ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 04-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #26
sybarite
National Champion

Default Re: Coale: Energy level high to turn Sooners around

According to what I read on the Texas boards, UT had zero interest in the 6-3 to 6-4 girl from the Dallas area.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:51 AM   #27
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Sherri is full of crap. Ive had it. Only good news on the horizon is shell probably be gone after next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #28
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Sherri is full of crap. I’ve had it. Only good news on the horizon is she’ll probably be gone after next season.

There is a possibility that Sherri is gone after the 2019-2020 season but personally I think it is slim and none. For certain the 2020 team is not going to be a serious contender for the conference championship. That is a 3 year or more project.

It makes no sense to allow Sherri to turn the program around to past glory unless you give her ample time to make the transformation and that is not overnight. I have grave doubts Sherri can get the job done but I feel certain Joe Castiglione will give her the opportunity to do so. JMHO.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #29
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
Not gibberish.

It is the way it should be but the real question is whether she will operate that way. A lot of people can speak the leadership thing but just can't trust people enough to listen to what they say. Particularly if they say something they don't agree with.

Unfortunately the ship has probably sailed. She either didn't do enough or didn't want to recruit the Brown 5* from Derby, Kansas. Oregon State, a sweet sixteen team had a glaring weakness in the middle and swooped in and not only got Brown but another 6-3 5* from the Dallas area. They have virtually everyone back from this year's team and if Brown and the other recruit live up to their ranking Oregon State could become real scary.
65 brown thinks shes Elena Dells Donn, she sees herself as a 3/ wing/Forward in college, going to OU she would have been forced to play center.... maybe she will end up at center at OSU, but with the size they have she has a better chance to play on the wing... one problem they could have is that 69 Aquino also wants to be more of a wing forward and will be a freshman next year.... the player Ou should haven went hard after was Taylor Jones who is 64, but has a 72 wing span... she wants to be a 5 in college and would have given Ou a starting shot blocking center for the next 4 years...
Old 04-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #30
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

+1
Old 04-01-2019, 07:51 PM   #31
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Default Coale: Energy level high to turn Sooners around

What she is saying is:

Im excited to have new perspectives. Were all going to get in a room and talk about what to do to win.

THEN, Im going to ignore everything anyone says and continue to do things my way.
🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

Old 04-02-2019, 06:28 AM   #32
tooney
Starter

I think I would rather have Mulkey, Dungee and Pellington back on the team with a new coach........
Old 04-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #33
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
What she is saying is:

Im excited to have new perspectives. Were all going to get in a room and talk about what to do to win.

THEN, Im going to ignore everything anyone says and continue to do things my way.
🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

History would say you are right but I am going to hope you are wrong.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:33 AM   #34
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooney View Post
I think I would rather have Mulkey, Dungee and Pellington back on the team with a new coach........
Me too. Furthermore, just think about all who have transferred from the program over the years. There have been the McD All Americans (one who changed her mind before she ever arrived) and those who were in the top 20 in their state. One thing we know for sure is SC/OU WBB is the common denominator. Yes, some get homesick, some get mad about playing time, some lack discipline, some...all kinds of reasons. But where is the support team/coaching staff to deal with all of the potential issues that all teams go through? I recently saw the interview with GAurriema talking about having to bench BStewart early in her college days (similar to SPellington issues). There's a way to deal with these challenges without having multiple transfers; especially more than one in the same year. AND your program is progressively declining from upper national ranking to the bottom of the conference. Something is very wrong with that picture. It SEEMS as though the program has free will without accountability. There is not another major DI that is run that way. Ask HWarlick. It SEEMS like OU WBB is untouchable. The choices made definitely do not make good business sense. Are they just a "hobby" department when it comes to accountability? IJS
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #35
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
What she is saying is:

🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

Clearly. If the evidence (and there's lots of it) is quacking with a long bill and web feet...just believe it must be a duck.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #36
soonerstar
All-Conference

Quote:
What she is saying is:

🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

Agree. She is not going to change her m.o. I saw Kelly Graves let an assistant do all the talking in the huddle during a crucial time out Sunday against Mississippi State. Have never seen Coale do this. She might find out others may have better ideas than her.
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #37
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerstar View Post
Agree. She is not going to change her m.o. I saw Kelly Graves let an assistant do all the talking in the huddle during a crucial time out Sunday against Mississippi State. Have never seen Coale do this. She might find out others may have better ideas than her.
Think about all of the successful teams...consistently successful teams and how the assistants interact during the game. Not so much at OU WBB and definitely not with authority. Well, except the time CC appeared to be getting on SPellington and "helped her get started toward the locker room".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg notre dame.jpg (54.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg baylor.jpg (88.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg UCONN.jpg (15.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Geno.jpg (89.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #38
Romulus
Starter

Will she have enough energy to do a Summer Camp like every other major program?
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #39
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Let the bookies among us establish the odds and agree to facilitate the payoffs and I'd be willing to lay down a bet.

Guess which way.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #40
zacj33
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbay View Post
Think about all of the successful teams...consistently successful teams and how the assistants interact during the game. Not so much at OU WBB and definitely not with authority. Well, except the time CC appeared to be getting on SPellington and "helped her get started toward the locker room".
Have you ever been to a practice? I went to one this year. Chad, Colton, and Pam all had sections of the practice that they ran.
zacj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #41
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacj33 View Post
Have you ever been to a practice? I went to one this year. Chad, Colton, and Pam all had sections of the practice that they ran.
I'm sure they did, however, I was referring to the roles DURING THE GAME.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #42
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

What time is practice held?

Old 04-06-2019, 08:40 PM   #43
zacj33
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbay View Post
I'm sure they did, however, I was referring to the roles DURING THE GAME.
Do you really think that what is said in the heat of game, is more important than what is said in practice?

A lot of people on this board are really grasping for straws when it comes to the failures of this program. It's obvious that the recruiting has been bad lately, probably why new assistants are being brought in. Geno could have coached this years team and not had much better results.

Last edited by zacj33; 04-06-2019 at 08:50 PM.
zacj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:04 AM   #44
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Default Coale: Energy level high to turn Sooners around

Well, this is Sherris mess. She made it. She says shes going to clean it up.

Go for it!

We are all going to see if she still has the grit to make it happen.

There are some decent looking players in the transfer portal and there are some junior college kids still out there that dont look too bad.

Sadly, a lot of potentially good players have already signed up.

Next year is probably not going to be much better unless, as she seems to acknowledge, she gets some height in here in the next 4 months.

It will be interesting and informative to see what transpires.

But we should all remember it has been Sherri and her son who have definitely had some trouble recruiting the upper echelons of players the last couple of years.

Last edited by Oliver Hardy; 04-07-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #45
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacj33 View Post
Do you really think that what is said in the heat of game, is more important than what is said in practice?

A lot of people on this board are really grasping for straws when it comes to the failures of this program. It's obvious that the recruiting has been bad lately, probably why new assistants are being brought in. Geno could have coached this years team and not had much better results.
I can't speak to "A lot of people". And you're exactly right about "Geno". Geno, Muffet, Kim and the late John Wooden combined would have only had a slightly better result because the players are who they are, with the skill set limitations and size that they have. If you have limited products, don't expect to open a Super Target Store. If you don't have the players to compete effectively based on matchups, then don't expect to win. Recruiting and a diversified coaching staff (culturally, ethnically and skill set) is where it starts and OU WBB have done a horrible job of it IMHO. Even when they were getting the top 20 players in the country, it was sheer luck; not their plans, strategy or beating the paths to gyms around the world. Then there are those other things that are critical such as building relationships early with camps. It goes to show that you can have quite a bit of success with great talent with the absence of development, game time coaching, etc...because they had players with high hoops IQ, winning attitudes and chemistry. They all left and this is where you progressively land. At home in March, wishing and hoping for luck again. If you haven't put in the work, don't bank on positive results. Ain't nobody that lucky!

EDIT
Furthermore...it's been stated/rumored that SC/OU WBB has a "list" of some sort for the type of players they want. The "Christian values" have been supposedly a part of it. Well, what about this... If the program is dead set on Christian values, then they should be willing to do away with a "list" and live their lives in a way that the "heathens" they recruit will evolve to these great people they want, if they are living a life that the players see has value and want to change. That is what Christianity is about. You don't have to love the sin, tattoos, sexual orientation or behaviors...but you should love the person enough to hope and pray for change. Or do they think their "list" is the likes of the 10 Commandments and they are gods? Just saying...done preaching!

Last edited by Soonerbay; 04-07-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #46
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

If Geno was coaching this team we would not have averaged 20 turnovers a game and I doubt that Pellington would be out the door. No question he would not have hesitated to bench her for violation of team rules but he would have not let her wither away.

Playing time had nothing to do with the transfer of Dungee and Pellington. Both should have been solid regulars. Probably some for Mulkey who could have done us some good at the high post where she is doing quite nicely for Rice.

Sherri says that playing time is earned in practice. I agree with that but you should follow the game plan that is set in proctice. Her substitutions often leave me wondering where did that come from.

I have generally been a supporter of Sherri but losing those kids to transfers really has ticked me off. That doesn't happen with good leadership. Also the lack of any inside size has got to be strictly on her.

Her recruiting the last two years has definitely improved. Lacking only in Div I quality inside players.

I wonder if her point system applies in practice as well.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #47
soonerstar
All-Conference

The Board of Regents will review Coales contract, as well as many others Thursday at their meeting in Sulphur. Hopefully, they will not extend her contract and give her and Junior a raise.
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #48
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

I doubt that Coale gets a contract extention or a raise after last season's team performance. But she is still under contract through June 30, 2022. Rest assured Sherri will be given the 3 years through the 2021-2022 season of her current contract to fix the current WBB problems.

I would not project it but would not be surprised if Colton was given a token raise from his current $85K salary and got a year or two extention. JMHO.

https://www.normantranscript.com/spo...41e6db0fa.html