ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #51
MrAnderson
Walk-on

Default Re: Beard to Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
I just don't give a crap about them. UT football was pretty danged good under Mack Brown, and Bob Stoops and our Sooners kicked the snot out of them and accomplished so much more in those years. I worry about OU. If we take care of our program, nothing UT does will matter.

While I don't necessarily root for Big 12 teams in OOC games, I do think it's better for OU (in both sports) if the league has multiple good teams.
This. Worrying about other teams and wishing ill will on them to the point of hating them is a loser's mentality. Go get yours.

Like when OU fans are giving the horns down when playing anyone but Texas just puts Texas on a pedestal and it makes us look like we have an inferiority complex. It makes me cringe.
MrAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #52
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Why does in state and in conference matter? I certainly didn't say anything about that.

Can I name coaches that had success and took a new job and didn't?
If Beard left to coach at a place like UNC or UCLA, then I'd understand your point. He would be leaving his recruiting base and perhaps his coaching style wouldn't work as well against different teams/coaches. He's not, though. He doesn't have to change a single thing. UT just upgraded even if Beard doesn't cash in on all his new resources and continues to do what he did at Tech.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:48 PM   #53
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
This. Worrying about other teams and wishing ill will on them to the point of hating them is a loser's mentality. Go get yours.
I think you can do both. I can at least.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #54
Big Old Booger
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Chris Beard is staying in the same state and conference. Name 3 examples of coaches that did that without success. I might settle for one.
Tom Crean is close but Marquette is in Wisconsin and IU is not. Same geographical area and probably about the same distance apart as Austin to Lubbock.

The "in state" rule makes it harder to find examples.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:00 PM   #55
Big Old Booger
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
This season, Tech finished one seed spot ahead of OU, with the same conference record as OU. Last season, Tech finished two spots behind OU, with the same conference record.
Sky, I like you but I disagree here. Tech swept us this year and I think they swept us last year but I could be wrong.

Tech and KSU are 2 programs Lon has really struggled to beat on a consistent basis and neither one is better than ours. Hopefully we can beat those programs with more regularity now and at least show up in Manhattan sometimes.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:00 PM   #56
Romulus
Starter

Quote:

Like when OU fans are giving the horns down when playing anyone but Texas just puts Texas on a pedestal and it makes us look like we have an inferiority complex. It makes me cringe.
Losers mentality? It’s called a damn rivalry.
Have you ever been to Dallas and the RRS?
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:02 PM   #57
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
UT just upgraded even if Beard doesn't cash in on all his new resources and continues to do what he did at Tech.
Beard didn't even continue to do what he did at Tech at Tech. He had two very good seasons followed by two seasons that Lon Kruger would have (and has) gotten roasted for (three, really, but I'm giving Beard a pass on his first season).

Two good seasons followed by a significant dropoff for two seasons and posters on this board have placed him in the coaching pantheon.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:12 PM   #58
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:

I get your point, but that’s a bit harsh. Great rivalries bring the venom out in one another. As long as it’s constructive, no harm done. For example, anyone who knows me understands I will never wear anything burnt orange. Also, I was at a hotel gym once and saw there were two exercise mats, one burnt orange and one hot pink. I took the pink one :-). Again, no harm done.

To your main point, I don’t lose sleep when Texas is really good in a particular sport because I figure the best AD in America will find a way to up his game to help put OU on a higher level in that same sport.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #59
MrAnderson
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Several times. Bottom line is this: I want OU to win whomever they're playing against. And I couldn't care less whether some other team wins or loses unless it affects OU indirectly (or I have money on it).

Obsessing over other programs is so aggie and beta.
MrAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #60
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Amen. However I do agree with the Horns down garbage. Do it I guess when competing against Texas but doing it anywhere/anytime else is a loser mentality just like the ATM Aggies having an entire song dedicated to them.
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #61
Romulus
Starter

^^^^
Gets it. At the same time I absolutely do not want Texas to be on the level of Kansas in basketball
Old 04-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #62
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Beard didn't even continue to do what he did at Tech at Tech. He had two very good seasons followed by two seasons that Lon Kruger would have (and has) gotten roasted for (three, really, but I'm giving Beard a pass on his first season).

Two good seasons followed by a significant dropoff for two seasons and posters on this board have placed him in the coaching pantheon.
Or perhaps they are making an apples to apples comparison over a 5 year stretch. Using the term "pantheon" is just a distortion of reality. Confusion is created by distorting reality. Trouble comes from confusion. Why is it necessary. What does it achieve. Whatever floats your boat.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #63
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Old Booger View Post
Tom Crean is close but Marquette is in Wisconsin and IU is not. Same geographical area and probably about the same distance apart as Austin to Lubbock.

The "in state" rule makes it harder to find examples.
State is a minor thing for me if you have the same recruiting base. He also switched conferences.

While he may not have cashed in on IU's wannabe-blue blood status, he didn't exactly do worse at IU. He won the Big 10 twice vs winning C-USA once and never finished above 4th in the Big East. He also went to the Sweet 16 three times at IU despite advancing past the round of 32 once at Marquette.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #64
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:

I've responded to this in other threads -- feel free to respond there if you want to engage in conversation rather than obnoxious trolling. Otherwise I'll leave you alone with this piss-poor logic that you can't possibly believe.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #65
scrybe
All-American

I could give a rat's rear-end how well Chris Beard does at Texas – except when it comes to playing us. He's a good coach, but certainly not on the level of Bill Self. So what, if he made it to the NCAA title game? So did Lon Kruger at OU, as well as some Finals 4s at other stops. We can talk about this again after Beard has been a head coach for 40 years.

I agree wholeheartedly with WTS (Surprise!) and a few other posters. If Joe C. takes care of business – and I believe he will – the Sooners will continue to beat UT regularly and finish above the whorns in the conference standing more often than not.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:31 PM   #66
Romulus
Starter

Scrybe , could you please post the final score of OU’s title game that Lon Kruger coached in?
Old 04-01-2021, 03:31 PM   #67
dksooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
I could give a rat's rear-end how well Chris Beard does at Texas – except when it comes to playing us. He's a good coach, but certainly not on the level of Bill Self. So what, if he made it to the NCAA title game? So did Lon Kruger at OU, as well as some Finals 4s at other stops. We can talk about this again after Beard has been a head coach for 40 years.

I agree wholeheartedly with WTS (Surprise!) and a few other posters. If Joe C. takes care of business – and I believe he will – the Sooners will continue to beat UT regularly and finish above the whorns in the conference standing more often than not.
Nova kicked our ass in the semifinals
dksooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #68
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Scrybe , could you please post the final score of OU’s title game that Lon Kruger coached in?
something tells me he can't...

Max Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #69
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
I've responded to this in other threads -- feel free to respond there if you want to engage in conversation rather than obnoxious trolling. Otherwise I'll leave you alone with this piss-poor logic that you can't possibly believe.
I mean every word of it. I am the furthest thing from a troll, but on this board, offering a differing opinion, especially when it's accompanied by inconvenient facts, makes some posters very upset.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:36 PM   #70
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
I mean every word of it. I am the furthest thing from a troll, but on this board, offering a differing opinion, especially when it's accompanied by inconvenient facts, makes some posters very upset.
Hang in there skyvue... Guys like us are often misunderstood.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:38 PM   #71
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
This season, Tech finished one seed spot ahead of OU, with the same conference record as OU. Last season, Tech finished two spots behind OU, with the same conference record.
Quote:
So what you're saying is that over the past 5 years (Beard's tenure), Lon's best is comparable to Beard's worst?
Old 04-01-2021, 03:39 PM   #72
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Hang in there skyvue... Guys like us are often misunderstood.
ahem...

No worries here. I'm always prepared to stand behind my posts. That's the first time in nearly 30 years online that I've been accused of being a troll (to my "face," anyway), so the novelty of it is amusing.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #73
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
ahem...

No worries here. I'm always prepared to stand behind my posts. That's the first time in nearly 30 years online that I've been accused of being a troll (to my "face," anyway), so the novelty of it is amusing.
Some think I am a troll as well. I'm not a monster.... I'm just ahead of the curve.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #74
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Hey, no one's perfect…well, except for a few dozen on this board.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #75
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Some think I am a troll as well. I'm not a monster.... I'm just ahead of the curve.
Indeed, it's assumed by some (stated in a post as recently as in the last half-hour) that a good portion of your posts are out-of-season April Fool's pranks. If that's not the case -- if all of them are sincere -- you are sorely misunderstood, it would seem. If some of them aren't genuine and are just meant to rile people up, I for one would just as soon see you end that approach. I'd rather know what you really think than be "entertained" by the prank posts and the furor that often follows them.

Not that you asked for my opinion, of course, nor should you necessarily care what I think.