ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 03-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #26
soonerstar
All-Conference

Default Re: Coach Coale on the Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
Mulkey has more right in the HOF than Sherri does with those two titles. Like her or hate her, she has created quite a program. The head to head battle with Sherri is not close and will only get worse.
Very true!
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #27
Romulus
Starter

Mulkey has made Sherri her lapdog.
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #28
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I would have to agree as well. Overall, on paper, her career has been more of a success. It doesn't mean she's a better person. But she has created a consistent powerhouse of a program and her players know how to play. I could never see a team of hers win less than 20 games a season. In fact, I wonder when the last time she had a year with less than 20 wins? Anyway, she'll be inducted sooner rather than later IMO
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #29
soonerstar
All-Conference

Can you see Mulkey being 8-22 at Baylor? lol
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #30
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Frankly, no I canít. Does she have a player evaluation point system?

Perhaps we could borrow hers?

JK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #31
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

I feel that top athletic basketball players are at the very top of Kim's scale. Not so certain that is the case for Sherri. At least history indicates otherwise.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #32
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Seems you believe Sherri is more interested in turning out good adults than winning basketball teams, which seems plausible to me.

That is a wonderful, worthwhile focus.

But not her mandate or in her job description as far as I am concerned. I also donít think they are mutually exclusive.

However, her primary focus, her first obligation to OU and program fans ó and, truthfully, to her players ó is to sign the best recruits, top recruits and turn them into division, conference championships; and produce great records, make the program the envy of all others and to contend,and possibly win, national championships.

I believe Sherri has lost sight of those primary obligations.

As I have said before, if she wants to be a guidance councilor, minister or whatever, wonderful. Please go and do that. The world needs those people more than they do basketball coaches.

But pick one as your primary focus in life and get a job doing that.

It is supposed to be basketball right now. Sheís getting $1.2 million a year to coach and produce winning basketball teams.

She should do her dang job or move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #33
annabelle
Walk-on

Thumbs up Re: Coach Coale on the Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphguy View Post
Oh, come on! I know you don't like Mulkey, but to assume she won't be in the Hall of Fame as a coach is preposterous. She has won multiple national championships. That alone will like put her there. Get real.
no doubt
annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #34
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabelle View Post
no doubt
She also won a couple as an assistant coach at La Tech.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #35
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabelle View Post
no doubt
Without doubt Kim will be a HOF coach just like she is already a HOF player. She does have some resistence from those that hold the recruiting issues that resulted when her daughter played for the travel team that had several players sign with the bears. But time will resolve those issues just like time resolved the lack of votes Barry Switzer got for years because of the OU recruiting violations in the 80's.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 03-20-2019 at 03:13 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:53 AM   #36
sdcloud9
Starter

I saw Coach Ross at the NJCAA Tournament in Lubbock on Tuesday. She saw Northwest Florida State (a threat to win the Juco title) but I'm not sure if she is serious about any of their players specifically.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #37
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
I support Sherri getting to fix the problem she has earned that right. But realistically I doubt she can be successful. Too much water under the bridge. I don't see the Sooners in my lifetime be a serious annual contender for the conference until a new coach is in place. Even then you are probably looking at 3-5 years minimum.
Didn't realize you were THAT old!
Old 03-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #38
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
Didn't realize you were THAT old!

For certain I am no spring chicken but I also don't see the Sooners playing for a conference championship in the next decade. Sherri is 1-19 against Kim the last ten years for a reason. And I don't see that changing even with new assistants. JMHO.

But we should know more in the next couple of years as we will acquire more talent and depth while the bears will be losing a lot a talented players. But then Kim recruits very very well.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 03-20-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #39
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I really wonder how KM can get so many great players to Baylor year in and year out? It's a normal size city, nothing special. I'm sure facilities are comparable to OU's... I wonder if she just relies on her results, let's them do the talking for her, or if she's actually very charming and attentive to these girls she goes after? I know she is someone you don't want to get on your bad side. I also see her coaching NONSTOP on that sideline, something I don't see SC doing lately. This is something I would notice if I were a prospect watching the Lady Bears play. It seems the players that go to BU also improve, whereas it's hit or miss if they do while at OU. I know nothing about her assistants, except it looks like her daughter is on her staff. At least her daughter was a college bb player though, which gives her some credibility.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:37 AM   #40
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Extreme conference domination, continued national success with 2 nattys, excellent academic school. Aggressive recruiter that recruits nationally with half her roster from out-of-state plus has a very large core of in-state players. The last 10 years the Bears have won 10 conference championships, been to 3 Sweet 16's, 5 Elite Eights, 1 Final Four and 1 national championship. Averaged 33.3 wins for the last 10 years.

Net, net team wins big, great education with 92% graduation rate , strong academic staff, outstanding coaching. The things not to like about Baylor from a WBB prospective is Waco, TX, the sexual abuse issues, Kim Mulkey's abrasiveness, the David Bliss issues and the attitude of the administration to win at all cost and coverup everything at all cost. Which is the total opposite of the religious teaching of their church founding fathers.

Her daughter is Associate Director of Basketball Operations for the Bears.

https://baylorbears.com/news/2018/11...cess-rate.aspx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Mulkey

https://baylorbears.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball
Old 03-23-2019, 07:29 AM   #41
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Extreme conference domination, continued national success with 2 nattys, excellent academic school. Aggressive recruiter that recruits nationally with half her roster from out-of-state plus has a very large core of in-state players. The last 10 years the Bears have won 10 conference championships, been to 3 Sweet 16's, 5 Elite Eights, 1 Final Four and 1 national championship. Averaged 33.3 wins for the last 10 years.

Net, net team wins big, great education with 92% graduation rate , strong academic staff, outstanding coaching. The things not to like about Baylor from a WBB prospective is Waco, TX, the sexual abuse issues, Kim Mulkey's abrasiveness, the David Bliss issues and the attitude of the administration to win at all cost and coverup everything at all cost. Which is the total opposite of the religious teaching of their church founding fathers.

Exactly. It's now a prime time for OU WBB to go back and do some "first works" in building relationships. That's where it starts and must be maintained. And start in OK first, then all bordering states and other states that are alum based (CA). There should not be an OK high school player that does not have OU on their final list for reasons other than it's the right thing to do since it's close to home. The head coach HAS TO show up at summer tournaments and high school games of the top recruits EARLY! I'm not sure that SC can gain those relationships at this point...too much water under the bridge. SHansmeyer was the last coach that had known presence in CA and SC is rarely seen. PDeCosta had no respect in CA. But whenever SC is done/retires, the new head coach has to come out like gang busters.
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #42
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:

Not to forget basketball teammates killing teammates.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #43
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
Not to forget basketball teammates killing teammates.
I considered that part of the Bliss affair of helping hide the issue. I don't consider what the player did individually as systemic to the school. OU and OSU have had multiple individuals commit felonies that were not a university problem. but a personal problem.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:58 AM   #44
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
I considered that part of the Bliss affair of helping hide the issue. I don't consider what the player did individually as systemic to the school. OU and OSU have had multiple individuals commit felonies that were not a university problem. but a personal problem.
Spock!!

Come on. Everyone knows OU - and every player (both current and ex) - is perfect.

1. Never a recruiting violation.
2. Never a dishonest coach.
3. Never an unkind comment.
4. Never an actual foul in a basketball game.
5. Not even a hint of bad language from anyone associated with the program.
6. Not even a hint of nepotism.

Truly the envy of every university in the country.

You should at least know that much!!!
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:45 PM   #45
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Spock!!

Come on. Everyone knows OU - and every player (both current and ex) - is perfect.

What I thought it was only you, Syb and tycat that knew of the Sooner perfection.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 03-23-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #46
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Quote:
Spock!!

This is sarcasm, right??
Old 03-29-2019, 01:30 PM   #47
True Colors
Walk-on

Quote:

The negatives which you mention about Baylor are things which rarely(or never) get cited by top WBB recruits.

I am not sure how many college towns that you have ever visited, but I have been to quite a few. Waco is on par with a lot of other college towns, including Norman Oklahoma. One big advantage that Waco does offer is its close proximity to several recruiting hotbeds(Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc.). Many recruits really like the idea that their parents can easily come visit them and see them play in person -- even on weeknight games.

(on a side note, it is a common myth that being located in a big exciting city helps to build a big, exciting athletic program. In fact, the opposite is more often true -- just look at the widespread lack of successful college athletics in big cities like Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, San Diego, New York City, Boston, Denver, etc.)

Your "win at all cost" comments about Baylor are completely off the mark. Baylor fired its most successful football coach of all time based strictly off of an internal investigation, which was strictly self initiated and self funded. That is the complete opposite of "covering up at all costs" or "winning at all costs."

TC
Old 03-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #48
soonermike22
Walk-on

[quote=

Your "win at all cost" comments about Baylor are completely off the mark. Baylor fired its most successful football coach of all time based strictly off of an internal investigation, which was strictly self initiated and self funded. That is the complete opposite of "covering up at all costs" or "winning at all costs."

TC[/QUOTE]
Just a little disagreement on why Art Briles got fired-Baylor got caught covering up sexual misconduct by football players, with him involved. Several law suits still going on to pry open the cover up.
soonermike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #49
atlantasooner
All-Conference

fyi, Hale is claiming next week that he will have some actual names of spring recruiting targets. stay tuned.
atlantasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:42 PM   #50
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
The negatives which you mention about Baylor are things which rarely(or never) get cited by top WBB recruits.

I am not sure how many college towns that you have ever visited, but I have been to quite a few. Waco is on par with a lot of other college towns, including Norman Oklahoma. One big advantage that Waco does offer is its close proximity to several recruiting hotbeds(Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc.). Many recruits really like the idea that their parents can easily come visit them and see them play in person -- even on weeknight games.

(on a side note, it is a common myth that being located in a big exciting city helps to build a big, exciting athletic program. In fact, the opposite is more often true -- just look at the widespread lack of successful college athletics in big cities like Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, San Diego, New York City, Boston, Denver, etc.)

TC
Poppycock on all points except location proximity. You know little of which you speak with the exception of your point regarding location and Waco' proximity to major Texas cities. Your success recruiting WBB's top recruits can be explained in 2 words Kim Mulkey. Think Pam Bowers 168-257 and Sonja Hogg 83-91. That 251-348 (.350) describes WBB the 21 years before Kim arrived in Waco.

If you are going to warrant Baylor's actions regarding the Briles circumstances at Baylor you need to get your head out of the sand. Had Baylor's administration been responsible Starr and the AD would still have their jobs and Briles would have been gone months before the sexual assault charges became public. Likewise Baylor would have been transparent with the results of the Pepper Hamilton investigation instead of being taken to court and forced by a judges order to release it 3 years later.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-assault-cases

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-assault-cases

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor...ars_basketball

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 03-31-2019 at 06:57 AM.