ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 05-22-2021, 08:46 AM   #26
Eielson
All-Conference

Default Re: Alondes Williams to Wake Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
We'll never know, of course, if he would have missed out on him this time around -- we were reportedly leading for him the first time around until KU swooped in (we certainly were closer to signing him than oswho was).

But if you insist upon doing a comparison, Lon lost BT to a blue blood. Porter lost BT to ... oswho.

But we're not talking about Kruger. We're talking about Moser. He's our coach now. Let's look to the future.
You're trashing Moser because he's not Lon. You have not been even remotely subtle.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:49 AM   #27
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
My source is somebody close to the family here in Tulsa.

He wasn't even that high on OSU the first time around, so yes, he did have a relationship with that staff, but it wasn't like they were in his final list of schools. It's why the initial rumor was him going to TU. He wants to be showcased.
That’s exactly what I said when I predicted he would choose OSU. I also said Boynton would play the “Cade Cunningham card.” And, who could blame him? He simply told BT and his handlers what they wanted to hear. Problem is, he left out the part where he tells BT he’s no CC.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #28
Sooner04
All-Conference

I didn't catch the Bat signal being shined too brightly. But, now that I go back, I can see it. I'm guessing they'll be around until Moser goes a whole season without losing double-digit games. Maybe they'll fade away if Porter can get us a Wednesday night off in Kansas City.

And we were out of the running for Thompson weeks ago. We couldn't get him the first time and we made an assistant hire specifically for his recruitment. We shouldn't be surprised.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #29
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
You're trashing Moser because he's not Lon. You have not been even remotely subtle.
Not remotely true. I raised this concern about him back when he was just rumored candidate for the job. I've since expressed enthusiasm about some of the players who have been brought in, but also disappointment about some who left or we missed out on. From the moment he was hired, I've been in hopeful wait-and-see mode (as I was when Tubbs, Sampson, Capel and Kruger were hired). Our roster is all but set for the upcoming season, and I'll be cheering loud and long for Coach Moser and the team. I can't wait for the season to start.

Nowhere have I predicted failure. Nowhere have I said Moser won't be able to recruit, but I have wondered, since his name first came up, if his particular approach to coaching, his system, might impact his ability to recruit 4- and 5-stars. We don't have the answer yet, but it's not an unreasonable or unfair question. It's the kind of question that frequently gets asked when a coach makes a sizable jump in his career -- from D2 to D1, from a mid-major to a P5 team, from assistant to head coach -- and it certainly doesn't qualify as "trashing."
Old 05-22-2021, 05:25 PM   #30
inoref
All-American

I haven't seen anyone trashing Moser..yet. Do i think he will turn OU into a blue blood..(No)
I do believe OU will make the tournament more times than not and maybe make a deep run
every 5-10 years.
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:31 PM   #31
lexusooner
Walk-on

I’m glad Moser didn’t promise Bryce he would be showcased at OU.
I’d like to see either Groves, Harkless, Gibson, or even Chargois shoot open shots than Bryce dribbling too much and forcing shots. I’m into winning games not showcasing the “me” and “I” kids.

Last edited by lexusooner; 05-22-2021 at 09:33 PM.
lexusooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:25 AM   #32
MichSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
I'm not being negative regarding Coach Moser; I'm being pragmatic. I'm waiting to see how things go. I'm pleased with the transfers he's brought in, but I'd rather Harmon had stayed than have a one-year transfer. I wish Manek were still a Sooner, and it's ironic to see some here denigrating Brady, given that Moser so clearly wanted him (and Harmon, for that matter) on the team.

Meanwhile, a five-star Oklahoma native chooses oswho over OU for reasons no one's made clear (that I've seen) but I suspect that he may have been dissuaded by Moser's system. I expressed this concern -- that Moser's system is more suited to a place like Loyola than OU, that it might not appeal to four- and five-star guys -- before he was even hired, but I will gladly let it go once Moser proves it unfounded.
Brady leaving probably says more about Manek than Moser. Would have been nice for him to stay and represent his home state and Flagship university for another year but he left. That's on him not Porter. As for Bryce Thompson, like some other highly touted in state kids, they do not gravitate preferentially towards OU. And, making a Trey Young promise to a highly recruited local kid out of HS averaging 5 points per game at KU would have been unwise. We turned the keys over to Trey for a magical partial season then watched our so called team disintegrate into ashes.
MichSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:48 AM   #33
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
My source is somebody close to the family here in Tulsa.

He wasn't even that high on OSU the first time around, so yes, he did have a relationship with that staff, but it wasn't like they were in his final list of schools. It's why the initial rumor was him going to TU. He wants to be showcased.
“Close” to the family vs Actual family….

Thanks for your opinion.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:53 AM   #34
Sooner04
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichSooner View Post
Brady leaving probably says more about Manek than Moser. Would have been nice for him to stay and represent his home state and Flagship university for another year but he left. That's on him not Porter.
Bingo!
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #35
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichSooner View Post
Brady leaving probably says more about Manek than Moser. Would have been nice for him to stay and represent his home state and Flagship university for another year but he left. That's on him not Porter. As for Bryce Thompson, like some other highly touted in state kids, they do not gravitate preferentially towards OU. And, making a Trey Young promise to a highly recruited local kid out of HS averaging 5 points per game at KU would have been unwise. We turned the keys over to Trey for a magical partial season then watched our so called team disintegrate into ashes.
Manek left because of the unknown of moser and a whole new team was coming in. OU will always be his home.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #36
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
“Close” to the family vs Actual family….

