ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Campus Corner

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #26
bocabull
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,849
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

#1 Please post with respect and civility at all times. Personal attacks, name-calling directed at other posters, coaches and players will not be tolerated.

Last edited by Sooner Quick; 01-04-2010 at 12:01 AM.
bocabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #27
Seymore Cox
National Champion
 
Seymore Cox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,443
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Pledger is ten times the shooter of Cade now. Doesn't help if he cant create his own shot or defend. Pledger could average 20pts a game right now if he played 40 minutes and hung around the line waiting for an open shot. But that's not what this game is about. Shooting hasn't been our downfall this year. Cade's shooting percentage hasn't been a downfall. Say he shoots 40%. Which is a good percentage for a guy that shoot primarily three pt shots. We're still losing by 15pts a game. To think shooting equates out to being a better player is such a narrow arguement. This game is more than stats. That's our problem now. Our players dont understand that. For instance, Cade impacts a game positively alot more than guys who can shoot very well because he can play a little defense, hustles, and can rebound. If WW is not scoring, he is a huge negative to this team. If pledger isn't scoring atleast 15pts he's a huge negative.
__________________
:hardrick
Seymore Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #28
SoonerfanTU
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,517
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM View Post
Pledger is ten times the shooter of Cade now. Doesn't help if he cant create his own shot or defend. Pledger could average 20pts a game right now if he played 40 minutes and hung around the line waiting for an open shot. But that's not what this game is about. Shooting hasn't been our downfall this year. Cade's shooting percentage hasn't been a downfall. Say he shoots 40%. Which is a good percentage for a guy that shoot primarily three pt shots. We're still losing by 15pts a game. To think shooting equates out to being a better player is such a narrow arguement. This game is more than stats. That's our problem now. Our players dont understand that. For instance, Cade impacts a game positively alot more than guys who can shoot very well because he can play a little defense, hustles, and can rebound. If WW is not scoring, he is a huge negative to this team. If pledger isn't scoring atleast 15pts he's a huge negative.
You can't say that if Cade shoots it better, ALL it does is add those points to our team's total. Shooting is contagious. If Davis misses two threes in consecutive possessions, and the other teams scores twice, that is momentum. No stat can measure that.

And I disagree that Pledger can't create his own shot. He may not create it like WW does, but Pledger can elevate and shoot over a defender. That is something even Warren can't do. I see enough in Pledger to think that he'll develop into a Hollis type (not level, but type) player before he leaves. I see alot of the same "game" in them, only, Pledger is bigger, and a big slower.

And nobody said we need Pledger to be WW or TMG, or Blake. We need Pledger to play the role that Neal played. Or that Heskett played. Or that Ere played. None of those guys were options 1 or 2. They were solid players that scored when they needed to.
SoonerfanTU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #29
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,890
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabull View Post
LOL @ this. Cade Davis would not be on over half of the other Big XII rosters and would be starting for none. He is the hometown guy who got offered because Capel was not able to land any real D-1 recruits other than Blake due to the probation and OU coming off the first non post season in forever.

The void of talent in the junior and senior classes is why this team is struggling. Hopefully Capel will just let the young guys play and learn their way instead of continuing to stick an inferior talent like Cade Davis on the court to get owned by his man every game.
I agree about Cade... He would not start at any other Big 12 school. I don't know why DM thinks Cade is so talented, because he obviously isnt. He is just a role player that should be the 8th guy off the bench on a good team.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #30
bocabull
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,849
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Hey guys, quick question, if Cade is such a great defender how come we are supposedly so poor on defense? If Cade is the great lock down defender he has been exaggerated to be why isn't he going man on the opposing teams best scorer and shutting him down?

We all know why ... because he is not some great defender. He is just a junior who anticipates a little better for some cheap steals. He is shutting nobody down.
bocabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #31
sheepdogs
Role Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 572
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabull View Post
Hey guys, quick question, if Cade is such a great defender how come we are supposedly so poor on defense? If Cade is the great lock down defender he has been exaggerated to be why isn't he going man on the opposing teams best scorer and shutting him down?
We all know why ... because he is not some great defender. He is just a junior who anticipates a little better for some cheap steals. He is shutting nobody down.
Some of it is probably a function of straw grasping as there are numerous posts in this forum where fantasy and reality become intertwined
sheepdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #32
Seymore Cox
National Champion
 
Seymore Cox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,443
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerfanTU View Post
You can't say that if Cade shoots it better, ALL it does is add those points to our team's total. Shooting is contagious. If Davis misses two threes in consecutive possessions, and the other teams scores twice, that is momentum. No stat can measure that.

And I disagree that Pledger can't create his own shot. He may not create it like WW does, but Pledger can elevate and shoot over a defender. That is something even Warren can't do. I see enough in Pledger to think that he'll develop into a Hollis type (not level, but type) player before he leaves. I see alot of the same "game" in them, only, Pledger is bigger, and a big slower.

And nobody said we need Pledger to be WW or TMG, or Blake. We need Pledger to play the role that Neal played. Or that Heskett played. Or that Ere played. None of those guys were options 1 or 2. They were solid players that scored when they needed to.
Shooting hasn't been contagious yet. We've had all five of our guards be hot from the perimeter at times this year and it's never been a trio or dual effort. So why do you think Cade Davis's shooting is going to help WW or Pledger who is the better shooter, shoot better.

I haven't saw Steve elevate over anybody in the last 3 games and rarely all year. He's been knocking down open shots that most times someone else has created. I've saw plenty of guys elevate over him however.


Quote:
I agree about Cade... He would not start at any other Big 12 school. I don't know why DM thinks Cade is so talented, because he obviously isnt. He is just a role player that should be the 8th guy off the bench on a good team.
First off, all you do is look at a statline to determine who you think is better. As far as Cade starting for anyone else, who knows? We don't know each coaches system. If you ask me, he could probably start at Tech. Definetely start at OSU. David Godbold was a starter for a NCAA 32 teams at OU, Cade can't be better than him? There's a reason Cade is starting over a lights out shooter and a 6'6 guy with a 6'10 wingspan.

Quote:
Hey guys, quick question, if Cade is such a great defender how come we are supposedly so poor on defense? If Cade is the great lock down defender he has been exaggerated to be why isn't he going man on the opposing teams best scorer and shutting him down?

We all know why ... because he is not some great defender. He is just a junior who anticipates a little better for some cheap steals. He is shutting nobody down.
He's an average defender. Which is why you should feel really bad if you Steve or Ray. But this notion of other guys being more skilled or gifted is laughable and borderline racist. Cade has proven he's one of the fastest, strongest, and physically complete players on the team. To act as if these other guys have something better going for them than he does is a joke. If you einsteins want to break down his game, start with his lack of dribbling ability or his first step and not his statline.
__________________
:hardrick
Seymore Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #33
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,737
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

If some of our other players had half the heart that Cade Davis had, we wouldn't be nearly has unhappy with this team as we are now. He gives 110% every game. Some other players could watch him and learn a few things.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #34
SoonerfanTU
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,517
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM View Post
Cade has proven he's one of the fastest, strongest, and physically complete players on the team. To act as if these other guys have something better going for them than he does is a joke. If you einsteins want to break down his game, start with his lack of dribbling ability or his first step and not his statline.
And I've said it before, just b/c the guy can test well off the court, doesn't mean those skills translate well on the basketball court.

I don't care if Cade can outrun WW in the mile. On the court, where it counts, WW is twice as quick/fast, especially with the ball. That is what matters. Fine, Cade can dunk. Big deal. A wideopen layup, and a wideopen dunk are both worth two points. Unreal what some people will try to spin. Cade isn't very good, very often, on the court. He plays hard. He gets the most out of his skill leve most of the time. But like bigabd said, he should be the 8th or 9th player on a good team. Instead he is starting.
SoonerfanTU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #35
Seymore Cox
National Champion
 
Seymore Cox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,443
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerfanTU View Post
And I've said it before, just b/c the guy can test well off the court, doesn't mean those skills translate well on the basketball court.

I don't care if Cade can outrun WW in the mile. On the court, where it counts, WW is twice as quick/fast, especially with the ball. That is what matters. Fine, Cade can dunk. Big deal. A wideopen layup, and a wideopen dunk are both worth two points. Unreal what some people will try to spin. Cade isn't very good, very often, on the court. He plays hard. He gets the most out of his skill leve most of the time. But like bigabd said, he should be the 8th or 9th player on a good team. Instead he is starting.
So you compare him to WW to make your point. Compare him to steve pledger. Compare him to RAy willis. Those are the guys he's beating out for minutes. I've read a post that says bring WW off the bench. If we do that, do you think Pledger and Willis are going to perform better? We keep grasping for straws to say why this team isn't working and you guys are cracking me up pointing to individuals. That's what the players are doing. pointing fingers. This team isn't working because it isn't a team. No one talkes out there, no one sacrifices for their teammate defensively or offensively. No one puts their body on the line for the team consistently. WE continue to post about the "attitude" of players and how this team is poor, and the conduct is poor, but we turn around and advocate for the poor actors and shoot down the ones who get the picture.

pathetic.
__________________
:hardrick
Seymore Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #36
HoHum
Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,095
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM View Post
If you ask me, he could probably start at Tech. Definetely start at OSU. David Godbold was a starter for a NCAA 32 teams at OU, Cade can't be better than him?
I don't think he'd start at OSU. He can't play point guard. And Page would start over him for sure at the 2.
HoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #37
BigTime
The Red Wig
 
BigTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Downtown trying to get homeless to the LNC
Posts: 11,566
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Cade is not the reason that this team is 8-5. As mentioned above, he is having to play way too minutes for a guy of his calibar at a school like Oklahoma.

What has disappointed me about him has been the fact that he doesn't play as hard on defense when his shots aren't falling. He showed that last night and against UTEP. He should be the type of player that plays harder when he is not making shots.
__________________
--------------------------------------------


SLAAAAAAAAAAAAM!
-BBS
BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #38
sooner333
Role Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman
Posts: 644
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

I don't focus on Cade Davis most games on defense, but the one game I did, he shut down Rotnei Clark pretty well. I don't think Cade is the problem on this team. He's overrated as a shooter, sure, but he's not a bad player.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #39
Seymore Cox
National Champion
 
Seymore Cox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,443
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoHum View Post
I don't think he'd start at OSU. He can't play point guard. And Page would start over him for sure at the 2.
Ford rotates that Page position with Gulley for defensive purposes. He wants Page out there to keep teams from cheating defensively, but he has to adjust when teams iso page on the other end. I think Davis would rotate will with that position. It doesn't matter though, OSU seems to have their act together. They seem to understand the concept of playing together. I think Cade understands that concept, Crocker understood it, but seemed to be disgruntle lately.
__________________
:hardrick
Seymore Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #40
Cheno
Resident Hawk
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,023
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
If some of our other players had half the heart that Cade Davis had, we wouldn't be nearly has unhappy with this team as we are now. He gives 110% every game. Some other players could watch him and learn a few things.
I totally agree. As I said, Cade isn't the reason this team is struggling. The fact he has to start is the problem. He's starting because other guys haven't stepped up. Cade should be a 2nd perimeter player off the bench type of guy on a good team. He's a starter on a below average Big 12 team.
His heart and desire is great. He's a glue guy.
Cheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #41
Seymore Cox
National Champion
 
Seymore Cox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,443
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheno View Post
I totally agree. As I said, Cade isn't the reason this team is struggling. The fact he has to start is the problem. He's starting because other guys haven't stepped up. Cade should be a 2nd perimeter player off the bench type of guy on a good team. He's a starter on a below average Big 12 team.
His heart and desire is great. He's a glue guy.
I'm of a different philosphy. I think there's room for a glue guy on every team. I believe glue guys can start. You're telling me AJ and Quannas aren't glue guys. They were just glue guys that played the pg. No one can tell me that David Godbold can't get into alot of programs across this country and work his way into a starting position. Morningstar and Reed at KU have been starters and would be starter at other places. Zaire Taylor's a glue guy. He's similar to Cade except a better defender. No one is saying he shouldn't start. Derek Roland, the list goes on. No one questions those guys starting ability.

It's funny around here because we question the guy that shows the effort of busting it. Someone mentioned that Cade showed a lack of interest defensively when he wasn't scoring over the last few games. Well that's been alot of his teammates throughout the year. That's what's contagious. Not the shooting, the poor attitude. But we continue to pour on this guy and celebrate a guy who shatters a backboard, but misses practice and walks off the court?
__________________
:hardrick
Seymore Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #42
sdcloud9
Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Cade Davis = Worst Shooter on the team.

Cade should about #7 or #8 on a Big 12 roster.

I like what he brings to the table as a defender/glue guy but offensively, his temperment is that of a 20 pt scorer and he is not that type of offensive player.

He jacks up way too many shots early in possessions for my taste.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #43
bocabull
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,849
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM View Post
But this notion of other guys being more skilled or gifted is laughable and borderline racist. Cade has proven he's one of the fastest, strongest, and physically complete players on the team. To act as if these other guys have something better going for them than he does is a joke.
Racist? Where does that come from. The dude has shot under 40% every season and is sitting at 33% now. When has he proven all this greatness you speak of? All he has proven in 3 years is that he can't shoot and by the end of every year he is riding the pine where he belongs. This year will be no different.
bocabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #44
SoomerBooner
Walk-on
 
SoomerBooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 36
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Cade is not a D1 basketball player. He's a good athlete, but he is not a gamer ok the offensive end. He gets more open looks then anyone else, but he can't hit them. If he is starting that means that our team is really bad.
SoomerBooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #45
campbest
Final Four
 
campbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dallafornia
Posts: 6,500
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoomerBooner View Post
Cade is not a D1 basketball player.
Definitely a D1 player, maybe not a starter for a BCS conference team, but a worthy talent of some playing time.

As mentioned earlier, the problem with this team is that Cade HAS to start, not his ability. IMO, it's a combination of players with more talent not taking control of the situation and Capel not plugging in the correct pieces through recruiting.

This team's struggles have nothing to do with Cade Davis.
campbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #46
Seymore Cox
National Champion
 
Seymore Cox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,443
Default Re: Cade Davis is shooting 33.7% from the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabull View Post
Racist? Where does that come from. The dude has shot under 40% every season and is sitting at 33% now. When has he proven all this greatness you speak of? All he has proven in 3 years is that he can't shoot and by the end of every year he is riding the pine where he belongs. This year will be no different.
To lllustrate Cade davis as our problem when we've got guys skipping practice, guys not giving effort to take his pt, and a bunch of me first guys who are uninterested when the ball isnt coming their way is ridiculous.
__________________
:hardrick
Seymore Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #47
SoonerMatt27
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 148
Default Re: Cade Davis = Worst Shooter on the team.

I am shocked by how quickly fans changes there mind on a player. He scores 25 and wins us the game, he's a great player, shuts down a guy averaging 20+ he's a great player. a few games later, he's not D1 caliber.
SoonerMatt27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #48
Sooner Quick
Sweet 16
 
Sooner Quick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tulsa to Norman to Tulsa
Posts: 1,734
Default Re: Cade Davis = Worst Shooter on the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerMatt27 View Post
I am shocked by how quickly fans changes there mind on a player. He scores 25 and wins us the game, he's a great player, shuts down a guy averaging 20+ he's a great player. a few games later, he's not D1 caliber.
This!
Lets throw a true Sooner under the bus who wants to be here and gives 110% when most of the team is barely giving 50%! Ya that's what I'd do. Watching Willie sit back in the zone and not even run out on guys shooting jumpers is more of a concern than anything Cade has done.

Cade there are guys who appreciate what you are doing here, don't let the few get you down! :cade

Last edited by Sooner Quick; 01-01-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Sooner Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #49
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,367
Default Re: Cade Davis = Worst Shooter on the team.

I find it interesting that there is general agreement on the tenet that defense wins championships. Yet, these same people want Cade Davis, who puts out a good effort on defense, off the team, while they think that Willie Warren, who couldn't spell defense if you spotted him the defens, is a lottery pick.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #50
sheepdogs
Role Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 572
Default Re: Cade Davis = Worst Shooter on the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
I find it interesting that there is general agreement on the tenet that defense wins championships. Yet, these same people want Cade Davis, who puts out a good effort on defense, off the team, while they think that Willie Warren, who couldn't spell defense if you spotted him the defens, is a lottery pick.
And where would head scratching be if not for opinion entitlement?
sheepdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com