ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 02-09-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Default Iowa State

Looks extremely unlikely that Haliburton will play Wednesday after aggravating his wrist injury last night. Never want to see anyone hurt, but when your opponent is missing a key guy, you have to capitalize. And you absolutely can’t let up mentally. I would hope that won’t be an issue after the thumping they gave us at their place.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Default Re: Iowa State

We deserve some breaks.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
Oscar Uniform
Walk-on

Haliburton is their best player but it was Bolton who owned us all night long in Ames.
Oscar Uniform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Uniform View Post
Haliburton is their best player but it was Bolton who owned us all night long in Ames.
Bolton, Haliburton and about three other guys, if memory serves me.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #5
Hollisp
Role Player

No Halliburton here in Norman is a huge win for OU. We should roll in all honesty if he doesn’t play. Losing a 15/6 guy can’t be replaced.
Hollisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
mict085
Role Player

Iowa st is NOT a very good team. We need to beat them like a rented mule. Hopefully, we come out and play with intensity and focus from the start.
mict085 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #7
AdaSooner
Administrator

If any of our players read this thread, I hope they don’t buy into the idea that this will be an easy game if Halliburton is not able to play.

Teams have away of making up for the loss of a good player. We have seen it too many times over the years to think ISU will not show up ready to play. If Halliburton does play, his presence on the floor will be similar to BG’s miraculous recovery from knee surgery when he unexpectedly stepped onto the floor to lead OU to a win over Baylor in Waco his sophomore season. Or was that his freshman season?.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #8
Hollisp
Role Player

Yes I lost my mind when he came on
Hollisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #9
NAIA All-Star
All-Conference

"Iowa State's Tyrese Haliburton will miss the remainder of the 19-20 season due to a wrist injury, per release."

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...14220429709318
NAIA All-Star is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #10
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
If any of our players read this thread, I hope they don’t buy into the idea that this will be an easy game if Halliburton is not able to play.

Teams have away of making up for the loss of a good player. We have seen it too many times over the years to think ISU will not show up ready to play.
Amen to this--and not just in basketball. Anyone old enough to recall OU's loss to Arkansas in the 1978 Orange Bowl knows not to get overly excited at news of an opposing player being out of action.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #11
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Not a “must win”. But would be nice to get a little breathing room
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #12
stormspencer
Sweet 16

The most important key for OU in this game will be guarding the 3. If ISU's threes are contested and they shoot a low %, then I really don't believe they can stay in the game. Rebounding their long misses becomes important as well.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #13
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Amen to this--and not just in basketball. Anyone old enough to recall OU's loss to Arkansas in the 1978 Orange Bowl knows not to get overly excited at news of an opposing player being out of action.
We should have run rough shod over them, for a national title I think, and we got our ass kicked. We must have thought the game was in the bag.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #14
Sooner Season
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
Not a “must win”. But would be nice to get a little breathing room
Hey Boulder, you really think this isn't "must win"? It looks to me like we need to beat ISU and Texas at home and TCU and OSU on the road to finish .500 in the conference and make us comfortable on selection Sunday. I guess Tech here is a possibility but I don't count on beating any of the top 4 from here on out. Do you?
Sooner Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #15
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
"Iowa State's Tyrese Haliburton will miss the remainder of the 19-20 season due to a wrist injury, per release."

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...14220429709318
That sucks. Great player, likely top 5 pick. Hope this is just a temporary setback for him.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #16
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Season View Post
Hey Boulder, you really think this isn't "must win"? It looks to me like we need to beat ISU and Texas at home and TCU and OSU on the road to finish .500 in the conference and make us comfortable on selection Sunday. I guess Tech here is a possibility but I don't count on beating any of the top 4 from here on out. Do you?
Couldve beat Baylor and Tech on the road. Baylor more so than Tech.

So I think winning those at home is a real possibility.

.500 in the conference is in no matter what.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #17
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

Quote:
exactly....to me this is a must win...rough 5 game stretch here and isu at home needed to be a win in my book.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #18
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
it is an important win for sure as this and those are the best chances to win 4 more games

but OU has a good shot vs tech and baylor at home

and 8-10 in conf and 1 win in KC likely gets ou in the Dance anyway
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:09 AM   #19
Sooner Season
Walk-on

I like you guys optimism about Tech and especially Baylor. I hope you are right but I think the Baylor debacle last year in LNC is still fresh in my mind. Yukkkkkk!!!!!!!
Sooner Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #20
MJSooner
Walk-on

It may not be a "must-win" but maybe as close to it as you can get. Maybe not from a ranking but at least from perception. Losing at home to an underdog, sub-.500 team without their best player doesn't look good.

Fortunately, right now we have no Q3 losses and only one Q2 loss, which puts us at 12-1 vs. Q2, Q3, & Q4. We need to avoid those Q2 losses if it comes to ranking against other bubble teams. It would also be nice to get another couple of Q1 wins, which we will have 4 maybe 5 chances to do.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #21
AdaSooner
Administrator

This game may not be a must win, but it would definitely be a bad loss. I don’t see how losing to a 10-13 (3-7 in conference) bottom dwelling team with their best player out for the season could be anything but, BAD!

We have to take advantage of games we should win to offset a game like KU in Lawrence where we have never had much success in coming out on top.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #22
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
This game may not be a must win, but it would definitely be a bad loss. I don’t see how losing to a 10-13 (3-7 in conference) bottom dwelling team with their best player out for the season could be anything but, BAD!

We have to take advantage of games we should win to offset a game like KU in Lawrence where we have never had much success in coming out on top.
Especially with him just now being out. They haven't had much time to adjust to new roles.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #23
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Especially with him just now being out. They haven't had much time to adjust to new roles.
Exactly! I forgot to add, on our own floor.

Everything about this game says it’s a must win to me. Of all of the regular season games left on our schedule, it’s our best chance to add one more to the win column. We don’t have the luxury of adding a game like this to the loss column.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #24
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Exactly! I forgot to add, on our own floor.

Everything about this game is a must win to me. Of all of the regular season games left on our schedule, it’s our best chance to add one more to the win column.
I don't think it's a must win to get into the tournament, but it's a must win as far as probably the easiest game left.

Still got to show up and play well though after the a** kicking they gave OU earlier.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #25
Max Power
Elite Eight

ISU is 68 in the current net which makes this a quad 2 game. However, they just lost their best player for the year. It is probable that they fall below 75 when its all said and done. As such this is pretty much a must win.

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote