ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 05-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #101
psk2080
Walk-on

Default Re: This team could be better than most people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
4.9pts/game as a freshman is not the "real deal".
Doesn't mean he won't get there in the future.
But for someone to say there should be no doubt at this point is misguided. There are more Mcgustys than there are Hields.
I never said he definitely was the real deal. I said you can't conclude that he isn't based upon his 4.9 ppg as a frosh. If someone else said there should be no doubt, I wouldn't agree with them either.

There simply is no way you can make any real conclusion about a kid based upon his freshman year.

Personally, I think he was very good at times as a frosh. He played with composure. He didn't have to be much of a scorer and wasn't asked to be most of the time. His role was as a facilitator, and he had a strong assist to turnover ratio. He was a good defender. I expect him to have a very strong 4 year career.
psk2080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #102
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSOONER View Post
McGusty was a Kruger Recruit. Lon had already been here 5 years.
I meant to say bigger disappointment than all of Capel’s AAs. Punctuation usually suffers after hitting the sauce early.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #103
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk2080 View Post
I never said he definitely was the real deal. I said you can't conclude that he isn't based upon his 4.9 ppg as a frosh. If someone else said there should be no doubt, I wouldn't agree with them either.

There simply is no way you can make any real conclusion about a kid based upon his freshman year.

Personally, I think he was very good at times as a frosh. He played with composure. He didn't have to be much of a scorer and wasn't asked to be most of the time. His role was as a facilitator, and he had a strong assist to turnover ratio. He was a good defender. I expect him to have a very strong 4 year career.
I think Zion was the real deal. And KD. Obviously I'm just giving you a hard time about the comment that there is no way to tell about a kid based on freshman year. Your point is well taken, there are very few sure things, but just because Kam flopped his sophomore year doesn't mean JB will. Especially since JB seems to have a fantastic attitude. As you say, he played the role he was asked to play. If anything, he deferred a bit too much. That is a sign that he is a good team player. Now that he won't be the only/primary ball handler, I expect he will naturally be more assertive in looking for his shot.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #104
BCSooners
All-Conference

I feel like Bienemy could be a Ty Jerome type. Might score 8pts but effect the game like he scored 20.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:00 PM   #105
CMSOONER
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
I meant to say bigger disappointment than all of Capel’s AAs. Punctuation usually suffers after hitting the sauce early.
I might agree that he's a bigger disappointment than all of Capel's AA's. At least they produced on the court, however the team was in shambles.
CMSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:01 PM   #106
Eielson
Starter

McGusty was similar to Gallon and TMG, in my book. He wasn't close to WW's contributions, and certainly not Blake's.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:27 PM   #107
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
McGusty was similar to Gallon and TMG, in my book. He wasn't close to WW's contributions, and certainly not Blake's.
I was comparing mcgusty to tiny & tmg. Feel like all 3 could’ve been studs if they could get out of their own way.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:41 PM   #108
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk2080 View Post
His role was as a facilitator, and he had a strong assist to turnover ratio. He was a good defender. I expect him to have a very strong 4 year career.
This. To judge Bieniemy solely by how many points he averaged per game is to mischaracterize or misunderstand the role he was being asked to play on last year's team.

Not every point guard is Trae Young; most shouldn't even attempt to be.

One of the best PGs in OU's history (or so the consensus seems to be) average 8 and 9 ppg as a junior and a senior; his name was Quannas White. He wasn't at OU as a freshman, but I think it's safe to say that seeing as how he topped out at 9 ppg, he likely wouldn't have scored more than JB did as a freshman.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:53 PM   #109
daqman
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
This. To judge Bieniemy solely by how many points he averaged per game is to mischaracterize or misunderstand the role he was being asked to play on last year's team.

Not every point guard is Trae Young; most shouldn't even attempt to be.

One of the best PGs in OU's history (or so the consensus seems to be) average 8 and 9 ppg as a junior and a senior; his name was Quannas White. He wasn't at OU as a freshman, but I think it's safe to say that seeing as how he topped out at 9 ppg, he likely wouldn't have scored more than JB did as a freshman.
I'm not judging him solely on pts scored. But he will be moving from pg to sg, where he will be depended on for scoring.
Are you in the "do not doubt he is the real deal" category?
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:29 PM   #110
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
I'm not judging him solely on pts scored. But he will be moving from pg to sg, where he will be depended on for scoring.
Are you in the "do not doubt he is the real deal" category?
I think it remains to be seen what his role will be next season. I would expect he would be the backup PG, even if Harmon starts from the jump, so he would see plenty of minutes at the point. And it may be that our offensive approach next season will along the lines of having two PGs playing simultaneously. JB's game may more closely resemble his game last season than we think.

In answer to your question, I'm very satisfied with him so far and I look forward to watching him continue to improve.