ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-08-2021, 09:53 AM   #76
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Default Re: Assessing the current roster situation at OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort6481 View Post
Can the OP, or someone, update this list so it is accurate as of today? or is it?
updated
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:55 AM   #77
skyvue
Final Four

My initial reaction to the news of Coach Kruger's retirement was concern that his departure could lead to players leaving. That's proven to be true, though I hold out hope that the worst is over. Hopefully no more current players leave and we hang on to Noland. He would be a very tough loss to take.

We've got lots of slots to fill, even if no one else leaves. And while I'm glad we got a new commitment, from what I read he's ranked #245 nationally. I'm not saying that means he won't work out -- Coach Moser obviously knows infinitely more than I do about assessing players -- but I do hope he proves to have been vastly underrated.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:01 AM   #78
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
We may end up with nobody from this year's roster on next year's team. That is CRAZY, even with a coaching change. You'll never convince me that is a "good thing" for college athletics. I really hope the transferring slows down eventually.
Agreed, Man. It is brutal out here. Everyone knows the ncaa is a joke now too, so the tampering will continue at an obscene level. It’s happening big time to our roster rn.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:11 AM   #79
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
We've got lots of slots to fill, even if no one else leaves. And while I'm glad we got a new commitment, from what I read he's ranked #245 nationally. I'm not saying that means he won't work out -- Coach Moser obviously knows infinitely more than I do about assessing players -- but I do hope he proves to have been vastly underrated.
In all years tons of recruits get missed. Now consider the same during a covid year. This year’s recruiting rankings will likely be worse than usual due to lack of exposure.

I think he is underrated. This kid can shoot and is quick. He doesn’t have a hitch in his shot like Harmon did in high school.

Having said that, he looks really small. He is going to need some time in the weight room before he’s ready to contribute a lot IMO. If he adds some strength he could be a good players in a couple years. Coach Moser mentioned that he builds a program for the future and not just year by year. Hopefully we can get some big time plug and play transfers too.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #80
IndySooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
In all years tons of recruits get missed. Now consider the same during a covid year. This year’s recruiting rankings will likely be worse than usual due to lack of exposure.

I think he is underrated. This kid can shoot and is quick. He doesn’t have a hitch in his shot like Harmon did in high school.

Having said that, he looks really small. He is going to need some time in the weight room before he’s ready to contribute a lot IMO. If he adds some strength he could be a good players in a couple years. Coach Moser mentioned that he builds a program for the future and not just year by year. Hopefully we can get some big time plug and play transfers too.
Talked to a high school coach here in Chicago today about Moser. His concern is that he's so focused on "culture" and "fit" that he might not have enough runway at a school like OU. He's convinced if he was given the time, the program would be absolutely humming in 5-6 years, but these first few years might be rough because he's not willing to sell out for the JUCO transfers and culture risks that a guy like Capel was willing to sell out for.

Only one coach's opinion, but one that's been around Moser quite a bit and wants to see him succeed.
IndySooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:24 AM   #81
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
He's convinced if he was given the time, the program would be absolutely humming in 5-6 years
5 or 6 years is asking a lot of patience. Here's hoping being at a large program with more resources allows up to speed up the process.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #82
OUReality
Starter

Quote:
Talked to a high school coach here in Chicago today about Moser. His concern is that he's so focused on "culture" and "fit" that he might not have enough runway at a school like OU. He's convinced if he was given the time, the program would be absolutely humming in 5-6 years, but these first few years might be rough because he's not willing to sell out for the JUCO transfers and culture risks that a guy like Capel was willing to sell out for.

Only one coach's opinion, but one that's been around Moser quite a bit and wants to see him succeed.
interesting, because it seems that if Moser is building the right culture, JC will give him plenty of runway. I think the combination of Joe's commitment to doing things the right way with the fact that basketball is secondary to football in importance and budget at OU, it seems to me that as long as Moser's teams are competitive, that he will be given the time he needs to prove himself.

I do like to hear that if giving enough time, that Moser will have the program "humming". Looking forward to that.
OUReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #83
WTSooner
National Champion

I'll be on Moser like stink on poop if it takes us 5-6 years to be "humming".
Old 04-08-2021, 10:33 AM   #84
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
i guess it depends on what that means

if it is top 3 in conf and deeps runs 5 years might be fine .. as long as by year 2 or 3 we are a consistent tourney team and not on the bubble ..

if it means year 5 before the tourney then i agree with you
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:44 AM   #85
Sooner04
All-Conference

Quote:
Like it did Kelvin?

I KEED I KEED!

I'm going to get a look at the practice lineup on day 1 before I make any judgments on how long this is going to take. We've been dreadfully thin on the interior for a couple of years anyway, so the roster was already a bit of a mess.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #86
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:

The problem with Capel wasn't that he sold out the OU culture to get HS AA and JUCO AA, the problem with Capel is he sold out the culture and couldn't evaluate talent, or attitude. Maybe there was a reason only Texas schools recruited a 4 star top 50 TMG, that should have been a red flag. Yeah, he brought in talent like WW, Tiny Gallon, or even Fitz and Pledge, but he also signed CJ Washington, Abdul Ahmed, Calvin Newell, Kyle Hardrick, and Nick Thompson. Nick Thompson?!?

I don't think Moser will be in that same boat of talent evaluation. He has proven he can evaluate talent and develop the 3 star into a greater player. Capel had the opposite problem. Recruit a 4 star and turn him into a low 3 star.

Plus I think when Moser talks about culture, he isn't only talking about not cheating, he is talking about attitude and effort, the commitment to "win the day" as he talked about in his PC. Just because it might take 4-6 years to get that culture "humming", doesn't mean we won't see results quicker or even immediately. Next year could be a challenge (winning 12-15 games) depending on who he can get to fill out the roster, but from what I have seen I expect to see him get us at least to where we have been in year 2.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:20 AM   #87
NorthCarolinaSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSooner View Post
The problem with Capel wasn't that he sold out the OU culture to get HS AA and JUCO AA, the problem with Capel is he sold out the culture and couldn't evaluate talent, or attitude. Maybe there was a reason only Texas schools recruited a 4 star top 50 TMG, that should have been a red flag. Yeah, he brought in talent like WW, Tiny Gallon, or even Fitz and Pledge, but he also signed CJ Washington, Abdul Ahmed, Calvin Newell, Kyle Hardrick, and Nick Thompson. Nick Thompson?!?

I don't think Moser will be in that same boat of talent evaluation. He has proven he can evaluate talent and develop the 3 star into a greater player. Capel had the opposite problem. Recruit a 4 star and turn him into a low 3 star.

Plus I think when Moser talks about culture, he isn't only talking about not cheating, he is talking about attitude and effort, the commitment to "win the day" as he talked about in his PC. Just because it might take 4-6 years to get that culture "humming", doesn't mean we won't see results quicker or even immediately. Next year could be a challenge (winning 12-15 games) depending on who he can get to fill out the roster, but from what I have seen I expect to see him get us at least to where we have been in year 2.

The biggest problem for Capel, if you guys don't remember, was that he always put all his eggs in one basket...he went after studs and if he didn't sign him he never seemed to have a backup plan and was stuck trying to scrounge for whatever was left over after. Several times he was the bridesmaid for big time recruits and we ended up signing someone second tier when it was all said and done.

Just my opinion.
NorthCarolinaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #88
red recluse
Starter

Default Re: Assessing the current roster situation at OU (4/8/2021)

i'm fine with most of the roster turnover. wish brady was back, harmon to a lesser degree. i think moser's timeline will echo enfield at usc. obviously we are a better program, but with so much roster rebuilding to start, i am cool with 4-5 years to get it going. after 5, oi. the bright side is that i don't envision ksu, tech, isu or tcu being better than us by that time, if ever.
red recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #89
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaSooner View Post
The biggest problem for Capel, if you guys don't remember, was that he always put all his eggs in one basket...he went after studs and if he didn't sign him he never seemed to have a backup plan and was stuck trying to scrounge for whatever was left over after. Several times he was the bridesmaid for big time recruits and we ended up signing someone second tier when it was all said and done.

Just my opinion.
Yeah, there were a few of those, like Harrison Barnes the most noteworthy, maybe Pressey, Jai Lucas, and Daniel Oreton. Even Julius Randle as an underclassman before he was fired

But if you have any ability to evaluate talent, you don't fall off from Harrison Barnes to Nick Thompson in the 2010 class. Or sign Kyle Hardrick because you miss on Daniel Oreton in 2009.

That's just bad recruiting.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #90
NorthCarolinaSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Yeah, there were a few of those, like Harrison Barnes the most noteworthy, maybe Pressey, Jai Lucas, and Daniel Oreton. Even Julius Randle as an underclassman before he was fired

But if you have any ability to evaluate talent, you don't fall off from Harrison Barnes to Nick Thompson in the 2010 class. Or sign Kyle Hardrick because you miss on Daniel Oreton in 2009.

Exactly what I'm talking about. No backup plans.

Jai Lucas ended up being one of those eggs all in...

If he would have gotten plan A one 2-3 of those guys he probably wouldnt have been pushed out the door. ....and we would have been pretty good.
NorthCarolinaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:14 PM   #91
skyvue
Final Four

It was also the inmates running the asylum under Capel. If you're going to bring in guys with questionable discipllne, you've got to stay on top of them, show them that either they toe the line and work hard and comport themselves well or they sit (or leave). I never had the sense Capel was doing that.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #92
lk2183
Walk-on

Quote:

Terrence Jones and Terrence Ross were big targets that Capel put a ton of effort/time into and fell short on.
lk2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #93
thebigabd
National Champion

If the season started today (assuming every player in portal and declared for NBA is gone).....

PG: Bijan Cortez
SG: Umoja Gibson
SG: Elijah Harkless
PF: Alondes Williams (has not announced anything)
PF: Jalen Hill

That's the team RIGHT NOW....

Over the next 30 days we have to plug holes.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:43 PM   #94
steverocks35
Final Four

I feel like we have another guy who is going to get his name spelled wrong a million times in the next 4 years. See: McNeace, Jamuni

It's c-o-r-t-e-S.

yes I'm THAT guy lol
steverocks35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #95
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
I feel like we have another guy who is going to get his name spelled wrong a million times in the next 4 years. See: McNeace, Jamuni

It's c-o-r-t-e-S.
Noland, if he sticks, might be right there with him. I've seen Nolan quite a few times already, here and elsewhere.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:57 PM   #96
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Noland, if he sticks, might be right there with him. I've seen Nolan quite a few times already, here and elsewhere.
I'll just think of Chuck Noland, Tom Hanks's character in Castaway
steverocks35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #97
CoachTalk
National Champion

Have a feeling Williams may come back. Nothing concrete.
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #98
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Have a feeling Williams may come back. Nothing concrete.
That would be great. If we could get him and the remaining current players to stick, we can build a pretty solid team around them in year 1.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:29 PM   #99
soonerbms
Role Player

Quote:
The other big problem with Capel was that he is a **** basketball coach.
soonerbms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:40 PM   #100
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
That would be great. If we could get him and the remaining current players to stick, we can build a pretty solid team around them in year 1.
Little more Krutwig smoke...
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote