ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 01-05-2021, 03:45 PM   #1
Stikboy
All-Conference

Default Baylor

What makes them so good? I haven't seen them at all this year. Are they huge? Suffocating defense? I remember Vital and that's about it. Number 2 in the country? Wow..
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #2
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Default Re: Baylor

Shooting 44% as a team from 3 helps
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:54 PM   #3
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
Shooting 44% as a team from 3 helps
Dang. I wouldn't really call defending the 3 this team's strength..
Old 01-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
opsooner
National Champion

Very athletic.

We could beat them on a given day/night and hoping it happens tomorrow but not counting on it. Suspect that even if we get a lead in second half they will eventually overtake us.

Anxious to see how we matchup and adjustments in second matchup even if we donít scare them tomorrow.

But I think we do have a chance. They are not all world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
opsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #5
BoulderSooner
Administrator

they are elite in about everyway ..... i will be suprised if bayor vs the zags is not the championship game
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:52 PM   #6
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
they are elite in about everyway ..... i will be suprised if bayor vs the zags is not the championship game
Agree completely. No weaknesses and a bunch of great college players. We need to play great and hope they are at least a little off their game to have a chance.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:42 PM   #7
TINY
All-Conference

Best team in the country. Experienced, great shooting, size, athleticism, ball handlers, depth, etc., they check all boxes this year. I think we can beat them on a given night just like last year. It is going to take a great night though.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:15 AM   #8
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Great all around, but elite on ball defense.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #9
Stikboy
All-Conference

And to think Kruger used to own Drew... OU used to sweep them with regularity. He's taken alot of crap on this board, but look at him now.... as much as it pains me to say! Is he recruiting great, or developing guys? I think I remember reading a story about them redshirting guys often. Sounds like there's alot of development going on, at least.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #10
steverocks35
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Great all around, but elite on ball defense.
Yep, we will see how the Reaves at point guard experiment holds up tonight.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #11
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
And to think Kruger used to own Drew... OU used to sweep them with regularity. He's taken alot of crap on this board, but look at him now.... as much as it pains me to say! Is he recruiting great, or developing guys? I think I remember reading a story about them redshirting guys often. Sounds like there's alot of development going on, at least.
He redshirts a lot of players. I've always found that odd considering most schools can't get players to redshirt except in the case of injury. Wonder what convinces them to redshirt?????

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #12
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
Yep, we will see how the Reaves at point guard experiment holds up tonight.
Itís no longer an experiment. Despite what a few here seem to believe, Austin Reaves has performed admirably in most games. While he may not please everyone, including me, all of the time, Iím going to give him credit where credit is due. Heís the best point guard option weíve got right now, and itís not even close.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:25 PM   #13
baylrballa
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Wonder what convinces them to redshirt?????
Usually transfer rules require it.
baylrballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:39 PM   #14
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylrballa View Post
Usually transfer rules require it.
Some, not all. Your problem is that the Baylor Athletic Department has zero credibility in the outside world.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:45 PM   #15
steverocks35
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
It’s no longer an experiment. Despite what a few here seem to believe, Austin Reaves has performed admirably in most games. While he may not please everyone, including me, all of the time, I’m going to give him credit where credit is due. He’s the best point guard option we’ve got right now, and it’s not even close.
He's performed admirably against Houston Baptist and some other bad teams. Against good teams who have athletic defenders he hasn't fared as well. He didn't do much at all against West Virginia. Gibson saved us in that game. I would rather see Harmon at the point. I'm kind of surprised that you don't think Harmon is a better point guard option than Reaves. Reaves is not a point guard.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #16
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
He's performed admirably against Houston Baptist and some other bad teams. Against good teams who have athletic defenders he hasn't fared as well. He didn't do much at all against West Virginia. Gibson saved us in that game. I would rather see Harmon at the point. I'm kind of surprised that you don't think Harmon is a better point guard option than Reaves. Reaves is not a point guard.
Reaves is easily better imo. Gets by his man easier, passes better, shoots off the dribble better, & with him starting with the ball he's usually required to move it to start the offense.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #17
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Harmon will likely be a better option as a junior and senior, but heís not right now.

I was none too pleased when CoachTalk broke the news that Reaves would play the point. I thought weíd see the same selfish ball hog we saw last year. But IMO he has done a much better job than I thought he would do. It doesnít bother me to admit I might have been wrong. You should give it a try sometime.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:23 PM   #18
steverocks35
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Harmon will likely be a better option as a junior and senior, but he’s not right now.

I was none too pleased when CoachTalk broke the news that Reaves would play the point. I thought we’d see the same selfish ball hog we saw last year. But IMO he has done a much better job than I thought he would do. It doesn’t bother me to admit I might have been wrong. You should give it a try sometime.
He has played in a more reserved fashion and hasn't gone into Kobe mode as often, that's true. But I still think he would be better and the team would be better if he was playing off the ball.

After the game tonight, win or lose, if Reaves has more assists than turnovers I will gladly post that I was wrong. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong and eating crow. :-)
Old 01-06-2021, 01:26 PM   #19
steverocks35
Elite Eight

Quote:
Reaves is easily better imo. Gets by his man easier, passes better, shoots off the dribble better, & with him starting with the ball he's usually required to move it to start the offense.
He doesn't do those things well against teams with athletic guards that can defend. We will see what happens tonight. I hope he plays well.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:31 PM   #20
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
He doesn't do those things well against teams with athletic guards that can defend. We will see what happens tonight. I hope he plays well.
Maybe, but he's still the best option no matter who OU is playing.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #21
steverocks35
Elite Eight

Quote:
Maybe, but he's still the best option no matter who OU is playing.
I think Harmon is but we will see.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #22
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
He has played in a more reserved fashion and hasn't gone into Kobe mode as often, that's true. But I still think he would be better and the team would be better if he was playing off the ball.

After the game tonight, win or lose, if Reaves has more assists than turnovers I will gladly post that I was wrong. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong and eating crow. :-)
Fair enough. If I felt Harmon, or any player on the team for that matter, is a better option at the point, I wouldnít hesitate to call for a change.

Iím a huge Harmon fan. He has come a long way since last year. I honestly believe Reaves gives us the best chance to compete against Big 12 teams. Does that mean I think OU weíll win tonightís game? My heart says yes, but my head says no. Baylor is just too good.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:45 PM   #23
vbdad
Starter

Harmon nearly cost us the WVU game with incessant dribbling out by the timeline. He couldn’t get the ball to the three point line much less in our offense.
Reaves didn’t play well especially shooting against them either.

Last edited by vbdad; 01-06-2021 at 04:49 PM.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:59 PM   #24
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
Harmon nearly cost us the WVU game with incessant dribbling out by the timeline. He couldnít get the ball to the three point line much less in our offense.
Reaves didnít play well especially shooting against them either.
Our guards were having trouble getting separation to give him a passing angle. I really liked the way Jalen Hill came to the ball as a pressure release. Heís big and can jump and has great hands and uses his body to shield the defender. His minutes will keep increasing all year.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:13 PM   #25
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

manek 0'fer 3 from the 3...down 2/10 15 min left

Oh, guess Reaves is not play PG...at least not bringing ball up..Harmon is.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote