ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,459
Default Overtime Elite

What do you think about this new prep league, where players will be required to forfeit their college eligibility if they want to participate and receive guaranteed salaries?

How will this new school/league impact colleges in their quest to attract the top recruits? Seems to me colleges and universities and their decades of taking advantage of elite student athletes may be the primary target for Prep Elite. Thoughts?

https://www.ajc.com/sports/unique-ba...DBML76G6G7A5A/
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
schoonerdriver
Role Player
 
schoonerdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 644
Default Re: Overtime Elite

How many jumped to the G League? Neither pay as much as going to Kansas, Kentucky, or Duke I'm guessing. Plus, you lose the opportunity to earn a lottery pick's contract before you are seen as a fraud.
schoonerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #3
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,459
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdriver View Post
How many jumped to the G League? Neither pay as much as going to Kansas, Kentucky, or Duke I'm guessing. Plus, you lose the opportunity to earn a lottery pick's contract before you are seen as a fraud.
True, except Overtime Elite is for 16, 17 and 18 years old kids. It will almost certainly take attendees from the prep schools. Colleges will only be affected by the 30 or so who sign with OE and thereby forfeit their college eligibility.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:27 PM   #4
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,292
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdriver View Post
How many jumped to the G League? Neither pay as much as going to Kansas, Kentucky, or Duke I'm guessing. Plus, you lose the opportunity to earn a lottery pick's contract before you are seen as a fraud.
the g leage high school kids make 6 figures and then make endorsements ..

so more than going to any college ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
mict085
All-Conference
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,145
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
the g leage high school kids make 6 figures and then make endorsements ..

so more than going to any college ..
Some college kids get paid 6 figures to play ball.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #6
MJSooner
Role Player
 
MJSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 692
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
Some college kids get paid 6 figures to play ball.
Zion Williamson has entered the chat.

But seriously, the bottom line is all of these ways to get amateur athletes paid, legally, be it the G League, Overtime Elite, NIL, or whatever, only impact a few athletes. The fear and dread about how each change will destroy college athletics that comes along with the proposed change or rule is more of a story than the impact itself.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #7
okccpa
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 149
Default Re: Overtime Elite

I just don’t think something like this is financially viable in the long term. Just like every new football start up, it sounds like a great idea. You get a lot of buy in and money to get it started, you run it for a couple of years and then in shuts down because everyone is tired of losing money.
okccpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,235
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by okccpa View Post
I just donít think something like this is financially viable in the long term. Just like every new football start up, it sounds like a great idea. You get a lot of buy in and money to get it started, you run it for a couple of years and then in shuts down because everyone is tired of losing money.
Yes I donít see a lot of people tuning into tat league.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:47 PM   #9
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,357
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Yes I donít see a lot of people tuning into tat league.
Swap the "tat" for "tit" and we might have a winner.
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #10
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,235
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
Swap the "tat" for "tit" and we might have a winner.
Haha nice
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:39 PM   #11
TINY
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,393
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by okccpa View Post
I just donít think something like this is financially viable in the long term. Just like every new football start up, it sounds like a great idea. You get a lot of buy in and money to get it started, you run it for a couple of years and then in shuts down because everyone is tired of losing money.
Agreed. Who is going to pay to see those games? No one cares about those players besides their families, agents, and scouts. The reason why college and pro sports are successful is because the fans cheer for the teams, even though the faces change every year. No one goes to g league games or minor league baseball games either.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:41 PM   #12
TINY
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,393
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Having said that, I would rather see this league survive. Iím tired of the bagmen schools having such a ridiculous advantage. Those kids can just head onto the pros now. Downside is the bagmen schools will dip more into the pool Of players that ou typically recruits.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #13
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,459
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Top ranked high school twins, Matt and Ryan Bewley, will sign with Overtime Elite.


https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ue-sources-say
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #14
OUGenius
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 82
Default Re: Overtime Elite

The fame of college trumps the hundred thousand dollars. Anybody halfway decent would be much better served to get famous in college.
OUGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #15
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,292
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGenius View Post
The fame of college trumps the hundred thousand dollars. Anybody halfway decent would be much better served to get famous in college.
i think this is changing and changing quickly ..

2 of the likely top 5 picks in the nba draft this summer will be kids that skipped college for the Gleague .. and this is just starting ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:04 AM   #16
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,143
Default Re: Overtime Elite

This doesn't really bother me. If all of the 'elite' players opted for the NBA or the G league or whatever, I would still like college basketball better than the NBA. There are kids who would give their right you know what to get a college scholarship. Give me a team of those guys any day of the week.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #17
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,459
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
i think this is changing and changing quickly ..

2 of the likely top 5 picks in the nba draft this summer will be kids that skipped college for the Gleague .. and this is just starting ..
I agree with you. Kids who grew up in poverty without so much as a decent bed to sleep in and at least one good meal every day, couldnít care less about a college education and the fame of playing for a major university. The promise of more money than they have ever dreamed of and the guarantee of better days ahead with all of the perks being offered by Overtime Elite and the Gleague will be hard for some of these kids to turn down.

The days of the NCAA and the schools it represents earning tons of money by showcasing student athletes for the price of an education may be coming to an end.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #18
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,235
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
I agree with you. Kids who grew up in poverty without so much as a decent bed to sleep in and at least one good meal every day, couldnít care less about a college education and the fame of playing for a major university. The promise of more money than they have ever dreamed of and the guarantee of better days ahead with all of the perks being offered by Overtime Elite and the Gleague will be hard for some of these kids to turn down.

The days of the NCAA and the schools it represents earning tons of money by showcasing student athletes for the price of an education may be coming to an end.
I get that theyíll get some kids, & donít blame the kids at all. I just donít think Overtime Elite will lose so much $$$ because no one will watch it. Itís good AAU basketball, which is terrible to watch.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #19
sdcloud9
Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,400
Default Re: Overtime Elite

I have no problem with the new league but it won't stop the bagmen.

They just won't be spending on the Top 10 players, it'll be 11-20, etc. The best players available will still have illegal offers from boosters, etc. because they want to win for their school.

It's the same argument that legally paying players will stop cheating, it won't. The playing field will never be level for teams that play by the rules. I'm not saying that's a reason not to pay players a stipend but it won't stop cheating.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #20
inoref
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,821
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
I get that theyíll get some kids, & donít blame the kids at all. I just donít think Overtime Elite will lose so much $$$ because no one will watch it. Itís good AAU basketball, which is terrible to watch.
I agree, AAU is like the NBA its about me basketball...College game is heading that way too...IMO
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #21
WichitaSooner
All-American
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,646
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
I agree, AAU is like the NBA its about me basketball...College game is heading that way too...IMO
You apparently don't watch much (any) NBA.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #22
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,235
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
I agree, AAU is like the NBA its about me basketball...College game is heading that way too...IMO
NBA is the best league on the planet, not close to AAU. College is going to lose luster if the transfer portal keeps going the way it is. Fans support their teams, but if itís 8-9 new players every year then that will definitely hurt.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #23
inoref
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,821
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
You apparently don't watch much (any) NBA.
No I do not, makes me sick..would rather have total knee replacement than to watch a NBA game.
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #24
Max Power
Elite Eight
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,597
Default Re: Overtime Elite

If the one and done rule is ruining college basketball, we should all hope this and the g league are huge successes. Take the Kids that don't want to go to school out of schools.
__________________
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #25
WichitaSooner
All-American
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,646
Default Re: Overtime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
No I do not, makes me sick..would rather have total knee replacement than to watch a NBA game.
Certainly you are entitled to your opinion, but perhaps if you donít watch the NBA, you arenít qualified to evaluate whether it is similar to AAU ball.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com