Thanks for your opinion.
LOL.

Implying that you speak to the actual family, and not having a better grasp of how this was going to end up. Laughable.

You don't have to have the "inside news" on everything OU bball related. It's okay that others may beat you to it, or have better info. Doesn't make you less of a man.

I'll stand by my source on this. Bryce doesn't want to be a cog in the machine. And Moser couldn't convince him he'd be anything but that at OU over the next couple of seasons.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:17 AM   #37
MichSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Manek left because of the unknown of moser and a whole new team was coming in. OU will always be his home.
Well, life is uncertain. NC was terrible last year. OU has question marks but arguably Moser has pieced together a pretty solid roster. Leaving for uncertainty will make one a vagabond cause uncertainty is one of the few things u can be certain about.

I will be curious to see how he does. It is uncertain that he will start out there consistently. The mindset of players that will get us over the hump going forward is one of them believing that they are the missing piece to our greatness.
MichSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:22 AM   #38
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
LOL.

Implying that you speak to the actual family, and not having a better grasp of how this was going to end up. Laughable.

You don't have to have the "inside news" on everything OU bball related. It's okay that others may beat you to it, or have better info. Doesn't make you less of a man.

I'll stand by my source on this. Bryce doesn't want to be a cog in the machine. And Moser couldn't convince him he'd be anything but that at OU over the next couple of seasons.
Questioning manhood??? Lol. Not implying.

I suggested Osu many times. Also via dm. Ada North Carolina will back that up.

OU tried to close the gap... but too much to overcome.

Keep doubting. I know it’s personal for you.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:16 AM   #39
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:

All I know is you told me several days before the actual announcement that Bryce was going to OSU. That’s not the first time you have been right well in advance of a recruiting decision, but I was asked to keep what I was told to myself.

If you really cared about getting credit for a scoop, you would post what you know, stick out your chest and crow like a rooster. I respect people more who know and say nothing than someone who claims to know but rarely has anything to say about recruiting unless it’s to criticize a reliable source.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:22 PM   #40
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Quote:
LOL.

Who cares? Its over. Its one dude. Who cares? Moser hit a grand slam on paper and you're whining about 1 other player that Moser had prolly never spoken to prior to being hired? Who cares?
Old 05-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #41
pnkranger
All-American

Moser's system ... sans 5 star players ... has generated more post-season success over the last 4 years than OU or OSU. So I'm not getting worked up over BT. If OSU showcases Bryce Thompson, they are going to be in the bottom half of the Big 12 for the next couple of years. Cade was able to make that work because he's a #1 pick and a likely NBA star. Bryce Thompson is not Cade Cunningham.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #42
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Not remotely true.
How many times are you going to bring up Moser's "system" in a negative manner and pretend you aren't being negative?

As has been said, Lon couldn't land the guy even when specifically hiring an assistant to do so. The fact he chose elsewhere for a second time is not a knock on Moser -- Bryce simply didn't want to be a Sooner.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #43
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
But if you insist upon doing a comparison, Lon lost BT to a blue blood. Porter lost BT to ... oswho.
Remember when Shake went to SMU? We simply aren't going to land all of our in-state talent, and that has been true forever.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:01 PM   #44
inoref
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
Moser's system ... sans 5 star players ... has generated more post-season success over the last 4 years than OU or OSU. So I'm not getting worked up over BT. If OSU showcases Bryce Thompson, they are going to be in the bottom half of the Big 12 for the next couple of years. Cade was able to make that work because he's a #1 pick and a likely NBA star. Bryce Thompson is not Cade Cunningham.
You mean sorta like Lon did with Trae Young ?
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #45
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
Trae is much better than Bryce. But yes, we were in the bottom half of the Big XII.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #46
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
Bryce is not to be compared to Trae young. Trae young had a better freshman year than Cade did. Osu had way better talent around Cade than ou had around trae, too.

Last edited by TINY; 05-23-2021 at 05:55 PM.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:31 PM   #47
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
All I know is you told me several days before the actual announcement that Bryce was going to OSU.
Everybody knew that last 5-7 days he was going to OSU. That wasn't something only Coach "knew". It was on just about every sports board I read where it would have been of interest.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:35 PM   #48
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:

lol, it's not personal at all. I've never even met you.

You do have a lot of good info some times. My problem with you is that too many times, you take information that is opinion, and try to present it as fact. Or you read something on a "not so popular channel of twitter", then try to pass it off here as inside info. THAT is the stuff that makes me not take you seriously. I know you don't care, and you probably shouldn't, but I'm not going to stand by and let you pass something off as fact when I've been told it isn't. Simple as that.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:45 PM   #49
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
lol, it's not personal at all. I've never even met you.

You do have a lot of good info some times. My problem with you is that too many times, you take information that is opinion, and try to present it as fact. Or you read something on a "not so popular channel of twitter", then try to pass it off here as inside info. THAT is the stuff that makes me not take you seriously. I know you don't care, and you probably shouldn't, but I'm not going to stand by and let you pass something off as fact when I've been told it isn't. Simple as that.
Lol. Ok
Old 05-24-2021, 08:36 AM   #50
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:

this is 100% fact ..

coach knows much more then he can share publicly ..

and has great sources ..

he is 100% spot on about Brady ... and that is from my very very good sources when it comes to his family ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote