ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Prospects Board

Old 10-07-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator

Default Fill in the blanks...

I am picking ____________ to win the conference this year.

I am picking OU to finish in ______ place.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
atlantasooner
All-Conference

Default Re: Fill in the blanks...

I am picking Baylor to win the big 12 (really wish Sherri will prove me wrong)

I am picking OU to finish a clear 2nd.
atlantasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
TheMont
Role Player

Baylor.
2nd.

We have beaten Baylor and can do it again this year. However, what separates Baylor is that they do not lose to clearly lesser teams (Kansas, Iowa St). I think we're a year away from making the jump to that elite level.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
BigT14
Role Player

Baylor
2nd
BigT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
Mac
Administrator

I'm picking Texas to win conference this year.
I'm picking OU tied at 3rd with West Va...
Old 10-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
sybarite
National Champion

I'm picking a dead heat with Baylor. If Vivi or EJ comes though, we will win. If not, Baylor will win. Texas, once again, will have excuses.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I'm picking Texas to win conference this year.
I'm picking OU tied at 3rd with West Va...
Mac, you and I are both giving Texas more credit than others are. I am still giving Baylor a slight nod over the Horns only because some of Texas best players are young. However, if Texas wins the conference I won't be surprised.

I'm picking OU 3rd but hope they somehow can finish higher than that.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #8
rocjunkie
Sweet 16

Baylor
OU/Texas tie for second.
rocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
womenssports
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerNorm View Post
Mac, you and I are both giving Texas more credit than others are. I am still giving Baylor a slight nod over the Horns only because some of Texas best players are young. However, if Texas wins the conference I won't be surprised.

I'm picking OU 3rd but hope they somehow can finish higher than that.
It is hard for me to pick Texas over Baylor only because the last 10 years Texas has not been good. I realize that is changing but am waiting to see them take that next step and I don't even mean beat Baylor but finish in the top 10. With that said, Norm, I agree if they win, it won't be a surprise. I do think that Texas has some seniors that should be good leaders.

I pick OU all alone in third place.

There are always so many unknowns each year about some teams. Believe Oklahoma is one of those this year. They could be really, really good or just better than last year.
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #10
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenssports View Post
It is hard for me to pick Texas over Baylor only because the last 10 years Texas has not been good. I realize that is changing but am waiting to see them take that next step and I don't even mean beat Baylor but finish in the top 10. With that said, Norm, I agree if they win, it won't be a surprise. I do think that Texas has some seniors that should be good leaders.

I pick OU all alone in third place.

There are always so many unknowns each year about some teams. Believe Oklahoma is one of those this year. They could be really, really good or just better than last year.
Yes, I think OU will be better offensively. We were good last year and I expect us to be near the top of the conference stats in offense again this year. Defense and rebounding must improve and hopefully they will with more experience coming back.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #11
womenssports
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerNorm View Post
Yes, I think OU will be better offensively. We were good last year and I expect us to be near the top of the conference stats in offense again this year. Defense and rebounding must improve and hopefully they will with more experience coming back.
I think they will be better in all areas just no clue how much better. And it would be great if we could be injury free. Posting more here lately is really getting me excited to see them play and actually see the development. Especially looking forward to seeing Vivi, Penzo and EJ, because the last two I haven't seen play and just really curious if Vivi has slimmed down, is quicker and how much she's learned. I thought she picked up on things pretty fast last year for so little previous basketball experience.
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #12
GoWarriors
Walk-on

1. Baylor
2. Texas
3. OU
Then a major drop off with everybody else. Kansas, Tech at the bottom. W. Virginia has 8 new freshman so that's asking a lot.
GoWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #13
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWarriors View Post
1. Baylor
2. Texas
3. OU
Then a major drop off with everybody else. Kansas, Tech at the bottom. W. Virginia has 8 new freshman so that's asking a lot.
Shes coming off a few knee injuries, I think Arielle Roberson will make a big impact for Mountaineers... Holmes could be a top 5 WNBA draft pick.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #14
Mac
Administrator

after watching this Baylor could be a final four team...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DttD0254Lbk
Old 10-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #15
sybarite
National Champion

Bria Holmes shot 39.9% from the field, 24.1% from three with four rebounds and over 3 turnovers per game. She reminds me of the Tubbs quote. This year, we ran and shot. Next year, we'll run and score. If any team drafts Bria at all, it will mean they don't mind someone who just throws up a lot of shots. They tend to want you to hit some of them. She was not even among the top four players of WV that concerned me.

I find it very interesting that OU finished five games ahead of Texas last year---5! 13-5 vs 9-9. OU has almost everyone back. Texas lost its best player. Yet, you think Texas will beat OU.

On what grounds?
Old 10-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #16
sybarite
National Champion

I keep seeing that Baylor has the best point guard in the Big Twelve, transferring in from Duke.

Who remembers why Duke may actually be better at guard this coming year?
Old 10-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #17
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator

Quote:
after watching this Baylor could be a final four team...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DttD0254Lbk
If their bigs play well, they will be a handful for every team they play.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #18
bluesooner17
Role Player

Well I guess I will go out on a limb.

1. Oklahoma
2. Baylor
3. Texas

I truly believe this is the year the girls come together and the sophomore jinx is passed.
bluesooner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #19
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Bria Holmes shot 39.9% from the field, 24.1% from three with four rebounds and over 3 turnovers per game. She reminds me of the Tubbs quote. This year, we ran and shot. Next year, we'll run and score. If any team drafts Bria at all, it will mean they don't mind someone who just throws up a lot of shots. They tend to want you to hit some of them. She was not even among the top four players of WV that concerned me.

I find it very interesting that OU finished five games ahead of Texas last year---5! 13-5 vs 9-9. OU has almost everyone back. Texas lost its best player. Yet, you think Texas will beat OU.

On what grounds?
Yes I'm going off the players Texas will be returning as well as the 2 MacDonald's All American guards they have coming in. Texas was off to a hot start last year until they had there share of injures, Baylor and Texas both have a lot more size then OU, I think that will come in to play this year.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #20
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Yes I'm going off the players Texas will be returning as well as the 2 MacDonald's All American guards they have coming in. Texas was off to a hot start last year until they had there share of injures, Baylor and Texas both have a lot more size then OU, I think that will come in to play this year.
So. Texas is going to replace all-american guards with all-american guards, except that these will finally be the all-american guards that will play like all-americans? I guess that now Texas will have six all-american guards to try to elevate their level of play.

They upset a rebuilding team on the road, and a rather uncertain team at home in Austin. Other than that, what did Texas do? They finished in a four-way tie for third----four games behind a team that has everyone coming back except Sharane, and I think we will replace Sharane nicely.

This Texas fascination that you and Norm have is interesting. Even now, we have yet another post about a Texas recruit.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #21
GoWarriors
Walk-on

Quote:
I keep seeing that Baylor has the best point guard in the Big Twelve, transferring in from Duke.

Who remembers why Duke may actually be better at guard this coming year?
Jones is the best passer in Women's basketball period. She makes her entire team better. That's hard to find. Plus, she can take over a game by scoring in the final period--4 periods this year. Baylor will have the best back court in the country and like what was previously said if the bigs came grow up quick they will contend for a national title. Duke will struggle again at the guard position. Freshman guards who are nice but not the level of Jones.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #22
GoWarriors
Walk-on

Quote:
So. Texas is going to replace all-american guards with all-american guards, except that these will finally be the all-american guards that will play like all-americans? I guess that now Texas will have six all-american guards to try to elevate their level of play.

They upset a rebuilding team on the road, and a rather uncertain team at home in Austin. Other than that, what did Texas do? They finished in a four-way tie for third----four games behind a team that has everyone coming back except Sharane, and I think we will replace Sharane nicely.

This Texas fascination that you and Norm have is interesting. Even now, we have yet another post about a Texas recruit.
You just made our points--they will be deep. Aireal and Brooke are going to be great players this year. They are so athletic that will be a huge difference unfortunately for OU. I'm in with Norm and Mac on realism. OU has some really nice players but not at that level. The only way Texas doesn't make it happen if is Karen doesn't loosen the leash and let her race horses play. They played too tight last season as freshmen.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #23
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWarriors View Post
You just made our points--they will be deep. Aireal and Brooke are going to be great players this year. They are so athletic that will be a huge difference unfortunately for OU. I'm in with Norm and Mac on realism. OU has some really nice players but not at that level. The only way Texas doesn't make it happen if is Karen doesn't loosen the leash and let her race horses play. They played too tight last season as freshmen.
Apparently, you don't recognize absolute sarcasm. Texas was 9-9 because that is how good they were.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #24
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenssports View Post
Believe Oklahoma is one of those this year. They could be really, really good or just better than last year.
This is quite illogical. You are suggesting OU will be either better or quite a bit better than last year. Yet will also finish worse than last year - likely much worse (2 or 3 or 4 more losses). Texas finished 9-9 last year and third. OU finished 4 games better. For OU to finish third (similar to what Texas did last year) they would need to lose a game to almost every team in the conference. In case that is confusing to some of us that means they are worse - WAY worse than last year - not better - in any way.

Another way to think about it is this. OU only lost 5 games last year. It is almost impossible to lose fewer games (and thus be called better than when they lost 5) yet finish lower than 2nd in a ten team conference with a round robin schedule. Someone go look and see how many times a team has lost 4 or fewer games and finished 3rd or worse in the conference. I seriously doubt it has ever happened.

They split with Texas and Baylor last year. It appears you expect them to lose those games. How could such a thing happen and yet they end up better - or much better than last year???? That is already 4 losses. (Think about what it would mean to lose only 3 of those 4 games - and not lose a game to anyone else.)

If OU finishes 3rd this year that means they are worse than last year. No need to hide in the sand about what some of you are saying.

Some of our posters just do not like OU. Or believe in the OU program.

Here is how I see it. Yes OU may end up 3rd this year. But I also believe they should be better than last year - and may end up 2nd or with some good fortune even 1st. If they are better they will not end up 3rd - or 4th - or last in the conference.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #25
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
This is quite illogical. You are suggesting OU will be either better or quite a bit better than last year. Yet will also finish worse than last year - likely much worse (2 or 3 or 4 more losses). Texas finished 9-9 last year and third. OU finished 4 games better. For OU to finish third (similar to what Texas did last year) they would need to lose a game to almost every team in the conference. In case that is confusing to some of us that means they are worse - WAY worse than last year - not better - in any way.

Another way to think about it is this. OU only lost 5 games last year. It is almost impossible to lose fewer games (and thus be called better than when they lost 5) yet finish lower than 2nd in a ten team conference with a round robin schedule. Someone go look and see how many times a team has lost 4 or fewer games and finished 3rd or worse in the conference. I seriously doubt it has ever happened.

They split with Texas and Baylor last year. It appears you expect them to lose those games. How could such a thing happen and yet they end up better - or much better than last year???? That is already 4 losses. (Think about what it would mean to lose only 3 of those 4 games - and not lose a game to anyone else.)

If OU finishes 3rd this year that means they are worse than last year. No need to hide in the sand about what some of you are saying.

Some of our posters just do not like OU. Or believe in the OU program.

Here is how I see it. Yes OU may end up 3rd this year. But I also believe they should be better than last year - and may end up 2nd or with some good fortune even 1st. If they are better they will not end up 3rd - or 4th - or last in the conference.
You are only considering OU. I'm saying Texas and Baylor will both be better than they were last year. As far as OU is concerned, while some players should be better offensively, I don't think we will be better defensively or on the boards as we lost Sharane. She was our best defender. Overall, I think we may be a little better than last year but still end up 3rd because we aren't the only team getting better.