ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 02-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #51
Eielson
Starter

Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Keep trying. Nothing like cropping off your block quote right before the part that shows what a clown you are. I don't know what's worse ... if you really believe what you are saying here, or if you just unwilling to admit that your initial theory on this topic has been blown out of the water.
I hate to break it to you, but your butchered attempt to compare this team to the New England Patriots didn't blow anything out of the water. Well, except maybe our confidence in your ability to make a legitimate comparison.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:20 AM   #52
WaymanFan
Administrator

Geez, guys, lighten up! Everyone on here is entitled to an opinion on whether this OU team is deserving and how many wins it takes. I have stated multiple times that 7-11 won't get us in, and I've come to realize that I will likely be wrong...doesn't make me or anyone else who agreed with me a bad fan unless one of us would rather be right than make the NCAA Tournament.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:01 AM   #53
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Geez, guys, lighten up! Everyone on here is entitled to an opinion on whether this OU team is deserving and how many wins it takes. I have stated multiple times that 7-11 won't get us in, and I've come to realize that I will likely be wrong...doesn't make me or anyone else who agreed with me a bad fan unless one of us would rather be right than make the NCAA Tournament.
I agree with you, you are entitled to your opinion, and you also show that you are willing to admit it when you realize you were wrong. I don't have any issue with people who do that. I do have an issue with people who constantly change their argument and who get off topic. If certain posters want to debate what the selection criteria SHOULD be, they should start a new thread and leave this one to those of us who want to discus the status of this year's bubble and how many more wins OU needs to be safe.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #54
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
I agree with you, you are entitled to your opinion, and you also show that you are willing to admit it when you realize you were wrong. I don't have any issue with people who do that. I do have an issue with people who constantly change their argument and who get off topic. If certain posters want to debate what the selection criteria SHOULD be, they should start a new thread and leave this one to those of us who want to discus the status of this year's bubble and how many more wins OU needs to be safe.
My first post in this thread was a response to you, so if we got off topic it's your doing. But that's not the issue. The issue is that you know that your Patriots argument was brutally flawed, and you can't defend the 7-9 Seahawks as deserving. I've mentioned it several times, yet you refuse to acknowledge it. Instead you just throw around personal insults and scream "IRRELEVANT" or "OFF-TOPIC (even though I'm the one that brought it up." With your type, that's as close to admitting defeat as you'll get. With that in mind, there's no need for this to go further.

But please feel free to resort to one of the tactics I mentioned above so I can get one more laugh. Have a wonderful day.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:58 AM   #55
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:
Or you could pick and choose which posts you elect to respond to.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #56
Hollisp
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
The loss doesn't necessarily hurt Texas, but blowing a big lead and then losing in OT when you had a great chance for a Quad-1 win really stings. The pitchforks and torches just hot a little hotter for Shaka.
Texas team has some serious talent and in typical Austin fashion they rarely live up to it. I agree Shaka has to start hearing whispers soon. I know Roach is suspended but still.

Lon justifiably gets heat for player development but Shaka has a lot more to work with.
Hollisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:32 AM   #57
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
My first post in this thread was a response to you, so if we got off topic it's your doing. But that's not the issue. The issue is that you know that your Patriots argument was brutally flawed, and you can't defend the 7-9 Seahawks as deserving. I've mentioned it several times, yet you refuse to acknowledge it. Instead you just throw around personal insults and scream "IRRELEVANT" or "OFF-TOPIC (even though I'm the one that brought it up." With your type, that's as close to admitting defeat as you'll get. With that in mind, there's no need for this to go further.

But please feel free to resort to one of the tactics I mentioned above so I can get one more laugh. Have a wonderful day.
You want a response? Ok, here it is -- yes, the Seahawks deserved to make the playoffs. Every team in the NFL goes into the season knowing that if you win your division, you make the playoffs regardless of record. That's the great things about sports, they have these things called scoreboards and standings. If you end up with more wins than the teams you are competing against, playing under a set of rules that everyone knew about in advance, you make the playoffs. If the league ever decides to change its system and make it so that the 6 teams with the best records make it, regardless of division affiliation, then the teams who meet that criterion would also be deserving. As long as the rules aren't changed midstream, it's fair to all involved because every team goes in knowing the system. Just like in college basketball, every team knows how important nonconference scheduling is. And every team in the country has known for multiple years now that conference record doesn't factor in to the process anymore. You and others can bit$h about that all you want, but it doesn't change the reality.

Also, speaking of flawed analogies, your Seahawks one takes the prize. To the extent anyone doesn't think they deserved it, the premise would be that they got lucky to make it by virtue of playing in a terrible division in which no one could finish better than 7-9. By comparison, OU is a team who will finish with a bad record in one of the best conferences in the country. It's not like we are talking about a team who is 5-10 in the Missouri Valley.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #58
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:

Let's fix your comparison. The 2010 Seattle Seahawks made it into the playoffs with a losing record (7-9) because the NFC West was historically bad that year. Did that Seahawks team deserve to be in the playoffs? I say no.
yes they did .. because getting into the NFL playoffs is 100% objective
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #59
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
No, it is not the topic of discussion. The discussion has been what OU needs to do in its remaining games to make the tournament. Those of us who analyzed all the projections and concluded that we need x-number of additional wins to make it never once speculated on whether that would have been enough in any previous year.

So, like conference record, record against teams in the top half of the league, whether Trae Young is on the roster, record against teams who primarily wear orange and are from east of the Mississippi River, etc., it is, by definition, not relevant in a discussion of what OU needs to do to make this year's field. if you want to have a philosophical debate about whether the criteria should be different, that's perfectly fine. It just shouldn't be used to support an argument about what needs to happen in the next two weeks for us to end up on the right side of the bubble on March 17.
so much this
Old 02-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #60
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollisp View Post
Goal post moving by this group is steeeerong. I’ve been wrong many many times in life. Prolly a lot more than most on here. It’s ok to say “oh I was wrong, or oh I was misinformed” but the changing narrative to win an online message board issue is bizarre to me.

Things I’ve been wrong about with OU basketball
-After his RS Frosh year: JA$ would be a fringe Big 12 POY by the time he left OU.
-Kruger would retire last year.
-Trae was def gonna stay 2 years bc he was unseasoned defensively.
-Blake would leave after 1 year
-I was the biggest fanboy of Capel even AFTER he got fired (def my worst take)

The list goes on.
i was very wrong about the move of Cousins to PG ..
Old 02-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #61
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Also, speaking of flawed analogies, your Seahawks one takes the prize. To the extent anyone doesn't think they deserved it, the premise would be that they got lucky to make it by virtue of playing in a terrible division in which no one could finish better than 7-9. By comparison, OU is a team who will finish with a bad record in one of the best conferences in the country. It's not like we are talking about a team who is 5-10 in the Missouri Valley.
As I stated in the original response, "All comparisons have flaws, but you missed the mark by a country mile on this one." I've already admitted my analogy is imperfect, but you can't even accurately critique my analogy. This 5-10 MVC talk is almost as ludicrous as your original analogy. The Seahawks went 4-2 in the NFC West, so maybe you should leave analogies alone from now on.

Also, saying this team is lucky but deserving of an NCAA Tournament bid is pretty much agreeing with those you're arguing with, so there's really no point in continuing. Nobody is saying the other equally bad bubble teams should get in above us. We've simply stated that this team is not of the same quality usually set forth for an NCAA tournament team. No team has ever gotten in at 6-12, so if that happens, it will no longer even be opinion.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #62
BCSooners
All-Conference

If OU gets in it will be because of their brutal schedule and winning enough games to prove they belong. The Seahawks & Patriots comparison don’t match up because the NFL criteria is different than the NFL. Seahawks would be a best team in a terrible conference getting the automatic bid.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #63
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
If OU gets in it will be because of their brutal schedule and winning enough games to prove they belong. The Seahawks & Patriots comparison don’t match up because the NFL criteria is different than the NFL. Seahawks would be a best team in a terrible conference getting the automatic bid.
THIS is an appropriate critique of the analogy. Well done.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #64
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
THIS is an appropriate critique of the analogy. Well done.
Man I'm jealous, one day I aspire to get your approval when it comes to analogies. You're the master, Socrates!
Old 02-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #65
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
i was very wrong about the move of Cousins to PG ..
Most of us were, right? That really worked out well.
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #66
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

St. John's lost at home to Xavier tonight.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #67
Soonerinkc
All-American

stating the obvious but if we can't win more than wv it won't mean jack...my opinion...
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:25 PM   #68
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
St. John's lost at home to Xavier tonight.
Bracket Matrix has them on the 9 line with us and Xavier is 83 in the Net. Isn't that a Quad 3 loss?

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:33 PM   #69
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Gar Heard View Post
Most of us were, right? That really worked out well.
I thought it was an awful move, and I'm honestly still a little confused by it. Even in his senior year, when I knew he was shooting >40% for his third consecutive year, I never felt like he was a great 3 point shooter. And there was something about the way he dribbled the ball that always made me uncomfortable. Despite the fact that I knew Woodard coughed it up just as much or more statistically, I always wanted the ball in Woodard's hands instead late in games.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:29 PM   #70
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Even in his senior year, when I knew he was shooting >40% for his third consecutive year, I never felt like he was a great 3 point shooter.
My head is spinning a little bit.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:32 PM   #71
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Bracket Matrix has them on the 9 line with us and Xavier is 83 in the Net. Isn't that a Quad 3 loss?
Yes, it is a Quad-3 loss for the time being. But Xavier has been on a tear the last two weeks with wins @Seton Hall, vs. Nova, and now @St Johns. They may crack the top 75 in the NET if they win this weekend.....and that would make it a Quad-2 loss in that case for St. Johns.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:52 PM   #72
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
My head is spinning a little bit.
His stroke wasn't half as pretty as Booker's. But it worked.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:36 AM   #73
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Arizona State blown out at Oregon late last night.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #74
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Quote:
Arizona State blown out at Oregon late last night.
Wow....I just saw the score to that. But as mediocre/bad as Oregon has been this year, that's still just a quad-1 loss for ASU.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #75
stormspencer
Sweet 16

I expect some bubble casualties this weekend. I've listed bubble teams playing this weekend from the 8/9 seed down:
Washington: @Stanford (tmrw)
Ole Miss: @Arkansas
Cuse: @ Wake
St. Johns: @Depaul (tmrw)
Ohio State: @Purdue
VCU: @ Richmond
Florida: Georgia
NC State: @Florida St.
Texas: Iowa St.
TCU: Texas Tech
UCF: @Houston
Arizona St: @Oregon State