ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 02-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #51
daqman
Role Player

Default Re: 2020/2021 Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Calixte/Reynolds made the team better, considering how pitiful Mcgusty & to a lesser extent Shepherd's attitudes were.
Of course they made the team better. Without them Lon would have had to play Lazenby and Geha.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #52
sanguinetti
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
moves that helped OU make the dance
and win the 8/9 game as a slight underdog.....in impressive fashion......that got OU some nice "Gravy on Top" publicity first weekend of the Dance.....lose to eventual champion. though, never really in the game and UVA was a full double-digits better.....there's something respectable about losing to the champ.

those guys (grad transfers) did plateau a bit as the season went on. it all counts. as my granddad used to say about golf: "it's not how, but how many".
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #53
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
Of course they made the team better. Without them Lon would have had to play Lazenby and Geha.
Yeah, that is a really bad take I've read a couple of times recently. Calixte and Reynolds contributed b/c they were all we had. Sad it came to that really.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #54
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Yeah, that is a really bad take I've read a couple of times recently. Calixte and Reynolds contributed b/c they were all we had. Sad it came to that really.
They contributed because they helped us win games that got OU into the Dance. It's sad that MgGusty & Shepherd transferred because they couldn't buy into their role.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:57 PM   #55
NYC-Fool
Walk-on

And yet another thread is derailed by negativity.
NYC-Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #56
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-Fool View Post
And yet another thread is derailed by negativity.
Dude its a message board.. id rather have debate (even if annoying/monotonous at times. Ie. Abd and his juco boner ) than an uninteresting circle jerk of how great everyone/everything is
Old 02-07-2020, 01:43 PM   #57
Abe
Walk-on

Ok, for next year we have 4 seniors, 2 juniors, 3 sophomores and 3 freshman. Getting the best player available from JC or a freshman balances the roster. Either way is a win-win. I see a lot of guessing but is there a consensus on who may get?
Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #58
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe View Post
Ok, for next year we have 4 seniors, 2 juniors, 3 sophomores and 3 freshman. Getting the best player available from JC or a freshman balances the roster. Either way is a win-win. I see a lot of guessing but is there a consensus on who may get?
Manny O
Colbert

Both 5 stars.

Bijan committed already
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #59
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Manny O
Colbert

Both 5 stars.

Bijan committed already
I think he's talking about 2020.

My guess is best transfer (grad or regular). They just missed on the only freshman target that I've read about.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #60
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Dude its a message board.. id rather have debate (even if annoying/monotonous at times. Ie. Abd and his juco boner ) than an uninteresting circle jerk of how great everyone/everything is
Speaking of juco boners... Anyone see Mason Jones score 40 against Auburn the other night? He averages 21 points, 6 rebounds, and 3.5 assists per game on the season.

His last 5 games are:

40 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds against #11 Auburn
30 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist against Alabama
34 points, 12 rebounds, and 4 assists against South Carolina
20 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists against TCU
20 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists against Mississippi State

About 40% from 3 during this stretch.

Junior college transfer from Oklahoma. No Okahoma offer or interest. He was 2 hours away by car.

At that point in recruiting history Oklahoma had flown 5,000 miles to Finland for Hannes Polla... 7,600 miles to New Zealand for Matt Freeman... 1800 miles to Maine for Aaron Calixte... and 1,400 miles to California for Miles Reynolds.

But they didn't offer Mason Jones who was 135 miles away and had 3 years to play.

Defend it.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:08 PM   #61
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Speaking of juco boners... Anyone see Mason Jones score 40 against Auburn the other night? He averages 21 points, 6 rebounds, and 3.5 assists per game on the season.

His last 5 games are:

Junior college transfer from Oklahoma. No Okahoma offer or interest. He was 2 hours away by car.

At that point in recruiting history Oklahoma had flown 5,000 miles to Finland for Hannes Polla... 7,600 miles to New Zealand for Matt Freeman... 1800 miles to Maine for Aaron Calixte... and 1,400 miles to California for Miles Reynolds.

But they didn't offer Mason Jones who was 135 miles away and had 3 years to play.

Defend it.
OU only had 1 senior on the roster and already had Bienemy committed. He wasn't the best player on his Juco & that kid was a bench player for Louisiana Tech. JUCO is a crapshoot nowadays.

That was easy.

Last edited by BCSooners; 02-07-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:13 PM   #62
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:

His last 5 games are:

Defend it.
Some people surprise? You cant sign everyone? You dont know that he would have even been interested in ou if they full court pressed him? You dont know that ou DIDN'T try?

Last edited by hoopsaustin; 02-07-2020 at 02:16 PM.
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #63
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Some people surprise?
Not if you scouted properly.

Quote:
You cant sign everyone?
But shouldn't you sign guys capable of averaging 21 per game who are in your backyard over guys who aren't good from very far away?

Quote:
You dont know that he would have even been interested in ou if they full court pressed him?
I know he won't be interested if you don't acknowledge his existence. It's kinda like dating... Do I know for a fact the hottest girl at the bar won't go home with me? Well, I know she won't if I don't approach her. And I won't get the hottest girl if I go all the way to the end of the bar at 1:50am and take home the Finnish girl who looks like a lumberjack.

Quote:
He wasn't the best player on his Juco & that kid was a bench player for Louisiana Tech.
Clearly he was.

Quote:
JUCO is a crapshoot nowadays.
No it isn't.

Quote:
That was easy.
No it wasn't.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #64
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:

But shouldn't you sign guys capable of averaging 21 per game who are in your backyard over guys who aren't good from very far away?

I know he won't be interested if you don't acknowledge his existence. It's kinda like dating... Do I know for a fact the hottest girl at the bar won't go home with me? Well, I know she won't if I don't approach her. And I won't get the hottest girl if I go all the way to the end of the bar at 1:50am and take home the Finnish girl who looks like a lumberjack.

Clearly he was.

No it isn't.

No it wasn't.
Yes
Old 02-07-2020, 03:40 PM   #65
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Yes
Ok, yea that is probably true.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:40 PM   #66
skyvue
Final Four

According to Rivals, he received just two offers: Arkansas and Central Arkansas (and he didn't even visit Central Arkansas). If he chose Arkansas for lack of other choices, then 200+ other schools also missed the boat on him.

He committed to the Hogs in early April of his freshman year, which suggests that he may have been a lock to them from the jump. Interviews from that time make it clear he was VERY high on Anderson, which further suggests that he had his mind made up very early, especially when combined with the fact that he received just two offers. Either he made it clear early on that he was Arkansas-bound or Anderson saw something in him that no one else saw, in which case you've just got to tip your hat.

But what a treat it is to see you on another 2020-hindsight juco jag. It's been a good six or seven weeks since the last one.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:44 PM   #67
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
If he chose Arkansas for lack of other choices, then 200+ other schools also missed the boat on him.
But he wasn't playing in 49 other states. He was playing in Oklahoma.

Quote:
But what a treat it is to see you on another 2020-hindsight juco jag. It's been a good six or seven weeks since the last one.
I thought we were going to reset our feud? That lasted one day.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #68
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
I thought we were going to reset our feud? That lasted one day.
Well, it took you just one day to start ragging on the juco tip again.

Again, Jones had just two offers. He jumped on the more attractive one of the two early on, while raving about the coach at that school. You repeatedly insist that OU didn't even reach out to the guy when you can't possibly know that. The evidence I presented suggests (though admittedly does not confirm) that Jones was the Hogs' to sign from the jump.

The distance question is a fallacy. There are plenty of quality programs within driving distance of CSJC; OU and oswho are roughly equidistant from Warner, OK, and Tulsa's nearly an hour closer than either of them, but there's no indication that either oswho or Tulsa reached out to him. As for schools from further away, no top 100 program is limited by distance nowadays.

So the fact that Jones received just two offers (only one that was at OU's level) and committed in early April shows that either he experienced the athletic equivalent of love at first sight, leading Jones to take himself off the board, or that every other single D1 program (save Central Arkansas) failed to see what Anderson saw, in which case all credit to him.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:45 PM   #69
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:

Clearly he was.

No it isn't.

No it wasn't.
1) he averaged 15 in JUCO, whod have guessed hed average 21 in P5 D1?

2) not at the time.

3) yes it is

4) yes it was

You still didnt consider OU only had 1 scholarship to give that year.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #70
usedtobe1
Administrator

thebidad, who is the Oklahoma juco kid OU should be recruiting this year instead of HS kids off of Team Griffin? ...... Coaches dont really recruit kids from their HS play anymore, they recruit mainly from their AAU teams during the summer.... going to tournaments like the Peach Jam in Atlanta.... or nationals. Many of those top AAU teams would trounce most juco teams.

Im just looking ahead instead of backwards with the advantage of hindsight. For the 3 OU assistants to scout a juco player, they depend of someone they trust giving them a tip about a player. Im kind of curious how OU heard about Alondes Williams playing for a Division 2 juco program near Chicago.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #71
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
thebidad, who is the Oklahoma juco kid OU should be recruiting this year instead of HS kids off of Team Griffin? ...... Coaches dont really recruit kids from their HS play anymore, they recruit mainly from their AAU teams during the summer.... going to tournaments like the Peach Jam in Atlanta.... or nationals. Many of those top AAU teams would trounce most juco teams.
Some of those AAU teams would trounce P5 schools.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #72
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
thebidad, who is the Oklahoma juco kid OU should be recruiting this year instead of HS kids off of Team Griffin? ...... Coaches don’t really recruit kids from their HS play anymore, they recruit mainly from their AAU teams during the summer.... going to tournaments like the Peach Jam in Atlanta.... or nationals. Many of those top AAU teams would trounce most juco teams.

I’m just looking ahead instead of backwards with the advantage of hindsight. For the 3 OU assistants to scout a juco player, they depend of someone they trust giving them a “tip” about a player. I’m kind of curious how OU heard about Alondes Williams playing for a Division 2 juco program near Chicago.
He already tried this experiment and went 0-4 (unless you consider a bench player on Baylor an impact player).
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:38 AM   #73
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
He already tried this experiment and went 0-4 (unless you consider a bench player on Baylor an impact player).
Id say 1/4, Bandoo can play but Baylor is #1. But yes I would only try a JUCO every 2-3 years. Transfers are the new JUCO & has been for 6-8 years.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #74
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Yup. Checkmate. We should still look at jucos but that's where lazenbys come from these days
Old 02-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #75
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
I’d say 1/4, Bandoo can play but Baylor is #1. But yes I would only try a JUCO every 2-3 years. Transfers are the new JUCO & has been for 6-8 years.
You do what confidently makes the team a better unit and not limit yourselves to the viable alternatives that are present. Placing a time frame and conditions on things does not affect the individual abilities found within the "recruitment well."
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote