ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #26
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,702
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
If we get the guy from Illinois State, along with Doolittle, Lattin, and McNease, there aren't going to be a ton of minutes for guys like Freeman and Manek.

I still don't buy that any of them (Doolittle, Illinois State guy, Freeman, or Manek) would be able to play the 3 next year. The game is getting smaller, not bigger.
Not sure where you got the idea that Doolittle, Freeman or Manek could play the three? McIntosh is the only one on your list who who might be able to play that position.

That said, there will always be room for players who can score or make shots from the perimeter. If that means a returning player from last year loses his spot in the starting lineup or plays fewer minutes than before, so be it. The game is about scoring more points than the opponent. Last year's team lost too many close games because we failed to put points on the board at crunch time. Not saying that was the only reason we lost those games. Last year's team also failed to make stops on defense. I think we'll see a marked improvement in both areas this season.

You're right that the game is getting smaller not bigger. But when I asked myself "where's the beef" on last year's team, Doolittle was the only one who fit that description. As a result, 6' 7" to 6' 9" players with the bulk and behinds to create space inside gave us fits sometimes. I think that may be one of the reasons our coaches signed Hannes Polla. I'm also hoping Lattin and McNeace add some muscle to their frame in the offseason, but I'm not counting on it. Gaining weight is not easy for some players.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #27
SoonerTraveler
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,677
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Matt Freeman .. Brady Manek .. Hannes Polla

Can one of these guys eventually develop into someone like Kevin Pittsnogle?

That would be fun to watch.

Blast from the Past
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...le-cover_x.htm
__________________
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #28
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,780
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Not sure where you got the idea that Doolittle, Freeman or Manek could play the three? McIntosh is the only one on your list who who might be able to play that position.

That said, there will always be room for players who can score or make shots from the perimeter. If that means a returning player from last year loses his spot in the starting lineup or plays fewer minutes than before, so be it. The game is about scoring more points than the opponent. Last year's team lost too many close games because we failed to put points on the board at crunch time. Not saying that was the only reason we lost those games. Last year's team also failed to make stops on defense. I think we'll see a marked improvement in both areas this season.

You're right that the game is getting smaller not bigger. But when I asked myself "where's the beef" on last year's team, Doolittle was the only one who fit that description. As a result, 6' 7" to 6' 9" players with the bulk and behinds to create space inside gave us fits sometimes. I think that may be one of the reasons our coaches signed Hannes Polla. I'm also hoping Lattin and McNeace add some muscle to their frame in the offseason, but I'm not counting on it. Gaining weight is not easy for some players.
I guess I just really don't understand your take on McIntosh. You claim he can likely play the 2 or 3, but also claim he is our answer for inside scoring and having a "space eater" in the paint. Space eaters don't play the 2 or 3 in college.

To me, from what I've seen, the guy is a 4 in today's game. He could probably play the 3 (not super effectively in my mind) in a pinch, but I can't imagine that is why LK is recruiting him (to play the 3).
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #29
usedtobe1
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 3,066
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
I guess I just really don't understand your take on McIntosh. You claim he can likely play the 2 or 3, but also claim he is our answer for inside scoring and having a "space eater" in the paint. Space eaters don't play the 2 or 3 in college.

To me, from what I've seen, the guy is a 4 in today's game. He could probably play the 3 (not super effectively in my mind) in a pinch, but I can't imagine that is why LK is recruiting him (to play the 3).
I looked at prior posts and never saw where Ada said McIntosh could play the 2 or 3.... although I think he can play the 3. I also never saw a claim he is a space eater. In fact, he's well put together and is about the same size as Doolittle with more experience. Polla is the kid who can be a space eater.

I'll worry about where to play McIntosh if OU somehow gets him to transfer here. He would be a good catch. I could see he along with Odomes and Doolittle splitting the minutes at the 3/4 positions.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #30
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,702
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
I looked at prior posts and never saw where Ada said McIntosh could play the 2 or 3.... although I think he can play the 3. I also never saw a claim he is a space eater. In fact, he's well put together and is about the same size as Doolittle with more experience. Polla is the kid who can be a space eater.

I'll worry about where to play McIntosh if OU somehow gets him to transfer here. He would be a good catch. I could see he along with Odomes and Doolittle splitting the minutes at the 3/4 positions.
Actually I did say McIntosh would likely play the three, but he might be able to swing to the two in some situations. And why not? He was a 35% volume shooter from three last season. I never said he would be a starter, although I do think he's good enough to compete for for a starting spot.

WT is hung up on the fact that I called him a "banger inside." One only has to watch the way he plays to see what I'm talking about. He's a physical player with a strong body and a big booty. Doolittle is the only player on our roster with a similar build. Buford was, too, but he never used his size and strength to an advantage the way McIntosh does. He also didn't play with Mikyle's intensity and determination. WT is ignoring my follow up post where I said he was so much more than a banger inside. By the way, a banger inside is not the same to me as a space eater (see Hannes Polla).

If McIntosh wants to come to OU, I see no reason not to sign him. He will give us more quality depth by filling a vacant scholarship with no effect whatsoever on our 2018 class. If he puts pressure on returning players and the newcomers to compete for minutes, I see that as a good thing. Competition for playing time should be expected, not avoided.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #31
Larry72
Role Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 861
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Macintosh could be very effective inside and out. He could have a similar impact as Thomas from Houston. He is not the same size or skill set as Thomas but he could help significantly.
Larry72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #32
CoachTalk
Elite Eight
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,195
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Manek more of a guard than post. FYI
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #33
BCSooners
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 1,512
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Manek more of a guard than post. FYI
Skill set yes, but not near athletic enough to play the wing coming in right now.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #34
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,780
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

People get really confused about the difference between what position a guy is playing, and what his skill set is.

Manek might have an offensive game best suited for the perimeter, but at least right now, he is likely to get those looks while playing the 4. Same with McIntosh IMO. I get that he has a broad offensive skill set. Still think it's best utilized from the 4 spot.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #35
BoulderSooner
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 2,771
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
People get really confused about the difference between what position a guy is playing, and what his skill set is.

Manek might have an offensive game best suited for the perimeter, but at least right now, he is likely to get those looks while playing the 4. Same with McIntosh IMO. I get that he has a broad offensive skill set. Still think it's best utilized from the 4 spot.
the position a guy can play above anything else is defined by who can he guard
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #36
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,780
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
the position a guy can play above anything else is defined by who can he guard
I agree.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #37
CoachTalk
Elite Eight
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,195
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Agree. I think he can defend a 3.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #38
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,702
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
People get really confused about the difference between what position a guy is playing, and what his skill set is.

Manek might have an offensive game best suited for the perimeter, but at least right now, he is likely to get those looks while playing the 4. Same with McIntosh IMO. I get that he has a broad offensive skill set. Still think it's best utilized from the 4 spot.
If a guy is playing a position he doesn't have the skill set to play, maybe his coaches are the ones who are confused. It's also possible they don't have a better option. I think we could easily make a case for that possibility with at least two players on our roster last year.

If McIntosh is better suited to play the four, which I doubt by the way, he fits the mold of a former OU player he reminds me of the most, Romero Osby. They are similar in size, in the way they play, and in their skill set.

Roe wanted to play the three to prepare for the next level, but he did what was best for the team. Don't be misled by his three point shooting percentages. He didn't attempt many threes. McIntosh was a volume three point shooter last season with a 35% average from distance. While that may not be burning up the nets, 35% is not bad for a player who does a lot of other things well.

I have no idea if Mikyle McIntosh is going to pick OU? All I'm saying is that he is the kind of player who could help us next season. Ask yourself this question. Is he better than the player who occupies the scholarship he'll fill? The answer to that question is easy for me.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #39
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,780
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Just curious who you think played out of position last year?
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #40
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,702
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Just curious who you think played out of position last year?
Played out of position or our best option to fill a need? Case in point, Jordan Woodard was more comfortable on the wing where he didn't have the responsibility of running the offense. Yet, our coaches had no choice but to play him at the point when Strong-Moore and Shep struggled.

I was responding to your post below, because I interpreted it to mean that you feel a player's skill set doesn't always match up with the position he's playing. If that's not what you meant, I apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
People get really confused about the difference between what position a guy is playing, and what his skill set is.
I added the possibility in my response that a player may be playing out of position because our coaches don't have a better option in some situations, whether that's during a game due to foul trouble or throughout the course of a season when our depth is not as good as it should be.

Do players play out of positon sometimes? Sure. I think most of us would rather see Khadeem doing work inside instead of falling in love with short range jump shots from twelve and out. I defended Rashard most of the season when he was criticized, and rightly so, for passing up open shots on the perimeter.

Dante was never comfortable at any position. He seemed to be lost at times, never really understanding his role. Maybe that was because he was a tweener, a four-three who wanted to be a three-four.

Who would you put on your playing out of positon list?
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:56 AM   #41
chuckb
Starter
 
chuckb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,359
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
the position a guy can play above anything else is defined by who can he guard
This. Calling someone a "2" or a "3" or whatever means very little. It's all about who they can guard. If McIntosh can guard someone on the wing, he's a 3. If not, he's a 4.
chuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #42
vbdad
Role Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 670
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Doolittle will be given the chance to play some 3 in practice. The coaches love his game. My guess for now he stays as a 4 because of the lack of bulk on the team. Although Odomes may be the 3 and Doolittle the 4 they may reverse roles offensively because of the make up of their games.
Manek will be looked at as a stretch 4 with the hope that he could get minutes at the 3 later in his career. He is very thin at this time but he has skills. Defense has to improve though to play very much.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:57 PM   #43
Soonerinkc
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,615
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Actually I did say McIntosh would likely play the three, but he might be able to swing to the two in some situations. And why not? He was a 35% volume shooter from three last season. I never said he would be a starter, although I do think he's good enough to compete for for a starting spot.

WT is hung up on the fact that I called him a "banger inside." One only has to watch the way he plays to see what I'm talking about.
William Davis...6'5 post that guarded 7fter greg dreiling just fine.

I'm 6'1 and a "banger" inside in my thurs ball, granted I'm 52 but it's a mentality.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #44
CoachTalk
Elite Eight
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,195
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
Doolittle will be given the chance to play some 3 in practice. The coaches love his game. My guess for now he stays as a 4 because of the lack of bulk on the team. Although Odomes may be the 3 and Doolittle the 4 they may reverse roles offensively because of the make up of their games.
Manek will be looked at as a stretch 4 with the hope that he could get minutes at the 3 later in his career. He is very thin at this time but he has skills. Defense has to improve though to play very much.
Physicality of the big 12 will be the hardest for manek. Skill wise he can score it

Thanks vbad
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #45
Sooner04
All-Conference
 
Sooner04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,517
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
William Davis...6'5 post that guarded 7fter greg dreiling just fine.
Every team on the globe could use a Cheese Davis. Love those guys who can put the ball in the hoop.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #46
Soonerinkc
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,615
Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

I work in KCK, DJ use to coach in the district, both came from Wyandotte HS.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com