ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 06-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
Stikboy
All-Conference

Default Rick Transferring?

Per Verbal Commits..
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
CoachTalk
National Champion

Default Re: Rick Transferring?

Yes. In portal
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
WaymanFan
Administrator

Best of luck to the young man, but the more important question is, “Is there anyone left in the portal worth pursuing?” I like the roster as is, but would rather have a one-year player than an open ‘ship.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #4
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Best of luck to the young man, but the more important question is, “Is there anyone left in the portal worth pursuing?” I like the roster as is, but would rather have a one-year player than an open ‘ship.
Agreed. This isn't like it used to be if you use a 'ship it is tied up for 2-4 years.

My guess is with the contacts and reach this staff has, they can find someone in the portal for 1-2 years that can contribute as much if not more than Rick would have.

Best of luck to Rick but I am sure after the roster was completed, he could see his PT would not be what he thought back in April. And from Moser's comments in one of the interviews about existing players, I am sure he was upfront with Rick about his prospects here.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:14 PM   #5
Eielson
All-American

I feel like this signals an end of an era.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:23 PM   #6
Sooner04
All-Conference

Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #7
sooner_15
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Yes. In portal
Coach, would OU look at the top two guys? We know Samuel at TCU is a good player.

https://247sports.com/college/basket...us=uncommitted
sooner_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #8
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner_15 View Post
Coach, would OU look at the top two guys? We know Samuel at TCU is a good player.

https://247sports.com/college/basket...us=uncommitted
The only center I see OU getting is a younger guy who’s willing to get better and be a role player with Groves on the roster. So I bet the next one they get comes from high school or next years portal.

My guess is they get a younger guy in the portal or save the ship.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:26 AM   #9
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
The only center I see OU getting is a younger guy who’s willing to get better and be a role player with Groves on the roster. So I bet the next one they get comes from high school or next years portal.

My guess is they get a younger guy in the portal or save the ship.
I’d be curious as to your logic as far as saving the scholarship. I don’t think there is any reason to do that in the transfer portal era. There will be so much roster turnover from year to year that planning too far ahead is a risky proposition.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:38 AM   #10
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I feel like this signals an end of an era.
And, the beginning of a new era, hopefully one that will not use scholarships on bigs who rarely see the floor except during practice sessions.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:03 AM   #11
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I’d be curious as to your logic as far as saving the scholarship. I don’t think there is any reason to do that in the transfer portal era. There will be so much roster turnover from year to year that planning too far ahead is a risky proposition.
Unless you get an elite guy I just don’t see very much room for playing time this year. If you can find a guy you like who’s willing to wait a year great, but most kids aren’t going into the portal looking for that.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #12
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Unless you get an elite guy I just don’t see very much room for playing time this year. If you can find a guy you like who’s willing to wait a year great, but most kids aren’t going into the portal looking for that.
Fair point. I can definitely see why a veteran player might be hesitate to come unless they think they will play a lot, but if you find one willing to play whatever role he is asked, then it would make sense for us to offer anyone we think can help.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:36 AM   #13
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Fair point. I can definitely see why a veteran player might be hesitate to come unless they think they will play a lot, but if you find one willing to play whatever role he is asked, then it would make sense for us to offer anyone we think can help.
Definitely, I just don’t know if there’s someone out there that is 1)willing to do that 2) fit was Moser wants 3) if that person exists they still have to commit to Oklahoma over others recruiting him
Old 06-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #14
hoopsaustin
Final Four

So many memories flashing through my head of big Rick's plays over the years.. its going to be sooo hard to end my associating of him in an OU jersey out there on the court at the LNC..
Old 06-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #15
skyvue
Final Four

I hope Rick blossoms wherever he ends up and makes us regret his departure. He's quite a physical specimen and if he finds the right coach/program, he might do just fine.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #16
NAIA All-Star
All-American

NAIA All-Star is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:55 PM   #17
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
guess the grass isn't always greener....

I mean ya play for the B12 ...OU which has historically been a top 35 program. Ya get Jumpman gear, all the great food, great place to live (dorms/apt) good education...all for free.

On top the CHALLENGE to make yourself better to possibly make a career out of playing a game..in some form or fashion.

* edit...the other thread said since he put himself in the portal OU does NOT have to honor his scholarship if they so choose. So maybe this isn't a done deal if the staff finds someone better...

Last edited by Soonerinkc; 07-06-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #18
Sooner04
All-Conference

Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:55 PM   #19
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
guess the grass isn't always greener....

I mean ya play for the B12 ...OU which has historically been a top 35 program. Ya get Jumpman gear, all the great food, great place to live (dorms/apt) good education...all for free.

On top the CHALLENGE to make yourself better to possibly make a career out of playing a game..in some form or fashion.

* edit...the other thread said since he put himself in the portal OU does NOT have to honor his scholarship if they so choose. So maybe this isn't a done deal if the staff finds someone better...
It’s a done deal.

Roster is set.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:03 PM   #20
Eielson
All-American

One last middle finger...
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:12 AM   #21
Sooner Season
Walk-on

Maybe I'm naive about this but I have not heard before of a coach allowing a player to keep practicing with the team after entering the portal. That seems like a smart thing to me if the feeling isn't mutual that the player leaves. it gives the player a chance to cool off if it's a rash decision and it also gives the player an easy option to stay/come back if he decides to.

I don't really know if Issanza will ever be a contributor but in general this seems like a good move to me and as I said, one I've not heard of with other coaches. I remember Stacy King's story of going home and telling his parents he was transferring and they said no your not, your going to work your tail off this summer and make it so that they can't help but play you. Different times I know, but the principle is still sound.
Sooner Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:07 AM   #22
pnkranger
All-American

Rick's the 13th guy on the roster. He won't play. 7'0" walk on...BUT Rick seems like a great team guy. If he's a glue guy for your bench and your locker room, gets good grades, and has a good attitude, it's a net positive as your 13th player.

You won't hear him complaining about playing time or having bad body language on the bench like you would if we went out and recruited another guy at the same level as our other 10-12 players.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:17 AM   #23
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Season View Post
Maybe I'm naive about this but I have not heard before of a coach allowing a player to keep practicing with the team after entering the portal. That seems like a smart thing to me if the feeling isn't mutual that the player leaves. it gives the player a chance to cool off if it's a rash decision and it also gives the player an easy option to stay/come back if he decides to.

I don't really know if Issanza will ever be a contributor but in general this seems like a good move to me and as I said, one I've not heard of with other coaches. I remember Stacy King's story of going home and telling his parents he was transferring and they said no your not, your going to work your tail off this summer and make it so that they can't help but play you. Different times I know, but the principle is still sound.
New rule. Still workout while in portal. I’d assume half or more dont want these players to transfer.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #24
cowboysooner
Starter

I have gone to a number of practices and watched Rick (not under Moser). I think he can develop into a decent 5 over time. I am probably in the minority on this I know.

I think his development will greatly improve under Moser. This is not to diss Lon. But, with TG and Chamgois there, he will work against good post players every day (that know how to get position and work around the rim) and this will greatly speed up his development.

For those that haven't seen him live, he is a crazy looking athlete. Tall, muscular, ramrod posture, and looks well conditioned. He worked hard when I saw him and gave good effort for a big.

I don't know how high his ceiling is, but I will be suprised if he isn't a contributor down the road. I see him as way better than a walk on type player.

Time will tell. BTW, are practices open? Anyone know?
cowboysooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #25
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
It’s a done deal.

Roster is set.
? so he's in and still on 'ship?

*I could care less..just trying to understand
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote