ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 03-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
MisterF
Walk-on

Default Coach Coale on the Radio

I heard Sheri on the radio today. Some tidbits I remember:

1. May be awhile for the new hires. She is being respectful of teams that are still playing. She said there has been a lot of interest. She was excited about the possibilities.

2. She said the responsibility of this team's leadership and achievement is squarely on her shoulders.

3. They are out beating the bushes looking for some size that can help next year. Currently at the National JC tourney. Size is a high priority.

4. She feels good about the young nucleus including the three new girls for next year.

5. She said her goal was to get this team back where they are winning the big 12 and competing for the national championship.

6. She said the response from recruits on the road has been tremendous. Today's recruits want to be the one that turns a program around.

7. She, son and Jan are doing the recruiting, Jan is allowed until the new hires take over.

8. Said that Gabby was extremely competitive in one on one situations, whether around the ball or away.

9. Said Scott was a very long player, has long arms. Also very athletic.

That is all I remember and paraphrase some. Coale seemed excited and fired up about the future. Time will tell.
MisterF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
sybarite
National Champion

Default Re: Coach Coale on the Radio

+1
sybarite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF View Post
I heard Sheri on the radio today. Some tidbits I remember:

1. May be awhile for the new hires. She is being respectful of teams that are still playing. She said there has been a lot of interest. She was excited about the possibilities.

2. She said the responsibility of this team's leadership and achievement is squarely on her shoulders.

3. They are out beating the bushes looking for some size that can help next year. Currently at the National JC tourney. Size is a high priority.

4. She feels good about the young nucleus including the three new girls for next year.

5. She said her goal was to get this team back where they are winning the big 12 and competing for the national championship.

6. She said the response from recruits on the road has been tremendous. Today's recruits want to be the one that turns a program around.

7. She, son and Jan are doing the recruiting, Jan is allowed until the new hires take over.

8. Said that Gabby was extremely competitive in one on one situations, whether around the ball or away.

9. Said Scott was a very long player, has long arms. Also very athletic.

That is all I remember and paraphrase some. Coale seemed excited and fired up about the future. Time will tell.

Best news is they are going the JC route for a quick fix on a 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Good news on all 3 recruiting at same time.

Better news that they are scouring the JC ranks for a 5. I hope they will consider finding 2.

Sounds like they using the right pitch with recruits: return to greatness.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Glad to hear all of this. Going strong in the right direction.

Too bad it took Joe C putting her on a short leash to get her to do those things.

There’s now a good chance better days are ahead.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #6
soonermike22
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Good news on all 3 recruiting at same time.

Better news that they are scouring the JC ranks for a 5. I hope they will consider finding 2.

Sounds like they using the right pitch with recruits: return to greatness.

Yes, yes, yes on finding 2 JC's or small college players with size. Competition and depth would increase our chance of having a presence in the middle
soonermike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
sybarite
National Champion

You know. There just aren't a lot of Hall of Fame Coaches still coaching basketball. I think Stanford and UConn have one. Notre Dame? Muffit may be one. Sylvia Hatchell may be one. Brenda? Mulkey is in the Hall of Fame, but as a player, doubt she ever will be as a coach.

I don't think that Joe Castiglione finds it necessary to provide much direction to a Hall of Fame coach. She has her own fire, and I think she probably decided that some things needed to change.

Is it necessary to think that a coach, a very successful coach, would require monitoring from an administration office? It does seem that there is a tendency to think that coaches need controlling, as though they were little children, or maybe females. But, these are individuals who know their sport, and they have track records of proven success.

I suspect that Castiglione would prefer that OU coaches quit hiring their family. But, I don't think he is all that concerned about the direction of a Hall of Fame coach. After all, if he were to fire her, he'd have to replace her, and that could be a disaster. Better to avoid rocking the boat and let it be the waves that turn it over than to be the interfering administrator who needs to stay in his office and solve greater problems. Like, we once had one of three perennial wrestling champions. Now, we finish behind North Dakota State.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
soonermike22
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
You know. There just aren't a lot of Hall of Fame Coaches still coaching basketball. I think Stanford and UConn have one. Notre Dame? Muffit may be one. Sylvia Hatchell may be one. Brenda? Mulkey is in the Hall of Fame, but as a player, doubt she ever will be as a coach.

I don't think that Joe Castiglione finds it necessary to provide much direction to a Hall of Fame coach. She has her own fire, and I think she probably decided that some things needed to change.

Is it necessary to think that a coach, a very successful coach, would require monitoring from an administration office? It does seem that there is a tendency to think that coaches need controlling, as though they were little children, or maybe females. But, these are individuals who know their sport, and they have track records of proven success.

I suspect that Castiglione would prefer that OU coaches quit hiring their family. But, I don't think he is all that concerned about the direction of a Hall of Fame coach. After all, if he were to fire her, he'd have to replace her, and that could be a disaster. Better to avoid rocking the boat and let it be the waves that turn it over than to be the interfering administrator who needs to stay in his office and solve greater problems. Like, we once had one of three perennial wrestling champions. Now, we finish behind North Dakota State.
Really? So adults don't need supervision? or the occasional reminder about what is expected of them in whatever position they are in?
Every position at OU is required to have an evaluation every year. Athletics always say that every year the Athletic department and individual sports do a review and evaluation of that sport. So they skip it once you go into the HOF????

Pleassseeee Syb, there was at least a conversation between adults, respect given, but the AD and administration will at least say what is expected.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #9
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:

Just cannot keep the unnessary politics out of the discussion can you?
Old 03-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #10
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Championship game for the WBB Final Four is April 7th. I would think we will have the assistants on board by the middle of April. If Sherri has had a lot of interest she has some preliminary names on her list.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #11
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermike22 View Post
Really? So adults don't need supervision? or the occasional reminder about what is expected of them in whatever position they are in?
Every position at OU is required to have an evaluation every year. Athletics always say that every year the Athletic department and individual sports do a review and evaluation of that sport. So they skip it once you go into the HOF????

Pleassseeee Syb, there was at least a conversation between adults, respect given, but the AD and administration will at least say what is expected.
I wonder sometimes if any of you have ever held a professional position - a truly professional position. No, they do not come screaming at you every year micro-managing every aspect of your responsibilities. "Here is who you have to hire". "My grandson needs a job - find one for him at top pay". "Play this player 7.25 minutes in every game". etc. That is simply not the way those conversations go. And all of you should be wise enough to know it. Only totally inept managers do it that way. Some of you seem to be saying JC is an inept manager.

Does anyone on here really think there is anyone at OU who knows more about WBB than SC?

The normal approach is to have the coach discuss what they feel about the situation and ask for some assistance where needed. At times to discuss changes they have in mind, and admit where they have been disappointed. Likely set some goals for the next few years.

And by the way, :Every person at OU does not get an evaluation every year. Some do, but many do not.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #12
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
I wonder sometimes if any of you have ever held a professional position - a truly professional position. No, they do not come screaming at you every year micro-managing every aspect of your responsibilities. "Here is who you have to hire". "My grandson needs a job - find one for him at top pay". "Play this player 7.25 minutes in every game". etc. That is simply not the way those conversations go. And all of you should be wise enough to know it. Only totally inept managers do it that way. Some of you seem to be saying JC is an inept manager.

Does anyone on here really think there is anyone at OU who knows more about WBB than SC?

The normal approach is to have the coach discuss what they feel about the situation and ask for some assistance where needed. At times to discuss changes they have in mind, and admit where they have been disappointed. Likely set some goals for the next few years.

And by the way, :Every person at OU does not get an evaluation every year. Some do, but many do not.
+1
Old 03-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #13
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

She said she’d had some good interest.

Looking forward to seeing what coach lands on all fronts.

Mac, please ban Syb. We’ve all had enough.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #14
soonermike22
Walk-on

Just a reminder, there are lots of ways to remind employees an improvement is necessary. For some, a hard push, for many professionals questions about what they are going to do about whatever can guide a productive discussion about problem areas. 4 wins in conference is a problem that needs to be addressed. I am sure that a real professional knows how to guide another real professional to trouble areas gently for discussion. But if there wasn't a discussion at some point, JC would not be doing his job.
And every permanent OU employee is required to have an evaluation. There are always some missed, skipped, or just forgotten.

I am not trying to bad mouth anyone, but some people really try to put down those who they disagree with. To those people, lets be kind and just have different opinions.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #15
j2d2
All-American

It seems to me that SC found herself in Stoops' position a few years ago. In his case, some coaches quit recruiting and lost some interest in coaching and we fell off gradually until he finally saw that something had to be done. Personally, I'm convinced he retired to avoid firing his brother plus it seemed a good time for a number of reasons. I'm glad she is scouting the jc ranks. She should have time to be thorough on both choosing coaches and players.Myself, I'd much prefer that at least one be a wizard at recruiting even if coaching wasnt their best talent.
j2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #16
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Does anyone know if there is a recording posted of this interview that we can go to to listen?
Soonerguy06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:28 PM   #17
euphguy
Starter

Quote:

Oh, come on! I know you don't like Mulkey, but to assume she won't be in the Hall of Fame as a coach is preposterous. She has won multiple national championships. That alone will like put her there. Get real.
euphguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #18
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphguy View Post
Oh, come on! I know you don't like Mulkey, but to assume she won't be in the Hall of Fame as a coach is preposterous. She has won multiple national championships. That alone will like put her there. Get real.
Mulkey has more right in the HOF than Sherri does with those two titles. Like her or hate her, she has created quite a program. The head to head battle with Sherri is not close and will only get worse.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #19
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2d2 View Post
It seems to me that SC found herself in Stoops' position a few years ago. In his case, some coaches quit recruiting and lost some interest in coaching and we fell off gradually until he finally saw that something had to be done. Personally, I'm convinced he retired to avoid firing his brother plus it seemed a good time for a number of reasons. I'm glad she is scouting the jc ranks. She should have time to be thorough on both choosing coaches and players.Myself, I'd much prefer that at least one be a wizard at recruiting even if coaching wasnt their best talent.
Unfortunately, I do not believe that Stoops every had an 8-22 season. Stoops worst season was 8-5 which is what Sherri has been doing for about a decade. This year the wheels came off the wagon.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:13 PM   #20
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
Mulkey has more right in the HOF than Sherri does with those two titles. Like her or hate her, she has created quite a program. The head to head battle with Sherri is not close and will only get worse.
She may get in some day. But the HOF is not just about how many games you can win.

The fact is she had to cheat to build the teams she now has. How many other WBB teams have been penalized by the NCAA for cheating in recruiting? Everyone was shocked when the facts came out and it turned out she had to violate major NCAA rules - intentionally - to recruit the Griner bunch. They have used that success to maintain their program. Many likely continue to wonder if she is still playing those recruiting games to this day. While there is no direct evidence at this point that she is, it is the kind of thing that follows you over the years.

It is a fact that SC was not as successful at maintaining the recruiting train from her top slates. But at least no one is thinking that she may be a cheater.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #21
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

I find it hard to be too optimistic. There is a need to improve our half court game a lot. We are and have been largely a behind the arc and one on one team for several years. You need exceptional talent to win that way. We just don't get open shots that the better teams get. We have very little movement without the ball and most of our screens are ball screens at the top of the arc. Our centers are not good enough to make them work. Both defensive players involved in our ball screens just make sure that Robertson or other players don't get a good shot off of them.

I suspect that most of the Big 12 coaches work to control OU's fast break game and force us into the half court game. One of Sherri's problems is that there are better coaches in the Big 12 than there were during our better years.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:37 PM   #22
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
She may get in some day. But the HOF is not just about how many games you can win.

The fact is she had to cheat to build the teams she now has. How many other WBB teams have been penalized by the NCAA for cheating in recruiting? Everyone was shocked when the facts came out and it turned out she had to violate major NCAA rules - intentionally - to recruit the Griner bunch. They have used that success to maintain their program. Many likely continue to wonder if she is still playing those recruiting games to this day. While there is no direct evidence at this point that she is, it is the kind of thing that follows you over the years.

It is a fact that SC was not as successful at maintaining the recruiting train from her top slates. But at least no one is thinking that she may be a cheater.
I have the impression that a lot of being elected to the Hall of Fame as a coach is how they feel about your value to the game.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:48 PM   #23
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
I find it hard to be too optimistic. There is a need to improve our half court game a lot. We are and have been largely a behind the arc and one on one team for several years. You need exceptional talent to win that way. We just don't get open shots that the better teams get. We have very little movement without the ball and most of our screens are ball screens at the top of the arc. Our centers are not good enough to make them work. Both defensive players involved in our ball screens just make sure that Robertson or other players don't get a good shot off of them.

I suspect that most of the Big 12 coaches work to control OU's fast break game and force us into the half court game. One of Sherri's problems is that there are better coaches in the Big 12 than there were during our better years.
I don't know. But, I have always had the impression that we didn't have all aspects of the game covered. When we had Courtney, we could usually dominate the paint, offensively and defensively. But, I found myself wishing that we had that guard like Stanford had that broke down the defense and scored from everywhere. Later, we ran into much the same thing with Louisville.

I wonder if when we get everyone some experience if we won't have the bases covered whether running or in a half court game. Need a post to be at least a garbage collector. But, with Madi, Liz, and, possibly, Gabby, on the inside, will we not have a lot of short game people who can score?

Now, add to that Ana, Taylor, Jessi, and, once again, Gabby, will we not have the outside game covered with multiple potential weapons? It kinds of strikes me that we may have a situation in the half court where we have more options than we have had. The long game would be aided by a midcourt game from Ana and Gabby. Jessi has shown the ability to do that. I think we may be able to count on Madi and Liz in that area.

I think we will have about seven or eight who can play at Big Twelve level, maybe more if Chloe, Nydia, and/or Tatum can come around.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #24
inoref
All-Conference

Nothing I would like better than to see OU women program fighting for the Big 12 title each year. That could be with the Coales or without the Coales at this point doesn't really matter to me. I sure don't want to become one of those teams that say "Team On the Rise" "Next year will be better" Far as Kim Mulkey goes she is the best basketball coach in the big 12 and its not even close right now. KM recruits basketball players..wow what a grand idea.
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #25
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
Nothing I would like better than to see OU women program fighting for the Big 12 title each year. That could be with the Coales or without the Coales at this point doesn't really matter to me. I sure don't want to become one of those teams that say "Team On the Rise" "Next year will be better" Far as Kim Mulkey goes she is the best basketball coach in the big 12 and its not even close right now. KM recruits basketball players..wow what a grand idea.
I support Sherri getting to fix the problem she has earned that right. But realistically I doubt she can be successful. Too much water under the bridge. I don't see the Sooners in my lifetime be a serious annual contender for the conference until a new coach is in place. Even then you are probably looking at 3-5 years minimum.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 03-19-2019 at 07:36 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote