ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 06-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #1
psk2080
Walk-on

Default 3-point line extension and other rule changes

For discussion purposes: a link to some of the rule changes for the upcoming year, including the 3-point line being extended to the international distance.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...-international
psk2080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
sperry
All-American

Default Re: 3-point line extension and other rule changes

This is not a good change. It helps the Dukes, Kentucky's of the world at the expense of everyone else.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
Chiefdaddy
Walk-on

I love it. It's about time.
Chiefdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefdaddy View Post
I love it. It's about time.
Agree. The college game needs to get in line with the international game in just about every respect.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
This is not a good change. It helps the Dukes, Kentucky's of the world at the expense of everyone else.
Because only they get the players capable of covering that much space and shooting from that distance?
Old 06-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Because only they get the players capable of covering that much space and shooting from that distance?
Yeah, if anything, "smaller" programs are the ones who tend to shoot the three better. Duke was an awful perimeter shooting team this season, and I don't remember many years where they, UK, UNC, KU, etc., won because they were lights out from three.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #7
thebigabd
National Champion

I wonder how this changes the role of rebounders, big guys, etc? Any impact? We only talk about shooting.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
Max Power
Elite Eight

They just took the one thing smaller schools used as an equalizer and made it harder.

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #9
WichitaSooner
Starter

This isn't about big schools or small schools, it's about improving the quality of the sport. To the extent it favors any one style of play as a byproduct, it will be the best shooting teams because they'll be better capable of making the longer shot. Think of the NBA...deepest line in the world and no coincidence that threes are more important there than anywhere.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Yeah, if anything, "smaller" programs are the ones who tend to shoot the three better. Duke was an awful perimeter shooting team this season, and I don't remember many years where they, UK, UNC, KU, etc., won because they were lights out from three.
I think that's his point. The three point line being further out makes three pointers less valuable, thus teams that rely on the 3 pointer are more affected.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #11
tooney
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I think that's his point. The three point line being further out makes three pointers less valuable, thus teams that rely on the 3 pointer are more affected.
That's my thinking too......I think they should leave the line where it's at.....why move it back to where only the elite teams get guys that can shoot (and make it) from there???
Old 06-05-2019, 10:48 PM   #12
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
That's a reasonable take but I just draw the opposite conclusion. I think that the harder the shot is, the more it benefits the teams with good enough shooters to still make it. Teams aren't going to decrease their attempts, just like they didn't decrease 10 years ago. So there will be greater separation between the good and bad shooting teams. But honestly, I think it won't make a big difference in that regard. Now I just wish they'd go to four quarters with the bonus at five fouls in each quarter!
Old 06-06-2019, 05:46 AM   #13
WTSooner
National Champion

The game didn't improve that last time they tried this.

I'm not a fan. They need to quit making the changes that never really have the impact they seem to suggest it will.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:09 AM   #14
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
this change makes the ability to shoot the 3 even more valueable ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:54 AM   #15
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

there isn't a huge different b/t the international and the college line. i don't think we will see much of an effect.
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #16
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
this change makes the ability to shoot the 3 even more valueable ..
How?
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #17
SuperHoops
Role Player

Did Trae ever shoot a 3 that wouldn't have been behind the international line?
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #18
globecode
Walk-on

The interesting thing with this change to me is spacing. Especially since teams tend to gravitate their offense to the 3pt line. Starting and running sets based off the 3pt line.

With the line moving back 1.3 ft that means more spacing on the court. Man teams will tend to guard farther out. Zone teams will to cover more space. Being able to keep proper spacing will become more important IMO.

It would allow Doolittle more space to maneuver in the midpost, make it harder to hedge and return on a shooter like Manek.

LK's NBA experience has to help OU in this regard.
globecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #19
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by globecode View Post
The interesting thing with this change to me is spacing. Especially since teams tend to gravitate their offense to the 3pt line. Starting and running sets based off the 3pt line.

With the line moving back 1.3 ft that means more spacing on the court. Man teams will tend to guard farther out. Zone teams will to cover more space. Being able to keep proper spacing will become more important IMO.

It would allow Doolittle more space to maneuver in the midpost, make it harder to hedge and return on a shooter like Manek.

Very good summary, and precisely why they did it.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #20
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by globecode View Post

I think this is where we will see the biggest adjustments for certain teams. Specifically, teams that run a zone as their base defense (Cuse, Baylor, etc.) will now have now to account for shooters that are even more spaced out. Translation, all things being equal.....you will likely get even more open looks against teams that play zone. And I'm not just talking about open 3s. The lane will be less congested and teams that have decent mid-range shooters can exploit this as well. This change has the potential to help a guy like Doolittle immensely.

The downside is that as you move the line back, you will see a slight downturn in shooting %.....making rebounding a bit more of a premium as well.
stormspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #21
Zimwillett
Role Player

If the goal really is to open up the lane and improve spacing, moving the 3 point line back might help, but in my opinion, there are better, more immediate fixes. I think the better solutions would be:

1. Expand the restricted circle under the basket and tighten up offensive charging calls;

2. Widen the lane. It doesn't even have to go all the way to 16 ft like NBA/FIBA, but a 12 foot lane is just too tight for athletes at this level; and/or

3. Actually stick with the "freedom of movement" principles that were supposed to have been implemented a few years back.

I'm not necessarily opposed to moving the 3 pt line back, but given the stated goals, I think those are better solutions.

Last edited by Zimwillett; 06-06-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Zimwillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #22
Sooner04
All-Conference

I'm all for this. Anything that can get the game away from the cavalcade of charge/block calls.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #23
sperry
All-American

It doesn't mean more spacing. If teams wanted more spacing, they could have moved their wings 1.3 feet back on every play. All it means is it prices a lot of marginal shooters out of 3 point ability. A guy like Doolittle, who I had hoped would shoot more 3s next year, is now likely to repeat last season and not take any. It makes things a lot iffier for a guy like Bienemy. Reaves will be even more important next year, as he's a guy with legit range from anywhere.

This does not help a team like OU; it helps the Duke's and Kentucky's and Kansas's of the world who can recruit guys with elite size and athleticism. 3 pointers were the equalizer that make posting up and midrange shots less important. Making that difficult only helps the teams that can recruit at an elite level. Which I'm sure is what they want with teams like Duke and Kentucky having a lot of early exits because they can't shoot.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #24
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
It doesn't mean more spacing. If teams wanted more spacing, they could have moved their wings 1.3 feet back on every play. All it means is it prices a lot of marginal shooters out of 3 point ability. A guy like Doolittle, who I had hoped would shoot more 3s next year, is now likely to repeat last season and not take any. It makes things a lot iffier for a guy like Bienemy. Reaves will be even more important next year, as he's a guy with legit range from anywhere.

This does not help a team like OU; it helps the Duke's and Kentucky's and Kansas's of the world who can recruit guys with elite size and athleticism. 3 pointers were the equalizer that make posting up and midrange shots less important. Making that difficult only helps the teams that can recruit at an elite level. Which I'm sure is what they want with teams like Duke and Kentucky having a lot of early exits because they can't shoot.
I agree with this.

And I'll add, they've made changes before (moved the line back, added the arc), and it never makes a noticeable difference. This won't either. And like sperry says, it'll hurt the little guys.

Bad move all around.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #25
mict085
Role Player

I like the rule change and think it will help the game. The college game should follow the international game in that respect.

Now, can they eliminate zone defenses please?
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote