ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 03-19-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Default Bo Overton

See he’s got a winning team. How long has he been gone? Long enough I can’t remember why. Was he at odds with Sherri, or was it something involving his treatment of players? I cannot remember.

Was it one reason publicly and another privately? That seems right for some
Reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
OUDallas66
Walk-on

Default Re: Bo Overton

Bo Overton's record at Oklahoma City University

2015-16 20-9
2016-17 34-2
2017-18 28-6
2018-19 33-5

Totals 115-22
OUDallas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #3
SoonerShamrock
Starter

He left OU to become Head Coach for the University of Missouri-Kansas City women's team.
SoonerShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:28 PM   #4
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerShamrock View Post
He left OU to become Head Coach for the University of Missouri-Kansas City women's team.
He also coached a year for the Chicago Sky of the WNBA.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #5
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Knew I wasn’t crazy.

https://newsok.com/article/3215920/b...-as-wnba-coach

He must have solved his issues.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:12 AM   #6
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

So my question is two-fold:

Does this prevent Bo from ever returning to OU as an assistant or head coach?

Should he be considered?

Old 03-20-2019, 03:18 AM   #7
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

At age 58 I don't think Bo would be a good candidate for any position at OU. Youth, energy and recruiting enthusiasm are probably no longer his strengths. JMHO.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:42 AM   #8
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
At age 58 I don't think Bo would be a good candidate for any position at OU. Youth, energy and recruiting enthusiasm are probably no longer his strengths. JMHO.
Seems to recruiting well enough to win.

Old people (58) not that old can still recruit. Plenty of old coaches winning
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:25 AM   #9
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Seems to recruiting well enough to win.

Old people (58) not that old can still recruit. Plenty of old coaches winning
Not saying Bo could not get the job done. Am indicating that the OU administration is more likely to perceive that a younger, more aggressive coach is preferred long term. I don't envision OU wanting to hire a coach that might retire in 5-7 years with the possibility of having to repeat the process in 5-7 years being relatively high.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #10
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

If you are an agressive person you will probably be one even beyond retirement years.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #11
cowboysooner
Starter

IMO, we need one really good coach at Xs, Os, and fundamentals, and then one really great recruiter.

I think Bo would be perfect for the first job just mentioned. I have no idea what his and his and Sherri's relationship is and whether she would consider him or he would consider an assistant's job.
cowboysooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:58 PM   #12
rickjames
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysooner View Post
IMO, we need one really good coach at Xs, Os, and fundamentals, and then one really great recruiter.

I think Bo would be perfect for the first job just mentioned. I have no idea what his and his and Sherri's relationship is and whether she would consider him or he would consider an assistant's job.
I wouldn’t mind Bo as a replacement for Sherri in the future. Or Jackson, of course.
rickjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #13
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjames View Post
I wouldn’t mind Bo as a replacement for Sherri in the future. Or Jackson, of course.

+1 here
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:50 PM   #14
skyvue
Elite Eight

I don't think we need someone who lost a job over inappropriate behavior toward women coaching a team of young Sooner women.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #15
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I don't think we need someone who lost a job over inappropriate behavior toward women coaching a team of young Sooner women.
+1
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #16
soonermike22
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
It is my understanding, but could not find news article, that the female who made the accusations against him recanted those accusations, and admitted they were not true.
soonermike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #17
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermike22 View Post
It is my understanding, but could not find news article, that the female who made the accusations against him recanted those accusations, and admitted they were not true.
Based on his hiring by the WNBA Tulsa Shock, pro teams abroad and OCU there is reason to believe there maybe some truth to your understanding.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #18
soonerstar
All-Conference

Quote:
Based on his hiring by the WNBA Tulsa Shock, pro teams abroad and OCU there is reason to believe there maybe some truth to your understanding.
Exactly!
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #19
swok34
Walk-on

I thought something happened with a female player when he was coaching WNBA Chicago. I don't recall hearing anything prior to that.

He is an excellent defensive coach. Not sure about X's and O's.

I think we need someone younger as well. Recruiting is brutal, BRUTAL from some of the things I have heard and coaches that have retired or quit as a result.
swok34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #20
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by swok34 View Post
I thought something happened with a female player when he was coaching WNBA Chicago. I don't recall hearing anything prior to that.

He is an excellent defensive coach. Not sure about X's and O's.

I think we need someone younger as well. Recruiting is brutal, BRUTAL from some of the things I have heard and coaches that have retired or quit as a result.
Agreed...probably one of the most challenging aspects of the job and it directly impacts results. However, I don't agree that the head coach or any coach has to be younger. Diversity is key...age, ethnicity, education, skill set, social skills, etc. Student-athletes come from all walks of life. There should be someone on the coaching staff to support all needs (development, emotional support, game time coaching, etc...) of the student-athletes..
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #21
soonerstar
All-Conference

Can not see Coale bringing him back. Also, can not see him wanting to come back. Been there and done that. He is 115-22 in 4 years at OCU, with a national championship and national runnersup this year. I know it it NAIA. Rather be head coach there than assistant at OU. Coale lost as many games this year as Bo has in his 4 years at OCU.
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #22
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerstar View Post
Can not see Coale bringing him back. Also, can not see him wanting to come back. Been there and done that. He is 115-22 in 4 years at OCU, with a national championship and national runnersup this year. I know it it NAIA. Rather be head coach there than assistant at OU. Coale lost as many games this year as Bo has in his 4 years at OCU.
Can't imagine he would ever comeback as an assistant at this point. At the same time, can't imagine he would turn down the head coach position if offered. He can always go back to NAIA or retire... But of course all of our opinions are "toss in the air and see what sticks thoughts" considering we (well, I'll speak for myself) don't know SC's or BO's financial portfolio, personal goals, family priorities, etc. For all we know, SC could be tapped out financially and need this job for another 10 years. Speaking of which...we see sunny boy on the bench now and out on the recruiting trail , working with his mom. Maybe her husband will come out of retirement and help. Just make it one big happy family business! JK...kinda.

http://www.purcellregister.com/sport...a0d4adeee.html
Old 03-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #23
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Dane Coale's retirement is old news. He retired from coaching 10 years ago.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #24
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Dane Coale's retirement is old news. He retired from coaching 10 years ago.
Yes, but the date of his retirement was not the point.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:48 AM   #25
womenssports
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermike22 View Post

I don't believe that is true. I am also not sure there was just one. The woman played or is still playing the W. It would seem she would have suffered some concequences. I certainly know nothing for sure nor first-hand but do not believe the player I am thinking of recanted anything.