ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 01-24-2023, 09:36 AM   #26
steverocks35
Final Four
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,777
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
So if I complain about officiating, it means I believe there is a conspiracy? It couldn't just be that officiating in college basketball is teriible?

You are all over the place and full of incoherent talk
You don't know what the word "incoherent" means. I don't know why I interact with you.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:38 AM   #27
CoachTalk
National Champion
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,498
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
You don't know what the work "incoherent" means. I don't know why I interact with you.
"work" nice edit there... As you were on grammar police duty! LOL
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:39 AM   #28
steverocks35
Final Four
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,777
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
"work" nice edit there... As you were on grammar police duty! LOL


Oh no! There was a typo and I corrected it. That's hilarious!
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:44 AM   #29
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,105
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
dude why?
You are the most vain person i have encountered on a message board.
You probably have saved copies of all posts to bring back up years later to prove you were right about something on a message board
Says the man who 18 hours ago patted himself on the back for saying a couple months ago that you thought our best lineup would be with Los at the point and Grant at the two.

Again, the reason I brought up the call last night was to show that debatable calls happen in basically every game, and whichever team is on the wrong end of it always thinks they are getting screwed. Hell, KU twitter last night was full of fans complaining about how bad they were getting jobbed, which is as ironic as it gets. I just get tired of all the whining about officiating. This season seems to have gotten worse. If OU were to start a game by missing their first 20 shots and falling behind by 30 points, half he posts in the game thread would be commenting on the refs. There are times where virtually every call leads to complaints. I live in a town where the fan base is a joke because they seem to think WSU never fouls. It was especially bad when Marshall was here. I just don't like seeing our fans go down that path, because it is nothing more than excuse making.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:52 AM   #30
TINY
All-American
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,930
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
It's not a discrepancy. It's the result of a relatively unathletic team that seldom attacks the basket. The idea that there's some national officiating conspiracy against OU is just wacky.
The FTA should be much closer. You can call a foul every time down the court. Unfortunately, the whistles are consistently blowing against us and not our opponents.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:54 AM   #31
steverocks35
Final Four
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,777
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
The FTA should be much closer. You can call a foul every time down the court. Unfortunately, the whistles are consistently blowing against us and not our opponents.
And there's a reason for that, as I explained. We are unathletic and don't attack the basket nearly as much as the teams we play. It's not because the refs don't like us or there's some conspiracy to help every team we play.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:57 AM   #32
BCSooners
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,655
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by opsooner View Post
Huh? Iím simply asking for a rules clarification and made no judgement on whether the call in our game was right or wrong. I was just using the play in our game as reference to the play that Wichita raised because I was confused by it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I meant to tag Wichita's post, not yours. I'm sorry, late night drinking regrets.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:03 AM   #33
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,454
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Says the man who 18 hours ago patted himself on the back for saying a couple months ago that you thought our best lineup would be with Los at the point and Grant at the two.
touche
Quote:
Again, the reason I brought up the call last night was to show that debatable calls happen in basically every game, and whichever team is on the wrong end of it always thinks they are getting screwed. Hell, KU twitter last night was full of fans complaining about how bad they were getting jobbed, which is as ironic as it gets. I just get tired of all the whining about officiating. This season seems to have gotten worse. If OU were to start a game by missing their first 20 shots and falling behind by 30 points, half he posts in the game thread would be commenting on the refs. There are times where virtually every call leads to complaints. I live in a town where the fan base is a joke because they seem to think WSU never fouls. It was especially bad when Marshall was here. I just don't like seeing our fans go down that path, because it is nothing more than excuse making.
then stop visiting the game threads
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:05 AM   #34
TINY
All-American
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,930
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
And there's a reason for that, as I explained. We are unathletic and don't attack the basket nearly as much as the teams we play. It's not because the refs don't like us or there's some conspiracy to help every team we play.
That might explain a ~5 FT/game average differential but not 10/game. The coach, announcers, and fans are rightly calling out the egregious discrepancy. Your opinion is in the minority.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:15 AM   #35
steverocks35
Final Four
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,777
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
That might explain a ~5 FT/game average differential but not 10/game. The coach, announcers, and fans are rightly calling out the egregious discrepancy. Your opinion is in the minority.
So there must be one of two things happening then if you're correct:

1. Something nefarious is going on. For this to be true you have to believe that there is a vast conspiracy against OU (and possibly Texas) because, I presume, they're leaving the Big 12? It's weird because lots of schools have left lots of conferences. I don't know why this would cause this reaction. You would also have to believe that it would be kept a secret even though literally dozens of people would have to be in on it.

2. The officiating is just terrible. Well, if the officiating is terrible then it's terrible both ways. You would STILL have to believe that the officials are against us even if the officiating is terrible because it's ONLY terrible in the other team's favor.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:25 AM   #36
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 8,730
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
So there must be one of two things happening then if you're correct:

1. Something nefarious is going on. For this to be true you have to believe that there is a vast conspiracy against OU (and possibly Texas) because, I presume, they're leaving the Big 12? It's weird because lots of schools have left lots of conferences. I don't know why this would cause this reaction. You would also have to believe that it would be kept a secret even though literally dozens of people would have to be in on it.

2. The officiating is just terrible. Well, if the officiating is terrible then it's terrible both ways. You would STILL have to believe that the officials are against us even if the officiating is terrible because it's ONLY terrible in the other team's favor.
can you explain the holding calls against texas and oklahoma opponents this season
BoulderSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:32 AM   #37
steverocks35
Final Four
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,777
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
can you explain the holding calls against texas and oklahoma opponents this season
Ah, I see you're in the vast conspiracy camp
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:35 AM   #38
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,454
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
Ah, I see you're in the vast conspiracy camp
in football, there is 100% a conspiracy against the teams leaving the conference. The conference will do everything it can to make sure ou/tex don't win the trophy again

People were saying this as soon as the move to the sec was announced. it was expected and obvious
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:36 AM   #39
steverocks35
Final Four
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,777
Default Re: Fouls

Lmao, West Virginia led the Big 12 in holding calls this year. THE BIG 12 CLEARLY HATES WEST VIRGINIA!
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:43 AM   #40
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,105
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
So there must be one of two things happening then if you're correct:

1. Something nefarious is going on. For this to be true you have to believe that there is a vast conspiracy against OU (and possibly Texas) because, I presume, they're leaving the Big 12? It's weird because lots of schools have left lots of conferences. I don't know why this would cause this reaction. You would also have to believe that it would be kept a secret even though literally dozens of people would have to be in on it.

2. The officiating is just terrible. Well, if the officiating is terrible then it's terrible both ways. You would STILL have to believe that the officials are against us even if the officiating is terrible because it's ONLY terrible in the other team's favor.
That's a good point. Conference realignment has been happening at a rapid pace, and OU and Texas are far from the only schools leaving conferences for what they consider to be greener pastures. I guess Houston, UCLA, USC, UCF, BYU, Cincy, etc., are also likely getting jobbed this season, and plenty of other schools have been recently. All by a bunch of refs who aren't affiliated with any conference. I'm sure refs go to bed at night dreaming of ways they can defend the Big 12's honor against OU and Texas.

Here is an interesting fact: KU has shot fewer FTs than their opponents this season, as their fans have been quick to note at every opportunity.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:56 AM   #41
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,454
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
Lmao, West Virginia led the Big 12 in holding calls this year. THE BIG 12 CLEARLY HATES WEST VIRGINIA!
You are full of logical fallacies today. Might be time to take a break
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:59 AM   #42
TINY
All-American
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,930
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
2. The officiating is just terrible. Well, if the officiating is terrible then it's terrible both ways. You would STILL have to believe that the officials are against us even if the officiating is terrible because it's ONLY terrible in the other team's favor.
Why does the officiating have to be poor both ways?

Option 3. Ou has been victim of incompetent officiating disproportionately to their opponents, and it has resulted in losses that should have been wins (ku, isu).

Last edited by TINY; 01-24-2023 at 11:07 AM.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:59 AM   #43
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,454
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
That's a good point. Conference realignment has been happening at a rapid pace, and OU and Texas are far from the only schools leaving conferences for what they consider to be greener pastures. I guess Houston, UCLA, USC, UCF, BYU, Cincy, etc., are also likely getting jobbed this season, and plenty of other schools have been recently. All by a bunch of refs who aren't affiliated with any conference. I'm sure refs go to bed at night dreaming of ways they can defend the Big 12's honor against OU and Texas.

Here is an interesting fact: KU has shot fewer FTs than their opponents this season, as their fans have been quick to note at every opportunity.
LOL. OU and Tex are BY FAR the biggest names to move conferences. And the way they did it put a huge target on them by the conference. These 2 teams leaving the big 12 declines the value of the conference substantially. Trying to compare OU and texas leaving the big 12 to those other teams leaving is hilarious. USC and UCLA are big names and that will hurt the PAC but it also just happened. We will see how the PAC treats them in the coming years before the move. It also is rare I believe to have 2 teams being lame ducks for 3+ years waiting to move. Teh big 12 has to do all it can to protect the conference and propping up the remaining teams is good for it's image. That is why I didn't get too upset with the football screw jobs the last couple years. I knew it was coming and I understand it
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:06 AM   #44
steverocks35
Final Four
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,777
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
You are full of logical fallacies today. Might be time to take a break
The logical fallacy here is that there must be a conspiracy against us because of one cherry-picked statistic. I am taking that fallacy to its logical conclusion to show how ridiculous it is.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:06 AM   #45
stormspencer
Elite Eight
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 5,111
Default Re: Fouls

Intereresting thread

I believe a component of being on the short end of getting calls and getting to the FT line is our style. We play a halfcourt system that emphasizes getting shooters open and/or getting a good look inside the paint. I would prefer that we would increase the frequency in which we go to the basket....that would help get us a few more calls. Also, we rarely if ever force transition. We may have a few 2on2 or 3on3 sequences per game and we almost always choose to pull the ball back out instead of attacking. If we attacked more, it's virtually guaranteed we would get a few more calls, but that goes with the caveat of missing at the rim and it going the other way quickly.

In the halfcourt, I think it's reasonable to believe you're not going to get as many fouls called in your favor unless you are a good to great rebounding team.....and get some fouls on putbacks. We are the opposite of a great offensive rebounding team....by choice albeit.

In summary, I believe it's more a matter of style that leads to the foul/FT discrepancy for us. I can also concede the refs have missed a few calls that would have benefitted us for sure. But I'm not a fan of the constant chirping that we are somehow getting screwed when we have the ability to control some of the "controllables".
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:07 AM   #46
steverocks35
Final Four
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,777
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Why does the officiating have to be poor both ways?

Option 3. Ou has been victim of incompetent officiating disproportionately to their opponents, and it has resulted in losses that should have been wins.
Because that makes no sense. Incompetence doesnít apply to one side and not the other.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:10 AM   #47
steverocks35
Final Four
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,777
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
Intereresting thread

I believe a component of being on the short end of getting calls and getting to the FT line is our style. We play a halfcourt system that emphasizes getting shooters open and/or getting a good look inside the paint. I would prefer that we would increase the frequency in which we go to the basket....that would help get us a few more calls. Also, we rarely if ever force transition. We may have a few 2on2 or 3on3 sequences per game and we almost always choose to pull the ball back out instead of attacking. If we attacked more, it's virtually guaranteed we would get a few more calls, but that goes with the caveat of missing at the rim and it going the other way quickly.

In the halfcourt, I think it's reasonable to believe you're not going to get as many fouls called in your favor unless you are a good to great rebounding team.....and get some fouls on putbacks. We are the opposite of a great offensive rebounding team....by choice albeit.

In summary, I believe it's more a matter of style that leads to the foul/FT discrepancy for us. I can also concede the refs have missed a few calls that would have benefitted us for sure. But I'm not a fan of the constant chirping that we are somehow getting screwed when we have the ability to control some of the "controllables".
Yes
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:13 AM   #48
TINY
All-American
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,930
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
The logical fallacy here is that there must be a conspiracy against us because of one cherry-picked statistic. I am taking that fallacy to its logical conclusion to show how ridiculous it is.
Your hubris knows no bounds.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:13 AM   #49
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,105
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
LOL. OU and Tex are BY FAR the biggest names to move conferences. And the way they did it put a huge target on them by the conference. These 2 teams leaving the big 12 declines the value of the conference substantially. Trying to compare OU and texas leaving the big 12 to those other teams leaving is hilarious. USC and UCLA are big names and that will hurt the PAC but it also just happened. We will see how the PAC treats them in the coming years before the move. It also is rare I believe to have 2 teams being lame ducks for 3+ years waiting to move. Teh big 12 has to do all it can to protect the conference and propping up the remaining teams is good for it's image. That is why I didn't get too upset with the football screw jobs the last couple years. I knew it was coming and I understand it
USC an UCLA are every bit as important to the PAC. And the AAC is basically being completely gutted by losing three teams. If any conference had a reason to hold a grudge, it's them. The other thing that never makes sense to me -- the conference benefits when its teams make the playoff, and until TCU made its shocking run this year, OU was always seen as the conference's best chance of making it (and earning the league money). Would they really be so pissed that they would hurt their chances of milking OU for every possible dime?

I don't deny that the conference higherups are pissed at OU and Texas, as are the other schools. I just don't think it leads to officiating conspiracies.

And I absolutely disagree with any suggestion that officiating has cost us wins this season in basketball. The ISU shot that went out of bounds was an awful call that happened in the first half. Most of our late game collapses have involved very few free throws by the other teams -- instead, teams are scoring at will from the field, while we aren't scoring at all. Even in the game at Lawrence, for as many FTs as KU shot in the first 15 minutes of the second half, their comeback involved no FTs. They had already taken the lead before we fouled on purpose a couple times in the last 30 seconds.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:15 AM   #50
steverocks35
Final Four
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,777
Default Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Your hubris knows no bounds.
Um, okay?
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com