ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 08-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
giraffespots
Walk-on

Default Recruiting story on ESPNW

I find this story very interesting, not necessarily in a good way, but interesting.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/art...:womenbb:index

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girl...e-allen-taylor
giraffespots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
Oliver Hardy
All-American

Default Re: Recruiting story on ESPNW

While I think it is a fine thing to fund such an effort, it also reveals the dark side power that money has in the AAU circuits.

You can succumb to it as so many coaches have, or you can spit on it to some degree the way other coaches have or want to.

What you can't do is ignore it, however. Do that and you risk your own career, and, sadly, probably success.
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
MsProudSooner
National Champion

As long as the person sponsoring the team is on the up and up and doesn't try to steer players to one particular college team, I suppose it's OK.

But, the fact that the cost of playing 'amateur' AAU basketball is so high that most kids can't afford it is troublesome.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
As long as the person sponsoring the team is on the up and up and doesn't try to steer players to one particular college team, I suppose it's OK.

But, the fact that the cost of playing 'amateur' AAU basketball is so high that most kids can't afford it is troublesome.
I’ve been told that this is one of the reasons so many kids are under the radar, and also why a lot of girls are switching to Vollyball over Basketball...
Old 08-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
OUDallas66
Walk-on

The NCAA limits women's basketball to 15 scholarships at the Division 1 level. The limit for Division 1 Volleyball is 4.5. If I was prolific in both sports, it seems a no-brainer to accept a full scholarship in WBB compared to about 30% of that to play Volleyball.

Last edited by OUDallas66; 08-12-2017 at 12:21 PM.
OUDallas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUDallas66 View Post
The NCAA limits women's basketball to 15 scholarships at the Division 1 level. The limit for Division 1 Volleyball is 4.5. If I was prolific in both sports, it seems a no-brainer to accept a full scholarship in WBB compared to about 30% of that to play Volleyball.
I think he's talking about people who choose volleyball because it costs less to play volleyball than basketball.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
I think he's talking about people who choose volleyball because it costs less to play volleyball than basketball.
Yes indeed...
Old 08-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #8
SoonerSpock
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUDallas66 View Post
Also WBB can offer only full scholarships. OU has 16 members on their Volleyball roster. Would not surprise me if 3-4 of their players were walk-ons without any scholarship aid.

Also because out-of-state athletes have to pay out-of-state tuition rates for their portion of their school cost small population states are at a major disadvantage attracting top talent from out-of-state.

There is a major difference in having to pay 70% of out-of-state tuition instead of 70% of in-state-tuition. It is a killer for kids on partial scholarships.