ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 04-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
Romulus
Starter

Default Beard to Texas

Was really hoping that guy would stay at Tech. They have definitely upgraded bigtime with this hire.
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #2
Eielson
All-Conference

Default Re: Beard to Texas

Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
Eielson
All-Conference

I knew I should have been cheering against Abilene.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:01 AM   #4
thebigabd
National Champion

Texas just got a lot better.....

Will be curious to see what Tech does now. They may go after McAsland pretty hard.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:02 AM   #5
ouboomer
Role Player

all the "supposed" people in the know kept saying April 1st and it would be a done deal...
ouboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #6
sdcloud9
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post

Will be curious to see what Tech does now. They may go after McAsland pretty hard.
I think he'll jump at the job. I think this is why Joe C. never pursued him that hard knowing that Beard was going to Texas and the dominoes would fall for McCasland to go Tech.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:38 AM   #7
WTSooner
National Champion

OU is a better job than TT if McCasland was wanting a new job.

And I don't worry about Beard to UT. UT might get better, but TT will fall off some. And UT isn't likely to be much better than what Beard has done with TT over the past 5 years. Beard has been landing multiple 4* kids at TT. We'll see how much better his recruiting gets at UT. I would say probably not a bunch.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #8
Romulus
Starter

Beard recruited his ass of in a trash hole called Amarillo. With Austin behind him, I think his recruiting will do better.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #9
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post

Better than the fantastic team you praised after their two game crowning achievement in KC? How is that possible?!?
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #10
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post

And I don't worry about Beard to UT. UT might get better, but TT will fall off some. And UT isn't likely to be much better than what Beard has done with TT over the past 5 years. Beard has been landing multiple 4* kids at TT. We'll see how much better his recruiting gets at UT. I would say probably not a bunch.
Great take.

I agree that OU might be the better program, but TTU just paid Beard $5MM and has an outstanding 15K arena, where basketball isn't always second tier to football. Those factors could be appealing.

And I agree 100% with your take on Beard. Texass was already getting talent so the improvement or competition to us, along with maybe a slight downtick a Tech, will have minimal impact. Plus, Beard IMO is more hype than delivery to this point as he has finished with less than 20 wins and in the bottom half of the conference more than he hasn't.

He will still be the 4th best coach in the league, and the only real leap he could make is to the third-best coach/program in the league.

Beard going to Texass is less of an issue to OU basketball than getting our own coaching hire right.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #11
sanguinetti
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSooner View Post
Beard going to Texass is less of an issue to OU basketball than getting our own coaching hire right.
agree with that. Indiana and Texas have both taken coaches who weren't on our hire list (whatever that may be).

so, all in Joe C's court at this point, according to me.
sanguinetti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #12
Romulus
Starter

^^^
who are the three better coaches in the league? He was a missed three pointer away from winning a NC at Tech!
Old 04-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #13
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Beard recruited his ass of in a trash hole called Amarillo. With Austin behind him, I think his recruiting will do better.
lol this was the line of thought when UT got shaka ...

texas recruiting can't really get better because it has been elite for 20+ years
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:00 AM   #14
Sooner04
All-Conference

Worst case scenario. That guy is a phenomenal coach. I could not believe how quickly he got things rolling at Tech.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #15
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
^^^
who are the three better coaches in the league? He was a missed three pointer away from winning a NC at Tech!
Self, obviously. At this point, Scott Drew is better, and Huggins, who has 900 wins and finished in the top 3 of the conference 6 of the last 7 years.

Beard has back-to-back 18 win seasons and 6th place finishes since that NC game and finished in the bottom half of the Big XII in 5 years more than he hasn't. The other 3 coaches are above that.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:26 AM   #16
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post

I think the main reasons he'd go to TTU than OU is that he's from Texas & he was TTU's director of basketball ops for a few years.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #17
Matthew G
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
I think the main reasons he'd go to TTU than OU is that he's from Texas & he was TTU's director of basketball ops for a few years.
And his wife went to school there.

Also, Beard to Texas isn't that scary. Texas basketball just got a whole lot more boring for their fans. If he lands the recruits Shaka did, then those recruits are going to hate how slow his style is, and how much he demands on the defensive end.

This reminds me when they hired Shaka and thought he'd somehow replicate VCU's press with 5* recruits. It doesn't work like that.
Matthew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #18
Romulus
Starter

Quote:
Self, obviously. At this point, Scott Drew is better, and Huggins, who has 900 wins and finished in the top 3 of the conference 6 of the last 7 years.

Beard has back-to-back 18 win seasons and 6th place finishes since that NC game and finished in the bottom half of the Big XII in 5 years more than he hasn't. The other 3 coaches are above that.
the only difference between Self and Beard success is that Mario Chalmers hit his big shot and Culver missed his. Self is at a blue blood and Beard is at freakin Tech. If I had the choice between the two, I'd pick Beard over Self.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:40 AM   #19
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:

Beard went to the Elite 8 twice in his first three years at Tech. He was the one that finally unthroned KU. His "down years" were finishing 3rd in conference followed by a 6-seed...AT TECH. The fact that we're saying "meh" to a 6-seed at Tech shows just how fast he worked there. Not long ago, that would have gotten you a 5-year extension there as a PEAK year.

You could make the argument that he's 4th (I wouldn't agree), but he's probably the worst to have at Texas. Self would be terrifying, but he has the NCAA breathing down his neck. Huggins at UT would be a train-wreck waiting to happen. Drew and Beard are comparable, but Drew's rebuild took longer (to be fair, it has sustained longer).
Old 04-01-2021, 11:41 AM   #20
Matthew G
Walk-on

Quote:
the only difference between Self and Beard success is that Mario Chalmers hit his big shot and Culver missed his. Self is at a blue blood and Beard is at freakin Tech. If I had the choice between the two, I'd pick Beard over Self.
Lol, I would take Bill Self without even blinking.

You'd have to go back to his 2nd year as a head coach to find the last time he lost 9 games in conference.

Chris Beard went to an elite 8 and then a NCG in his 2nd year at Tech, and has since gone 18-13 and 18-11 going 9-9 in league play and 9-8 in league play.
Matthew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:41 AM   #21
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
the only difference between Self and Beard success is that Mario Chalmers hit his big shot and Culver missed his.
Well, that and the fact that the past two years, Beard has delivered the kind of results that posters on this board ragged on Kruger for. There's definitely a double standard at play there.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:42 AM   #22
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
the only difference between Self and Beard success is that Mario Chalmers hit his big shot and Culver missed his.
Well...and 14 straight conference crowns.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #23
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Surely you can't be serious. How many times has Self finished in the second half of the Big XII and won less than 18 games? Better yet, since you imply his success is because he is at KU, how many times in his career?

The answer: he has never finished less than 3rd in conference in his career, including stops at ORU, TU, and Illinois, and only won less than 18 games his first two years of coaching when at ORU. He has won his conference 19 out of 24 years he has coached.

Beard finished with 18 wins and 6th place or worse 3 of 5 years at Tech. And is now earning about $2MM more than Self.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:47 AM   #24
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Well, that and the fact that the past two years, Beard has delivered the kind of results that posters on this board ragged on Kruger for. There's definitely a double standard at play there.
I really thought Lon and Kevin were going to delete their burner accounts once they left. Guess not.

Sorry, but Beard ran circles around Lon since his arrival 5 years ago. There's really no other way to see it.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:47 AM   #25
Sooner04
All-Conference

Here they come. The signal has been sent.

And don't forget that Beard posted a tidy little 7-3 record against us while in Lubbock. He wasted no time moving that program right past ours.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote