ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 05-12-2021, 04:52 PM   #26
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Default Re: Akol Mawein Commits to OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
So youíve seen him other than a highlight video?
Are those who rated Freeman do the same thing.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:53 PM   #27
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Matt Freeman was considered a top 50 recruit.
Not officially because he was a foreign player. But I remember recruiting guru, Eric Bossi, saying that after watching Freeman play in an all-star tournament in California. I bought into what Bossi had to say. Unfortunately, Matt didnít live up to his lofty projections.

IMO, he was limited athletically. From what I have seen, Mawein doesnít have that problem. Is that a guarantee heíll be a star someday? Of course not. But I like what I have seen of him so far.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:56 PM   #28
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
Are those who rated Freeman do the same thing.
Freeman was on the New Zealand national team with a UK recruit. Iím pretty sure the national scouting services who rated him saw him in person.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:58 PM   #29
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Not officially because he was a foreign player. But I remember recruiting guru, Eric Bossi, saying that after watching Freeman play in an all-star tournament in California. I bought into what Bossi had to say. Unfortunately, Matt didnít live up to his lofty projections.

IMO, he was limited athletically. From what I have seen, Mawein doesnít have that problem. Is that a guarantee heíll be a star someday? Of course not. But I like what I have seen of him so far.
Yes I had high hopes for him too, as well as Alondes & Manyang. Thatís why Iím pumping the brakes on a foreign/juco player until I see otherwise.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:13 PM   #30
inoref
All-American

Quote:
Yes I had high hopes for him too, as well as Alondes & Manyang. Thatís why Iím pumping the brakes on a foreign/juco player until I see otherwise.
I'd use those brakes on just about any player
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:27 PM   #31
Sooner04
All-Conference

I'm happy he's here. I hope he can play.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:39 PM   #32
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Yes I had high hopes for him too, as well as Alondes & Manyang. That’s why I’m pumping the brakes on a foreign/juco player until I see otherwise.
I didn’t see enough of Manyang at any point to judge him one way or another. The reports said he could knock down threes. I just never saw any evidence he could even make layups. Two years after he arrived he was gone without so much as breaking a sweat.

I, too, had high hopes for Alondes. I saw him play in a game on television. He was reckless with the ball at times, but I was sorry to see him go.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:40 PM   #33
psk2080
Walk-on

Quote:

Freeman just appeared better suited to the international game, playing on the perimeter. He wasn't an inside player, but he didn't have the quickness on the perimeter either.
psk2080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:40 PM   #34
Northbase
Role Player

Great news. Lots of options for our front line! ! ! Takes some pressure off of Groves to carry the team having other "bigs" able to step up
Northbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:47 PM   #35
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
I didnít see enough of Manyang at any point to judge him one way or another. The reports said he could knock down threes. I just never saw any evidence he could even make layups. Two years after he arrived he was gone without so much as breaking a sweat.

I, too, had high hopes for Alondes. I saw him play in a game on television. He was reckless with the ball at times, but I was sorry to see him go.
Manyang was 7í & the #2 juco. He was very talented but always hurt & got kicked off for being an idiot. Most jucos have baggage, thatís why I never put much stock into them with prep school taking the elite ones without the serious baggage.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #36
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

looks decent...I like what I saw but again, it's a highlight and it's on a hs select team. Does look like he can shoot the outside shot which is a plus at 6'10 or 6'8 since that was the listed height on the video.

I'll hold any major enthusiasm until tipoff.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #37
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

Quote:

In my book he doesn't need to be a "star" (I know what you were saying) but at this point a decent post that is a "basketball player" not just an "athlete".

Need to know the game and what to do with your athleticism
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:08 PM   #38
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Manyang was 7í & the #2 juco. He was very talented but always hurt & got kicked off for being an idiot. Most jucos have baggage, thatís why I never put much stock into them with prep school taking the elite ones without the serious baggage.
My bad. I had Manyang confused with Anyang Garang, the 6í 9Ē wing who transferred having never really seeing the floor except at garage time. Now, I know who youíre talking about. Manyang was a huge disappointment!
Old 05-12-2021, 06:38 PM   #39
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
My bad. I had Manyang confused with Anyang Garang, the 6í 9Ē wing who transferred having never really seeing the floor except at garage time. Now, I know who youíre talking about. Manyang was a huge disappointment!
Yeah to me Garang was be a 12/13th man & hope the size & length develop to a hidden gem.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:35 PM   #40
hoopsaustin
Final Four

ABD is full chub rn
Old 05-13-2021, 06:34 AM   #41
BoulderSooner
Administrator

i think there is a reasonable chance that Akol starts for OU at some point next season
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:43 AM   #42
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Great news! Is it true he has 3 years?
yes
Old 05-13-2021, 06:44 AM   #43
Darwin
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
i think there is a reasonable chance that Akol starts for OU at some point next season
At the very least starter like minutes 20+

Really excited with the size and skill added to the roster.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:57 AM   #44
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
Arkansas fans are saying he was going to be the worst player on their roster, so...

pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #45
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
Arkansas fans are saying he was going to be the worst player on their roster, so...

Just like Tulsa fans were relieved that Chargois didn't choose them. Amazing how fans bases work, isn't it?
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:19 AM   #46
OUReality
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post

Not unlike some on here saying Bryce isn't that good either. Some fans just can't accept that players prefer to play for other teams for whatever reason.
OUReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #47
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUReality View Post
Not unlike some on here saying Bryce isn't that good either. Some fans just can't accept that players prefer to play for other teams for whatever reason.
YEP!

It's really weird. Especially with Thompson. I was excited about the possibility of him ending up at OU, but I feel like I understand his goal for transferring, and OU may not be the best fit. That isn't a diss on the OU program.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #48
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

Mawein looks competitive to me. Should be 8 or 9 in rotation. Hill is an important factor. But if he doesn't start looking to score he could be bypassed by Mawein. Roland also a factor in depth.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:27 AM   #49
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
Mawein looks competitive to me. Should be 8 or 9 in rotation. Hill is an important factor. But if he doesn't start looking to score he could be bypassed by Mawein. Roland also a factor in depth.
i think there is a chance that Hill plays the 3 much more than the 4 .. under moser
Old 05-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #50
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
I assume you mean, Noland. Iím really high on him. Heís a scorer deluxe with a readymade college body who will be hard to keep on the bench IMO. I canít wait to see him play!