ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
thebigabd
National Champion

Default Sell me on "low major" graduate transfers

Many here seem to favor the "low major" D1 graduate transfer over some HS players and certainly over junior college recruiting at this stage of the game. In fact, many of the coaches must feel the same way because they are passing up good junior college talent to go after players from Maine, Pacific, and other "low major" leagues.

The base logic makes sense... they've played D1 basketball before, they are older, graduated, experienced, etc. However, you only get them for one year and they only get one year to adjust to a new team, develop chemistry, etc and then they are gone.

Also, a quick scan of the All Big 12 selections doesn't yield a single player like this. On the other hand, 20% of the list is made up of juco transfers. So at least there is a precedent for juco transfers competing at a high level in this league.

OSU took one last year who played an important role on their team (Kendall Smith), but he was up and down, but overall a solid player. But now he is gone already. Just a one year rental to fill a gap before the next season starts.

What is your reasoning for favoring guys like Aaron Calixte and Miles Reynolds over guys like Devonte Bandoo and Ricky Torres? I am not saying it is wrong to favor these, I am just curious as to why so many of you seem to get more excited about the grad transfer than other types of recruits.

Last edited by thebigabd; 04-15-2018 at 10:04 AM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote