ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 03-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Default 19-20 Starting 5

List who you think. Starting season. Starting conference.

Season:

Bloom
Williams
Scott
Llanusa
Mercer

Conference:

Same
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Mac
Administrator

Default Re: 19-20 Starting 5

I think we have to wait and see who if anyone is added, and if anyone else will leave, but as it stands I think
Mandy
Madi
Ana
Taylor
Jessi will start the season, maybe bloom or Scott can move into the starting center spot by conference play, and Tatum might make a push for the starting point guard spot...
Old 03-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Thanks for the feedback, Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
soonermike22
Walk-on

from this years play you have to think at the start of the season we start
Jessi Murcer
Ana L
Madi Williams
Taylor R
and for height, Bloom

As the year progresses, Liz Scott over Taylor
Playing time for Lydia, Mandy, Gabby, Tatum and I hope the 6" 5" transfer from who the heck knows
soonermike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
atlantasooner
All-Conference

The starting five is not usually the biggest problem.
It's when OU has to go to the bench they have no big 12 caliber players
in any numbers.
Robertson/Gregory would at least provide shooters
Lampkin some post depth
Tatum combo guard
Simpson I don't know. She's a veteran but right now she's not a big 12 4 or 5.
atlantasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #6
22dupree
Walk-on

If anyone has seen Liz Scott ... how does she compare to Madi Williams?
Are her skills similar or might she provide a compliment to what Madi brings? Thanks in advance.
22dupree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
Soonerbay
Role Player

Hopefully they can find at least one post player from the JC ranks to join them in the fall, but most of the top post with height, strength and skill are already gone. Most coaches started recruiting them in high school and followed the JC careers.

Anyway you twist next season's lineup, it still adds up to limited experience and skill. The newbies will need to acclimate to college/Big XII play. I expect them to do slightly better than this year. Then there is the new assistant coach aspect that has to be considered.
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22dupree View Post
If anyone has seen Liz Scott ... how does she compare to Madi Williams?
Are her skills similar or might she provide a compliment to what Madi brings? Thanks in advance.
Similar in that they both could be undersized post, but I would say Scott plays with a little bit of nasty to her game, likes to get the rebound and go not a lot of shooting but she does have a bigger body... she should be able to handle big 12 post play? But coming back from a ACL won’t be easy... if she’s listed at 6’2 she will probably play center at OU.

http://l.hudl.com/profile/6741819/Elizabeth-Scott
Old 03-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Instead of Bloom? Interesting. I thought for sure Bloom would be in the middle, even if it's only by an inch or two.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #10
soonerstar
All-Conference

Does anyone that has seen GG play expect her to start and/or get significant playing time next year?
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #11
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Instead of Bloom? Interesting. I thought for sure Bloom would be in the middle, even if it's only by an inch or two.
What I have seen of Bloom in the very early pre-game shoot around Bloom like to shoot from the corner to the wing and does so very well. Have not seen her practice shots with back to the basket or inside 7'. I don't see her as a back to the basket 5. But warm-ups are not a good sample of what she can and likes t do. JMHO.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #12
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
What I have seen of Bloom in the very early pre-game shoot around Bloom like to shoot from the corner to the wing and does so very well. Have not seen her practice shots with back to the basket or inside 7'. I don't see her as a back to the basket 5. But warm-ups are not a good sample of what she can and likes t do. JMHO.
So, she's a stretch 4. That's tremendous. Her and Williams on the wings popping them in like mad is perfectly fine with me, especially with Robertson an, maybe Gregory, popping them from behind the arc along with Llanusa.

But that means we still need a quality 5 -- maybe two.

So do we have a chance of signing? Like someone said, most of the good 5s are already gone. Please don't tell me we have to suffer with Simpson (bless her) in the middle.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:19 PM   #13
Leroy
Walk-on

Gregory is better than Robertson and much more athletic. She is a complete player that can pass and rebound not a one trick pony like Robertson. She can guard and makes other players better instead of just running around looking for a shot. By conference play, if she plays the same position as Robertson, Gabby should be starting.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #14
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
Gregory is better than Robertson and much more athletic. She is a complete player that can pass and rebound not a one trick pony like Robertson. She can guard and makes other players better instead of just running around looking for a shot. By conference play, if she plays the same position as Robertson, Gabby should be starting.
I agree. She's legit. She reminds me of Whitney hand, maybe Caton Hill a bit as well. hopefully she's just as good in college as she is in her highlights. We know Lampkin and Veitenheimer definitely were not! I see promise in Lampkin coming in as a sophomore with more confidence. Not so sure about TV..
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #15
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

Not ready to write Robertson off. She had the best basketball IQ on the team this year. By far the fewest turnovers and pretty solid rebounding and defense. Learned how to get her shots better as the season went on. I think Ana's emergence helped too.

When you have someone who shoots as well as Robertson you should be able to take advantage of the attention she is being paid.

We probably will have an abundance of guards next year. Gregory just adds to Ana, Murcer, Roberson and Tatum. Also if Scott turns out to be a strong 4 Madi Williams has to get her minutes. Sherri will have to develop solid rotations to get the best from them.

Won't count on the three freshmen until we see how they fare in a tough game. As fans we always overhype the incoming players but until we get a top 10 player you probably have players who will take some seasoning.

We still don't have answers inside. Lampkin will probably be better and Bloom and Scott may contribute but nothing is certain.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #16
GoWarriors
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Similar in that they both could be undersized post, but I would say Scott plays with a little bit of nasty to her game, likes to get the rebound and go not a lot of shooting but she does have a bigger body... she should be able to handle big 12 post play? But coming back from a ACL won’t be easy... if she’s listed at 6’2 she will probably play center at OU.

http://l.hudl.com/profile/6741819/Elizabeth-Scott
Liz is very much the same player as Maddi. She's really 5-10 to 5-11, not anywhere close to 6-2--High motor like Maddi, plays same position. Nancy would have started every game this season for OU. She played high post at Rice because that's the sets they run. She can play in the Big 12 with the baby sky hook and can play "D" with shot blocking which OU really missed this year. She also runs the floor well. Tough loss for OU, losing her.
GoWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #17
SuperHoops
Role Player

Did Scott miss this season due to injury? That rumor has been floated on several occasions but no one actually had a link to anything to substantiate it.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #18
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

I thought she looked a lot shorter than what was listed.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #19
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Well Williams is legit 5'10, 5,11" tops as well. She's the same height as Ana. So I'm hoping Scott is at least as tall as Simpson who I think is a legitimate 6-foot maybe almost 6'1". God knows we need someone legitimately tall. I love how Tatum, Taylor and Jesse were all listed as five foot seven and they are all three noticeably different heights. I think Taylor is 5'9," TV 5'8" and Jess prob 5'6" at best. I think the only one of those incoming freshmen that were legitimately the height they are on the roster is Lampkin! We need legit height, not a 6'4" player on paper that's actually 6'1" on the court!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #20
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Yes, we do.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #21
Leroy
Walk-on

Sorry but Robertson is so unathletic. She can't guard anyone on this board and doesn't make many turnovers because when she touches the ball, she shoots.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:19 PM   #22
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
Sorry but Robertson is so unathletic. She can't guard anyone on this board and doesn't make many turnovers because when she touches the ball, she shoots.
Would probably be a perfect 6th man, but then someone will have to be a big time scorer in the starting line up, and since Williams has lost her Perimeter skills, gabby might have to help early or Taylor should remain a starter...
Old 03-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #23
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Agreed! I'm hoping that the freshman that come in this year are such good overall as players that it does bump Robertson to the sixth-man position. This would be a good thing.

Watching a lot of the NCAA tournament and just makes me sad. We have a Hall of Fame coach and we didn't field a team this year. Even watching UCLA vs Tennessee, two unranked teams mind you, and they would have both probably smoked our team. That's how bad our fundamentals were this year. it's hard for me to believe that the players came into the program with such bad fundamentals, I think that falls on the coaches and are a result of pure laziness and lack of discipline. I think this is already been established though. God I hope I'm not repeating this next season at this time!

I know both of their teams didn't get very far but at least Mulkey scored 18 points in her first round game and Dungee scored 37 and the razorbacks win in the wnit the other night. She would have been an amazing asset to our team IMO. I hope Gregory really comes through and helps Ana out this coming season. I put her in my starting lineup over robertson right now, along with Scott over Simpson.

Last edited by Soonerguy06; 03-23-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:58 PM   #24
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Been reading up on everyone still on roster and those coming in, transfers and juco. I am not certain at this point if Sherri signs another player, but I'd say if by June 15 we don't have someone else -- we aren't getting anyone else.

After significant deliberation...

I'm still sticking to my original 5

5-Bloom
4-Williams
3-Scott
2-Llanusa
1-Murcer

Robertson off bench1st for Scott or Williams
Gregory off bench 2nd for Scott
Simpson off bench for Bloom unless we sign a new big
Old 04-01-2019, 04:27 AM   #25
61sooner
Walk-on

Unless our players are tremendous athletes, like a Jackie Joyner playing for UCLA, how can OU compete with the tallest players being 6'1" or 6'2"?
Does Coales think OU is still playing 3 on each side of the court basketball?
She needs to retire to some private religious high school where they might value character over ability to play hoops. Colton can be the towel boy.
Is her salary really only 300K less than Sampson at Houston? What a joke.
61sooner is offline   Reply With Quote