ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 01-10-2021, 07:06 AM   #1
outest
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 288
Default Big man development

If Kuar outdueled Kansas big man, we would win the game at Kansas. Lon is really good at developing guard but not good at developing bigs. His bigs played at an average level. For the past few years, do you see any bigs that stand out. He need to hire an assistant that can develop big man. It is only then OU can be at or near the top of the conference.
outest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
NYC-Fool
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 211
Default Re: Big man development

Doolittle was very good and so was Spangler. But none of the long project bigs that Lon seems to love have not panned out.
NYC-Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #3
skyvue
Final Four
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,470
Default Re: Big man development

I think Kuath, a two-star recruit out of high school, has developed quite nicely. I hope he comes back for another year.
__________________
ďWhen most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.Ē
óDr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 4,535
Default Re: Big man development

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I think Kuath, a two-star recruit out of high school, has developed quite nicely. I hope he comes back for another year.
This times 100.



Also that KU big man was a mcdaa. He was an elite recruit.
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,062
Default Re: Big man development

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-Fool View Post
Doolittle was very good and so was Spangler. But none of the long project bigs that Lon seems to love have not panned out.
Doolittle and Spangler were definitely on the level of the Big 12ís best bigs. I think Kur has the potential to be if he had more time. He has come a long way since last year when he looked lost sometimes. If he comes back next year (and I hope he will), I think he has a chance to be really good.

I agree with you that the majority of project bigs weíve had in the last four or five years have been a disappointment. Lon was a guard, so I donít expect him to relate to a big manís game the way someone who played the position might do. Someone on the staff now (Iím betting itís Molinari) seems to be doing a good job with Kur.

But one assistant coach is not enough to tutor the steady stream of big man projects weíve seen in the last few years. Maybe one or more of our former players would be willing to get involved as volunteers if asked? Lon appears to have a good relationship with a number of them.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:14 AM   #6
Sooner Season
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 144
Default Re: Big man development

I know easier said than done, but how about recruiting somebody who doesn't have to "develop" to even have a chance to step on the floor? The philosophy of recruiting project big men has failed miserably, the most recent examples being Merritt, Issanza and Garang. I know everybody wants and needs big men but there is no reason we can't get at least a contributor there.
Sooner Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:27 AM   #7
steverocks35
Elite Eight
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,758
Default Re: Big man development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Season View Post
I know easier said than done, but how about recruiting somebody who doesn't have to "develop" to even have a chance to step on the floor? The philosophy of recruiting project big men has failed miserably, the most recent examples being Merritt, Issanza and Garang. I know everybody wants and needs big men but there is no reason we can't get at least a contributor there.

Agreed, and if Kuath didn't have an NBA body he wouldn't be on the floor. He doesn't have any post moves and he still gets lost on D. Don't get me wrong, he's still a disruptor and he is developing a jumpshot. We need him out there. But it's not like he's able to catch the ball with his back to the basket and do anything with it.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #8
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,062
Default Re: Big man development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Season View Post
I know easier said than done, but how about recruiting somebody who doesn't have to "develop" to even have a chance to step on the floor? The philosophy of recruiting project big men has failed miserably, the most recent examples being Merritt, Issanza and Garang. I know everybody wants and needs big men but there is no reason we can't get at least a contributor there.
Donít forget about another project disappointment, Hannas Polla.

But, to be fair, the jury is still out on Issanza and Garang. Theyíre both freshmen with plenty of time to develop their game. Garang at 6í 9Ē 205 is reportedly a good shooter from the perimeter. Issanaza at 7í 1Ē 245 has the size to really help us inside at some point.

I think we were all hoping to see them on the floor this season. Yet, in mentioning them on another thread, I didnít mean to paint them with the same brush as Merritt and Polla. Iím still optimistic that they will develop into solid contributors before theyíre through.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #9
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,220
Default Re: Big man development

One of the dumbest things is when posters say Lon is a garbage coach because he canít recruit AND canít develop players. If he sucks at both major roles of being a coach, how exactly do we end up having more consistent success than 90 percent of programs?
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:13 PM   #10
Sooner Season
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 144
Default Re: Big man development

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Donít forget about another project disappointment, Hannas Polla.

But, to be fair, the jury is still out on Issanza and Garang. Theyíre both freshmen with plenty of time to develop their game. Garang at 6í 9Ē 205 is reportedly a good shooter from the perimeter. Issanaza at 7í 1Ē 245 has the size to really help us inside at some point.

I think we were all hoping to see them on the floor this season. Yet, in mentioning them on another thread, I didnít mean to paint them with the same brush as Merritt and Polla. Iím still optimistic that they will develop into solid contributors before theyíre through.
Thanks for the Polla reminder......or maybe darn you for the Polla reminder!

I don't know enough about Garang or Issanza to say what they might become, I just know after a redshirt year in the program at a time (Saturday) when we needed someone to step up and just give us a few good minutes they couldn't help us at all. I will say his one or two minutes on the floor Saturday did nothing to make me think Issanza will be a player.
Sooner Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #11
CoachTalk
National Champion
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,935
Default Re: Big man development

I think youll see the International project big man come to an end. That was more of a Crutchfield thing.

Not saying they wont take a flyer on a freak athlete but I think it could be less than normal.

I tend to agree, give me regional 4 year hard nosed worker and take my chances.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:01 PM   #12
TINY
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,037
Default Re: Big man development

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
One of the dumbest things is when posters say Lon is a garbage coach because he canít recruit AND canít develop players. If he sucks at both major roles of being a coach, how exactly do we end up having more consistent success than 90 percent of programs?
Itís due to the unparalleled fan support obviously.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #13
thewez
Walk-on
 
thewez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KC, Missouri
Posts: 274
Default Re: Big man development

Kur looked pretty good last night!
thewez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:58 AM   #14
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,011
Default Re: Big man development

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewez View Post
Kur looked pretty good last night!
Has improved tremendously from last year. Especially foot speed, better hedge to recovery, & being in the right position.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com