ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 06-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
jaymOU
Role Player

Default Pooh temperature?

Sorry, I have been in Mexico on a mission trip and unable to really get the pulse on how the diehard OU hoop fans like the Pooh hiring?

Seems like a good fit to me, with his Texas recruiting experience and, in the short term, should be an easy transition in recruiting Thompson. Hoping he can help the guards develop as well.

Thoughts?
jaymOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
skyvue
Elite Eight

Default Re: Pooh temperature?

It's discussed at length here:

http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42952&page=5

I'd say most posters are pretty pleased with the hire, though a handful were not.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
jaymOU
Role Player

thanks. I'll read that
jaymOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
Zimwillett
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymOU View Post
thanks. I'll read that
Basic summary, most people were open minded, if not optimistic.

A few had concerns about Williamson bouncing around over the years, but if you actually take the time to look at it, there are a few reasons for that. First, he's actually been valued enough to follow coaches like Mark Turgeon and Tubby Smith from one job to the next, so despite it looking on the surface like he's bouncing around, he's really not. He was with Turgeon from 2005-2011 and Tubby from 2013-2018.

Second, from what I can tell, he's been a little unlucky. He's joined staffs at places like Tulane, TU, SMU and TCU where the head coach was fired shortly thereafter. I'm not really sure whether, or to what degree, you can blame an assistant for that.
Zimwillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #5
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimwillett View Post
Basic summary, most people were open minded, if not optimistic.

A few had concerns about Williamson bouncing around over the years, but if you actually take the time to look at it, there are a few reasons for that. First, he's actually been valued enough to follow coaches like Mark Turgeon and Tubby Smith from one job to the next, so despite it looking on the surface like he's bouncing around, he's really not. He was with Turgeon from 2005-2011 and Tubby from 2013-2018.

Second, from what I can tell, he's been a little unlucky. He's joined staffs at places like Tulane, TU, SMU and TCU where the head coach was fired shortly thereafter. I'm not really sure whether, or to what degree, you can blame an assistant for that.
good points. I am lukewarm about it mostly because I don't know a lot about him. But I always think getting a wide gamut of experience helps a coach and a program. So being around turgeon, tubby, and the others will certainly bring some positives.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:23 AM   #6
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

probably around 98.6F
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
geeoh
'09 OUHoops Bracket Champion

I don't make a habit of sticking thermometers in my poop.
geeoh is offline   Reply With Quote