ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 02-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #26
AdaSooner
Administrator

Default Re: Iowa State

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
I don't think it's a must win to get into the tournament, but it's a must win as far as probably the easiest game left.

Still got to show up and play well though after the a** kicking they gave OU earlier.
Agreed. But one would think the arse kicking they gave us in Ames would be an added incentive, as well as a warning about what could happen if we donít come ready to play.

I feel good about this game. Hope my gut is right!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #27
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Agreed. But one would think the arse kicking they gave us in Ames would be an added incentive, as well as a warning about what could happen if we donít come ready to play.

I feel good about this game. Hope my gut is right!
Agreed.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #28
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
ISU is 68 in the current net which makes this a quad 2 game. However, they just lost their best player for the year. It is probable that they fall below 75 when its all said and done. As such this is pretty much a must win.
this is a really good point ... OU does not want a Q3 loss ..

although if OU loses to isu it would help them stay above 75 .. lol
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:11 PM   #29
sanguinetti
Role Player

if we don't beat ISU in Norman we don't deserve to be in the NCAA.

seriously.
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #30
Sooner04
All-Conference

I don't care what the stuffed shirts on the Committee say....losing to Iowa State in Norman would be a BAD loss.

Our worst of the season by a LARGE margin.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #31
MJSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
this is a really good point ... OU does not want a Q3 loss ..

although if OU loses to isu it would help them stay above 75 .. lol
Statistically, the K State loss is worse or would be equal to if we lost to ISU. But agreed, perception wise, this would be a worse loss.

I'm pretty sure the Quadrant system ranking for a team stays what it is when you played the team. Yes, Iowa State will most likely drop below 75 as the season progresses, but it would remain a Q2 loss if we lose, as they are currently 68.

If the ranking changed to current status, we wouldn't be receiving credit for a Q1 win at Texas.

Either way, it is a game we NEED to win.

Last edited by MJSooner; 02-11-2020 at 02:36 PM.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #32
Hollisp
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinetti View Post
if we don't beat ISU in Norman we don't deserve to be in the NCAA.

seriously.
This is hyperbolic right?!?

If we follow this logic Duke and Kentucky shouldnít make it in as well.
Hollisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #33
opsooner
Final Four

Make the team watch the first game 10 times. If we lose we will probably feel like that idiot who was married to Pamela Anderson for 12 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
opsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #34
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSooner View Post
Statistically, the K State loss is worse or would be equal to if we lost to ISU. But agreed, perception wise, this would be a worse loss.

I'm pretty sure the Quadrant system ranking for a team stays what it is when you played the team. Yes, Iowa State will most likely drop below 75 as the season progresses, but it would remain a Q2 loss if we lose, as they are currently 68.

If the ranking changed to current status, we wouldn't be receiving credit for a Q1 win at Texas.

Either way, it is a game we NEED to win.
I think it actually does change. In other words, on Selection Sunday, all wins/losses will be characterized based on where the opponent is on Selection Sunday. That's why we want the bottom feeders in the league to end up in the top 75.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #35
MJSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I think it actually does change. In other words, on Selection Sunday, all wins/losses will be characterized based on where the opponent is on Selection Sunday. That's why we want the bottom feeders in the league to end up in the top 75.
Wichita, you might be right. Didn't realize a #67 ranked Texas road win would be a Q1, but it is.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #36
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Wichita, you might be right. Didn't realize a #67 ranked Texas road win would be a Q1, but it is.
Yep, thatís why road wins are so valuable. Top 75 counts as Q1 if it is on the road. As a result, WSU has one Q1 win and it is their win at Stillwater, while their home win over OU doesnít make the cut! I think it is good to give teams more credit for road wins but I wonder whether they will tweak the formula a bit as time passes.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #37
steverocks35
All-American

Quote:
Yep, thatís why road wins are so valuable. Top 75 counts as Q1 if it is on the road. As a result, WSU has one Q1 win and it is their win at Stillwater, while their home win over OU doesnít make the cut! I think it is good to give teams more credit for road wins but I wonder whether they will tweak the formula a bit as time passes.
Wasn't that win over OU technically at a neutral site? Or is there an exception for games in your home city?
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:03 PM   #38
MJSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Great point. It needs tweaking for sure.

As it stands at this moment, before the OSU KSU game tonight, based on CURRENT Quadrant rankings, if OU were to win in Stillwater against a 11-12/1-8 OSU team, it holds the same "value" as beating a then #12 ranked WVa, 18-5/6-3 team at home.

That is not right and everyone knows that is not equal.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:03 PM   #39
steverocks35
All-American

Quote:

As it stands at this moment, before the OSU KSU game tonight, based on CURRENT Quadrant rankings, if OU were to win in Stillwater against a 11-12/1-8 OSU team, it holds the same "value" as beating a then #12 ranked WVa, 18-5/6-3 team at home.

Wow that's a really dumb system lol
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:27 PM   #40
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
And this is what happens when everything is quantified when there are so many variables at play which are not reflected in the end game.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:28 AM   #41
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:

That is only part of the evaluation. They also factor in top 25 wins/losses and MOV.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #42
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
There is much more to it than that. This is just part of what they use to consider bad losses and amount of games played against certain competition.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #43
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

Game preview from Eric Bailey link. Excerpt...

Quote:
Maintaining momentum will be important for Oklahoma on Wednesday.

Following the 8 p.m. home game against Iowa State, the Sooners have a rough five-game stretch that includes four matchups with ranked opponents and a visit to rival Oklahoma State.

“It’s going to be tough. It’s going to be a lot of hard work. It’s also going to be a lot of fun,” OU guard De’Vion Harmon said.

The Sooners (15-8, 5-5 Big 12) will be favored against an Iowa State team without star point guard Tyrese Haliburton, who suffered a season-ending injury against Kansas State last weekend.

February’s finish to the schedule can be compared to a murderer’s row. Following Iowa State, the Sooners will play at No. 3 Kansas, host No. 1 Baylor, travel to Oklahoma State, face No. 24 Texas Tech at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City and visit No. 14 West Virginia.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #44
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:

osu beat houston who is almost a lock tourney team ..

they (despite being a "bad" big 12 team) are better than most of the teams in the other confs
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #45
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
osu beat houston who is almost a lock tourney team ..

they (despite being a "bad" big 12 team) are better than most of the teams in the other confs
They were playing great prior to Likkele Mono outbreak. Still a tough out at times.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote