ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 01-13-2023, 02:57 PM   #1
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Default OU Sports Talk

Porter Moser was on OU Sports Talk last night. Toby asked him what we could do about the free throw discrepancy since the conference games have started. FYI, prior to conference play, we were one of the teams that was called for the fewest number of fouls. Since conference play started, our opponents have shot a total of 96 free throws. We have shot 49. Moser said we need to look at film and see what we need to improve on in that area and try to make those improvements. Then he said, "Other groups need to do the same." More tactful than what Billy Tubbs might have said but the point was made.

I'm not under any illusion that it's going to get any better, but I was happy to see him address it.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:12 PM   #2
TINY
All-American

Default Re: OU Sports Talk

Moser is all class, just like Lon.

There is no doubt that we are getting shafting by the zebras. Crazy to think that we still could have won every game.
TINY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 05:51 AM   #3
WaymanFan
Administrator

96 - 49...and yet we have been in every game until the final seconds. Once we get to the SEC, I'm betting that by miracle this ridiculous discrepancy narrows drastically.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:46 AM   #4
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
96 - 49...and yet we have been in every game until the final seconds. Once we get to the SEC, I'm betting that by miracle this ridiculous discrepancy narrows drastically.
Again, please explain why refs who donít work for the Big 12 would care one bit which conference we are in? Also, the OP says we were getting called for very few fouls in nonconference. So does that mean they were biased in our favor a month ago? Itís a four game sample. Letís see what the numbers are like in another month.

But I am guess the theory is that, say, John Higgins is working one of our games. Even though he isnít employed by the Big 12, and is also reffing SEC games, he is so offended by our decision to change leagues that he is out to get us? But he will no longer feel that way once the move has happened?

I donít believe in conspiracy theories, but at least there is some logic to it when it comes to sports where the officials work for a specific conference.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 11:32 AM   #5
skyvue
National Champion

I don't know what to attribute the disparity to--I don't think the officials would care one way or the other that we're leaving the conference--but I know what I've seen: inept, one-sided officiating that has definitely impacted our games. Both of Tanner's first two fouls today were bogus, and I'm glad Coach Moser let the officials have it.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:29 PM   #6
WaymanFan
Administrator

There is something to be said about a timely and calculated technical foul. I honestly believe OU would have lost today if Moser didn't get T'd up. The officials are human. I mentioned in another thread that after the most famous technical foul in the history of OU basketball, 8 of the next 9 fouls were called against the opposition.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:34 PM   #7
TINY
All-American

Quote:
There is something to be said about a timely and calculated technical foul. I honestly believe OU would have lost today if Moser didn't get T'd up. The officials are human. I mentioned in another thread that after the most famous technical foul in the history of OU basketball, 8 of the next 9 fouls were called against the opposition.
I absolutely loved it! Way to go, Coach!
TINY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:38 PM   #8
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
very much agreed great T from Porter
BoulderSooner is online now   Reply With Quote