ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-24-2021, 09:22 PM   #51
sdcloud9
Starter

Default Re: 21-22 line-up/Depth chart so far ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
LK was very high on Noland as an all around player. He should play early as he has a college body already. I've been told Goldwire is limited scoring but fantastic on defense and very good at distributing the ball.
I'm worried about OSU with Thompson. However if he looks at them their whole team is guys that play similar to him. He we have a great need for a scorer and extra ball handler.
I am also worried about OSU with Bryce....an OSU friend of mine swears they were second to KU for Bryce.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:54 PM   #52
CoachTalk
National Champion

Wouldnt be surprised if we get a commit tomorrow. Nothing concrete. Id say jaxon.

I dont see anyway it Bryce and Trey. I think we take Jaxon and then push hard for Bryce in the next week or sooner.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:57 PM   #53
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Wouldnt be surprised if we get a commit tomorrow. Nothing concrete. Id say jaxon.

I dont see anyway it Bryce and Trey. I think we take Jaxon and then push hard for Bryce in the next week or sooner.
Good stuff
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:31 PM   #54
lexusooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
Good stuff
Are we still in on Jaxon?
lexusooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:40 PM   #55
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusooner View Post
Are we still in on Jaxon?
Dont think so.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:00 PM   #56
lexusooner
Walk-on

Any chance we go big as a starting line up
6’9” Groves
6’9” Chargois
6’8” Groves
6’4” Harkless
6’2” Goldwire

I think this lineup gives opponents fits ...
Prolly an 8 man rotation with Gipson, Hill, and Noland, off the bench ...

Maybe Issanza gets a few minutes here and there along with one or both of the other two Freshmen guards ....

Last edited by lexusooner; 05-15-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:04 PM   #57
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Any chance we go big as a starting line up
69 Groves
69 Chargois
68 Groves
64 Harkless
62 Goldwire

I think this lineup gives opponents fits ...
Prolly and 8 man rotation with Gipson, Hill, and Noland, off the bench ...

Maybe Issanza gets a few minutes here and there along with one or both of the other two Freshmen guards ....
I'm not sure we're very good if Chagrois is giving minutes at the 4 and J groves playing big minutes at the 3 at the same time. We would be totally exposed by team with speed, especially those that play 4 guard types.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:11 AM   #58
soonerbms
Role Player

What’s the projected starting lineup with the addition of Mawein?
soonerbms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:33 AM   #59
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbms View Post
I don't think anybody knows. We can guess, but the guys will be given a chance to earn jobs under the new staff. And we might still sign a guard that has a chance to start.

Goldwire and T. Groves are the only two guaranteed starters, IMO.

My guess at this point would be something like this:
PG - Goldwire / Cortes / Mason
SG - Gibson / Noland
OG - Harkless
PF - J. Groves / Hill / Mawein
C - T. Groves / Chargois / Issanza

Could see Hill start at the 4 if he earns it. Could see J. Groves or Hill get minutes at the 3, especially if we don't sign another true guard. Mawein could start at the 4, though I think he'll need a year to adjust/improve. Noland could backup the 2 and 3 spots, and could get minutes at pg.

I hope the staff let's them all compete for spots. New beginning. We certainly have options and versatility. Biggest hole I see right now is another experienced true guard, especially one that can score it well. Maybe Gibson is that guy this year, or Harkless takes another leap. Should be fun to watch.

Edit: I will add, it's tough to not see Harkless starting b/c I think Moser will want to emphasize defense early, and Harkless is probably one of the better defenders. Be interesting to see if Moser still employs some form of the "No Middle" defense that he did at Loyola, and what that looks like for guys like Goldwire and Harkless.

Last edited by WTSooner; 05-14-2021 at 06:47 AM.
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:46 AM   #60
Darwin
Starter

Groves
Chargois
Harkless
Gibson
Goldwire , Defense and seniors for starters.

Oh the competition, it would be great to go see open practices if that's still allowed. The Moser program coming out fast, setting up future recruiting and attracting high level transfers. Thanks Joe C for loading up on the staff, gotta wear shades.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:46 AM   #61
Wyatt
Walk-on

Do Moser's teams switch everything on defense like Lon's did? Sure seemed like we got lost at times and gave up a lot uncontested shots with the switching.
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:02 AM   #62
BoulderSooner
Administrator

https://hoopvision.substack.com/p/lo...ense-hv-weekly

video on Moser's Defense

http://collegehoopswatch.com/2018/03...ve-efficiency/
Old 05-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #63
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

Main thing I saw other than tactics is intensity. He is going to need depth to maintain that level of energy. Also good individual technique and movement of feet. Good denial, get burned occasionally but that is the price you pay.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #64
mict085
All-Conference

I would guess TG, harkless, and goldwire will be starters. The other 2 spots will be ever changing until we find the right guys. I don’t see Gibson as a starter. He’s a guy that should be coming off the bench. Maybe to start the season, but I could see one of Cortes or Noland starting by conference play. The 4 spot could be a combo all season unless this juco mawein is the real deal.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:25 PM   #65
lexusooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
I'm not sure we're very good if Chagrois is giving minutes at the 4 and J groves playing big minutes at the 3 at the same time. We would be totally exposed by team with speed, especially those that play 4 guard types.
I think you may be surprised to see how well Chargois and J Groves run the floor.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #66
lexusooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbms View Post
I don’t see Mawein beating out a Sr like Chargois who is a pretty salty and experienced post player and banger(see attached video). I suspect it’ll take A.M. a season to adjust to D1 from Juco

https://youtu.be/gk_B7wA0mmU
Old 05-18-2021, 12:53 PM   #67
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Quote:
I dont see Mawein beating out a Sr like Chargois who is a pretty salty and experienced post player and banger(see attached video). I suspect itll take A.M. a season to adjust to D1 from Juco

https://youtu.be/gk_B7wA0mmU

How many years of eligibility does Mawein have?? His juco numbers aren't overly impressive, and seeing what we actually got production-wise out of Williams, I will hold my breath on him, but this is who I have starting:

T. Groves
Hill
Goldwire
Harkless
J. Groves or Noland (depending on opponent and who we bring in for that last spot)

Seems we have more talented height available than what I remember in recent years, so developing Noland, Cortes or Mason will be critical. We will need a good perimeter scorer to compliment our big guys. I may be way off, but that's what i'm thinking right now.
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:04 PM   #68
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerguy06 View Post
How many years of eligibility does Mawein have?? His juco numbers aren't overly impressive, and seeing what we actually got production-wise out of Williams, I will hold my breath on him, but this is who I have starting:

T. Groves
Hill
Goldwire
Harkless
J. Groves or Noland (depending on opponent and who we bring in for that last spot)

Seems we have more talented height available than what I remember in recent years, so developing Noland, Cortes or Mason will be critical. We will need a good perimeter scorer to compliment our big guys. I may be way off, but that's what i'm thinking right now.
I'd press the crap out of that team. Outside of Goldwire, VERY limited handles. I just don't think you can start that team. Hill and Harkless both probably need to be 3's, Hill possibly a very small 4.

I'd start Gibson next to Goldwire/Harkless. You can hide his defense next to those two, and he gives you a bona-fide shooter. Some of you are forgetting how good Gibson was at NT.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:34 PM   #69
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
I'd press the crap out of that team. Outside of Goldwire, VERY limited handles. I just don't think you can start that team. Hill and Harkless both probably need to be 3's, Hill possibly a very small 4.

I'd start Gibson next to Goldwire/Harkless. You can hide his defense next to those two, and he gives you a bona-fide shooter. Some of you are forgetting how good Gibson was at NT.
Apparently you are also forgetting that Gibson is a good defender. No need to hide his defense no matter who he is playing next to.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:35 PM   #70
TINY
All-Conference

Gibson will start. He is going to be one of our top scorers IMO. He will have a much easier time getting open looks in this offense.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:33 PM   #71
Darwin
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Gibson will start. He is going to be one of our top scorers IMO. He will have a much easier time getting open looks in this offense.
Totally agree
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:54 PM   #72
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post

The handles next year will be superior to 2020-2021. Sorry but while I think Austin Reaves was a great player, his handles were not on the level of Goldwire. You can't start at PF for Duke and not have good handles. In addition, the offense will be much more structured under Moser. I have little doubt that pressing a Moser coached team will be a futile effort. Best way to break the press is over the top with passes. The Groves boys will be able to handle the ball as well in the passing game. In addition, with more athleticism inside Groves, Chargois, and Mawein, pressing may end up with an OU dunk on the other end.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #73
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Hell get starter minutes, but might come off the bench to balance out scoring. However, I dont believe this team will score as easily as last years so he might start.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #74
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
The handles next year will be superior to 2020-2021. Sorry but while I think Austin Reaves was a great player, his handles were not on the level of Goldwire. You can't start at PF for Duke and not have good handles. In addition, the offense will be much more structured under Moser. I have little doubt that pressing a Moser coached team will be a futile effort. Best way to break the press is over the top with passes. The Groves boys will be able to handle the ball as well in the passing game. In addition, with more athleticism inside Groves, Chargois, and Mawein, pressing may end up with an OU dunk on the other end.
Id say Reaves is the better ball handler of the two.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #75
BoulderSooner
Administrator

next years starting line up ..

Locks IMHO

Goldwire 1
Harkless 2/3

Groves 5

that leaves 2 spots .. i think there are 5 guys for those 2 spots at least early in the season

the other wing spot is between Hill and Gibson (Coach has talked about Hill being a guard multiple times since he has been hired.) *good chance we add another portal wing and Noland will get a shot here as well once he arives ...

the 4 spot has 3 options and all are interesting J Groves Chargois and Mawein

i think Groves is going to win this job .. with Mawein as his back up and Chargois as the back up 5 ..