ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Sawyer
Banned

Default It appears MU is more serious about Stevie Clark than I first thought

Our coaches are in Oklahoma watching him tonight.

Giving him tickets on an unofficial visit is one thing. It essentially costs the team nothing. But sending multiple coaches out to see him play in person just days before the biggest game of the year is different. It looks like the interest on Mizzou's end is legitimate.

I'm not sure I'd personally choose to sign two sub-6 foot point guards in one class, but I wouldn't complain, either.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Default Re: It appears MU is more serious about Stevie Clark than I first thought

you just don't know how good the kid is. Missouri coaches do.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
WTSooner
Elite Eight

Default Re: It appears MU is more serious about Stevie Clark than I first thought

The quotes I'm reading from Clark, I think he wants to stay home, and wants to like OU, but he seems really intelligent. Keep talking about getting to know the coaches, and making sure the style of play suits him. That scares me a bit, b/c I don't think we're running the same stuff now, that we'll be running in 2-3 years. Hopefully LK can get him to see that.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
trueou
Walk-on

The ability for his Mom and brothers to only drivie for 30 minutes to see him play half of his games should be attractive for him. He also wants a good education, which he could get at most D1 schools. However, if he wants to parlay his education into a good job in the OKC area, being the starting point guard on a great OU team would go a long ways toward that end.
trueou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Sawyer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueou View Post
The ability for his Mom and brothers to only drivie for 30 minutes to see him play half of his games should be attractive for him. He also wants a good education, which he could get at most D1 schools. However, if he wants to parlay his education into a good job in the OKC area, being the starting point guard on a great OU team would go a long ways toward that end.
I doubt many 17 year old basketball stars are thinking about getting a real job after four years in college.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
MissouriFan
Walk-on

I think Haith has changed his view on the importance of point guards and I'm guessing watching and working with Dixon and Pressey have had something to do with it.

At Miami it appears he relied heavily on combo SG to run the point. According to rivals database in his seven seasons at Miami he got commitments form a total of 3 point guards. 2 of them transfered after two seasons and the third never made it to campus. PG's didn't seem to be a priority for him. I'm sure that is a large part of why his teams at Miami struggled so much. Kind of like Mizzou's teams under quin.

So far at Mizzou he has a commitment from Jorgenson and is still after Clark and Harris in 2013 and Larry Austin in 2014. Haith has played Dixon and Pressey together a few times and I bet he likes what he sees. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw two PG playing at the same time some more in the future. He has also gotten to see what it is like having good point guard play all game. With Dixon coming off the bench we always have at least one great point guard on the floor handling and distributing the ball.

Last edited by MissouriFan; 02-23-2012 at 07:35 PM.
MissouriFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
bgrch1350
All-Conference

Whats the situation with nino Jackson?
bgrch1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:16 AM   #8
Capel's Mustache
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

I'm not sure I'd personally choose to sign two sub-6 foot point guards in one class, but I wouldn't complain, either.
It sounds like you are complaining
Capel's Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
campbest
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueou View Post
lol, kid is averaging 30+ a game in HS and is worried about how he can get a job at CHK after college.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
garyeb2
All-Conference

The kid will either stay home or go to a basketball school. What difference does it make whether or not Missouri is interested in him?
garyeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
DenverSooner
National Champion

I don't get why people are acting like Clark is not considering a future without the NBA. He comes from a good family and has a 4.0 grade point average. This is a mature young man that clearly cares about his future. I bet he has had discussions with his mother about life after basketball. Hopefully his NBA dream will happen or he will be able to play professionally at another level and make a nice living but I think his academic performance clearly demonstrates he is considering things other than just basketball.
DenverSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
Sawyer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyeb2 View Post
The kid will either stay home or go to a basketball school. What difference does it make whether or not Missouri is interested in him?
I'd love to hear your definition of a "basketball school."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSooner View Post
I don't get why people are acting like Clark is not considering a future without the NBA. He comes from a good family and has a 4.0 grade point average. This is a mature young man that clearly cares about his future. I bet he has had discussions with his mother about life after basketball. Hopefully his NBA dream will happen or he will be able to play professionally at another level and make a nice living but I think his academic performance clearly demonstrates he is considering things other than just basketball.
I'm sure he is. But from the way you describe him and his family, I suspect their discussions are about more than the way a local school would generate goodwill among local fans that might offer him a job. I'd guess they're more interested in the quality of the education he'll receive, how well athletes at schools he's considering tend to do in the classroom, etc.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
BigTime
The Red Wig

Quote:
I'd love to hear your definition of a "basketball school."

I'm sure he is. But from the way you describe him and his family, I suspect their discussions are about more than the way a local school would generate goodwill among local fans that might offer him a job. I'd guess they're more interested in the quality of the education he'll receive, how well athletes at schools he's considering tend to do in the classroom, etc.
Missouri is NOT a basketball school. You will get nobody on here (or on national board to call Mizzou a basketball school) to say otherwise.

OU averaged 10.5k butts in the seats (not tickets sold) in 2009 during their Elite 8 year. Had SRO for Colorado and Taco Tech. Heck, had 9.6 butts in the seats against Nebbish on a Wednesday night at 6pm. My point, fans will roll out for great teams.

Your team is a football school. Always has been. Always will be. You are going to the most rabid football conference in the country.

Stevie will go basketball school or OU imo.

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAM!
-BBS
BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #14
CoachTalk
All-American

Nino is nowhere to be found... No basketball this year to my knowledge...
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
BigTime
The Red Wig

Oh and Sawyer, the first step to being a basketball school is:

Making it to the final four.

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAM!
-BBS
Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
Sawyer
Banned

Congratulations on a 6-point win over Mizzou in 2002.

I suspect a recent 38-point margin of victory will be more relevant in Clark's decision-making process, though.

And I'd still love an actual definition of "basketball school."
Old 02-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
BigTime
The Red Wig

Quote:
Congratulations on a 6-point win over Mizzou in 2002.

I suspect a recent 38-point margin of victory will be more relevant in Clark's decision-making process, though.

And I'd still love an actual definition of "basketball school."
Not OU or Mizzou. Weak smack as well. We have more total wins, conference titles, final four appearences, All Americans, NBA draft picks, Head to head advantage, NCAA tournament appearances than Mizzou. Congrats on this year. You guys look good. Most of your team (the ones that matter) will be leaving. You are leaving the conference to go to an even bigger football conference. Good luck and have fun. My hope is that you find a Bama board to troll.

-BT

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAM!
-BBS
Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
campbest
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSooner View Post
He may be, but getting a job in the OKC market is not limited to going to an Oklahoma institution. If someone from out of state shows up with a prestigious degree, good chance they are going to get the nod.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
Sawyer
Banned

Nothing I posted was intended as smack.

What's OU's updated total wins number? The most recent number I could find was 1,511, which is below Mizzou by about 15.

Conference titles are the same, whether you're talking regular season or tournament.

Both MU and OU have had 20 different players earn All-American recognition.

You have a 45-40 edge in players drafted in the last 60 years of the NBA draft (a difference of one extra guy drafted every 12 years).

You have a head to head lead of about a dozen, but that difference occurred before 1975; since then, the two teams are even (actually a slight MU lead, I believe).

The only real difference between OU and MU is in one six-point OU win in the elite eight, a game in which MU missed 14 free throws and Gilbert went 1-16 from the floor. Just a below average game from him and MU very easily could have won that game, and each program would have one final four in the modern era.

But by all means continue believing OU is a superior program.

(we lose three major contributors and will bring three back while moving to a weaker overall conference; I'm not at all worried about MU's basketball future)
Old 02-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
SoonerBounce13
Elite Eight

Quote:
i will b/c I believe the truth
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #21
StatGeek
Starter

Quote:

What's OU's updated total wins number? The most recent number I could find was 1,511, which is below Mizzou by about 15.

Conference titles are the same, whether you're talking regular season or tournament.

You have a 45-40 edge in players drafted in the last 60 years of the NBA draft (a difference of one extra guy drafted every 12 years).

You have a head to head lead of about a dozen, but that difference occurred before 1975; since then, the two teams are even (actually a slight MU lead, I believe).

The only real difference between OU and MU is in one six-point OU win in the elite eight, a game in which MU missed 14 free throws and Gilbert went 1-16 from the floor. Just a below average game from him and MU very easily could have won that game, and each program would have one final four in the modern era.

(we lose three major contributors and will bring three back while moving to a weaker overall conference; I'm not at all worried about MU's basketball future)
And nobody in the country considers OU a basketball school. You just proved Mizzou isn't a basketball school, good job!

P.S. We obviously have the better basketball resume, if we want to make excuses to make ourselves feel better we should have beaten Kansas for a National Championship & we should have beat Indiana in the Final Four for a chance to play Maryland for a second championship. But that's not how it works.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot I think to be considered a basketball school you must win 20 or more games in a season a minimum of 12 years in a row. Mizzou has never done so in 5 straight years. Guess which school fits this criteria????

Wins
Oklahoma 977
Tulsa 893
Oklahoma State 812

Post Season Appearances
Oklahoma 31
Tulsa 24
Oklahoma State 22
***Note OU has more NCAA tournament appearances during this span than OSU has NCAA & NIT appearances combined***

Last Updated 1/27/2014

Last edited by StatGeek; 02-24-2012 at 12:20 PM.
StatGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
Starter

Quote:

Modern era = since the advent of the 64 team tourney. Do you either disagree with that or have a very poor recollection of OU's basketball history?
152219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
Starter

All-time
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/1004/cbe1.pdf

Since the 64 team tournament
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3493766
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3491747

Neither of those have been updated in a couple of years but no chance Mizzou comes close to jumping OU in either of those.

And no, I'm not arguing OU is as a basketball school
Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #24
Starter

Basketball-reference.com also did a rankings over the past 31 years in 2010
http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=8212
http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=7166
Old 02-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #25
Starter

Since the '84-85 season (beginning of 64 team tournament)

Mizzou
3 regular season conference championships
5 tourney championships
17 NCAA appearances
0 NCAA championship game appearances
0 Final Fours
3 Elite 8 appearances (one which was vacated FWIW)
4 Sweet 16s

OU
5 regular season conference championships
6 tourney championships
20 NCAA appearances
1 NCAA championship game appearances
2 Final Fours
5 Elite 8 appearances (one which was vacated FWIW)
8 Sweet 16s