'd like to see him at Houston. I think he'd do very well for them, and I think they probably have a "need" for a guy like that. Hopefully both he and Abmas stay put. To me, those guys being at a school like ORU is what makes college bball fun.
Oh for sure, if OU could land Obanor, he'd be a starter day 1. Incredibly gifted stretch 4.

I'd prefer to see him stay at ORU with Abmas as well. Interesting stuff.
NAIA All-Star is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:34 AM   #5
NAIA All-Star
All-American
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 2,697
Default Re: Obanor in portal

According to Bob P, Obanor is now being followed by KT Turner and Matt Gordon.
NAIA All-Star is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,288
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
According to Bob P, Obanor is now being followed by KT Turner and Matt Gordon.
Great news, if I remember right he was also a solid defender in the tournament.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:45 AM   #7
WichitaSooner
All-American
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,681
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
According to Bob P, Obanor is now being followed by KT Turner and Matt Gordon.
He would be an absolute no-brainer if he is interested in coming. The coaches can sort out playing time and positions later.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #8
sheepdogs1
Final Four
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,708
Default Re: Obanor in portal

He's from Houston so we have to override the "Sampson effect" to a degree.
sheepdogs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,288
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
He would be an absolute no-brainer if he is interested in coming. The coaches can sort out playing time and positions later.
With the recent arrest I’d say Johnson isn’t off to a good start with playing time.

Say we get Obanor:

Goldwire/Harkless/Gibson
Harkless/Gibson/Noland
J Groves/Harkless/Hill
Obanor/Hill/Chargois
T Groves/Chargois

Minutes:
T Groves - 30
Goldwire- 30
Harkless- 30
Obanor- 30
Gibson - 23
J Groves - 21
Hill - 17
Chargois - 17
Noland - 2, will 8-10 in non-con, foul trouble, and/or injury.

Last edited by BCSooners; 07-02-2021 at 11:58 AM.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #10
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,288
Default Re: Obanor in portal

I wonder if Baylor is in play as well?
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #11
CoachTalk
National Champion
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,603
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Max is staying nba is the talk.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #12
cvangild
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 806
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
With the recent arrest Iíd say Johnson isnít off to a good start with playing time.

Say we get Obanor:

Goldwire/Harkless/Gibson
Harkless/Gibson/Noland
J Groves/Harkless/Hill
Obanor/Hill/Chargois
T Groves/Chargois

Minutes:
T Groves - 30
Goldwire- 30
Harkless- 30
Obanor- 30
Gibson - 23
J Groves - 21
Hill - 17
Chargois - 17
Noland - 2, will 8-10 in non-con, foul trouble, and/or injury.

When is the last time OU has had FOUR players average 30 mpg??? I wouls say that the ONLY possibility of that would have been the '88 team...and I bet it may have not even happened then! NO WAY that happens.
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #13
cvangild
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 806
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
When is the last time OU has had FOUR players average 30 mpg??? I wouls say that the ONLY possibility of that would have been the '88 team...and I bet it may have not even happened then! NO WAY that happens.

I just checked, ALL FIVE of the '88 starters averaged over 30 mpg!! Not something that's really ideal....
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #14
NAIA All-Star
All-American
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 2,697
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Max is staying nba is the talk.
Tough spot for the kid. Not much left to prove at ORU, but undersized for the NBA. Hasn't impressed during the camps.
NAIA All-Star is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:33 PM   #15
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,288
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
When is the last time OU has had FOUR players average 30 mpg??? I wouls say that the ONLY possibility of that would have been the '88 team...and I bet it may have not even happened then! NO WAY that happens.
4 of the last 5 PM teams has had 4 guys 29+ in conference games. Might change at OU, especially this year with more talent top to bottom. I think those 4 (Obanor would have to come) would all be right there.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #16
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,358
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
When is the last time OU has had FOUR players average 30 mpg??? I wouls say that the ONLY possibility of that would have been the '88 team...and I bet it may have not even happened then! NO WAY that happens.
This is spot on
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:39 PM   #17
NAIA All-Star
All-American
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 2,697
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Another interesting portal addition...

NAIA All-Star is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:50 PM   #18
NAIA All-Star
All-American
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 2,697
Default Re: Obanor in portal

NAIA All-Star is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #19
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,288
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
This is spot on
OU did it 2 years ago. Again Iím talking about when conference starts.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:41 PM   #20
lexusooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 305
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
With the recent arrest I’d say Johnson isn’t off to a good start with playing time.

I was unaware of this situation....
lexusooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:19 PM   #21
MJSooner
Role Player
 
MJSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 720
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusooner View Post
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
With the recent arrest I’d say Johnson isn’t off to a good start with playing time.

I was unaware of this situation....
It was a rumor from TOS that was based on a friend of a friend that said Johnson had been booked and arrested on DUI & possession charges. As far as I know, it was never confirmed and no one could verify it on the Cleveland County site. Even if true, there were no details of the incident to define if it was actual PC and driving or nothing at all.

Wherever this is smoke there is usually fire, but this has appeared to fizzle out into nothing much at all. As of this moment.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:53 PM   #22
lexusooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 305
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSooner View Post
It was a rumor from TOS that was based on a friend of a friend that said Johnson had been booked and arrested on DUI & possession charges. As far as I know, it was never confirmed and no one could verify it on the Cleveland County site. Even if true, there were no details of the incident to define if it was actual PC and driving or nothing at all.

Wherever this is smoke there is usually fire, but this has appeared to fizzle out into nothing much at all. As of this moment.
No wonder I haven’t heard it, I don’t even know what TOS is lol ��
Do we have a shot with Obanor?

Last edited by lexusooner; 07-02-2021 at 05:57 PM.
lexusooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:24 PM   #23
MJSooner
Role Player
 
MJSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 720
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusooner View Post
No wonder I havenít heard it, I donít even know what TOS is lol ��
Do we have a shot with Obanor?
TOS- the other site, referencing either Soonerscoop or OUInsider

Our shot with Obanor really begins with if Big Rick stays or not. If KT and Gordon has already started dripping on him, maybe thatís a sign Issanza is going to leave for sure.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:06 PM   #24
cvangild
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 806
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSooner View Post
TOS- the other site, referencing either Soonerscoop or OUInsider

Our shot with Obanor really begins with if Big Rick stays or not. If KT and Gordon has already started dripping on him, maybe thatís a sign Issanza is going to leave for sure.

Actually, once a player chooses to enter the portal, the ďcurrentĒ school does NOT have to guarantee his spot at that point. In this case, Rick may very well be leaning on staying at OUÖbut if OU could land Obanor, then Rick would be SOL.

I doubt we get Obanor, but this is the risk these kids (1500+ of them) take when entering the portal like itís some frickin dating app.
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:40 AM   #25
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,358
Default Re: Obanor in portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSooner View Post
TOS- the other site, referencing either Soonerscoop or OUInsider

Our shot with Obanor really begins with if Big Rick stays or not. If KT and Gordon has already started dripping on him, maybe thatís a sign Issanza is going to leave for sure.
Big Rick entered the portal. It is no longer his choice to stay.


Once you enter the portal your scholarship is no longer guaranteed


I have been told that OU would tell him to move on if the right transfer came available

And Obanor fits that bill
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com