ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 01-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #151
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Default Re: GAME Thread WVU Jan 2nd

Doubling the post did way more good than harm. Most of their 3s were contested. 2 were because somehow someone didn’t know who they were guarding & a lot of the others were because Reaves was running through 2-3 screens & nobody was bumping Sherman. Bridges & Matthews making those shots was just them feeding off of momentum. Look what Alabama did to Tennessee yesterday, sometimes teams go crazy for stretches.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:04 PM   #152
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
True. But, when it was obvious early on Culver would have his way inside, I thought Lonís decision to double down on him was a good one. Unfortunately, that left someone open on the perimeter and WVUís shooters made us pay, especially in the second half.
oh I agree...just saying that seems to be the MO, to double the post thus leaving someone on the wing open....hopefully Kur can step up a little more so we don't have to as much....against post players.

def rather have an open 3 taken than a power move inside...odds are less will be made (3's)...just seems not against us...
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #153
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
oh I agree...just saying that seems to be the MO, to double the post thus leaving someone on the wing open....hopefully Kur can step up a little more so we don't have to as much....against post players.

def rather have an open 3 taken than a power move inside...odds are less will be made (3's)...just seems not against us...
You are correct, of course. But to be honest, it doesnít seem to matter if we double down in the post, play man to man or a straight up zone. Sooner (no pun intended) or later, the teams we play find a way to get wide open shots from behind the arc.

If anyone out there knows why, please pass it on to Lon or a member of his staff.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:23 PM   #154
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post

I donít think Victor will give Kur his spot back. I think Victor gets better and better as the year goes on.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:59 PM   #155
Sooner04
All-Conference

Really nice win. Could not believe how poorly they played through most of the second half, but very nice to make the plays and shots late to seal the win.

We seem to play WVU well. Now, let's play well in Manhattan or Ames for a change.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:08 PM   #156
opsooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
You are correct, of course. But to be honest, it doesnít seem to matter if we double down in the post, play man to man or a straight up zone. Sooner (no pun intended) or later, the teams we play find a way to get wide open shots from behind the arc.

If anyone out there knows why, please pass it on to Lon or a member of his staff.

Yep. Culver missed a lot of minutes in the second half when they were draining 3s, many of which were not tightly contested. I have some sympathy for our team when the opponent has a decent big but I donít have any sympathy when they donít or when he is not in. We have guys with enough athletic talent to play solid perimeter D.

And especially when Kuath is in we should always make shooters beat us off the dribble and then
create havoc, IMO. There are a few players who can punish you for doing that but not nearly as many as those who can drain open 3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
opsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:05 AM   #157
OU92Grad
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
I donít think Victor will give Kur his spot back. I think Victor gets better and better as the year goes on.
I think Kur starts at Baylor. Wait and see
OU92Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:08 AM   #158
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU92Grad View Post
I think Kur starts at Baylor. Wait and see
I could see that with Baylor. Guess I meant over the next 2 months.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote