ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 06-22-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
allday92
Walk-on

Default Austin Reaves - NBA Combine

Sharing some clips of Reaves from the draft combine today. Looks like he performed really well.

allday92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:21 PM   #2
OUReality
Starter

Default Re: Austin Reaves - NBA Combine

Hope Austin can make a NBA roster. It seems to me that he could contribute on the right team.
OUReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:18 PM   #3
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Great to hear!
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:18 PM   #4
TINY
All-Conference

Saw he measured just under 6-6, too. This kid will be in the league for multiple years IMO.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:25 PM   #5
cvangild
Role Player

I’ve said it more than once over the last two years…Reaves is an NBA talent. The inconsistency of his outside shot at OU was the only question in my mind…but you don’t shoot 45%+ from there like he did at WSU w/o being a good shooter.

He’s a solid backup PG in the league…who could even start at some point in his career. I wish him nothing but the best! Making an NBA roster is all about fit…and being a little fortunate. I hope he gets picked up/drafted by the right team.
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #6
pnkranger
All-American

I could see him being a Jamal Crawford type. Plays 15 years in the NBA. Plays for half a dozen teams. Averages 12 ppg and 3-4 assists for his career. Makes some insane plays ... turns it over a ton.

No question he'll be in the NBA. Probably for a long time. Ceiling is not super high, but his floor is pretty solid. Super smart player.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:12 PM   #7
Sooner04
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
I could see him being a Jamal Crawford type.
(faints)
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:25 AM   #8
tmeyer3307
Role Player

So many OU fans argued all season about how he won't make it.. Dude is big, can create for others and defend pretty well. He will be a nice role player for many years.
tmeyer3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:57 AM   #9
NickZepp
National Champion

Hope he makes it. Oklahoma needs more representation in the NBA. Having a player in the East Finals that is playing overall as good as anyone left outside of maybe Devin Booker should help recruiting. We really went through almost a decade with only really 1 player contributing from Oklahoma at all in the NBA and that was mostly a role bench player with Eduardo Najera.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #10
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer3307 View Post
So many OU fans argued all season about how he won't make it.. Dude is big, can create for others and defend pretty well. He will be a nice role player for many years.
Agree (in spite of all the gurus on this board saying otherwise).
Old 06-23-2021, 09:51 AM   #11
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
Agree (in spite of all the gurus on this board saying otherwise).
Time will be the telling factor. Things should be allowed to play out.
sheepdogs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:51 AM   #12
BoulderSooner
Administrator

espn projects him as the 41st pick
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #13
WichitaSooner
All-American

I’m sure if/when he is drafted and/or makes a roster, the people who repeatedly claimed that he would never play in the NBA and scoffed at the very notion of him being an NBA player will shift their focus to predicting that he will never be more than a fringe roster player.

He was on almost every credible draft board by the end of the season, and it sounds like he has continued to improve his position since. Keep it up, AR!!!
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:29 AM   #14
All-American

A few said they were going to compare Reaves and McGusty. OU got the better end of the deal on the court in college and the NBA agrees on the players going forward as Reaves is at the combine and McGusty wasn't invited.
152219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #15
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
I’ve said it more than once over the last two years…Reaves is an NBA talent. The inconsistency of his outside shot at OU was the only question in my mind…but you don’t shoot 45%+ from there like he did at WSU w/o being a good shooter.

He’s a solid backup PG in the league…who could even start at some point in his career. I wish him nothing but the best! Making an NBA roster is all about fit…and being a little fortunate. I hope he gets picked up/drafted by the right team.
When projecting shooting, NBA scouts typically zero in on FT shooting at the college level. Reaves' shot close to 85% from the FT line for his college career. He should be fine in the shooting department.
152219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:54 AM   #16
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post

Two factors on why his shooting percentage suffered once he arrived at OU, and one didn't help the other:
- They moved the 3 PT line back to international distance.
- AR didn't shoot in rhythm as much at OU.

At WSU, he was more of a spot-up shooter, at a shorter distance. At OU, he shot more on the move and didn't have his shoulders square and feet set as much. Part of it was due to having to create his own shot more, part of it was our offense. Some, lack of surrounding talent. He didn't always have the best shot selection, forced shots at times, and often had to throw something up at the end of the clock with a defender in his grill. All of these factors, combined with the distance, IMO, impacted his percentage. Like it was said, he could still shoot FTs extremely well so he still had the shot when he could get set and slow down his motion. You can see his mechanics are still very good- he didn't forget how to shoot- he just needs to find better shots.

These camps and workouts will be a huge deal in determining if he gets picked and can make a roster. If he shows a shot, consistently, can show his ball handling skills, and show some good lateral skill times, he has a good chance. AR will not have the measurables and no one will look at him and say, "Wow, look at that guy, what an athlete". But AR has grit and is a baller. I think he will pass the tests on ball handling and shooting, so his biggest challenge will be what position he plays and guards. He has to convince scouts he can fit.

I compare him a lot to Shake Milton. Shake was a good shooter but not exceptional out of SMU. Not overly athletic. Good but not crafty at ball handling. But also at 6'5" and around the same weight, he showed he was good enough and made a roster. His first year he bounced up and down, even back and forth to the G League, but toward the end of his rookie year, he started getting a few minutes. Now, he is the 6th-8th man, sometimes starter.

I could see Austin forging the same path if the right team gives him a spot.

Last edited by MJSooner; 06-23-2021 at 10:58 AM.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #17
cowboysooner
Starter

Very good analysis by MJ. We can all hope. I think he will make a squad. Of course, I was sure Cousins would as well, so what do I know.

In any event, I loved AR as a player at OU and appreciate all he did.
cowboysooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #18
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
(faints)
Not sure what you disagree with because you would rather contribute to this conversation without providing any real input. I said “type” very clearly.

Big, crafty guard who can score in a variety of ways and uses his offensive abilities to stick in the league — that journeyman who plays for half a dozen teams and contributed along the way. Did not say he was going to be A-Crossover.

Is Steve Blake a more palatable name?
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:04 PM   #19
WichitaSooner
All-American

Another mock has him as the first pick of the second round. The Athletic is projecting middle of second round.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:27 PM   #20
BCSooners
Sweet 16

I like the Milton comparison, E’Twaun Moore came to my mind.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:32 PM   #21
Eielson
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
Not sure what you disagree with because you would rather contribute to this conversation without providing any real input. I said “type” very clearly.

Big, crafty guard who can score in a variety of ways and uses his offensive abilities to stick in the league — that journeyman who plays for half a dozen teams and contributed along the way. Did not say he was going to be A-Crossover.

Is Steve Blake a more palatable name?
Yes, I like the White Mamba comparison better. I do not see him as a legendary streetballer with one of the best crossovers of all-time.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:34 PM   #22
WaymanFan
Administrator

That would be great if he makes it! The 2nd round is hit-or-miss. We had a couple of hits over the past 30 years with Brent Price and Eduardo Najera. I really thought a few others would make it on a roster such as Romero Osby and Nate Erdmann.

For those who remember Nate Erdmann at OU (who played a similar role in college), what does Reaves have that he didn't? Austin might handle the ball a little better, but I'm not sure what other advantages he would have. I didn't play in high school or college, so I know a lot of you can more easily pick out their differences.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:55 PM   #23
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
That would be great if he makes it! The 2nd round is hit-or-miss. We had a couple of hits over the past 30 years with Brent Price and Eduardo Najera. I really thought a few others would make it on a roster such as Romero Osby and Nate Erdmann.

For those who remember Nate Erdmann at OU (who played a similar role in college), what does Reaves have that he didn't? Austin might handle the ball a little better, but I'm not sure what other advantages he would have. I didn't play in high school or college, so I know a lot of you can more easily pick out their differences.
If you are drafted in the second round, particularly mid to late as AR is projected at best, it is all dependent on the team that drafts you and their roster. No guaranteed contracts so it truly is hit or miss.

As far as the comparisons, the first obvious one is Erdmann was a LOT more athletic. Much quicker and had incredible hops for a 6'5" guard. As far as the differences in the game, it might not be apples to oranges comparison just based on the style of the coaches they played under. AR would have never seen the floor with his shot selection if he played under Kelvin, and Erdmann had to be, and was, a better defender and rebounder as a result of playing under Kelvin. Because of the better shot selection, and shorter distance, it is probably why Erdmann was a better 3PT shooter than Austin. Worse at the line, so it wasn't just ability or mechanics. Austin is a better ball handler, better at the line, and has better vision, but Erdmann more physical, more disciplined, and better on both ends of the floor and rebounding. But again, in the systems they played under, the offense under LK is almost entirely perimeter-based or originated than Kelvin's.

Because AR played in a system more perimeter-based and guard-oriented, as the NBA has become, he has a better chance than Erdmann did at making a roster. The biggest difference is athleticism but not a bad comparison
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:21 PM   #24
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSooner View Post
If you are drafted in the second round, particularly mid to late as AR is projected at best, it is all dependent on the team that drafts you and their roster. No guaranteed contracts so it truly is hit or miss.

As far as the comparisons, the first obvious one is Erdmann was a LOT more athletic. Much quicker and had incredible hops for a 6'5" guard. As far as the differences in the game, it might not be apples to oranges comparison just based on the style of the coaches they played under. AR would have never seen the floor with his shot selection if he played under Kelvin, and Erdmann had to be, and was, a better defender and rebounder as a result of playing under Kelvin. Because of the better shot selection, and shorter distance, it is probably why Erdmann was a better 3PT shooter than Austin. Worse at the line, so it wasn't just ability or mechanics. Austin is a better ball handler, better at the line, and has better vision, but Erdmann more physical, more disciplined, and better on both ends of the floor and rebounding. But again, in the systems they played under, the offense under LK is almost entirely perimeter-based or originated than Kelvin's.

Because AR played in a system more perimeter-based and guard-oriented, as the NBA has become, he has a better chance than Erdmann did at making a roster. The biggest difference is athleticism but not a bad comparison
What makes you conclude Nate was a better rebounder? Reaves led the team in rebounding as a point guard this season. Also, it isn’t accurate to say he is projected as mid to late second “at best.” He is in the top half of multiple mocks, as high as the first pick of round two. His athleticism is also better than some suggest. As to the discipline and shot selection, that, as you suggest, is a product of the system. Reaves played very much within the defined role that he had at WSU. So I don’t think any NBA team would assume he is undisciplined.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:02 PM   #25
WaymanFan
Administrator

Thanks for the reply and detailed comparison, MJ. I knew it was not apples-apples, but it was the best comparison to Reaves I could think of.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote