ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-23-2021, 08:40 AM   #26
IndySooner
Starter

Default Re: Trey Alexander just decommitted from Auburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevahoma View Post
Don't get me wrong, I admire Rayford as well...Follow him on Twitter. He's a really good dude and is pretty objective when talking about Trae/NBA. I get the involvement...by all means be involved with your kid.

It's the next level as a quasi-agent during HS and college a la Harmons/Alexanders/random uncle that seems over the line to me. And I think it even hinders the athlete's ability to grow and think for themselves.
I wouldn't call him objective about Trae. The rest of it, sort of. I remember getting into it a bit with him on Twitter when Westbrook went after the fan. He's definitely not objective about players in that situation.

That said, he seems like a good dude. Definitely run into dads like him with my kids' sports. Understand it from a dad who has a kid going on to manage a career in the sports business. Don't understand it from 99.9% of the dads.
IndySooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:46 AM   #27
IndySooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
My grandsons are in the 5th and 1st grade. They played club soccer for about 3 years before they switched to rec league basketball. One of the reasons they switched was the soccer coach, who was a parent of one of the kids. The coach was obsessed with soccer to the point that 2 years ago he started home-schooling his kids so they could practice more. His ultimate goal for himself is to be able to go to Europe and coach soccer. He sees his kids, who are good players, as a way to get his foot in the door. He was much too intense and negative for kids in that age group.
I have a 5th grader. You are only starting to figure out what you have in an athlete at that age, and you have ZERO idea how and when they're going to grow. I coach baseball, but I'm the baseball coach who plays everyone, moves kids around and generally don't give a flying you know what if we win or lose. It's all about getting better and having fun at this age. But you know what, we tend to win a lot because of it.

There are coaches in the leagues/area that aren't that way. We won a tourney a couple months ago against a team. They were a full time, year round travel program. We are a part time, second or third pick of the kids travel program. The coach (a dad) had them robotically warming up before the championship game while our kids played duck duck goose after a day of eight hours of baseball. Long story short, we beat them in extra innings and he proceeded to start dropping f-bombs at his shortstop who threw to first instead of home allowing our winning run to score.

There are a lot of dads that just suck. And I saw no one on his team that looked like a future D1 player, let alone an MLB prospect.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #28
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
I have a 5th grader. You are only starting to figure out what you have in an athlete at that age, and you have ZERO idea how and when they're going to grow. I coach baseball, but I'm the baseball coach who plays everyone, moves kids around and generally don't give a flying you know what if we win or lose. It's all about getting better and having fun at this age. But you know what, we tend to win a lot because of it.

There are coaches in the leagues/area that aren't that way. We won a tourney a couple months ago against a team. They were a full time, year round travel program. We are a part time, second or third pick of the kids travel program. The coach (a dad) had them robotically warming up before the championship game while our kids played duck duck goose after a day of eight hours of baseball. Long story short, we beat them in extra innings and he proceeded to start dropping f-bombs at his shortstop who threw to first instead of home allowing our winning run to score.

There are a lot of dads that just suck. And I saw no one on his team that looked like a future D1 player, let alone an MLB prospect.
It is sad isn't it?

Anyone here ever go to soccer city?
There is one particular coach that I can't stand. He is constantly yelling at hte kids (8 year olds when we first played them). To the point that one of his players was crying.

I went and talked to the employees at the front desk about how inappropriate it was for any age, let alone 8 year olds. They just stared at me blankly. I told him in passing after their victory congrats on making your players cry.

I don't understand why any parent lets their kid play for a coach like that.

I son's team plays him again this Saturday. We will see how it goes
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:40 AM   #29
IndySooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
It is sad isn't it?

Anyone here ever go to soccer city?
There is one particular coach that I can't stand. He is constantly yelling at hte kids (8 year olds when we first played them). To the point that one of his players was crying.

I went and talked to the employees at the front desk about how inappropriate it was for any age, let alone 8 year olds. They just stared at me blankly. I told him in passing after their victory congrats on making your players cry.

I don't understand why any parent lets their kid play for a coach like that.

I son's team plays him again this Saturday. We will see how it goes
The only reason I coach (I swore I wouldn't) is because my daughter - a late bloomer athletically - got put on a softball team as an 8 year old that only cared about winning. She got stuck in the outfield the entire season and never picked up a bat again until her freshman year of high school. Guess what - she was the starting third baseman as a freshman without picking up a bat or glove since she was 8. Youth coaches suck. That's why I coach and why I coach the way I do.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:53 PM   #30
lk2183
Walk-on

A couple excerpts from an article with Alexander in the Oklahoman where OU is mentioned:

What are some of the things youíre looking for in a program?

ďThe only thing I can think of right now is just letting me do what I was doing. Mainly just being able to play as a freshman, having a big impact as a freshman while being able to learn and grow, things like that.Ē

You initially had seven schools you choose from when you first committed. Are you going to reconsider those programs or start with a clean slate?

ďItís kind of a start over type thing for me. Thereís no school that has the upper hand right now. Whoever shows me the best and fits what I want during the recruiting process is whoís going to get me. Those initial schools donít really mean anything anymore.Ē

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spor...rs/7352473002/
lk2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:16 PM   #31
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
My grandsons are in the 5th and 1st grade. They played club soccer for about 3 years before they switched to rec league basketball. One of the reasons they switched was the soccer coach, who was a parent of one of the kids. The coach was obsessed with soccer to the point that 2 years ago he started home-schooling his kids so they could practice more. His ultimate goal for himself is to be able to go to Europe and coach soccer. He sees his kids, who are good players, as a way to get his foot in the door. He was much too intense and negative for kids in that age group.
yup it gets crazy...especially the dads that coach so their kid can be the star and call the shots.

My son, 26 now, played with the same group of school kids, soccer, baseball, basketball. A pretty good group. My son and 2 others played college baseball (1 is in the Sox farm system), 1 played college football, 1 rowed at Stanford and 1 could have played soccer somewhere but didn't.

BUT, two dads who helped coach, along with me and some others...coached for THAT exact reason...wanted their kid to be the main dog.

The one kid playing A ball, his dad could have cared less...lol
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #32
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk2183 View Post
A couple excerpts from an article with Alexander in the Oklahoman where OU is mentioned:

What are some of the things youíre looking for in a program?

ďThe only thing I can think of right now is just letting me do what I was doing. Mainly just being able to play as a freshman, having a big impact as a freshman while being able to learn and grow, things like that.Ē

You initially had seven schools you choose from when you first committed. Are you going to reconsider those programs or start with a clean slate?

ďItís kind of a start over type thing for me. Thereís no school that has the upper hand right now. Whoever shows me the best and fits what I want during the recruiting process is whoís going to get me. Those initial schools donít really mean anything anymore.Ē

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spor...rs/7352473002/
Play and have a big impact, but be able to learn and grow? We wonder why the transfer portal is the way it is.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:11 PM   #33
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
yup it gets crazy...especially the dads that coach so their kid can be the star and call the shots.

My son, 26 now, played with the same group of school kids, soccer, baseball, basketball. A pretty good group. My son and 2 others played college baseball (1 is in the Sox farm system), 1 played college football, 1 rowed at Stanford and 1 could have played soccer somewhere but didn't.

BUT, two dads who helped coach, along with me and some others...coached for THAT exact reason...wanted their kid to be the main dog.

The one kid playing A ball, his dad could have cared less...lol
Yes & Iíve seen parents who were terrible but spew out wrong info because their kid is talented. They act like since their kid is good it makes them a better former athlete.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:49 PM   #34
Eielson
All-Conference

Pass.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #35
lk2183
Walk-on

Not that it matters to OU, but apparently announcing today.

lk2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:13 PM   #36
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Committed to Creighton
Old 06-04-2021, 06:49 PM   #37
lexusooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Committed to Creighton
Auburn then Creighton huh? Thatís interesting...odds on date of first portal entry from today:
0-6 months / 7 to 12 months/ 12-23 months/ 24+ months.

Iíll take 7 to 12 months ....
lexusooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:07 PM   #38
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusooner View Post
Auburn then Creighton huh? Thatís interesting...odds on date of first portal entry from today:

how long until christmas break?

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:30 PM   #39
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusooner View Post

Yes, if heís not playing point heíll transfer next year. Which is almost a guarantee.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:58 PM   #40
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Yes, if heís not playing point heíll transfer next year. Which is almost a guarantee.
Heís always gotten along by being a big guard. Not sure heíll be quick enough to play point at any level above high school.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote