ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 07-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
Soonercuda
All-Conference

Default Joyner Holmes Suspended for Fall Semester

https://twitter.com/raoul_000/status/886362953083236352

Not enrolled sounds like an academic issue.

Last edited by Soonercuda; 07-15-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Soonercuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
sybarite
National Champion

Default Re: Joyner Holmes Suslended for Fall Semester

When was the last time someone was suspended for a semester? Of course, it isn't the semester that has the playoffs. But, she must have done something different. I can't imagine. Even breaking a player's jaw is only worth two games.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
Rbeam1
Walk-on

Aston and Holmes both seem optimistic she will return, but you never know what could happen with things like that.
Rbeam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
When was the last time someone was suspended for a semester? Of course, it isn't the semester that has the playoffs. But, she must have done something different. I can't imagine. Even breaking a player's jaw is only worth two games.
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Who's Jaw was broken?
Old 07-16-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
sunnyjim48
Walk-on

Smile Re: Joyner Holmes Suslended for Fall Semester

He was talking about Griner's punch. He never misses a chance to take a dig at Baylor.
sunnyjim48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #7
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyjim48 View Post
He was talking about Griner's punch. He never misses a chance to take a dig at Baylor.
Well violence is never the answer, if people don't no the tings that Borncastle used to get to BG then it a little unnecessary. kids/Young adult can not only be mean but pure Evil!! At times...
Old 07-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #8
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Well violence is never the answer, if people don't no the tings that Borncastle used to get to BG then it a little unnecessary. kids/Young adult can not only be mean but pure Evil!! At times...
I don't guess I'm following the point you're making here, Mac.

Could you be a bit more transparent?
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
I don't guess I'm following the point you're making here, Mac.

Could you be a bit more transparent?
Syb is taking a cheap shot at Griner, but from what I understand the girl who got punched was talking about BG like a dog...
Old 07-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
BanjoCharley
Starter

That makes It all good. I Mean if the gal said something derogatory she should get her jaw broken. Of course if everyone who talked like someone was a dog got his or her jaw broken, a lot of posters on this board would have broken jaws.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoCharley View Post
That makes It all good. I Mean if the gal said something derogatory she should get her jaw broken. Of course if everyone who talked like someone was a dog got his or her jaw broken, a lot of posters on this board would have broken jaws.
I don't think anyone here has ever been attacked about there race or sexual preference....
Old 07-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #12
giraffespots
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I don't think anyone here has ever been attacked about there race or sexual preference....
Be that as it may...I seem to recall Courtney Paris being the subject of some pretty horrible and personal attacks as well. She never once lost control of herself in response.

To justify an inexcusable action by saying they were goaded into it is very dangerous. Its almost like saying a girl who wore a short skirt "asked for" a rape...or saying a woman "asked for" her husband to beat her up.

Blaming the victim is dangerous stuff.

Britney was a highly charged young player who was playing in an environment where there were no consequences. So, some of the responsibility falls on Baylor. But, just as much falls on Britney.

My opinion is Barncastle should have been stopped from what she was doing (which is the fault of her coach for failing to do so), however, that does not excuse what Griner did...and for which she ONLY received a 2 game suspension.

Now, back to the ORIGINAL topic. (sorry)
giraffespots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #13
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffespots View Post
Be that as it may...I seem to recall Courtney Paris being the subject of some pretty horrible and personal attacks as well. She never once lost control of herself in response.

To justify an inexcusable action by saying they were goaded into it is very dangerous. Its almost like saying a girl who wore a short skirt "asked for" a rape...or saying a woman "asked for" her husband to beat her up.

Blaming the victim is dangerous stuff.

Britney was a highly charged young player who was playing in an environment where there were no consequences. So, some of the responsibility falls on Baylor. But, just as much falls on Britney.

My opinion is Barncastle should have been stopped from what she was doing (which is the fault of her coach for failing to do so), however, that does not excuse what Griner did...and for which she ONLY received a 2 game suspension.

Now, back to the ORIGINAL topic. (sorry)
+1!

And I've heard many times that Courtney received the most verbal harassment in Wacko against Hypocrite U!!! Imagine THAT!!!
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #14
sybarite
National Champion

Oh, people! You think too narrowly and too small.

I guess that I did take a dig at Baylor--kind of by accident. I was actually thinking more about the absurdity of the NCAA (and Big Twelve) in the assessments that they make. Penn State actually is involved in criminal activities against students and others but receives hardly any penalties, and the fans wish to revoke those. USC got off from half million in gifts to a running back. But, we haven't seen a significant penalty since SMU---for recruiting.

Of course, the fact that everyone automatically thought of Baylor is somewhat entertaining. That was something that just doesn't occur every day, and you didn't even think of another possible place. And, you're looking to excuse it?

This thread was about what in the world, given other punishments for serious things, Holmes could have done to merit a semester's suspension---since breaking someone's jaw only results in a two-game suspension.

Is it OK to slam Sherri for being a lazy recruiter, but against some unwritten rules to point out the foibles of a team that might break a jaw or pull hair here and there?
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #15
brsooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyjim48 View Post
Baylor brings it on themselves.
brsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #16
SoonerinNC
Starter

The biggest issue could be that given another player in another school that did what Griner did, what would have been the penalty?

By the way I watched some of the USA under 19 games and I am not looking forward to facing Holmes. She was absolutely dominant.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:23 AM   #17
sunnyjim48
Walk-on

I was not defending Baylor, BR. Mac's post indicated that he did not get what Sybarite was talking about.
I can't stand Baylor,either, but Sybarite brings it up until it reaches the point of diminishing returns.
sunnyjim48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:19 PM   #18
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

I've read every post here and I still don't think I have an answer....why was she suspended for a whole semester?? Does anybody actually know for sure? I agree, it has to be pretty bad.
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote