ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-02-2021, 08:38 PM   #26
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Default Re: Brady Manek to the portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Ok that's embarrassing.... He wants to play college basketball, just not at OU where he has started 4 years.

Things are tanking... especially if they hire Moser. Total dumpster fire if they hire that guy.
Derp
Old 04-02-2021, 08:47 PM   #27
OUSKINS
Walk-on

We have a choice as college fans now... either accept that free agency has arrived or stop watching. When you sign a kid now consider it a one year agreement that will be reevaluated at the end of each year. Then rinse and repeat for remaining years of eligibility.

www.oklahomacitythunderblog.blogspot.com
OUSKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:30 PM   #28
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSKINS View Post
We have a choice as college fans now... either accept that free agency has arrived or stop watching. When you sign a kid now consider it a one year agreement that will be reevaluated at the end of each year. Then rinse and repeat for remaining years of eligibility.
True, but technically itís always a 1yr deal that gets renewed every yr...kids have been told to look elsewhere many times...now it puts the power in their hands.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:42 PM   #29
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Who should come first -- the fan, university, or the player?

I think that question tells most of the story about how you feel about transfer rules.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:04 PM   #30
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post

I think that question tells most of the story about how you feel about transfer rules.
The player, it’s their life not mine, yours, or anyone else’s

Last edited by Max Power; 04-03-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:23 PM   #31
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:

The player, but it's reasonable to ask if it's possible to consider all three. We've gone from one extreme to the other -- one wonders if there's something in between that would be reasonably fair to everyone.

For instance, I agree with Lincoln Riley's stance on intra-conference transfers. I think it's fair to put some restrictions on those.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:50 PM   #32
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
The player, itís their life not mine, yours, or anyone elseís
Agreed. Which is why I support their ability to transfer easily.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:57 PM   #33
OUSKINS
Walk-on

Quote:

I donít personally have a strong opinion, but actions have consequences. Players gaining more freedom to move may very well result in less overall interest/commitment from fans. Not right or wrong, just a very possible outcome. Will also start to really change HS recruiting. At OU we arenít getting five star kids anyway, portal kids are more provenó if you have a shot at 3-4 per off season maybe just focus all of your attention on transfers and more or less ignore the HS kids altogether- go for the proven commodity.

My bigger issue is the WHY here. It goes even deeper than college athletics and speaks more to the generational stuff. So I wonít get too into it as it can for sure be a rabbit hole. But Iíll just say thisó as someone who employs young people and observes college athletes etc. I am very troubled at the way any sort of conflict, adversity, or disappointment is viewed and/or handled.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #34
mict085
All-Conference

I support players rights to transfer and find the best situation for themselves. However, they should still have to sit out a year, especially if they transfer within the conference.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:05 PM   #35
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
I donít personally have a strong opinion, but actions have consequences. Players gaining more freedom to move may very well result in less overall interest/commitment from fans. Not right or wrong, just a very possible outcome. Will also start to really change HS recruiting. At OU we arenít getting five star kids anyway, portal kids are more provenó if you have a shot at 3-4 per off season maybe just focus all of your attention on transfers and more or less ignore the HS kids altogether- go for the proven commodity.

My bigger issue is the WHY here. It goes even deeper than college athletics and speaks more to the generational stuff. So I wonít get too into it as it can for sure be a rabbit hole. But Iíll just say thisó as someone who employs young people and observes college athletes etc. I am very troubled at the way any sort of conflict, adversity, or disappointment is viewed and/or handled.
I see the downside. There are many people who stuck out tough times at their original school and were ultimately rewarded. Some of those people wouldn't have stuck around if it were easy to bail.

However, there are a lot of kids that don't get that redemption, and we mostly ignore them. How many countless kids rode the bench because their skills weren't fully appreciated by their coach?

At the end of the day, some kids won't succeed with one system that would have succeeded with the other -- but I think the kids are most important, and they should be able to choose their destruction (or preferably the optimal route for them).
Old 04-03-2021, 08:08 PM   #36
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
I support players rights to transfer and find the best situation for themselves. However, they should still have to sit out a year, especially if they transfer within the conference.
I fully support sitting out a year if you transfer in-conference. For any other circumstance, I think that's too harsh. Maybe basketball players should be allowed to practice immediately, but not play until December (or something like that). A full-year is just too long.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #37
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

I like and cheer for OU...
Iíll follow OU guys that make the pros in any sport but not religiously...

Play for OU and Iíll cheer for you... donít and thatís cool as well.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:28 PM   #38
mict085
All-Conference

Quote:
I fully support sitting out a year if you transfer in-conference. For any other circumstance, I think that's too harsh. Maybe basketball players should be allowed to practice immediately, but not play until December (or something like that). A full-year is just too long.
I would agree
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:36 PM   #39
OUSKINS
Walk-on

I’m just a little cynical about the “do what’s best for you” thing. A lot of these kids are playing for multiple high school teams AND multiple college teams. Essentially basketball mercenaries from the time they are 14-15 years old. I’m skeptical of who that is really “good for” and who might be leading them to those decisions.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:52 PM   #40
OUGenius
Walk-on

As they sayÖ Donít hate the player, hate the game.
OUGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #41
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Iím just a little cynical about the ďdo whatís best for youĒ thing. A lot of these kids are playing for multiple high school teams AND multiple college teams. Essentially basketball mercenaries from the time they are 14-15 years old. Iím skeptical of who that is really ďgood forĒ and who might be leading them to those decisions.
I agree. I'm just fairly libertarian in regards to letting people dig their own graves. I obviously would prefer no graves be dug, but I'd rather dig my own than have somebody else dig it for me.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #42
CoachTalk
National Champion

I think he will not return.
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #43
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
I agree. I'm just fairly libertarian in regards to letting people dig their own graves. I obviously would prefer no graves be dug, but I'd rather dig my own than have somebody else dig it for me.
I still think the portal is the best way to correct mistakes... Players can move up and down. A player who didn't get noticed out of high school, playing low level, can jump up a level... Players who go to major programs but aren't good enough to play, can go down a level. A transfer like that benefits the Colorado States of the world just as much as the OU's of the world.

It basically opens up a new recruiting window... It's good for the programs, good for the players, etc... We will just have to get used to it being hectic this time of year with players in the portal.

I am confident OU comes out really well. And I think a lot of programs will fill out their rosters in a way that is better for them, and for the players involved as well.

Last edited by thebigabd; 04-13-2021 at 10:30 AM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #44
MercedeSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
I think he will not return.
Probably better for him and the program. Didnít look like he had much fun playing this past year.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #45
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedeSooner View Post
Probably better for him and the program. Didnít look like he had much fun playing this past year.
Great point. Starting with the Texas Tech game in Norman, he looked miserable. He just wasn't able to do what Lon wanted on the defensive end, and I think it really worked on him. Would not shock me to see him go to ORU and play beside Abmas and Obanor and score a ton of points. Or to North Texas and do the same.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #46
skyvue
Final Four

Actually, in several post-game interviews this season, I noted how animated and even excited Brady was. I don't have any inside info whatsoever, but he seemed really engaged (at least at times) to me.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:12 PM   #47
OU92Grad
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
Great point. Starting with the Texas Tech game in Norman, he looked miserable. He just wasn't able to do what Lon wanted on the defensive end, and I think it really worked on him. Would not shock me to see him go to ORU and play beside Abmas and Obanor and score a ton of points. Or to North Texas and do the same.
Lol. No chance that happens. His brother transferred from ORU and current coach. Info I received (a few days old) is that if he leaves for another school it will be to either Illinois, Virginia, North Carolina or Xavier. Was offered by multiple Big East and Power 5 schools including multiple Big 12 schools (some that OU fans absolutely hate). Same source has said he believes he will probably turn pro. Either way I wish him the best. Best of luck to him.
OU92Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #48
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU92Grad View Post
Lol. No chance that happens. His brother transferred from ORU and current coach. Info I received (a few days old) is that if he leaves for another school it will be to either Illinois, Virginia, North Carolina or Xavier. Was offered by multiple Big East and Power 5 schools including multiple Big 12 schools (some that OU fans absolutely hate). Same source has said he believes he will probably turn pro. Either way I wish him the best. Best of luck to him.
lol, he wouldn't play at NC. That list is silly. Either you got bad intelligence or some schools are looking for somebody to fill that 10th spot on the bench.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:37 PM   #49
OU92Grad
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
lol, he wouldn't play at NC. That list is silly. Either you got bad intelligence or some schools are looking for somebody to fill that 10th spot on the bench.
Have you looked at UNC Roster? Zero returning 4's or 5's. Maybe its you with the bad intelligence.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/north-carolina
OU92Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:11 PM   #50
CoachTalk
National Champion

Manek offered by UNC today.
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote