ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 06-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #26
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Default Re: Lineups

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer3307 View Post
You are saying Jalen Hill doesn't play at all really then?? I think Hill splits time at the 4 or possibly starts there. If Mawein is not ready at all or close, Hill will play lots of minutes at the 4 spot with Ethan Chargois. If Big Rick isn't ready I believe Chargois plays more backing up Groves and a little at the 4 spot behind Hill and Mawein. All depends on Big Rick or Mawein. My guess is one of those guys will be the odd man out.. From the guard spot I think Groves or Noland will be odd man out or limited minutes if I had to pick.
J groves is now 6'9 i doubt he plays much at any spot other than the 4 ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #27
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
I don't know why some of ya'll are so impressed with Jalen Hill. He's okay but I think we are bringing in better players than him. Unless he seriously improves his shooting and overall consistency he's going to be riding lots of pine.
Lol
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:48 AM   #28
BoulderSooner
Administrator

1 Goldwire/Cortes/Mason
2 Harkless/Gibson/Noland
3 Johnson/Hill/Noland
4 Groves/ Mawein/ Chargois
5 Groves/Chargois/Issanza
Old 06-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #29
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Lol
Thanks for this amazingly detailed response.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #30
Dr Sleep
Walk-on

1 Goldwire
2 Gibson/Johnson
3 Harkless/Hill
4 J. Groves/Chargois
5 T. Groves/Mawein

Moved Gibson ahead of Johnson. Gibson is the better shooter, Johnson has the better size.

Really think both Groves brothers start.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #31
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sleep View Post

Really think both Groves brothers start.
Agree with that piece. I think J. Groves is going to surprise.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #32
cowboysooner
Starter

I kind of like Boulder's lineup for now. When we get a chance to see all the new guys, then I might change my mind. Mawein and Johnson are really intriguing.
cowboysooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #33
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
J groves is now 6'9 i doubt he plays much at any spot other than the 4 ..
J Groves being 6-9 is great news. Where did you see that?
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #34
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
J Groves being 6-9 is great news. Where did you see that?
the Athletic article on them right after they transfered
Old 06-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #35
sdcloud9
Starter

What I love about this roster is the overall collection of talent. I can see the competitiveness in practice every day really bringing this team along quickly.

It's up to Moser to figure out the pieces but I like the talent level.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:26 AM   #36
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcloud9 View Post
What I love about this roster is the overall collection of talent. I can see the competitiveness in practice every day really bringing this team along quickly.

It's up to Moser to figure out the pieces but I like the talent level.

And it's having quality players coming off the bench, which then allows the starters to not have to play an overextended amount of time, which it turn keeps them fresh and more productive when in the game.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:18 PM   #37
vbdad
Starter

I’m betting Johnson comes off the bench. Jalen was a good defender and rebounded well. He needs to finish more and shoot better. Both of which should improve with an off season. He missed a bunch of practice last year with contact tracing.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:03 PM   #38
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Because some around here don't believe you can say anything negative about an OU player until they are already out the door. Same with coaches, really. It's silly.

I agree with you. Hill appears to have limited upside at this point. I'm far more excited about some of our "new" talent. Doesn't mean Hill won't be given a chance, but I don't think he's shown much to this point.
Other than Tanner, I'm not sure we brought in anybody clearly better than Hill. Certainly closer to none than all.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:18 PM   #39
BCSooners
Sweet 16

I like that Hill was our 2nd best defender & best hustler. He’s a good rebounder, screener, & good feel of spacing & movement off the ball. I think Moser’s system fits him well.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:21 PM   #40
WichitaSooner
All-American

I expect Hill to start and/or play starter minutes. Great defender and plays multiple positions. Didnít look to score much his first two years, which makes sense given the fact he had guys like Reaves and Doo and Brady to carry the offense. Itís funny that so many posters who claim to value good basketball players rather than just athletic projects downplay Hill, who does so many subtle things that impact games.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:59 PM   #41
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I expect Hill to start and/or play starter minutes. Great defender and plays multiple positions. Didnít look to score much his first two years, which makes sense given the fact he had guys like Reaves and Doo and Brady to carry the offense. Itís funny that so many posters who claim to value good basketball players rather than just athletic projects downplay Hill, who does so many subtle things that impact games.
I would imagine anyone who has coached basketball on this board values a guy like Hill. He might not start, but he's going to be heavily involved in the rotation. Good passer, good screener, active on the boards, great defender across multiple positions. Can get a basket when he needs to. Doesn't give up possessions with dumb decisions.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:27 AM   #42
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Other than Tanner, I'm not sure we brought in anybody clearly better than Hill. Certainly closer to none than all.
I like Jacob (I put Tanner earlier), Mawein, and Chargois all better than Hill at the 4 spot. We'll see, I'm not sure Chargois is going to play much at the 4, as he is likely the primary backup at the 5.

Last edited by WTSooner; 06-03-2021 at 07:41 AM.
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:38 AM   #43
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

Actually I thought Hill was our best defender. I suspect he will play ahead of Mawein and share time with Chargois. Tanner is a #5 period.

Hill just needs to look more to score. I believe he has some offensive potential based on some key baskets he made in crunch situations.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:43 AM   #44
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
Actually I thought Hill was our best defender. I suspect he will play ahead of Mawein and share time with Chargois. Tanner is a #5 period.

Hill just needs to look more to score. I believe he has some offensive potential based on some key baskets he made in crunch situations.
i don't think hill is going to play much inside at all ..
Old 06-03-2021, 08:28 AM   #45
Stikboy
All-Conference

I don't know. On one hand he had some very impressive, physical rebounding games but he constantly got his stuff tho'ed when he tried to score from inside. He appears to have decent handles but not sure about the quicks. He can defend. Had a 3-3 game beyond the arc against Texas. So, he gives tidbits of talent at different spots. Looking forward to Moser taking him to the next level in whatever spot he chooses..
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:37 AM   #46
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
I don't know. On one hand he had some very impressive, physical rebounding games but he constantly got his stuff tho'ed when he tried to score from inside. He appears to have decent handles but not sure about the quicks. He can defend. Had a 3-3 game beyond the arc against Texas. So, he gives tidbits of talent at different spots. Looking forward to Moser taking him to the next level in whatever spot he chooses..
I think he has potential but he hasn't shown much of it so far. He averaged 4.4 points and 2.9 rebounds per game and only 17 minutes on a team that desperately needed production from the frontcourt. Maybe Moser can get more out of him. Time will tell.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:08 AM   #47
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
I think he has potential but he hasn't shown much of it so far. He averaged 4.4 points and 2.9 rebounds per game and only 17 minutes on a team that desperately needed production from the frontcourt. Maybe Moser can get more out of him. Time will tell.
maybe because he is not a front court player
Old 06-03-2021, 12:18 PM   #48
colston15
Starter

G - Goldwire
G - Gibson
G - Harkless
F - T Groves
F - Chargois

F - Hill
G - Noland
G - Johnson
G - Cortes
F - J Groves
F- Mawein

Deep bench
Izzansa, Mason

The only ones I feel confident about starting for sure are Goldwire, Groves and Harkless. There's a ton of really good D-1 playing time with that trio.

Noland, Johnson, Mawein and Groves are wildcards. They could all start, potentially.

I have no idea how ready to play Mawein might be. If he's up to speed, I could see a lineup of Goldwire, Gibson, Harkless, Mawein and Groves.

Cortes has an angle to play 10-12 minutes per game since there is no other true point guard after Goldwire.

Gibson can't do it, Harkless cannot either. Maybe Noland is a candidate?

Last edited by colston15; 06-03-2021 at 12:25 PM.
colston15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #49
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colston15 View Post
G - Goldwire
G - Gibson
G - Harkless
F - T Groves
F - Chargois

F - Hill
G - Noland
G - Johnson
G - Cortes
F - J Groves
F- Mawein

Deep bench
Izzansa, Mason

The only ones I feel confident about starting for sure are Goldwire, Groves and Harkless. There's a ton of really good D-1 playing time with that trio.

Noland, Johnson, Mawein and Groves are wildcards. They could all start, potentially.

I have no idea how ready to play Mawein might be. If he's up to speed, I could see a lineup of Goldwire, Gibson, Harkless, Mawein and Groves.

Cortes has an angle to play 10-12 minutes per game since there is no other true point guard after Goldwire.

Gibson can't do it, Harkless cannot either. Maybe Noland is a candidate?
we have no idea how good Mason is ... he very much could be in the mix at back up PG
Old 06-03-2021, 12:59 PM   #50
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
maybe because he is not a front court player
How do you define "front court?" In my book anyone who isn't a guard is "front court." I will change my statement though.

He only got 17 minutes a game and averaged 4.4 points and 2.9 rebounds on a team that was desperate for production from its forward positions. There, is that better?