ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 01-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Default Food For Thought

http://soonerstats.com/basketball/wo...sons/index.cfm

Review the stats. Are the stats/records enough to convince Joe C. a change is needed after this season?

I lean toward yes, but it isnít exactly clear cut. A case could be made to give Sherri another year after this season.

Rumors appear to be growing. Just heard Oklahoman may be sniffing around about program future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
OUDallas66
Walk-on

Default Re: Food For Thought

Sherri’s contract was extended in the summer of 2018 to run through June 30, 2022, by Joe.
OUDallas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
SKSooner
Walk-on

No way you do fire a coach for missing the NCAA Tournament for the first time in like twenty years. That is absolutely crazy. Things are clearly not in good shape, but she deserves the opportunity to turn it around.
SKSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:38 PM   #4
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Agreed. She does deserve a chance, but every loss makes it more difficult.

This isnít just a down year. Itís much worse than that. Itís a total collapse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:07 PM   #5
OUDallas66
Walk-on

In order to make the Big Dance we either need to win at least 8 of 11 conference games plus 2 in the Big 12 Tournament or win the Big 12 Tournament outright.

Which one of these two options will occur Sooner fans?

I saw Jan before the Baylor game, see looked good, pray for her continued recovery.

Last edited by OUDallas66; 01-28-2019 at 09:10 PM.
OUDallas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUDallas66 View Post
In order to make the Big Dance we either need to win at least 8 of 11 conference games plus 2 in the Big 12 Tournament or win the Big 12 Tournament outright.

I saw Jan before the Baylor game, see looked good, pray for her continued recovery.
Neither will happen. Hopefully, OU will win on Wednesday but I would expect much more.

As for Sherri, it is one thing to not make the tournament, it is another to go 5 and 20 something.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
sooner8
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUDallas66 View Post

Sadly you didn't include a third option,(none of the above)Sherri was lucky to make the Big dance last year with a 16-15 record.
sooner8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
annabelle
Walk-on

this program has been going in the wrong direction for several seasons. w/l record,crowd attendance @ LNC......Sherri has had plenty of chances to right the ship imo....
annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #9
soonerstar
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabelle View Post
this program has been going in the wrong direction for several seasons. w/l record,crowd attendance @ LNC......Sherri has had plenty of chances to right the ship imo....
+1 Time for a change.
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #10
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabelle View Post
It is easy to let crowd size confuse us. Attendance is lousy about everywhere. It was pointed out that both Texas and Baylor are struggling on that. Just look at the images on TV for evidence. Don't get tricked by misleading attendance stats - many of those numbers never show up at the actual games.

In addition, the Thunder has seriously damaged all other spots teams in the area. Far too much money is being poured into a losing enterprise. They did not even have the intelligence to figure out that James Harden should have been kept here. Then KD leaves for greener pastures. They will never be all that good, but so much money is being wasted on them. They have even had to force all the tax payers in the area to fund even their concession stands. And all the money going to that losing enterprise has cost fans the ability to afford other sports teams.

Get rid of the losing thunder and you have greater success at OU and other colleges, high schools, etc.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:55 PM   #11
inoref
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
It is easy to let crowd size confuse us. Attendance is lousy about everywhere. It was pointed out that both Texas and Baylor are struggling on that. Just look at the images on TV for evidence. Don't get tricked by misleading attendance stats - many of those numbers never show up at the actual games.

In addition, the Thunder has seriously damaged all other spots teams in the area. Far too much money is being poured into a losing enterprise. They did not even have the intelligence to figure out that James Harden should have been kept here. Then KD leaves for greener pastures. They will never be all that good, but so much money is being wasted on them. They have even had to force all the tax payers in the area to fund even their concession stands. And all the money going to that losing enterprise has cost fans the ability to afford other sports teams.

Get rid of the losing thunder and you have greater success at OU and other colleges, high schools, etc.
I agree about the thunder, I made a post in the men forum about how I feel the nba team has hurt college attendance here and was quickly called out but to each his/her own
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #12
sdcloud9
Starter

There is no doubt the Thunder has hurt attendance.

I have some friends that let their football tickets go for Thunder tickets.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:24 PM   #13
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
I agree about the thunder, I made a post in the men forum about how I feel the nba team has hurt college attendance here and was quickly called out but to each his/her own
The Thunder may have caused some attendance issues for OU MBB, but I don't recall the WBB program having attendance issues during their winning days; especially 2005-2010.
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:50 AM   #14
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbay View Post
The Thunder may have caused some attendance issues for OU MBB, but I don't recall the WBB program having attendance issues during their winning days; especially 2005-2010.
The cost for season general admission tickets cost $120-$235 and only $80 for youth/senior citizens. Single game tickets are $10 and $8. OU MBB season tickets are $195-$560. Thunder season tickets cost $700-$8,000 depending on location.

I can see purchase of season Thunder tickets impeding any fan's puchase of OU or OSU MBB or WBB tickets but WBB tickets are a drop in the bucket relative to the other two tickets. Their cost should not be an obstacle to seeing any OU WBB game.

OU MBB and WBB permit movement from any area to any lower level vacant seat after the first timeout. I have had the lowest cost upper level tickets for decades and alway sit in the same lower level side line seat. In the last 10 years I have been bumped from that seat about a half dozen times as it is reserved seat sold to opponents fans and it normally returned.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=208802865

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=208802897

http://thunderdigest.com/2018/02/21/...ticket-prices/

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 01-30-2019 at 02:47 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #15
gwydion
Walk-on

The Thunder is a losing enterprise?
gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #16
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwydion View Post
The Thunder is a losing enterprise?
Not likely. There are 30 teams in the NBA. For the last 5 seasons including 2018-19 YTD the Thunder ranked 13th, 5th, 10th, 8th and 5th in regular season wins. That is ranked an average of 8th for the 5 year period. A long way from a losing enterprise.

Some will alway preceive that anything but #1 is a losing enterprise. Unfortunately a preponderance of the opinions may think the same.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:18 PM   #17
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Not likely. There are 30 teams in the NBA. For the last 5 seasons including 2018-19 YTD the Thunder ranked 13th, 5th, 10th, 8th and 5th in regular season wins. That is ranked an average of 8th for the 5 year period. A long way from a losing enterprise.

Some will alway preceive that anything but #1 is a losing enterprise. Unfortunately a preponderance of the opinions may think the same.
My view of them as a losing enterprise is that they had to get the taxpayers of Oklahoma City in the last MAPS tax to pay for their concession stand improvements. If you cannot even provide the funds for that, you are a losing enterprise.

OU does not ask the taxpayers of Norman to pay for their concession stands. They do that through ticket sales, concession stand sales and donations.

That is my view. You are free to say taxpayers should fund their operations if you wish.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:27 PM   #18
SuperHoops
Role Player

Quote:
My view of them as a losing enterprise is that they had to get the taxpayers of Oklahoma City in the last MAPS tax to pay for their concession stand improvements. If you cannot even provide the funds for that, you are a losing enterprise.

OU does not ask the taxpayers of Norman to pay for their concession stands. They do that through ticket sales, concession stand sales and donations.

That is my view. You are free to say taxpayers should fund their operations if you wish.
The Thunder donít own the arena. There are hundreds of concerts and hockey games and other events held there every year that also benefit from the upgrades. And I donít think that the Thunder even gets money from the concessions it goes to the companies that run the stands and leases them from the arena.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:31 PM   #19
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHoops View Post
The Thunder donít own the arena. There are hundreds of concerts and hockey games and other events held there every year that also benefit from the upgrades. And I donít think that the Thunder even gets money from the concessions it goes to the companies that run the stands and leases them from the arena.
I can tell you don't attend many other events there. Even at the Big-12 WBB tournament, the concession stands the taxpayers paid for are CLOSED at such events.

They are high grade- used for upper reserved areas of the facility as I understand it.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #20
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:

\

Difficult to call the Thunder a losing enterprise when they are good enough businessmen to get OKC to pay for the concessions. It would be bad business for them to expend more money setting up their operation than necessary.

Since eternity professional teams have solicited public funds for bringing a professional team to their city. Frequently cities find their expenditures a good financial decision for their city.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:19 PM   #21
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
\

Difficult to call the Thunder a losing enterprise when they are good enough businessmen to get OKC to pay for the concessions. It would be bad business for them to expend more money setting up their operation than necessary.

Since eternity professional teams have solicited public funds for bringing a professional team to their city. Frequently cities find their expenditures a good financial decision for their city.
You haven't convinced me yet. Keep digging.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:12 AM   #22
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Why would anyone want to convince you. We all know you know not of that for which you speak. Their bottom line is the Bennett group bought the Thunder in 2006 for $325 million in February 2018 Forbes valued the team at $1,250 million. That is $925 million for somebody's pocket.

P.S. professional sports teams are for profit businesses and the Thunder are definitely making money. Their income/revenue is 28.8%. Their debt/value is 11%. Damned profitable and they play winning basketball.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/oklahoma-city-thunder/
Old 01-31-2019, 12:20 PM   #23
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Why would anyone want to convince you. We all know you know not of that for which you speak. Their bottom line is the Bennett group bought the Thunder in 2006 for $325 million in February 2018 Forbes valued the team at $1,250 million. That is $925 million for somebody's pocket.

P.S. professional sports teams are for profit businesses and the Thunder are definitely making money. Their income/revenue is 28.8%. Their debt/value is 11%. Damned profitable and they play winning basketball.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/oklahoma-city-thunder/
I know. To some all that matters is money. Dollar signs fill their vision. It is their only way to measure success and value. In fact, there are far more important things in life and far better ways to measure success though.

Not everyone is capable of understanding that.

Even some on here always want to talk about SC's salary. Not too important in the big scheme of things. If we were losing lots of games and the coach made only a hundred thousand a year, I would still want a better product on the court. It's not about $$$$.

Some people are not too good at maintaining successful enterprises long term either. Lets see. Now what happened to Oklahoma City's daily newspaper? Oh yes, it is now mostly a Tulsa produced paper. I wonder who caused that? Not E.K.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:16 PM   #24
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
I know. To some all that matters is money. Dollar signs fill their vision. It is their only way to measure success and value. In fact, there are far more important things in life and far better ways to measure success though.

Not everyone is capable of understanding that.

Even some on here always want to talk about SC's salary. Not too important in the big scheme of things. If we were losing lots of games and the coach made only a hundred thousand a year, I would still want a better product on the court. It's not about $$$$.

Some people are not too good at maintaining successful enterprises long term either. Lets see. Now what happened to Oklahoma City's daily newspaper? Oh yes, it is now mostly a Tulsa produced paper. I wonder who caused that? Not E.K.
A mere look at the newspaper industry and the advent of social media should answer that question. It is a consolidating business. Employment in the newrooms of newspapers has fallen nationally from 72K in 2004 to 39K in 2017. Probably a major reason the Gaylord family sold the newspaper in 2011. A very good business decision. So you see The Oklahoman has not had local ownership for 8 years.

Oh and to answer your question the owner of The Oklahoman is GateHouse Media and they own 145 newspapers including 10 in Oklahoma and their publishing practices are done to maximize profits not appease residents of Oklahoma City. But as is the nature of the industry GateHouse was in bankrupcy as late as 2013 but are growing today.

https://newsok.com/article/3605308/o...-end-of-an-era

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ateHouse_Media

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oklahoman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GateHouse_Media
Old 01-31-2019, 08:22 PM   #25
gwydion
Walk-on

I so enjoy laughing at Sweetest posts now. She has no clue on so much and yet vilifies all who dare to give her facts to show how she is wrong. Professional owners don't go by win/loss records. I mean they like to win but it is all about the bottom line.

And the reason so many concession stands are closed during OU events is it only takes about a quarter of them to serve the few who show up. No profit in opening concession stands that can't sell enough to cover the wages of those working it. So you consolidate and hope to get something out of the handful that do come.

Have you ever been to a women's basketball game at LNC? They don't always have all the concession stands open there either. Especially in November/December. I"m pretty sure they aren't all open for gymnastics either and as many if not more people go to women's gymnastics now then women's basketball. I'll check that out tomorrow night.
gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote