ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2021, 09:06 PM   #1
lexusooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 204
Default We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

He’s a great Sooner and he’s got a heck of a shot but he’s always been a liability on defense ...,
We played the two best defensive games we’ve played in a long time back to back .... thoughts??

Last edited by lexusooner; 01-13-2021 at 12:01 AM.
lexusooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:31 PM   #2
skyvue
Final Four
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,470
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusooner View Post
He’s a great Sooner and he’s got a heck of a shot but he’s always been a liability on defense ...,
We played the two best defensive games we’ve played in a long time back to back in a long time .... thoughts??
Teams often step up the intensity when a teammate is out. Let's see how they do when Manek returns (and is back to 100%, if he's ailing). They may not miss a step.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:03 PM   #3
stormspencer
Sweet 16
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 4,487
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

In the last two games, our adjusted defensive efficiency rating has improved from #74 to #51 according to Kenpom. For metrics/stats nerds like me, that is mind blowing.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:07 PM   #4
mict085
All-Conference
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,842
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Absolutely we’re a Better defensive team without manek. No question really.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:55 PM   #5
pnkranger
All-American
 
pnkranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,579
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
In the last two games, our adjusted defensive efficiency rating has improved from #74 to #51 according to Kenpom. For metrics/stats nerds like me, that is mind blowing.
Especially 11 games into the season.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:41 PM   #6
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,011
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Definitely better defensively & rebounding. He does space the floor out though. I remember not long ago someone said he was an NBA player who could guard TJ Leaf.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:08 AM   #7
oudna
All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,360
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

just a wildly inconsistent player, for a veteran

when he's shooting well he's valuable
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #8
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,062
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudna View Post
just a wildly inconsistent player, for a veteran

when he's shooting well he's valuable
When he’s not he a liability.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:45 AM   #9
Maverick008
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 207
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusooner View Post
He’s a great Sooner and he’s got a heck of a shot but he’s always been a liability on defense ...,
We played the two best defensive games we’ve played in a long time back to back .... thoughts??
Honestly, what I hope is that this is a wake up call to Manek that offense isn’t going to be enough to keep him on the floor all the time anymore. IMO it’s his effort on a consistent basis that hurts him on the defensive end. I think at this point he understands how the game works but it’s been a while since he’s had that guy pushing for playing time behind him. This team has shown they have what it takes to be competitive and win games without his offense and even Lon started to show a game or two before Manek went out that in the middle and even near the end of games that Manek will be on the bench for better defensive options. IF he would play hard consistently on both ends (see the WV game) he could help this team more than hurt it on both ends. The problem with this, is at this point in his career, it’s sometimes hard for a player to swallow that they need to start playing harder all the time....some players have too big of an ego to change what they are doing at this point and they just fade off into the sunset. Lets hope he chooses to play harder to stay on the court and help this team continue to take the next step.
Maverick008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #10
Sooner04
All-Conference
 
Sooner04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,990
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Shockingly better.

And it continues a trend I alluded to last year. Why in the world would a senior be that much of a drain on one end of the floor......sometimes BOTH? How do you rally behind someone who is making you that much worse?
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #11
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,247
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

There's some truth in what's being stated here. But against quality opponents that are capable of scoring the basketball, OU is almost certainly better when Brady Manek is on the floor and not the bench.
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #12
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 4,535
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

i don't think it is maneks effort at all ... he just has slow feet ... he would have been helpful against KU

i will say Manek is much better on D at the 5 then at the 4


on the other end Hill is a very good defensive player ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:53 AM   #13
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 4,535
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
Shockingly better.

And it continues a trend I alluded to last year. Why in the world would a senior be that much of a drain on one end of the floor......sometimes BOTH? How do you rally behind someone who is making you that much worse?
adv stats really like manek
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:20 PM   #14
Maverick008
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 207
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
i don't think it is maneks effort at all ... he just has slow feet ... he would have been helpful against KU

i will say Manek is much better on D at the 5 then at the 4


on the other end Hill is a very good defensive player ..
We will have to agree to disagree. I guess I could change the word to “lazy”? There are many times he loafs around the court or refuses to give the guy enough credit to make a shot to attempt to go out and cover the guy. All of this is my opinion of course but it’s what I see most of the time from Manek on the defensive end. I also disagree about the “better at the 5 on D”. He’s not strong enough to handle guys in the post on most nights. OU doesn’t really have a guy that is but Kur can make up some of that with length and the ability to block shots. Manek doesn’t really have the ability or the length to cover up the short comings of just not being strong enough. If we are saying he covers the 5 better because that guy won’t step out and hit a 3, then we agree
Maverick008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:25 PM   #15
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,011
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
i don't think it is maneks effort at all ... he just has slow feet ... he would have been helpful against KU

i will say Manek is much better on D at the 5 then at the 4


on the other end Hill is a very good defensive player ..
Yes, definitely better at guarding the 5, which is what he got to do last year. This year when other teams go 4 guards either Manek or Kur comes off or you pray they miss 3s. He's too slow & doesn't work hard enough consistently to make up for it on the perimeter.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #16
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,062
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
There's some truth in what's being stated here. But against quality opponents that are capable of scoring the basketball, OU is almost certainly better when Brady Manek is on the floor and not the bench.
OU is unquestionably better when Brady is making shots. We miss his ability to score when he’s not on the floor.

HOWEVER! When he’s not making shots, he tends to get down on himself and every part of his game seems to suffer. It’s not that Brady can’t rebound or play defense. Case in point, the back to back offensive rebounds he got in the final seconds to help us hang on and best WVU. The last time I saw an OU player do that, Ryan Spangler was on our roster.

So, it’s not like Brady can’t play better or harder. For reasons only he understands, he goes into a shell and takes plays off, almost always on defense. Maverick008 said it well: “There are many times he loafs around the court or refuses to give the guy enough credit to make a shot to attempt to go out and cover the guy.”

I, too, have been frustrated watching him coast on defense and give up a wide open three or a layup. If it frustrates me, how do you think his teammates feel?
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:39 PM   #17
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 4,535
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Manek is also a very underrated shot blocker ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #18
steverocks35
Elite Eight
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,758
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
Manek is also a very underrated shot blocker ..
Come on now. He's averaging 1 block per game which isn't a lot for a 4 playing as many minutes as he plays.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:39 PM   #19
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,282
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
When he’s not he a liability.
Yup
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #20
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,282
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
OU is unquestionably better when Brady is making shots. We miss his ability to score when he’s not on the floor.

HOWEVER! When he’s not making shots, he tends to get down on himself and every part of his game seems to suffer. It’s not that Brady can’t rebound or play defense. Case in point, the back to back offensive rebounds he got in the final seconds to help us hang on and best WVU. The last time I saw an OU player do that, Ryan Spangler was on our roster.

So, it’s not like Brady can’t play better or harder. For reasons only he understands, he goes into a shell and takes plays off, almost always on defense. Maverick008 said it well: “There are many times he loafs around the court or refuses to give the guy enough credit to make a shot to attempt to go out and cover the guy.”

I, too, have been frustrated watching him coast on defense and give up a wide open three or a layup. If it frustrates me, how do you think his teammates feel?
Yup on this one as well..
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:42 PM   #21
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,282
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick008 View Post
Honestly, what I hope is that this is a wake up call to Manek that offense isn’t going to be enough to keep him on the floor all the time anymore. IMO it’s his effort on a consistent basis that hurts him on the defensive end. I think at this point he understands how the game works but it’s been a while since he’s had that guy pushing for playing time behind him. This team has shown they have what it takes to be competitive and win games without his offense and even Lon started to show a game or two before Manek went out that in the middle and even near the end of games that Manek will be on the bench for better defensive options. IF he would play hard consistently on both ends (see the WV game) he could help this team more than hurt it on both ends. The problem with this, is at this point in his career, it’s sometimes hard for a player to swallow that they need to start playing harder all the time....some players have too big of an ego to change what they are doing at this point and they just fade off into the sunset. Lets hope he chooses to play harder to stay on the court and help this team continue to take the next step.
Lon isn’t benching him after he’s ready to return... there is one thing Lon is and that’s loyal to a fault sometimes
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #22
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,220
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
Lon isn’t benching him after he’s ready to return... there is one thing Lon is and that’s loyal to a fault sometimes
Lon adjusts minutes and rotations frequently depending on how guys are playing. Of course he isn’t going to glue Brady to the bench for 40 minutes a night, but he already sat him down the stretch in a tight game against Tech. If he keeps playing poorly when he returns, the minutes will be down. Maybe not as much as some of us would like, but they will be down.

My hope is that if/when we are back to full strength, the team as a whole doesn’t lose the defensive focus they’ve shown the past two games. As for Manek, he needs to become a tougher, more consistent competitor at both ends of the floor. Seniors shouldn’t let their shooting affect their overall game.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:02 PM   #23
lexusooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 204
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

If Brady doesn’t turn up the heat on the defensive end and put more effort into rebounding he’s a liability to the team.
The team has been tough to score on without him in the line-up.

If he sees what the rest of the world sees it may inspire him to be a more productive defender/rebounder
lexusooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #24
skyvue
Final Four
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,470
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Brady currently is averaging 4.4 rebounds per game. How many should he be getting? (Serious question.)
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #25
pnkranger
All-American
 
pnkranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,579
Default Re: We’re a lot better defensively w/out Manek

Whoever said that this has everything to do with Kuath playing the 5 is 100% correct. Brady can guard the 5 spot consistently. He can't guard the more athletic power forward in the league.

He got worked over by Matthew Mayer, West Virginia's frontcourt gave him fits, he couldn't stop Santos-Silva ...Zach Freemantle for Xavier kicked his butt to the tune of a career-high 28 points.

Brady does not defend well in space. He does most everything else well on the basketball court, but that's a challenge for him.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com