ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 02-19-2019, 05:10 AM   #1
bluesooner17
Role Player

Default WBB Story

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...it/2908400002/
bluesooner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:36 AM   #2
sybarite
National Champion

Default Re: WBB Story

A bit of reality.

In 2018, Louisville was 5th in home attendance, 6th in overall attendance. OU was 27th and 19th.

Go back to 2014: Louisville was third. OU was thirteenth.

Go back to 2009: Louisville was tenth. OU was fourth.

Iowa State: 2009 third, 2014 second, 2018 third

Iowa State has been to two elite eights and three sweet sixteens. They have never won a Big Twelve title. Finished second three times and tied for second another time. Yet, they are constantly in the top five in attendance.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
Soonerbay
Role Player

Interesting story which goes to show that if the program is doing what it takes to have a consistently successful program, the seats will be filled and contributions will come in. It looks like Walz needs to try to get some endowments since he has a successful program. He recruits, strategically coaches (we've seen that first hand during the 2009 FF) and hires effective assistants.

OU's program landed a financial windfall with all 15 endowments funded between 2005-2007 at $200K per endowment. I'm sure the signing of some of the nations top recruits and winning consistently helped. IMO...it appears the program started coasting and sitting on their laurels after those endowments were funded. And that's sad.

The University of Oklahoma women's basketball program is making history this week by achieving a feat accomplished by only a few such programs in the nation - successful completion of a fund-raising campaign endowing all 15 scholarship positions.

"We began the endowment program in 2005 with a goal of creating a perpetual source of funding for our women's basketball program," said OU head coach Sherri Coale. "The full endowment of all 15 scholarships puts us in a position to achieve self-sufficiency, an accomplishment achieved by very few programs across the country."

In the span of only 30 months, Coale and company have completed the campaign, which endows each position with a $200,000 gift from OU alumni and friends.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=208402745
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
soonerstar
All-Conference

Those endowments were funded between the time the Paris twins signed their LOI and the beginning of their Junior year. Correlation?
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
Speedy17
Role Player

The irony is that Sherri has not had a full team on scholarship (15) in over a decade.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

I don't know that you need a full 15 players on scholarship as it is doubtful that the last two player from a talent perspective brings much to the table and they could create more team dissatisfaction from a minutes played perspective.

It is worth noting that MBB only allows 13 scholarships instead of the 15 WBB gets and they are able to function effectively. WBB has not had more than 13 scholarship player since the 2015-16 season. They did not have 15 scholarship players from the 2012-13 season to the present.

http://www.soonersports.com/SportSel...&Q_SEASON=2012
Old 02-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #7
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerstar View Post
Those endowments were funded between the time the Paris twins signed their LOI and the beginning of their Junior year. Correlation?
Bingo Sherlock! Great strategy on SC's part. Well, then again...I think Guy Austin (Marketing and Sales guru per his bio) showed up at the end of the first season after the twins arrived. His family members were donors to the endowment fundraising. He replaced an African American (can't recall his name) who was the Operations Director suddenly before the twins signed then was suddenly gone after AOlujuwon signed. Rumor had it that the parents noticed the lack of cultural diversity on the staff so they brought in an over qualified Dr. of Education all of the sudden who had no background in sports. If I remember correctly, the coaching staff all received some hefty increases in salaries. I don't recall seeing incentives but I'm sure those who had incentive bonuses were super happy! Hopefully SHansmeyer got her fair share before leaving as the primary recruiter for the twins, who then convinced AThompson to come along with AOlujuwon and then DRob.

The weirdest pent house to the curb program that I've ever heard of!

EDIT
It looks like SC is consistent. Dr. Bill Pink is the name of the former Operations Director. I stand corrected. He is a student-athlete alumnus of guess where? You got it...OCU. SC's an alum as well. His bio does not include his time spent with OU WBB. Hmmmm. It would be kinda' funny if it wasn't such a shame regarding the decline of the program. Does she know anyone outside of Oklahoma that qualifies to coach in her program?

https://www.grcc.edu/officeofthepresident/billpink

Last edited by Soonerbay; 02-19-2019 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added Dr. Pink Info
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #8
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I think it's very sad when I go to the men's board and there's a thread from guys that don't really even follow women's basketball, about how horrible the women's program has become. if people that don't really care a whole lot about women's basketball or actually starting to voice their opinions it's got to be pretty bad and something needs to change. A lot of the talk was how in the world Colton qualifies to be an assistant coach... This is the biggest mystery In this program to date. Said something about Bo Overton leaving and then since he left the recruiting noticeably got worse? I guess I don't know who that guy is but he needs to come back ASAP!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

And both reportedly left because of Sherri and her refusal to ink players the likes of those mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #10
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosooner2 View Post
I see Anna went back to her HS coach to get help?

What? Links?

Old 02-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
gosooner2
Walk-on

Can not get it to post. Article from the Norman Transcript "four things before the OU -WVU basketball game".
gosooner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Thank you.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #13
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