ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 01-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #26
Speedy17
Role Player

Default Re: West Virginia at OU

The irony of Pellington is she is an uptempo player and OU is SLOW. This is not an athletic basketball team. Besides Pellington and Ana, no one on this team can push the basketball. You want to play fast but the team is so slow that they get into half court games. Half court games are a disaster for this team because they are also short. They get pounded on the boards. I agree that is not Pellington's game but she is the key if OU is to win some games this year. This long season has just begun.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #27
gwydion
Walk-on

I don't think this team has given up. I thought they played hard but at the same time had no clue. I don't remember Sherri being up and yelling as much as she was this game and she was often talking to the players as they were subbed out which I don't remember her really doing before. Agree that Shaina is too fast for this team. She would race down the court and be the only one there and then with no way to the basket and no other team mates around have a turnover.
gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:19 PM   #28
rocjunkie
Sweet 16

The problem with this team is not that they don't show up and play hard most of the time, the biggest problem is that they are totally fundamentally inept. They can't hit lay ups. They shoot below the rim or just throw the ball up hoping to get a foul, and then miss half their free throws. They don't block out, they don't follow their shots, they don't know how to set proper screens to free up shooters. Need I go on. This is definitely on an inept coaching staff.

We were 12 of 38 from two point range, think about how many close in shots we missed or got blocked. This was a winnable game. Our kids don't know how to finish. Until they study film and correct their mistakes, and poor fundamentals, they will be lucky to win three more games this season.
rocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #29
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

Our recap...

Quote:
NORMAN — A late comeback by the Oklahoma women’s basketball team fell short as the Sooners were edged 66-55 by West Virginia on Sunday afternoon at Lloyd Noble Center.

Trailing by as many as 22 points in the first half, OU (5-10, 1-3 Big 12) battled but came up short against the Mountaineers (11-4, 2-2). OU cut the deficit to six points midway in the fourth quarter, but could not get closer.

After shooting 28 percent in the first two quarters, the Sooners went 11-of-24 (.458) in the third and fourth. Similarly, the Sooner defense held WVU to 6-of-29 from the field and without a 3-pointer in the second half after allowing the Mountaineers to shoot 44 percent in the opening half.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #30
One More Rebound
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Post game Sherri just said she knew the girls werenít focused and motivated for the game and she could tell it in the warm-up.

Sometimes that happens.

It made me wonder, however, if this team has given up or may be on the verge of giving up.

Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isn't it the coaches job to get players to focus and to motivate them?
One More Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #31
inoref
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by One More Rebound View Post
Wonder if Sherri passed those duties on the Colton? He should have time to do it since he doesn't hold the clipboard
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #32
BlackwellSooner
Starter

Anyone hear anything from Sherri as to why Ijeoma Odimgbe only played 5 minutes? She is 6-4, she might have helped us keep from being killed on the boards! WV out-boarded us 57-35, and had 16 2nd-chance points to our 2. That right there is a strong indication as to why we lost.
BlackwellSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #33
sybarite
National Champion

An observation from Raoul. Baylor has five freshmen ranked in the top thirty of Texas (or the nation or something). Against UConn, they played one. I don't think they played any sophomores.

Against us and Baylor, UConn played one freshman (Williams) and one sophomore (Walker). Both teams were dominated by juniors, and especially seniors (Samuelson, Collier, Brown, Cox). Baylor's freshman played 15 minutes. UConn did play a second freshman for four minutes. I think she was the number 4 or 5 rated freshman.

Our freshmen and sophomores probably accounted for 198 minutes against UConn.

Baylor and UConn (and most good teams) start four juniors and seniors and mix in a freshman or sophomore into their lineup. They have time for the freshman to learn. The juniors and seniors have worked together long enough that they can cover for most of the errors of the freshman. Even now, you can see Geno's frustration with Walker who he needs to step up next year.

Meanwhile, we have a team that averages 19.1 years old. There are no juniors and seniors from whom to learn, who might cover for a one freshman's mistakes. There are four other freshmen and sophomores out there who are still making a lot of mistakes.

At 19, most kids are trying to find their way to class and still have no clue as to how to take notes. By the time they are seniors,, they know how to take notes, or they are gone. These kids are learning how to play at a speed that they had never thought of until now. The worst kid on the bench was a highschool star.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #34
BlackwellSooner
Starter

Yes, looking at the roster, 10 of the 12 players listed are either freshmen or sophomores, specifically 7 freshmen and 3 sophs. Only 2 seniors, Ijeoma and Gileysa.

Not good.
BlackwellSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #35
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackwellSooner View Post
Yes, looking at the roster, 10 of the 12 players listed are either freshmen or sophomores, specifically 7 freshmen and 3 sophs. Only 2 seniors, Ijeoma and Gileysa.

Not good.
Who built that roster of 7 freshmen, 3 sophomores and 2 seniors. That is who is responsible for this mess. I think most in their lay person opinion have concluded that the failure to recruit quality players is the primary cause of the problem.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #36
trusooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by One More Rebound View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree with you! Coaches should never have to motivate players or get them focused especially at the college level. After having coached basketball for many years it really bothered me that people expected me to get them motivated to play. My job as a coach was to prepare them for the next team we were to play. A coach should never want to win more than the players. I never had to have someone motivate me when I was a player. I couldn't wait to get on the floor. Young players sometimes have a tough time figuring things out especially if they are the ones expected to be the major contributors. This is the problem at OU, they don't have older players as leaders that can show them
trusooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #37
swok34
Walk-on

We are just so very young, all of them.

They will survive, I just don't think this is going to turn out to be a very pretty year. After having finished no where near the bottom in such a long time, it is a tough sour pill to swallow.

They will learn though, that is usually what freshmen do......and a lot of times they run out of steam by February.
swok34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM   #38
sybarite
National Champion

Glad to see you swok34.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #39
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by swok34 View Post
We are just so very young, all of them.

They will survive, I just don't think this is going to turn out to be a very pretty year. After having finished no where near the bottom in such a long time, it is a tough sour pill to swallow.

They will learn though, that is usually what freshmen do......and a lot of times they run out of steam by February.

I get that they are young. But does that excuse how foolish some of these errors are? SC's teams are prone to high turnovers and this does not seem to change much as the players age. I think youth is a little bit of a factor this year but I really wonder what this very same group would be like under a different coaching staff? Id have to argue they'd have won more than 5 games so far under a different coach. I mean look at our two seniors now... they've not improved one bit since they stepped foot on campus, who's to say these youngsters will? My point is, I think it is the coaching, not as much the youth. I'm sure this season will be a 'pass' season, but mark my words SC will be on the ADs radar and if next season isn't an improvement, she's gone! 3 years in a row under 20 wins is inexcusable!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:59 AM   #40
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerguy06 View Post
I get that they are young. But does that excuse how foolish some of these errors are? SC's teams are prone to high turnovers and this does not seem to change much as the players age. I think youth is a little bit of a factor this year but I really wonder what this very same group would be like under a different coaching staff? Id have to argue they'd have won more than 5 games so far under a different coach. I mean look at our two seniors now... they've not improved one bit since they stepped foot on campus, who's to say these youngsters will? My point is, I think it is the coaching, not as much the youth. I'm sure this season will be a 'pass' season, but mark my words SC will be on the ADs radar and if next season isn't an improvement, she's gone! 3 years in a row under 20 wins is inexcusable!

No way is Sherri gone after 2019-20 season regardless of record. Should things remain in the doldrums through 2020-21 or 2021-22 her seat might get hot. Joe Castiglione is a big Sherri supporter and that is not going to change near term. JMHO.
Old Today, 10:12 AM   #41
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
No way is Sherri gone after 2019-20 season regardless of record. Should things remain in the doldrums through 2020-21 or 2021-22 her seat might get hot. Joe Castiglione is a big Sherri supporter and that is not going to change near term. JMHO.
Spock, I know you have great connections on this and recruiting. My question is what happens if they don't win another game this year (personally, I don't see anyway this team wins ten games - would not be surprised if they lost the rest of the games) then a bunch of kids hit the transfer portal. Attendance is getting ridiculously low. I agree that Joe C. supports Sherri but what about Gallogly? Could Joe C. force some staff changes which would be the natural next move. Sherri picked the absolute worst time to hire Colton. Finally, Are you ready for some softball?
Old Today, 10:17 AM   #42
Sooner04
All-Conference

They're going to have trouble reaching double digits in wins this year. I can't imagine the seat not being a little warm going into the 2020 season. And it will be roasting if they don't show significant gains leading into 2021.

This is a mess. I know we've been declining. I'm just shocked at the steepness of the drop.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:34 AM   #43
Mac
Administrator

A coach has the responsibility to put there players in the best position to be successful, Sherri has done so in the past but for whatever reason she couldnít do the same with this years team... OU is definitely a young team, starting all underclassmen and then underclassmen being our 1st few subs off the bench... while the sky should be the limit for this team and OU should be winning the big 12 by the time our key players are upperclassmen, still other then Drob and Stevenson I canít think of any player thatís really developed at OU... Campbell had a lot of potential but she seems to get worse vs better while at OU... Iím sure Sherri didnít expect Mandy to be our starting center when she had 6í9 Mulkey on the team, but thatís the way it is now...
Old Today, 10:35 AM   #44
inoref
All-Conference

I really believe next year and the next will be much like the ones before this year. Not great teams, but better than this year. I don't see OU replacing Baylor at the top but 3rd-5th place in the big 12 in most years. Not sure how most fans would feel about that but looks like most would be happy. SC is one lucky lady that the higher ups at OU couldn't care less about the women basketball.
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #45
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
I really believe next year and the next will be much like the ones before this year. Not great teams, but better than this year. I don't see OU replacing Baylor at the top but 3rd-5th place in the big 12 in most years. Not sure how most fans would feel about that but looks like most would be happy. SC is one lucky lady that the higher ups at OU couldn't care less about the women basketball.
Unfortunately for Sherri, Boren was known while Gallogly is not. I am afraid she is headed towards a historic bad season close to Sherri's first year. She doesn't have the staff that she had to begin with. That NCAA streak has protected her but that will be over this year barring an absolute miracle.
Old Today, 02:40 PM   #46
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
Spock, I know you have great connections on this and recruiting. My question is what happens if they don't win another game this year (personally, I don't see anyway this team wins ten games - would not be surprised if they lost the rest of the games) then a bunch of kids hit the transfer portal. Attendance is getting ridiculously low. I agree that Joe C. supports Sherri but what about Gallogly? Could Joe C. force some staff changes which would be the natural next move. Sherri picked the absolute worst time to hire Colton. Finally, Are you ready for some softball?
I am certain one could generate a scenario for the WBB that would alter my opinion but the probability of such things as failing to get another win this year are virtually nil. Win only 10 games which might be a realistic number and Joe C. would have concerns about the season but it will still be Sherri's program to run as she sees fit. I think the Sooners probably win 3-6 games max to finish the season.

But Castiglione allowing Sherri to hire Colton without even advising him indicates very strongly that he does not get involved in who is on her staff. He is an AD not a basketball coach. His ability to determine who should be assistant WBB coaches is very limited. But I am comfortable he will want to know how Sherri plans to fix the programs current problems. But he know fixing the problem is not a 1-2 deal. Sherri needs talent, length and experience.

Gillogly is another issue. I think his charter is to totally focus on fixing the university financial issues as it primarily relates to facilities. I think he has probably given OU a 3-5 commitment to get the job done. Despite the WBB program losing about $3 million annually I doubt that he will get involved it that issue. It is small potatoes and not within his expertise. On the other hand Joe C. has proven he can run an athletic department and Gillogly is smart enough to let him do his job. JMHO.

I am excited for the softball season to start. The addition of Juarez and Saile in the circle makes OU a serious contender for another natty in what could have been a rebuilding year. But Patty is Patty and we have another strong team as a result. I am pumped.
Old Today, 04:15 PM   #47
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

Thank God we have at least one good women's sport program to depend on year in and year out here. Patty Gasso is a much better Coach than SC in my opinion
Look at how we land these great transfers that have/will greatly affect our program! Way to go 4 Natty Patty!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:18 PM   #48
soonermike22
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
An observation from Raoul. Baylor has five freshmen ranked in the top thirty of Texas (or the nation or something). Against UConn, they played one. I don't think they played any sophomores.

Against us and Baylor, UConn played one freshman (Williams) and one sophomore (Walker). Both teams were dominated by juniors, and especially seniors (Samuelson, Collier, Brown, Cox). Baylor's freshman played 15 minutes. UConn did play a second freshman for four minutes. I think she was the number 4 or 5 rated freshman.

Our freshmen and sophomores probably accounted for 198 minutes against UConn.

Baylor and UConn (and most good teams) start four juniors and seniors and mix in a freshman or sophomore into their lineup. They have time for the freshman to learn. The juniors and seniors have worked together long enough that they can cover for most of the errors of the freshman. Even now, you can see Geno's frustration with Walker who he needs to step up next year.

Meanwhile, we have a team that averages 19.1 years old. There are no juniors and seniors from whom to learn, who might cover for a one freshman's mistakes. There are four other freshmen and sophomores out there who are still making a lot of mistakes.

At 19, most kids are trying to find their way to class and still have no clue as to how to take notes. By the time they are seniors,, they know how to take notes, or they are gone. These kids are learning how to play at a speed that they had never thought of until now. The worst kid on the bench was a highschool star.
Excellent. This describes our "problem" with wbb this year.
soonermike22 is offline   Reply With Quote