ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-03-2021, 03:33 PM   #1
sunny
Walk-on

Default Baylor recruiting?

So, how do they have a recruiting advantage over schools like OU? Waco, really?
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Default Re: Baylor recruiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny View Post
They donít. Transfers and redshirting
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #3
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny View Post
Private school means they donít have to give in to foi requests I believe.

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
mict085
All-Conference

Theyíve played the street agent game for years, ever since Drew came to Waco.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 04:44 PM   #5
sunny
Walk-on

I guess you could say a lot of teams have had an advantage over us the past few years. Hopefully that will change. As Barkley just said some teams have Jim's and some teams have Joe's. But Baylor and Gonzaga have Jim's and Joe's.
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #6
Eielson
All-Conference

As others have alluded to, there is some shady stuff happening in Waco.

But also, they've taken 3-stars like Taurean Prince and turned them into 1st round picks. We've only put a handful of guys in the NBA over the last 25 years, period -- and most of them were 5-stars like Blake and Trae.

Player development is key at Baylor.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
As others have alluded to, there is some shady stuff happening in Waco.

But also, they've taken 3-stars like Taurean Prince and turned them into 1st round picks. We've only put a handful of guys in the NBA over the last 25 years, period -- and most of them were 5-stars like Blake and Trae.

Player development is key at Baylor.

Yep. They are not getting it done with one and done types

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:23 PM   #8
sdcloud9
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
Theyíve played the street agent game for years, ever since Drew came to Waco.
I think he used to but realized it wasn't going to work long term so he worked to become a better coach and develop players.

I think OU can do the same thing.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:07 PM   #9
mict085
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcloud9 View Post
I think he used to but realized it wasn't going to work long term so he worked to become a better coach and develop players.

I think OU can do the same thing.
Theyíre still shady, but they have done a much better job at evaluating and developing talented players. Theyíve done better at identifying good players and making them better. Theyíve done a better job of coaching all around. Drew hasnít always been a good coach but heís improved greatly over the last decade.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:43 PM   #10
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
They’re still shady, but they have done a much better job at evaluating and developing talented players. They’ve done better at identifying good players and making them better. They’ve done a better job of coaching all around. Drew hasn’t always been a good coach but he’s improved greatly over the last decade.
I agree. Drew is a stud of a coach compared to what he used to be. You can even tell it in his interviews.

I think they’ve always done a good job of developing players but they’ve also improved in recruiting. They get a lot of 4 star guys lower top 100 guys, like Butler, Mayer, Vital, Cryer, and of course transfers like Mitchell and Teague. Scary thing is next year they have 3 more coming in, including #15 and #34 nationally.

But the most amazing thing Drew has done is getting everyone to buy into his system and play so well as a team. To me, this his is biggest strength and has been for a while.

This is what Moser can do too.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:23 PM   #11
red recluse
Starter

baylor recruiting playbook:

forward who can play tight end? check
wing with 8 foot wingspan? check
foreign guard who can shoot lights out? check
point guard? check

what am i missing?

Last edited by red recluse; 04-04-2021 at 01:16 AM.
red recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:44 AM   #12
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Has any other school ever made a serious attempt to hire Drew away from Baylor? I can't remember hearing his name connected with any coaching searches over the years. If not, I wonder why?

Obviously, he has improved his coaching somewhat. I don't think he tries to distract the opposing team when they shoot free throws anymore. Someone mentioned Baylor redshirting players. How does he convince players to redshirt when other coaches aren't able to?

Full disclosure, my bias against Baylor could be considered extreme. I just don't believe that his scintillating personality and coaching skills are the only things that attract these players to the armpit of central Texas.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:15 AM   #13
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Has any other school ever made a serious attempt to hire Drew away from Baylor? I can't remember hearing his name connected with any coaching searches over the years. If not, I wonder why?

Obviously, he has improved his coaching somewhat. I don't think he tries to distract the opposing team when they shoot free throws anymore. Someone mentioned Baylor redshirting players. How does he convince players to redshirt when other coaches aren't able to?

Full disclosure, my bias against Baylor could be considered extreme. I just don't believe that his scintillating personality and coaching skills are the only things that attract these players to the armpit of central Texas.
Youíre not alone in your assessment in baylor. They signed the #1 recruiting class last year with all 5 starters returning. Baylor. That doesnít happen without illegal benefits.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:43 AM   #14
sanguinetti
Role Player

i used to read hornfans.com's hoops board and for a hoot, texags.com, in the early 00's....recall immediately a lot of suspicions on both those boards, mostly rumor and speculation but some personal accounts, hs coaches, anecdotal, classic internet stuff....about Drew once he started having some success. lotta smoke from the get go. remember thinking at the time was pretty wild since his dad was a such respected guy at Valpo. yet, here we are.

also a very public incident in which Rick Barnes and Drew basically threatened mutually assured destruction in the media....

edit: i guess where i was going with this was it seemed insane/outrageous to me BU would be taking chances right away after the Bliss/Dennehey murder thing....but, BU and Briles went down a bad road subsequently, for sure, so maybe not so outrageous..

Last edited by sanguinetti; 04-04-2021 at 10:00 AM.
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #15
MsProudSooner
National Champion

If the D1 athletic directors thought Drew was a great coach, they would be knocking on his door every time there was another opening.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:54 AM   #16
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
If the D1 athletic directors thought Drew was a great coach, they would be knocking on his door every time there was another opening.
They'd likely have to pay him about 5m/year to pry him away from Baylor.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:58 AM   #17
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
They'd likely have to pay him about 5m/year to pry him away from Baylor.
There are schools that would pay that if they thought he could get them to the FF. Unless there is baggage they don't want to deal with.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #18
CoachTalk
National Champion

Baylor just has dudes! I don’t think they are paying these dudes. Just a perfect group of dudes!

Drew and staff have come a long way!
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #19
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
There are schools that would pay that if they thought he could get them to the FF. Unless there is baggage they don't want to deal with.
I remember when Baylor was a perennial Big 12 bottom feeder, and so do you. In those days, Scott Drew was said to be a great recruiter and no better than an average coach. There were also rumors that Drew and Baylor cheated, and there were reasons to believe that back then. Despite the Bears lowly reputation, they were in on some of the top players in the country every season.

I have no idea if those rumors were true? Their football coach, Art Briles, was the worst of the worst. He was fired for covering up seventeen reports of rapes by his football players.

Scott Drew is a saint by comparison. To my knowledge he has never been linked to anything dirty, including cheating to get high profile recruits. He has also come along way as a coach in the last few years.

Iím looking forward to tomorrow nightís game.
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:45 AM   #20
NorthCarolinaSooner
Walk-on

Baylor still cheats....plain and simple.

But....so does Coach K and everyone else that consistently get top players. It is what it is.

That being said...Drew does a good job developing his guys too.
NorthCarolinaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:46 AM   #21
NorthCarolinaSooner
Walk-on

Also...head coaches are as good as their assistants a lot of times. The assistants do most of the development.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #22
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaSooner View Post
Also...head coaches are as good as their assistants a lot of times. The assistants do most of the development.
I have said the same things for years. The head coach gets the blame (and it’s true they’re ultimately responsible), but the assistants are the ones who spend time with player development. The same can also be said for recruiting.

You know that, of course. Aren’t you a head coach?
Old 04-04-2021, 12:28 PM   #23
NorthCarolinaSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
I have said the same things for years. The head coach gets the blame (and itís true theyíre ultimately responsible), but the assistants are the ones who spend time with player development. The same can also be said for recruiting.

You know that, of course. Arenít you a head coach?
I was a college head coach at a small school for 3 years. Went back to the HS level and moved back to Texas.

A solid asst changed our program quick when I was at the college level. I brought in two 1000 point scorers in my first recruiting class...my asst brought an all american in to go with the pieces I had already brought in. By my third season we could compete with anyone close to our level. The NAIA national runner up beat us by 6 that year...we went to Mercer the year they beat Duke in the NCAA tournament and had 5 TOs in 40 minutes(got killed anyway). Without my assts we would not have been as competitive as we were.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #24
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaSooner View Post
I was a college head coach at a small school for 3 years. Went back to the HS level and moved back to Texas.

A solid asst changed our program quick when I was at the college level. I brought in two 1000 point scorers in my first recruiting class...my asst brought an all american in to go with the pieces I had already brought in. By my third season we could compete with anyone close to our level. The NAIA national runner up beat us by 6 that year...we went to Mercer the year they beat Duke in the NCAA tournament and had 5 TOs in 40 minutes(got killed anyway). Without my assts we would not have been as competitive as we were.
Good info, NCSooner! Iím glad you confirmed what I have been saying for a long time: assistants can make or break a head coach.

Lon knew that all too well. OUís recruiting and player development were noticeably worse when Steve Henson and the late Lew Hill left Norman. Hartman made some inroads in recruiting the last year or two. But we were still a long way from our FF days when Henson and Hill were on staff.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #25
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
I remember when Baylor was a perennial Big 12 bottom feeder, and so do you. In those days, Scott Drew was said to be a great recruiter and no better than an average coach. There were also rumors that Drew and Baylor cheated, and there were reasons to believe that back then. Despite the Bears lowly reputation, they were in on some of the top players in the country every season.

I have no idea if those rumors were true? Their football coach, Art Briles, was the worst of the worst. He was fired for covering up seventeen reports of rapes by his football players.

Scott Drew is a saint by comparison. To my knowledge he has never been linked to anything dirty, including cheating to get high profile recruits. He has also come along way as a coach in the last few years.

Iím looking forward to tomorrow nightís game.
I agree he's a saint compared to Briles. I think Baylor is a cesspool and he is a beneficiary.