ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 03-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #51
jmizzy4ou
All-American

Default Re: Transfer portal bigs

I think we will be in trouble if Harkless is our primary ball handler. I can see teams salivating as they turn up the pressure. He can set the offense in short spurts, but he isn't a primary ball handler....
jmizzy4ou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #52
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizzy4ou View Post
I think we will be in trouble if Harkless is our primary ball handler. I can see teams salivating as they turn up the pressure. He can set the offense in short spurts, but he isn't a primary ball handler....
Agreed. That's why it has to be Harmon, unless Harmon is good with continuing to play off ball. Then I could see the reason for Fatts, he's a good player.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #53
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Agreed. That's why it has to be Harmon, unless Harmon is good with continuing to play off ball. Then I could see the reason for Fatts, he's a good player.
I think the need is there even if Harmon is the lead guard. You always need two guys who you feel comfortable with in that role, because Harmon isn't going to play 40 minutes a game. I love Harkless, but wouldn't want him running the offense for even 10 minutes a game unless he dramatically improves his handles and decision making.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #54
allday92
Walk-on

Quote:
I would even say he shouldn't be your secondary ball handler as well either. That can change in an off-season with player development and working with the staff, but anytime he dribbles he reminds me of that scene from the Office when Stanley dribbles a basketball (https://youtu.be/sEVG-w7hraU?t=57).
allday92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #55
jmizzy4ou
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I think the need is there even if Harmon is the lead guard. You always need two guys who you feel comfortable with in that role, because Harmon isn't going to play 40 minutes a game. I love Harkless, but wouldn't want him running the offense for even 10 minutes a game unless he dramatically improves his handles and decision making.
I agree. I would love another good ball handler and playmaker. I'm more concerned with the ability to make good decisions, than with handles.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #56
mict085
All-Conference

Harkless shouldnít even be considered a ball handler. If heís 1 of 2 primary ball handlers, weíre in deep Doo Doo. His strength is doing the dirty work. Mixing it up in the lane, getting tough rebounds, put backs, playing great defense. Occasionally, he can make shots 15 ft and in. Even less occasionally, shoot a 3.

We need another guard to help Harmon run the offense and handle the ball. We desperately need 2 talented post players to take some of the load off Harmon and the newbies coming in. If we canít get those players, weíll be staring at 7-10th place in conference and might be on the wrong side of the bubble.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #57
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
Harkless shouldnít even be considered a ball handler. If heís 1 of 2 primary ball handlers, weíre in deep Doo Doo. His strength is doing the dirty work. Mixing it up in the lane, getting tough rebounds, put backs, playing great defense. Occasionally, he can make shots 15 ft and in. Even less occasionally, shoot a 3.

We need another guard to help Harmon run the offense and handle the ball. We desperately need 2 talented post players to take some of the load off Harmon and the newbies coming in. If we canít get those players, weíll be staring at 7-10th place in conference and might be on the wrong side of the bubble.
We have Phipps and Cortez to help Harmon... If those guys can't help with ball-handling not sure why they are here.

The priority is upgrading athletic ability, size, and rebounding.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #58
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post

this could have applied to Cousins the year before lon moved him to PG ..

that seemed to work out well ..
BoulderSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:57 AM   #59
steverocks35
Final Four

Harkless is not in the same universe with Cousins as a ball-handler.
steverocks35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:04 AM   #60
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
Harkless is not in the same universe with Cousins as a ball-handler.
for the record i am very skeptical of Harkless as a pg

however lon did have him playing some point early in this season even with Harmon on the court ..
Old 03-23-2021, 10:05 AM   #61
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
for the record i am very skeptical of Harkless as a pg

however lon did have him playing some point early in this season even with Harmon on the court ..
And he probably figured out quickly that that is no bueno. lol
Old 03-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #62
CoachTalk
National Champion

bijan and Cj will be able to run some point.
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #63
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
bijan and Cj will be able to run some point.
That was my thought as well. But you never know about freshman. There are so many question marks going into next season.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:20 AM   #64
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Why would he be? I don't think there is anything about Harkless that says PG or primary ball handler.

Harmon was recruited as a PG.
I'm pretty sure Gibson played a lot of PG last year for NT.
Cortes is a PG that many around here are high on.
Noland can "handle the ball".

How many primary ball handler types do we need?
Old 03-23-2021, 10:23 AM   #65
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
That was my thought as well. But you never know about freshman. There are so many question marks going into next season.
Agree. I could see a couple transfers in and out. again. Typical especially this year.
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #66
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
this could have applied to Cousins the year before lon moved him to PG ..

that seemed to work out well ..
I could be wrong, but that is not the way I remember it. Lon promised Cousins he would get an opportunity to play the point and he kept his promise. Isaiah played the point (a position he also played some his senior year in high school) as a freshman at OU, but he struggled at first. I remember it well because a few posters on the board even questioned why he had been given a scholarship. All of that went away, of course, when the Cousins experiment proved to be highly successful.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:57 AM   #67
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
I could be wrong, but that is not the way I remember it. Lon promised Cousins he would get an opportunity to play the point and he kept his promise. Isaiah played the point (a position he also played some his senior year in high school) as a freshman at OU, but he struggled at first. I remember it well because a few posters on the board even questioned why he had been given a scholarship. All of that went away, of course, when the Cousins experiment proved to be highly successful.
cousins was moved to PG at the beginning of his senior year and was not very good his first month (i don't believe he had played much if any PG at OU the 3 years prior) but then became a very very good college PG ..

Jordan woodward was the starting PG the 2 years prior and was moved off the ball to start his JR year ..
Old 03-23-2021, 11:06 AM   #68
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Iíll add that nothing Iíve said about Cousins is meant to imply that Harkless should be a candidate to play the point next year. I agree with what WT and others have said about ball handlers. Thatís one thing there will not be a shortage of next season.

Iíll even throw in a promo on a player Iím excited about, C. J. Noland. If there is any doubt that he is a ball handler deluxe, watch his highlight videos. I wouldnít be at all surprised if Lon gives him a shot at playing the point, maybe not next year, but in the not too distant future.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #69
jmizzy4ou
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Why would he be? I don't think there is anything about Harkless that says PG or primary ball handler.

Harmon was recruited as a PG.
I'm pretty sure Gibson played a lot of PG last year for NT.
Cortes is a PG that many around here are high on.
Noland can "handle the ball".

How many primary ball handler types do we need?

I was simply replying to the poster(s) speculating Harkless will be our primary ball handler next year.....
Old 03-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #70
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
cousins was moved to PG at the beginning of his senior year and was not very good his first month (i don't believe he had played much if any PG at OU the 3 years prior) but then became a very very good college PG ..

Jordan woodward was the starting PG the 2 years prior and was moved off the ball to start his JR year ..
I agree with everything you said, except Cousins ALSO played the point early in his freshman season at OU. Lon promised to give him that chance when Lew Hill recruited him, and he was true to his word.

That was the experiment that didnít work out. Fortunately for Isaiah, and for OU, he would get another opportunity to play the point his senior season. This article confirms what I was talking about:

https://tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/o...6f787264d.html
Old 03-23-2021, 12:18 PM   #71
mict085
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
We have Phipps and Cortez to help Harmon... If those guys can't help with ball-handling not sure why they are here.

The priority is upgrading athletic ability, size, and rebounding.
Iím not sold on Phipps. Cortez and the other incoming freshman look like studs but itís hard to trust freshman right away. You never know.

I do agree that the priority must be the post. We have to upgrade the talent, athletic ability, and size. We have to be better and tougher rebounding and defending in the post.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #72
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
I agree with everything you said, except Cousins ALSO played the point early in his freshman season at OU. Lon promised to give him that chance when Lew Hill recruited him, and he was true to his word.

That was the experiment that didn’t work out. Fortunately for Isaiah, and for OU, he would get another opportunity to play the point his senior season. This article confirms what I was talking about:

https://tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/o...6f787264d.html
thanks for the link

Last edited by BoulderSooner; 03-23-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:28 PM   #73
soonerjunky
Walk-on

Let me get Tre Mitchell 6'9 235 from UMass or Kevin Marfo 6'8 245 from a&m. I'm going off of size alone, couldnt tell you anything about those guys.
soonerjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #74
vbdad
Starter

Quote:
Agreed. Go back a few posts and youíll see I was asking why we had an interest in a 5í 11Ē point guard? I still donít know, but Iím guessing our coaches think weíll need another point guard. Does that mean DeVion may not be coming back? I donít have a clue. I can only assume our coaches have a valid reason.

I also made it clear in that post, a quality big should be our number one objective.
Quote:
you don't want a good player to transfer to OU ??
I think it is wrong for players to jump from the place which gave them a chance. If he transfers Iíd love to have him which was my original comment.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #75
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
I think it is wrong for players to jump from the place which gave them a chance. If he transfers I’d love to have him which was my original comment.
I am confused... You think what is wrong? A player transferring to a different school?

Is it wrong for an employee to leave from one employer to another? What if that other employer pays them more, offers better benefits, is in a part of the country they want to live in, etc.

Is it wrong for me to move my bank account from Bank of America to Bank of Oklahoma?

Freedom of movement is a core tenant of being a free person.