ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 11-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
coolm
National Champion

Default RIP Billy Tubbs

a great Sooner coach lost today
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
OkieTC
Walk-on

Default Re: RIP Billy Tubbs

Sad.
OkieTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

A creator of fond memories.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
AdaSooner
Administrator

He was one of a kind, a rare treasure! RIP, Billy!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
skyvue
Final Four

Here's the Daily Oklahoman's story.

I used to work at Mickey Mantle's sports bar here in NYC and we got lots of celebs, sports and otherwise, there. My favorites, of course, were the OU figures that came in, and I was thrilled when Coach Tubbs brought a small group in with him late one night. The place was pretty slow that night, so I got to go over and chat with him. He was very gracious in indulging a Sooner fan who wanted to gush over him for a bit. It was a real treat to meet him.

I loved that once he retired, Coach Tubbs embraced being a member of the Sooner family for his remaining years. It was great to see him interviewed during a game or doing color for the broadcast when he was doing that.

May his family and friends, along with Sooner hoops fans everywhere, be comforted.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Billy was once asked by a media member "coach, what do you say to the opposing coach after the game when shaking hands after you've won by 50?"

Billy's response...."I tell him I want to make sure we schedule them again next year".....

He was one of a kind.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:19 PM   #7
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
Billy was once asked by a media member "coach, what do you say to the opposing coach after the game when shaking hands after you've won by 50?"

Billy's response...."I tell him I want to make sure we schedule them again next year".....

He was one of a kind.
Funny stuff. And I thought he could do Jack Nicholson w/o putting forth the effort.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:15 PM   #8
Stikboy
All-Conference

RIP Billy. He was my first OU coach. Boy did he provide some great memories..
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:20 PM   #9
opsooner
Final Four

I was a sophomore at OU when he was hired. I believe we lost to a non-scholarship team that year. He started to turn it around quickly after that and was it ever fun. Choo Kennedy, Tisdale, and then you know the rest. Hard to believe that OU at one time had the nation’s longest home court win streak during his tenure. I will miss that guy. Best wishes to his grieving family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
opsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:52 PM   #10
cvangild
Role Player

I grew up watching Billy Tubbs basketball at OU!!! Back in those days, A LOT of the games weren't televised...so I can fondly remember listening to OU b-ball games on the radio!! I LOVED IT!!! For some of you younger pups...you may not fully understand exactly how good some of those Tubbs b-ball teams were. There was about a 6-7 year period (1985-1992 or so) where OU basketball was on top of the world!!!! During that time OU was a #1 Seed in the NCAA tourney FOUR times, a #2 seed ONE time. They were DOMINANT and a hell of a lot of fun to watch!!!

Since then, I have been HOOKED on OU b-ball!! And although the times have changed...I owe it all to Billy Tubbs!!! RIP Coach Tubbs! You were a GREAT one!!
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:15 PM   #11
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Best wishes for the Tubbs family. Sad, sad news. But it does bring back so many great memories of Billy and OU hoops. And really, that entire era of coaches in the Big 8. Billy, Norm, Johnny Orr, Larry Brown, etc. I didn’t care for some of them lol, but there will never be a collection of characters like that again. Billy’s PA moment against Missouri will never be topped!
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #12
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Best wishes for the Tubbs family. Sad, sad news. But it does bring back so many great memories of Billy and OU hoops. And really, that entire era of coaches in the Big 8. Billy, Norm, Johnny Orr, Larry Brown, etc. I didn’t care for some of them lol, but there will never be a collection of characters like that again. Billy’s PA moment against Missouri will never be topped!
Norm Stewart always gave me the creeps. Some of his stares were "demonic" quality.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:46 PM   #13
NY Soonerfan
Walk-on

I was about 10 years old and living in Upstate NY when I saw a game one day, and OU scored about 125 points, and I was captivated, and, needless to say, some 34 years later, the rest is history.

RIP Coach Tubbs. One of the last true characters (and a damn good coach) has left us. They don't and won't make them like him any more.
NY Soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #14
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
yes it was...
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #15
oufanfrmks
Walk-on

I have a lot of memories of watching games on TV or in person, but even though this wasn't the best seaon, 1993 was one that I will never forget. I remember watching the game at Duke that year. Didn't really expect us to win, but we hung around and took them to OT. Angelo Hamilton's 360 dunk in that game was freaking awesome! Then later on we beat KU in Allen Fieldhouse, which is always sweet to win there! My brother was going to be a walk-on the 92-93 season, but injuries had other plans. I have a ball signed by the team and coaching staff that he got for me. I remember going to the first late night practice that year with my brother and hearing Coach Tubbs and Assistant coach Mike Anderson call him by his first name. I thought that was pretty awesome! Rest in Peace coach.
oufanfrmks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #16
skyvue
Final Four

Soonersports.com has a two-part 2014 Billy Tubbs reunion special on the site right now. Follow the link that reads Roundtable Part 1 and then scroll down to the link that reads Billy Tubbs Reunion Special Part 1.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #17
AdaSooner
Administrator

Billy’s story would not be complete without this address to the LNC crowd he was famous for. Like I said earlier, he truly was one of a kind:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...225985255.html
Old 11-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #18
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Billy’s story would not be complete without this address to the LNC crowd he was famous for. Like I said earlier, he truly was one of a kind:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...225985255.html

The funniest thing was the look of disbelief on his face when he found out he was assessed a technical. His hands at his side palms turned upward so as to ask "for what" was just so "Billy."
Old 11-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #19
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
The funniest thing was the look of disbelief on his face when he found out he was assessed a technical. His hands at his side palms turned upward so as to ask "for what" was just so "Billy."
No doubt about it. That look, and the body language you described, were classic Billy Tubbs. Billy fans saw those looks often over the years.

We also saw an exciting brand of basketball that featured a high powered, run and gun offense and not necessarily a lot of defense. Yet, one of the best defensive players I ever saw (Mookie Blalock) was a member of Billy’s best team. I still think OU was the best team in the country in 1988, and it wasn’t even close!
Old 11-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #20
WaymanFan
Administrator

R.I.P. Coach Tubbs. I will be praying for your family and close friends.

Since we're on the subject of such a memorable moment in Coach Tubbs career, it should also be noted how human the refs are. I was fortunate to watch every moment of that game against Missouri. At the time Coach made that announcement, OU was getting hammered, and Missouri was getting nearly all the calls. From memory, I believe Missouri was up 22-4 in that game, but after "The Technical", 8 or the next 9 whistles went in OU's favor, and we soon tied the game up at 41-41 (darn, I wish my memory was this good for things I could make money on). Without looking it up, I believe the final was 118-111 in OT won by the good guys.

Here are a few other tidbits from that game. Thanks to Coach Tubbs, it was one of the LOUDEST OU games I ever watched (top 3 for sure). I also remember Norm Stewart was in an OKC hospital, so he wasn't at the game. Since his doctor was with him, the OU doctor was in charge of helping out Missouri as well. One of their players got slightly injured and the OU team doctor helping him out so he could go back into the game.

There are lots of great memories of Coach Tubbs, but that one was truly special. I mentioned this in another thread, but one of his great lines was in his press conference after he got hired. When asked if it bothered him that he was not OU's first choice (John Thompson was), Coach said "Not at all. I wasn't my wife's first choice, either".
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:22 PM   #21
NMSooner'80
All-Conference

A little over 40 years ago, I had an unpaid office position in the OU basketball office. It was a position that Dave Bliss created for me, where I'd get three hours of credit for doing some independent promotional and statistical work for the program. So that meant I was there for the transition. Billy was always great to me, even thought he inherited me in the process (I served under Bliss' Grad Assistant, who was there for the entire semester, Spring of 1980).

I moved out of state after graduation but still made it back for at least one home game each year, until my return in the summer of '84. The Wayman Tisdale signing was a special deal, but the team before he got there was pretty exciting. The OU-Cal Irvine NIT home game was a wild ride but very thrilling in the end.

During Wayman's freshman year, Billy was hit by a car while jogging. Something despicable came out of that, but I'll hit on that later. Around that time, he became one of the "black hats" in college basketball. I'm still not sure how he became vilified by the ESPN types of the world. I guess it was became his team wasn't boring and unathletic. The "big three" in the old Big 8 conference sure didn't like it that a lowly football school was invading their rarified air. That animosity actually started in '79 when Bliss' team won the league (and the tournament), but it really took hold when Billy's teams started beating up on KU, KSU and Mizzou.

His teams were so much fun to watch from about 1982-90. They did it without McDonald's All-Americans (except for Tisdale and Jeff Webster). He did have a pretty good team in '92, but they had some injuries late in the year and were one-and-done in the NCAA. I think he finally burned out a little bit, and I think he got tired of overcompensation by various administrators at OU who were too paranoid after the football team's issues of 1988-89. But I was so pleased that he returned to Oklahoma and helped out on some TV games, even after he turned 80.

I mentioned the jogging accident. It brought out TWO very despicable acts by "haters." One is fairly known. It was when those classy Aggy types created a T-shirt mocking his injury (it read "I jog with Billy" on the front and had nothing but a tire mark on the back). I can't imagine someone celebrating a near fatality, even it involved a bitter rival. The second was when a hateful slug of a writer named Randy Holtz, a former Missouri "Antler" (the scumbag student section), started calling Billy, "Treadmarks." He hated Billy that much! And he wasn't too shy about leading the "big lie" about a so-called "flipping off the crowd" scene in Boulder back in 1984. I've had reliable sources tell me it never happened. Holtz kept repeating that lie and kept the stupid nickname going while serving as a columnist for Basketball Times. I canceled my subscription because of him.

Those big-time KU homers, including a clown named Chuck Woodling at the local paper in Lawrence, invented a similar incident in Lawrence that year. Woodling is the same classless jerk who took the occasion of Wayman Tisdale's death to rehash the '84 "incident" and basically said Tisdale deserved no sympathy after his passing, because of it.

I can probably think of a few more blatant lies told about Billy, but I will shut it down there. He was definitely a fun loving, decent guy who coached his way despite it being a bit different from the national "norm." I'm glad he did it "his way," because it made for fun times at the LNC for the better part of 14 seasons.
NMSooner'80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #22
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

^Thanks for the share.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:06 AM   #23
Sooner Season
Walk-on

Smile Re: RIP Billy Tubbs

I was fortunate to have graduated from OU in 81 so I was there for the Bliss championship, the drop to mediocrity or worse and then the hiring of Billy. I remember his first year he said he was going to have a run and shoot offense but he hoped it would eventually evolve into run and score, and boy did it ever.

The next decade was some of the most fun I have ever had following OU sports. The NIT game, Waymon and the boys coming out party at Syracuse, Mike Treps announcing Tim Mc..........Alister, the Andre Turner missed call that may have cost us a final four (ok, that wasn't much fun!), the Georgia Tech hot house game (still sweating from that one), the UNLV ice game (Larry Johnson and Gerald Paddio), the Kansas win and Choo Kennedy pointing to his finger where his Big 8 championship ring was going (and the controversy surrounding that), the Missouri game mic drop (no matter how bad the officiating is.....), Billy saying when he played a top 10 team "this is a top 10 conference game", back to back home wins over the #1 ranked teams in the country (Kansas and Missouri), 97 points in a half, the Loyola Marymount games (I'm still breathing hard just watching those), Billy holding the ball at Missouri because of the refs putting Waymon in foul trouble, the Skeeter meter......on and on and on, all due to Billy Ball.

Thanks coach, you gave this OU fan the ride of a lifetime. God bless!

Last edited by Sooner Season; 11-04-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Sooner Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #24
AdaSooner
Administrator

Thanks for the breathtaking recap, Sooner Season! I enjoyed the ride down Billy Ball memory lane! Those were fun days, to be sure.